Go to the NEW FORUM
The topic I made this morning was deleted, so please repost your list if you had posted it already because I have not seen a single list
You can post a list of anywhere between 5 and 20 films (or more, but only 20 will be counted) from the year we're covering. The deciding factor in terms of release dates is the RYM list and the top 10 of each year will go on to the final top 100 round. The deadline is December 5th.
The points scheme is as follows:
1. 50 points
However, these are the maximum amounts of points. If you want to put certain films on your list but don't want to give them too many points, you can choose to give these less points than in this scheme (but never more) to decrease the impact on the overall results. If you don't specifically state that you want to give (some of) your films fewer points, I will assume the standard scheme.
Here are some lists to remind you of the great (or awful) films released in 1993, from a variety of sources:
1. Short Cuts / Robert Altman / U.S.
2. Naked / Mike Leigh / U.K.
3. Time Indefinite / Ross McElwee / U.S.
4. The Puppetmaster / Hou Hsiao-hsien / Taiwan
5. Trois couleurs: Bleu / Krzysztof Kieslowski / France
6. Red Rock West / John Dahl / U.S.
7. Sonatine / Takeshi Kitano / Japan
8. Fearless / Peter Weir / U.S.
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas / Henry Selick / U.S.
10. Map of the Human Heart / Vincent Ward / New Zealand
11. The Age of Innocence / Martin Scorsese / U.S.
12. Dangerous Game / Abel Ferrara / U.S.
13. Body Snatchers / Abel Ferrara / U.S.
14. Menace II Society / Allen & Albert Hughes / U.S.
15. Blue / Derek Jarman / U.K.
1. Short Cuts
2. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
3. Schindler's List
4. Groundhog Day
5. Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colours: Blue]
6. The Nightmare Before Christmas
7. Falling Down
8. Bad Boy Bubby
9. 喜宴 [The Wedding Banquet]
10. In the Name of the Father
11. The Piano
My big recommendations for this year are TC: Blue and Dazed and Confused. I'm surprised Short Cuts is doing so well. It surprises me how Altman can make these films with 30 characters without a single one who is likable, self-aware, or half-resembling a single person I've ever met.
I'm currently only waiting on Farewell My Concubine, Faraway So Close and Naked to vote. Though I'd like to see Puppetmaster if it were possible in region 1, and I'll probably wait for Petri's ballot for recommendations.
1. Jardines colgantes (Hanging Gardens) – Pablo Llorca
2. Madregilda – Francisco Regueiro
3. Groundhog Day – Harold Ramis
4. The Baby of Mâcon – Peter Greenaway
5. A Perfect World – Clint Eastwood
6. A Bronx Tale – Robert de Niro
7. Red Rock West – John Dahl
8. Sleepless in Seattle – Nora Ephron
9. L' arbre, le maire et la médiathèque (The Tree, The Mayor and the Mediatheque) – Éric Rohmer
10. La madre muerta (Dead Mother) – Juanma Bajo Ulloa
11. The Remains of the Day – James Ivory
12. Tout ça...pour ça! (All That...For This?!) – Claude Lelouch
13. Cronos – Guillermo del Toro
14. La ardilla roja (The Red Squirrel) – Julio Médem
15. Short Cuts – Robert Altman
16. Carlito's Way – Brian de Palma
17. The Piano – Jane Campion
18. 霸王别姬 (Farewell My Concubine) – Chen Kaige
19. Manhattan Murder Mystery – Woody Allen
20. Much Ado About Nothing – Kenneth Branagh
21. The Nightmare Before Christmas – Henry Selick
22. M. Butterfly – David Cronemberg
23. Trois couleurs: Bleu (Three Colours: Blue) – Krzysztof Kieślowski
24. Schindler's List – Steven Spielberg
25. Les visiteurs (The Visitors) – Jean-Marie Poiré
26. In the Line of Fire – Wolfgang Petersen
27. Acción mutante (Mutant Action) – Álex de la Iglesia
28. The Man Without a Face – Mel Gigson
29. The Three Musketeers – Stephen Herek
30. The Age of Innocence – Martin Scorsese
31. Falling Down – Joel Schumacher
32. Caro diario (Dear Diary) – Nanni Moretti
33. The Pelican Brief – Alan J. Pakula
34. The Firm – Sydney Pollack
35. In the Name of the Father – Jim Sheridan
01. Naked (Mike Leigh)
02. Jurassic Park (steven Spielberg) 35
03. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg) 33
04. In the Name of the Father (Jim Sheridan)
