The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EOY 2010 eligibility thread

Rhapsody, Spinner and Classic Rock are all eligible.

How do I treat Aftenposten and other publications which have more than one list?

A couple more questions that cropped up while indexing the NPR lists:

1. What rank values do I enter in the column for unranked lists? 1 for all albums listed? The number of albums listed? Other?

2. Of the three lists NPR offered, two were ranked and the third was not, with the two ranked lists being genre-specific. Do I enter each album's rank from its corresponding list into the same column of the spreadsheet, such that the NPR column has multiple 1's, 2's, 3's, etc?

Thanks again.

Shaun
How do I treat Aftenposten and other publications which have more than one list?
I'd say it's fine if you just add the international list at this stage and indicate that it's an international list in the column header, for example "Aftenposten - international".

Shaun
A couple more questions that cropped up while indexing the NPR lists:

1. What rank values do I enter in the column for unranked lists? 1 for all albums listed? The number of albums listed? Other?

2. Of the three lists NPR offered, two were ranked and the third was not, with the two ranked lists being genre-specific. Do I enter each album's rank from its corresponding list into the same column of the spreadsheet, such that the NPR column has multiple 1's, 2's, 3's, etc?

Thanks again.
1. 1
2. I think all genres are included in the longer list, so I think only that one should be included.

Technikart and Magic eligible.

Time magazine ineligible.

Eligible: Amazon, Guardian
Ineligible: Spin songs, INDIeREKTE

Eligible: Pretty Much Amazing, The Quietus, des blogueurs, Slant (singles), State
Ineligible: Pop-Rock

Eligible: Consequence of Sound (songs), BBC 6

Everything's eligible today: Telerama and Prefix (albums) as well as Pitchfork, Jenesaispop and Spinner (songs)

A long list of eligibles...

--- Albums ---
Billboard, Jenesaispop, Cokemachineglow, Slant, Nöjesguiden, Resident Advisor, Pitchfork, Idolator, Magnet, Musikexpress, No Ripcord, The Guardian, Les Inrockuptibles, Libération, The Sun, Playground, Treble, Tiny Mix Tapes, Consequence of Sound, Under the Radar, Inertia, Rocksound, Muso's Guide

--- Songs lists not already in the spreadsheet ---
Dagbladet, Musikexpress, The Sun, Playground

Ineligible:
Club Fonograma, Popklikk, CultureDeLuxe, This actually isn't bad.

Henrik
Ineligible:
Club Fonograma

Could you elaborate as to why this site is ineligible? Thanks in advance.

Henrik, a lot of new lists have been posted since last week's eligibility update - it might actually be easier to note the ones that AREN'T eligible, as I recognize most of these sources from previous years.

Harold Wexler
Henrik, a lot of new lists have been posted since last week's eligibility update - it might actually be easier to note the ones that AREN'T eligible, as I recognize most of these sources from previous years.
Sorry, I just haven't had the time to look at this, as we're having family coming to us over Christmas. I will look at this as soon as I can!

Henrik
Harold Wexler
Sorry, I just haven't had the time to look at this, as we're having family coming to us over Christmas. I will look at this as soon as I can!

No worries, Henrik. Enjoy the holidays!

HowlinAndrew
Henrik
Ineligible:
Club Fonograma

National lists are included if there's an international list as well, but this list only includes music from Latin America and Spain, so it's unfair to the rest of the world (although most likely all other lists are unfair to Latin America and Spain...).

Eligible (albums):
Nerve, The Wire, Vibrations, The Age, The Line of Best Fit, OOR, Heaven, Muzikalia, Spex, Close-Up, WAN2, Gaffa, Heineken, Playground, Blow Up, Kalporz, Soundi, The Skinny, Under the Radar, eMusic, adequacy.net, Quart, Sentire Ascoltare, Les Inrockuptibles (extended)

Eligible (songs):
Muzikalia, Spex, Heineken, Mixmag, Paste, Les Inrockuptibles

Ineligible:
Goûte mes disques, Rjominn, I Heart AU

Henrik
HowlinAndrew
Henrik
Ineligible:
Club Fonograma

National lists are included if there's an international list as well, but this list only includes music from Latin America and Spain, so it's unfair to the rest of the world (although most likely all other lists are unfair to Latin America and Spain...).

oh, but there's an international list that preceded that "Spanish language" list. It can be found here: http://www.clubfonograma.com/2010/12/club-fonogramas-best-songs-of-2010.html

If this changes the website's eligibility (and I figure it should, because as alluded to in another thread, this site is really seen as the Latin American equivalent of Pitchfork [influentially at least]), please let us know because they also have an album list for both "Latin" and "non-Latin"

That's great, HowlinAndrew. They will be included then.

