Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Films of the '90s: 1992

You can post a list of anywhere between 5 and 20 films (or more, but only 20 will be counted) from the year we're covering.
The deciding factor in terms of release dates is the RYM list and the top 10 of each year will go on to the final top 100 round. The deadline is November 21st.

The points scheme is as follows:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 35
4. 30
5. 25
6. 20
7. 18
8. 16
9. 14
10. 12
11. 10
10. 9
20. 1
However, these are the maximum amounts of points. If you want to put certain films on your list but don't want to give them too many points, you can choose to give these less points than in this scheme (but never more) to decrease the impact on the overall results. If you don't specifically state that you want to give (some of) your films fewer points, I will assume the standard scheme.

Here are some lists to remind you of the great (or awful) films released in 1992, from a variety of sources:
IMDb
RYM
Films101
RottenTomatoes

Re: Films of the '90s: 1992

01. C'est Arrivé près de chez Vous (Rémy Belvaux & André Bonzel)
02. Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino)
03. The Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann)
04. Vacas (Julio Medem)
05. Glengarry Glen Ross (James Foley)

06. Baraka (Ron Fricke)
07. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
08. Malcolm X (Spike Lee)
09. The Player (Robert Altman)
10. A Few Good Men (Rob Reiner) 10

11. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (David Lynch) 8
12. Scent of a Woman (Martin Brest) 7
13. Basic Instinct (Paul Verhoeven) 6
14. Aladdin (Ron Clements & John Musker) 3
15. Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola) 1

Two great films and four more that are really worth a watch.

It might be due to ignorance, but I think 1990-1992 were really weak movie years. Do you agree?

I'm inclined to agree. 1993 through 1995 are much, much stronger. 1996 to me is the worst year in entertainment history, with only DJ Shadow, the Coen brothers, Danny Boyle and Blizzard delivering anything of great quality. After 1996 the '90s pick up again.

1. Unforgiven / Clint Eastwood / U.S.
2. Bram Stoker's Dracula / Francis Ford Coppola / U.S.
3. Lessons of Darkness / Werner Herzog / Germany
4. Simple Men / Hal Hartley / U.S.
5. Dust Devil / Richard Stanley / South Africa
6. Dead-Alive / Peter Jackson / New Zealand
7. The Story of Qiu Ju / Zhang Yimou / China
8. Bad Lieutenant / Abel Ferrara / U.S.
9. Rebels of the Neon God / Tsai Ming-liang / Taiwan
10. Bitter Moon / Roman Polanski / France
11. Basic Instinct / Paul Verhoeven / U.S.
12. A Midnight Clear / Keith Gordon / U.S.
13. Glengarry Glen Ross / James Foley / U.S.
14. Candyman / Bernard Rose / U.S.
15. The Player / Robert Altman / U.S.

Yeah, 1992 seems like a weak year. There's a few really good ones then a sharp decline. Any year where Army of Darkness might wind up in my top 5.

But 1994 is freaking amazing. Two Three Colors films, Pulp Fiction, Satantango, Chungking Express. All of those are in my top 100 all time. Then add in The Corridor and one of the greatest animated films of all time, just wow.

I agree 1996 is weak except for Fargo. In that, 'Beavis and Butthead Do America' has a shot at my top five.

And, speaking of 1997, I want to recommend a few very obscure films way in advance. The River (Tsai Ming-Liang), The House (Sarunas Bartas), Happy Together (Wong Kar-Wai), Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami).

1999 is a great year too. (Speaking of which, is Rorouni Kenshin: Betrayal eligable?)

I want to point out a few things.
C'est Arrivé près de chez Vous = Man Bites Dog

For 1993:
Three Colors: Blue != Blue

BillAdama

I agree 1996 is weak except for Fargo. In that, 'Beavis and Butthead Do America' has a shot at my top five.