05. Xi yan / The Wedding Banquet (Ang Lee)
06. Trois Couleurs: Bleu (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
07. La Ardilla Roja (Julio Medem)
08. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis)
09. Ba wang bie ji / Farewell My Concubine (Kaige Chen)
10. True Romance (Tony Scott) 10
11. Carlito's Way (Brian Da Palma) 9
12. Caro Diario (Nanni Moretti) 8
13. Clean, Shaven (Lodge H. Kerrigan) 7
14. The Piano (Jane Campion) 6
15. The Remains of the Day (James Ivory) 5
1. Schindler's List
2. Dazed and Confused
3. Short Cuts
4. The Piano
5. Groundhog Day
7. The Fugitive
9. True Romance
10. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
1. Wallace & Gromit in the Wrong Trousers - Nick Park
2. The Piano - Jane Campion
3. Short Cuts - Robert Altman
4. Groundhog Day - Harold Ramis
5. Caro diario - Nanni Moretti
6. La classe américaine - Michel Hazanavicius
7. Les gens normaux n'ont rien d'exceptionnel - Laurence Ferreira Barbosa
8. Cible émouvante - Pierre Salvadori
9. Cuisine et dépendances - Philippe Muyl
10. Arizona Dream - Emir Kusturica
11. Smoking/No Smoking - Alain Resnais
12. Trois couleurs: Bleu - Krzysztof Kieślowski
13. ソナチネ [Sonatine] - Takeshi Kitano
14. Naked - Mike Leigh
15. Schindler's List - Steven Spielberg
16. Manhattan Murder Mystery - Woody Allen
17. The Remains of the Day - James Ivory
18. Raining Stones - Ken Loach
I don't really see why not, if films can do their thing in 30 minutes it shouldn't need to last 200. Wrong Trousers is probably going to be on my list as well.
If 25 hour films are eligible, so are 30 minute films.
If we did a 20's poll, I'd at least hope Un Chien Andalou would be.
Its mostly fluff but its good fluff.
1 -Groundhog Day
2 -Dazed and Confused
3 -Red Rock West
4 -Jurassic Park
5 -The Fugitive
6 -Demolition Man
8 -Hard Target
As long as they were released as a film and shown in (a) theater(s), even 1 minute films are eligible.
Quite a good year:
1. The Scent of the Green Papaya
2. 32 short films about Glenn Gould
3. The Piano
4. Groundhog Day
5. Farewell My Concubine
7. The wrong trousers
8. Short Cuts
10.The remains of the day
11.Trois Couleurs Bleu
13.A Bronx Tale
14.The Age of Innocence
15.The Wedding Banquet
17.Red Rock West
19.Trois Couleurs Blanc
20.This Boy's Life
Now I need to find some Brakhage stuff to watch.
I need a few rulings.
First: Are anime OVAs eligible? For instance, Rorouni Kenshin: Betrayal?
Second: What year should we consider On The Silver Globe? It was directed 1976-1977, then ordered destroyed, then reconstructed from film salvaged by the production crew, then showed at Cannes in 1988, then came out in 1989.
Because, if we consider it 1989, you can equally argue that Passion of Joan of Arc is 1981.
Rorouni Kenshin: Betrayal was released as a film, so it's eligible. Regarding The Silver Globe, I guess it's simplest to just stick to our original rule and follow the RYM release date, which is 1989. For The Passion it's 1928.
2. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
3. Short Cuts
4. ソナチネ [Sonatine]
5. Falling Down
7. In the Name of the Father
8. The Piano
9. Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colours: Blue]
10. True Romance
11. A Perfect World
12. The Fugitive
13. 方世玉 [Fong Sai Yuk]
14. Groundhog Day
15. Pölynimurikauppiaat [Suckers]
16. Bound by Honor [Blood In, Blood Out: Bound by Honor]
17. This Boy's Life
18. Dazed and Confused
19. 喜宴 [The Wedding Banquet]
20. The Nightmare Before Christmas
1. Short Cuts
2. Dazed and Confused
3. Groundhog Day
4. The Fugitive
5. Nightmare Before Christmas
6. Waynes World 2
7. Searching For Bobby Fischer
8. Jurassic Park
9. Cool Runnings
Three Colors: Blue
Dazed and Confused
The Wrong Trousers
In The Line Of Fire
Farewell My Concubine
The Age Of Innocence
The Sandlot (3 points)
Short Cuts (2 points)
Jurassic Park (2 points)
Faraway, So Close! (1 point)
I'd like to hear from some of the Short Cuts fans what they see in it. I see it as very holier than thou social commentary, and I see the characters as mostly midwestern stereotypes. (Or maybe 'Holier then them' is more accurate than 'Holier than thou'. Altman has a tendency of condescending his characters.)
