Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OWS discussion : here !

I'm opening a new thread because it was a great discussion we started in the other board
, but that board was musical and our discussion is geting more and more political.

So please tell us what you think of OWS and all the indignant and protest movements all around the world.

Re: OWS discussion : here !

Thanks for keeping this thread going, and in the appropriate location.

Yeah, I hope nobody felt like I was attacking them.

It's just, I had views more close to OWS back when I was in college. But, when I took economics courses in college I looked back on my old views as short sighted and arrogant.

Also, when I first came out of college my attitude was "I have my degree, I DESERVE the exact job I want." And I feel I had to go through maturation and humbling process to decide that I hadn't really worked as hard as I could have in college, and that I had to just take a job I could get now and train harder to get the kind of job I wanted.

So, I'm not judging OWS protestors negatively. I get it. They are college-era me.

BillAdama

Also, when I first came out of college my attitude was "I have my degree, I DESERVE the exact job I want." And I feel I had to go through maturation and humbling process to decide that I hadn't really worked as hard as I could have in college, and that I had to just take a job I could get now and train harder to get the kind of job I wanted.

So, I'm not judging OWS protestors negatively. I get it. They are college-era me.

This is exactly what's happening everywhere and a very sincere view. The kids are not alright. I'm one of them and they just don't want to make some sacrifices for a few years to achieve a good job. They want things so easily. Like they are born special and this is an excuse for why they'll achieve big things after college. We need to put some hard work in it. Most people in colleges want the less work possible and the best job possible in each of their areas after it's over. A degree is not even all that it used to be these days. I'm already planning to get a Doctor's degree because i want to work in the diplomacy/chancellery area and is just not easy to get into it.

Even if you mature and don't grasp how the economy actually works, it's not that hard to understand that something's wrong when 50 percent of the country is below the poverty line. I think for most, "maturing" has more to do with accepting that nothing is going to change and you just take what you can. It's a terrible world view.

The problem is that things HAVE changed: for the worse because of this middle aged apathy over the years. Here's the thing though, early 30 somethings aren't the same breed as a decade ago because we came out of college when the awful economy was just starting. It's also the first generation where almost everybody went to college so a degree really wasn't a leg up on the competition. I would argue that the student loan crisis is worse than the housing crisis. We have a generation of people that are saddled in debt, working dead end jobs well below their education level. Despite what people say, most didn't go to school to major in basket weaving, they majored in things that apply to real world professions. But, those professions don't have openings because our parents don't have the money to retire and companies who downsized hire the people they fired when budget allows. These 30 somethings are the people at the OWS protests. College age kids don't know the half of it yet.

Republicans changed the lock on heaven's door
Keys to the kingdom don't fil no more
The poor working man Iike me and you
If we ain't got money we won 'I get through
If there's a God I think He's got to bottle up and go
If there's still a God in heaven He's got to hit that lonesome road

Ry Cooder on his new album

Same could be said in France with UMP (Sarkozy's party)