Go to the NEW FORUM
Welcome to the '70s everyone. I have exams at the end of this month so the deadline will be one week later than it would normally be.
You can post a list of anywhere between 5 and 20 films (or more, but only 20 will be counted) from the year we're covering. The deciding factor in terms of release dates is the RYM list and the top 10 of each year will go on to the final top 100 round. The deadline is February 5th.
The points scheme is as follows:
1. 50 points
However, these are the maximum amounts of points. If you want to put certain films on your list but don't want to give them too many points, you can choose to give these less points than in this scheme (but never more) to decrease the impact on the overall results. If you don't specifically state that you want to give (some of) your films fewer points, I will assume the standard scheme.
Here are some lists to remind you of the great (and awful) films released in 1970, from a variety of sources:
Well, I screwed up both the IMDb and RottenTomatoes links; sorry about that in case anyone besides me uses them.
To me this seems like something of an inbetween year, so I am modest with my points.
1. Le boucher [The Butcher], 30p
2. En kärlekshistoria [A Swedish Love Story], 15p
3. Gimme Shelter, 10p
4. Five Easy Pieces, 3p
5. MASH [M*A*S*H], 2p
6. Patton, 1p
Strange... I thought my list would be longer.
1.Five Easy Pieces
2.Little Big Man
7.Ballad of Cable Hogue
8.Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
10.A Man Called Horse
I remember the titles of a lot of the movies, but it's too long ago that I've seen them.
1. Il conformista [The Conformist] (Bernardo Bertolucci)
2. Le boucher [The Butcher] (Claude Chabrol)
3. Le cercle rouge [The Red Circle] (Jean-Pierre Melville)
4. Les choses de la vie [The Things of Life] (Claude Sautet)
5. Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto [Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion] (Elio Petri)
6. Little Big Man (Arthur Penn)
7. MASH (Robert Altman)
8. L'aveu [The Confession] (Costa-Gavras)
9. Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson)
10. L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo [The Bird With the Crystal Plumage] (Dario Argento)
11. Zabriskie Point (Michelangelo Antonioni)
12. The Go-Between (Joseph Losey)
13. Tristana (Luis Buñuel)
14. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Billy Wilder)
15. Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner)
16. Le voyou [The Crook] (Claude Lelouch)
17. The Aristocats (Wolfgang Reitherman)
18. Élise ou la vraie vie [Élise, or Real Life] (Michel Drach)
19. Peau d'âne [Donkey Skin] (Jacques Demy)
1. Even Dwarfs Started Small / Werner Herzog / West Germany
2. M*A*S*H / Robert Altman / U.S.
3. The Green Wall / Armando Robles-Godoy / Peru
4. Le Cercle Rouge / Jean-Pierre Melville / France
5. Claire's Knee / Eric Rohmer / France
6. The Landlord / Hal Ashby / U.S.
7. Husbands / John Cassavetes / U.S.
8. Dodes'ka-den / Akira Kurosawa / Japan
9. Zabriskie Point / Michelangelo Antonioni / U.S.
10. Gimme Shelter / Al & David Maysles / U.S.
11. The Conformist / Bernardo Bertolucci / Italy
12. Five Easy Pieces / Bob Rafelson / U.S.
13. The American Soldier / Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany
14. Little Big Man / Arthur Penn / U.S.
15. The Ballad of Cable Hogue / Sam Peckinpah / U.S.
16. The Spider's Stratagem / Bernardo Bertolucci / Italy
17. Rio das Mortes / Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany
18. Wanda / Barbara Loden / U.S.
19. El Topo / Alejandro Jodorowsky / Mexico
20. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage / Dario Argento / Italy
I've only seen three films from this year, none are among my favorites and two are by the same director.
So, since apparently Tristana doesn't exist on Netflix, I'm going to try to watch Red Circle and Claire's Knee just so I can vote. I'd appreciate any other suggestions. (Also I can watch Even Dwarfs Started Small because I just remembered I bought a Herzog collection that has it.)
Looking ahead, 1972-1977 are consistently incredible, but I'm not a huge fan of this year.
On a side note, why is Kings Of The Road so hard to find in America? You'd think with the popularity of Paris Texas and Wings Of Desire it'd be a logical release for someone.
Sorry for not posting anymore in the 80s poll, but halfway I simply lost interest. Without doubt, the eighties must be the worst decade in film history. The 70s seem more promising.
This year a lot of music-oriented movies.