Eligible

Albums:
Humo, Le Monde, The Milk Factory, Textura, XLR8R, Metromix, Boomkat, Mixmag, DJ Mag, Dagsavisen, Zündfunk, Intro, Laut, 78s, De Standaard, State, Hot Press, Little White Earbuds, Pedestrian.tv, Lost at Sea, Fluctuat

Songs:
Metromix, Groove, DJ Mag, Dagsavisen, Intro, Laut, Hot Press, Little White Earbuds, Pedestrian.tv

Ineligible
Mowno, Fishpork
In both cases, the Alexa ranking/sites linking in weren't good enough.

Note 1:
Some of these albums lists are very long and include a lot of albums on no other lists (=time consuming to add to the spreadsheet). Shaun, it's definitely ok if those lists are added at a later stage.

Note 2:
The singles lists from Textura and Boomkat might also be added to the songs sheet, but they include many EPs etc. where it's not really a vote for a song so I'm inclined to leave them out.

Are you sure Groove Magazine and Little White Earbuds are eligible?

Groove Magazine: Traffic Rank 13.3 million, Sites linking in not available (presumably because there are so few)
Little White Earbuds: Traffic Rank 9.2 million, Sites linking in 28

Chris
Are you sure Groove Magazine and Little White Earbuds are eligible?

Groove Magazine: Traffic Rank 13.3 million, Sites linking in not available (presumably because there are so few)
Little White Earbuds: Traffic Rank 9.2 million, Sites linking in 28
I believe Groove is an in-print magazine and they are always included. As for Little White Earbuds I am a bit confused. I get two different Alexa ranks, the one you gave is for littlewhiteearbuds.wordpress.com but for littlewhiteearbuds.com the stats are
# Alexa Traffic Rank: 204,527
# Sites Linking In: 293
So...I guess it should be eligible...

Henrik !
To make it easier to create the final list of each year, why don't you impose to us a model for the publication of each EOY list ?

For exemple :
01. Name1 - Song1
02. Name2 - Song2

Romain
Henrik !
To make it easier to create the final list of each year, why don't you impose to us a model for the publication of each EOY list ?

For exemple :
01. Name1 - Song1
02. Name2 - Song2
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that every list should be written the same way so that a program can be written that includes all the lists into a spreadsheet?

Henrik
Romain
Henrik !

For exemple :
01. Name1 - Song1
02. Name2 - Song2
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that every list should be written the same way so that a program can be written that includes all the lists into a spreadsheet?

I think this is supposed to be a guideline for people who transcribe lists to make it easier to add into a spreadsheet.

If that is the case, I would suggest using 1 delimiter instead of 2, and make it a less common character such as : instead of . or -

Grmmmmphhhh ! It's frustrating to don't be able to express what I want.
But Chris translate very well what I meant.

To includes lists in the spreadsheet, I think it would be easier for you if all the lists had the same shape. No ?
Same numbering, same delimeters, name before title or title before name...all these things.

Well, I leave up to Chris and Shaun to decide if a certain format is needed.

Eligible:

Albums
Rolling Stone Germany, HipHopDX, Chronicart, Falter

Songs
Resident Advisor, Treble, XLR8R, Muso's Guide

Ineligible: None

Note: I am not 100% sure about Falter, a weekly magazine in Vienna, but I guess it should be included unless someone knows it hasn't got much of a reputation as a music magazine.

Ineligible: Playlist Society

If Playlist Society is a one-writer blog by Benjamin Fogel (I don't understand enough French to be sure about this), then it's definitely ineligible. Otherwise the Alexa stats would have been just OK if it was a music-site only, but since it is about lots of other things (films, books and video games, etc.) as well, I think it falls just below the eligibility limit instead.

Eligible

Albums
Laut, Mondosonoro, Rue89, Indiepoprock, Rockdelux, Scanner FM, Go Mag

Songs
Magic, Rockdelux, Scanner FM, Go Mag

Ineligible
All Music Guide (songs)

Harold and Chris,

I don't have much time to check the eligibilities until Sunday night, but if a source has been used before it is most definitely eligible again. And I'll try to check this thread if you have questions about any particular lists.

Henrik
Ineligible: Playlist Society

If Playlist Society is a one-writer blog by Benjamin Fogel (I don't understand enough French to be sure about this), then it's definitely ineligible. Otherwise the Alexa stats would have been just OK if it was a music-site only, but since it is about lots of other things (films, books and video games, etc.) as well, I think it falls just below the eligibility limit instead.

You are right, I check and it's one only guy.

P.S. :
for the French, do you have the top 2010 albums of the magazines "Tsugi" and "New Noise", I don't have the possibility to buy it or found it on internet but I know they make one.

Henrik, I'm not sure how Boomkat is eligible - it appears to be a record store, not a critical blog. It's an interesting list, but I have doubts about its eligibility.