Blue was a big surprise to me. It's amazing how good at film you can make with no visuals except a big blue screen in your face.
What an incredible year for cinéma !
I am extremely surprised that "The remains of the days" don't make a better position. It's for me one of the all-time best "english language" film.
Two comments for the French films "Germinal" and "Smoking/No smoking". You have here the two sides of French cinema. On one side, a huge fresco with a lot of money, an adaptation of the novel of Victor Hugo. I recommand this for those who go to the cinema just for the "show". On the other side "Smoking/No smoking" an incredible film but a lot more difficult to appreciate, almost theater, thoughts about life.
1. Trois couleurs : Bleu (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
2. The Remains of the Day (James Ivory)
3. Germinal (Claude Berri)
4. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg)
5. Ma saison préférée (André Téchiné)
6. The Piano (Jane Campion)
7. Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano)
8. L'Odeur de la papaye verte (Tran Anh Hung)
9. Ba wang bie ji (Kaige Chen)
10. Manhattan Murder Mystery (Woody Allen)
11. Naked (Mike Leigh)
12. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick)
13. Mina Tannenbaum (Martine Dugowson)
14. La classe américaine (Michel Hazanavicius)
15. Smoking/No smoking (Alain Resnais)
16. Dangerous Game (Abel Ferrara)
17. Caro diario (Nanni Moretti)
18. Cible émouvante (Pierre Salvadori)
19. Arizona Dream (Emir Kusturica)
1. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg)
2. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis)
3. Carlito's Way (Brian De Palma)
4. The Piano (Jane Campion)
5. Dazed And Confused (Richard Linklater)
6. Three Colours: Blue (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
7. Naked (Mike Leigh)
8. The Fugitive (Andrew Davis)
9. Philadelphia (Jonathan Demme)
10. Wallace & Gromit In The Wrong Trousers (Nick Park)
1. Wallace & Gromit in the Wrong Trousers
2. Short Cuts
3. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
4. Schindler's List
5. Groundhog Day
6. Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colours: Blue]
7. The Nightmare Before Christmas
8. Falling Down
9. Bad Boy Bubby
10. 喜宴 [The Wedding Banquet]
11. In the Name of the Father
12. The Piano
I've seen a total of six films from 1993. Five of them were good:
1. Philadelphia (30 pts.)
2. The Wrong Trousers (20 pts.)
3. Groundhog Day (15 pts.)
4. The Sandlot (10 pts.)
5. Rudy (8 pts.)
1) Sleepless in Seattle
2) Jurassic Park
4) Dazed and Confused
5) The Nightmare Before Christmas
6) Groundhog Day
7) Cool Runnings
8) Carlito’s Way
9) Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
10) The Man Without a Face
11) The Wrong Trousers
I would've expected Schindler's List to win this easily, but I guess I forgot which boards I was posting on.
Title (Director) - Points/Votes/#1s
1. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis) - 348/13/1
2. Short Cuts (Robert Altman) - 267/8/2
3. Dazed And Confused (Richard Linklater) - 218/7/0
4. Naked (Mike Leigh) - 205/7/2
5. Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers (Nick Park) - 180/7/2
6. Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg) - 178/6/2
7. The Piano (Jane Campion) - 170/8/0
8. Trois Couleurs: Bleu [Three Colours: Blue] (Krzysztof Kieslowski) - 168/8/1
9. Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg) - 121/5/0
10. Philadelphia (Jonathan Demme) - 99/4/0
Got pretty close:
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Four directors join Yimou and the Coen brothers in having two films in the finale. Spielberg gets two films through in one year, and Demme, Kieslowski and Altman already had one in the next round.
You actually dealt with several engaging things in this article. I came across it by using Bing and I’ve got to admit that I am now subscribed to your website, it is very decent
Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again. Womens Flat Sandals
If your looking for Online Illinois license plate sticker renewals then you have need to come to the right place.We offer the fastest Illinois license plate sticker renewals in the state.legendados
I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.
Find out these pointers read on and learn to know how to submit an application doing this that you policy your corporation today. doramasflix
You’re the best, It’s posts like this that keep me coming back and checking this weblog regularly, thanks for the info! Doramas flix
This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. اهم مباريات اليوم
This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: serialturcesc
This is what commonly happens to the newbies in the business industry who do not know how to effectively market their product or service or service. doramasmp4
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!!!! Korean Türk