03. Gimme Shelter
04. El Topo
05. The Aristocats
07. Let It Be
08. Five Easy Pieces
10. I drink your blood
1. There Was a Crooked Man - Joseph L. Mankiewicz
2. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Billy Wilder
3. La strategia del ragno (The Spider’s Stratagem) - Bernardo Bertolucci
4. Little Big Man - Arthur Penn
5. L’enfant sauvage (The Wild Child) - François Truffaut
6. The Ballad of Cable Hogue - Sam Peckimpah
7. El bosque del lobo (The Ancines Woods) - Pedro Olea
8. Two Mules for Sister Sara - Don Siegel
9. Dodes'ka-Den - Akira Kurosawa
10. Kelly’s Heroes - Brian Hutton
11. Le boucher (The Butcher) - Claude Chabrol
12. Tristana - Luis Buñuel
13. Chisum - Andrew Mclaglen
14. The Aristocats - Wolfgang Reitherman
15. Brewster McCloud – Robert Altman
01. Il Conformista (Bernardo Bertolucci)
02. M*A*S*H (Robert Altman) 35
03. Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner) 30
04. Le Genou de Claire (Eric Rohmer) 25
05. Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson) 20
06. Le Cercle Rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville) 18
07. Gimme Shelter (Albert Maysles & David Maysles) 16
08. Tristana (Luis Buñuel) 14
09. Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicolas Roeg) 10
10. El Topo (Alexandro Jodorowsky) 7
Definitely not the best year of the 70s.
I'm going to sit this year out because I only have seen 4 movies and only two of those are worthy of ranking. I am going to put a good word in for Beyond the Valley of the Dolls which I'm kind of surprised isn't on a list yet on a music forum! Too embarrassing?
1. Il conformista [The Conformist]
3. Ucho [The Ear]
4. En kärlekshistoria [A Swedish Love Story]
5. The Go-Between
7. Five Easy Pieces
8. Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen [Even Dwarfs Started Small]
10. The Aristocats
2. Godfather II
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
5. The Sting
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Taxi Driver
8. Apocalypse Now
10. Annie Hall
11. Star Wars (A New Hope)
13. The Last Picture Show
14. The French Connection
16. All the President's Men
17. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
18. Being There
19. Kramer vs. Kramer
20. The Deer Hunter
This is only for 1970 Henry, not the whole '70s.
3. Five Easy Pieces
4. Little Big Man
6. I Never Sang for My Father
7. Love Story
8. Lovers and Other Strangers
Excellent, welcome to the film polls Henry. Hope you can participate in the upcoming years as well!
Since the copy of Tristana I picked up had no subtitles even though the Amazon listing said it did, I suppose my list is ready.
The Conformist (3)
Claire's Knee (2)
Le Boucher (2)
The Spider's Strategem (1)
The Red Circle (1)
1972-1977 are all some of the best years in cinema, why is 1970 so effing weak?
At least there's Performance. I love Roeg's use of sound and cutaways in the two films of his I've seen.
The Conformist is the only movie on the list in the TSPDT top 100. It's a good film, but I find it has some issues. What I like about it is the concept of the main character as a conformist, going along with the fascists while they're in power, then railing against them when they're not. But, the dubbing is pretty terrible and more obvious than most Italian films that dub. So much so that when I first watched the film, I paused it and checked imdb to make sure Italian really was the original language. Also the whole Plato's Cave metaphor doesn't really make sense in context. I'm not sure lack of broader knowledge had anything to do with the country accepting fascism and the film didn't sell it.
Getting in at the wire...surprised to find I haven't seen nearly as many films from this year as I thought.
1. Five Easy Pieces
3. The Conformist
4. Little Big Man
The first results are in, and the first #1 gets four #2 votes but not a single #1 vote:
#. Title (Director) - Points/Votes/#1s
1. MASH [M*A*S*H] (Robert Altman) - 265/9/0
2. Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson) - 245/10/2
3. Il conformista [The Conformist] (Bernardo Bertolucci) - 233/7/3
4. Little Big Man (Arthur Penn) - 157/6/0
5. Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner) - 152/6/1
6. Le cercle rouge [The Red Circle] (Jean-Pierre Melville) - 134/5/1
7. Performance (Nicolas Roeg) - 124/4/2
8. Gimme Shelter (Albert Maysles / Davis Maysles / Charlotte Zwerin) - 118/6/0
9. Woodstock (Michael Wadleigh) - 103/4/0
10. Le Boucher [The Butcher] (Claude Chabrol) - 82/4/0