Harold Wexler
Henrik, I'm not sure how Boomkat is eligible - it appears to be a record store, not a critical blog. It's an interesting list, but I have doubts about its eligibility.
I have my doubts too, but there are a few record stores that I have included over the years - Rough Trade, FNAC, eMusic, Rhapsody, Amazon...

Sorry for the delay of the eligibility decisions. I think I will find time tonight.

Henrik
Harold Wexler
I have my doubts too, but there are a few record stores that I have included over the years - Rough Trade, FNAC, eMusic, Rhapsody, Amazon...

Sorry for the delay of the eligibility decisions. I think I will find time tonight.

Sorry to poke my nose into something that clearly doesn't involve me, but if it's good enough for Metacritic...

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2010/music-critic-top-ten-lists-best-of-2010/?tag=supplementary-nav;article;3

Eligible

Albums
The Agit Reader, Austin Town Hall, Ondarock, Plattentests, Rockol, Storia della musica, OneThirtyBPM, ALIAS/Il Manifesto, The Silent Ballet, Popjustice, Sputnikmusic, Hottracks, Allmusic, fRoots, Gaffa

Songs
The Agit Reader, Austin Town Hall, MTV, Screenagers, New York Post, Plattentests, Zündfunk, Pretty Much Amazing, OneThirtyBPM, The Silent Ballet, Popjustice, Juno Plus, Popnews, Gaffa

Ineligible
Weiv, Scatterbrain

Harold and Chris, exclude Popjustice for now. See the Popjustice thread for discussion.

Eligible: Digg

New Noise and Super 45 are also eligible.

Eligible

Albums
Now, Chart Attack, Other Music, DIY, Piccadilly Records, Screenagers, Dagensskiva, JustPressPlay, Adequacy

Songs
JustPressPlay, Adequacy

Uncertainties

I'm not sure about I guess I'm Floating. Their EOD list was deemed ineligible because it was from one writer, but there actually seems to be a collaboration between two guys and the Alexa stats is decent.

A Google translation of the presentation of Studio B's list is this:
"The official list of the radio, the choice of the most representative national (10) and foreign (30) of the current production in accordance with the 'mainstream' of the entire music program radio. The list is not exclusive single-oriented and made it to the Editor's own feeling for the quality and relevance of the tracks.
Edited by Slobodan Konjović , presenter Svetlana Djolovic"

If it truly is the "editor's own feeling" and not the "editors' own feelings" then it has to be excluded because it's only one person behind the list. The word mainstream is also a bit worrying but perhaps it means something like "overall" in this case. There are surely more mainstream lists than this one.

Village Voice's Pazz & Jop is of course eligible, and so is Complex. Albums and songs from both.

I don't want to keep harping on this too much, but there are a few "eligible" publications missing from the 2010 spreadsheet on the first page. One I can think of Club Fonograma.

Have Eye Weekly (Canada), Blitz (Spain), Rumba (Finland), or Gaffa (Denmark) posted any lists?

HowlinAndrew
I don't want to keep harping on this too much, but there are a few "eligible" publications missing from the 2010 spreadsheet on the first page. One I can think of Club Fonograma.
You are right that Club Fonograma has not yet been added to the albums spreadsheet. What others are missing?

Henrik
HowlinAndrew
You are right that Club Fonograma has not yet been added to the albums spreadsheet. What others are missing?

Yes, that one's my fault - I overlooked the post where it was ruled eligible. I'll make sure to add it in the next update.

A quick question: Club Fonograma would be considered a U.S. source, correct?

Chris grouped Club Fonograma in the USA + Canada section, but wouldn't the rest of the world be more appropriate? The country could not be more limited than South America I think.

Henrik
Chris grouped Club Fonograma in the USA + Canada section, but wouldn't the rest of the world be more appropriate? The country could not be more limited than South America I think.

That would make sense to me. That way, their regional list could be grouped with all the other national-only lists from other overseas publications, making it easier for you to tweak the formula accordingly for all those columns at once.

For 2009 it seems you deemed Club Fonograma ineligible in this topic.

If it's now eligible or if I'm misreading that topic, we might also want to add their best albums of the decade.

Stephan
For 2009 it seems you deemed Club Fonograma ineligible in this topic.

If it's now eligible or if I'm misreading that topic, we might also want to add their best albums of the decade.
Well, my rule for EOD (2000s) and EOY lists have been to include national lists only if there's a corresponding international list. The international list of songs that was referred to in the old thread was from Rock en las Americas which I still don't think should be included.

Two things :
- for the french, I don't find the Tsugi and VoxPop (I don't know if Xroads made one this year)lists. If someone have these magazines, don't forget to put the lists.
- for the results : the three subcategories (USA+Canada, English+Ireland, and Rest of the world)they still have any sense ? Maybe one and only one categorie can be considered ? More simple for you, no ?

Eligible: Swedish Radio P3, Porcys, Alterered Zones.

Ineligible: 92.3 NOW