Breaking the Waves and Kauas pilvet karkaavat [Drifting Clouds] are one of the best movies of the decade. And don't forget movies like Pusher, Trainspotting, Lone Star etc.
BillAdama

For 1993:
Three Colors: Blue != Blue

Yeah, Blue is the one by Derek Jarman and Kieślowski film is Three Colors: Blue.

1. C'est arrivé près de chez vous [Man Bites Dog] - Rémy Belvaux - Belgium
2. Reservoir Dogs - Quentin Tarantino - USA
3. Crying Game - Neil Jordan - UK
4. La vie de bohème [The Bohemian Life] - Aki Kaurismäki - France
5. Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood- USA
6. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - David Lynch - USA
7. Bram Stoker's Dracula - FF Coppola - USA
8. Benny's Video - Michael Haneke - Austria
9. 紅の豚 [Porco Rosso] - Hayao Miyazaki - Japan
10. The Distinguished Gentleman - Jonathan Lynn - USA
11. Scent of a Woman
12. Singles
13. Wayne's World
14. Malcolm X
15. Of Mice and Men
16. A League of Their Own
17. ムーミン谷の彗星 [Comet in Moominland]
18. A Few Good Men
19. Last of the Mohicans
20. White Men Can't Jump

Stephan
1996 to me is the worst year in entertainment history, with only DJ Shadow, the Coen brothers, Danny Boyle and Blizzard delivering anything of great quality.

Yeah, my birth year was bad. As far as music, the only quality album released was "Odelay"

Ack, I really want to see more Kaurismaki, but the only availability he has in the US is the Eclipse box set with Match Factory Girl, Ariel, and Shadows in Paradise and a few of his 00's films.

Breaking the Waves I already bought, but my expectations have dropped for it since I saw Europa. Plus I'm going to see Lone Star, Crash (Cronenberg) and Little Dieter Learns To Fly.

But of the films I've seen, all I really have so far are Fargo, Star Trek First Contact and Secrets & Lies. Maybe 1 point for Jerry Maguire.

I need to invest in a region free DVD player.

Quite a lot of DVD-players nowadays are unlockable, try a google search if it's possible on yours as well.

1. Wayne's World
2. Batman Returns
3. Aladdin
4. White Men Can't Jump
5. Muppet Christmas Carol

1. Léolo – Jean-Claude Lauzon
2. Reservoir Dogs – Quentin Tarantino
3. Glengarry Glen Ross – James Foley
4. Damage – Louis Malle
5. El lado oscuro del corazón (The Dark Side of the Heart) – Eliseo Subiela
6. Unforgiven – Clint Eastwood
7. Husbands and Wives – Woody Allen
8. Simple Men – Hal Hartley
9. The Crying Game – Neil Jordan
10. L.627 – Bertrand Tavernier
11. Un coeur en hiver (Heart in Winter) – Claude Sautet
12. Basic Instinct – Paul Verhoeven
13. Un lugar en el mundo (A Place in the World) – Adolfo Aristarain
14. Aladdin – John Musker / Ron Clements
15. Les nuits fauves (Savage Nights) – Cyrill Collard
16. The Player – Rovert Altman
17. La reina anónima (The Anonymous Queen) – Gonzalo Suárez
18. The Public Eye – Howard Franklin
19. El maestro de esgrima (The Fencing Master) – Pedro Olea
20. La vie de bohème (The Bohemian Life) -Aki Kaurismäki

21. A River Runs Through It – Robert Redford
22. C'est arrivé près de chez vous (Man Bites Dog) – Rémy Belvaux
23. Memoirs of an Invisible Man – John Carpenter
24. Vacas (Cows) – Julio Médem
25. Indochine – Régis Warginer
26. Bad Lieutenant – Abel Ferrara
27. Bram Stoker's Dracula – Francis Ford Coppola
28. Single White Female – Barbet Schroeder
29. Una estación de paso (Whistle Stop) – Gracia Querejeta
30. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle – Curtis Hanson
31. Peter's Friends - Kenneth Branagh
32. Medicine Man – John McTiernan
33. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – David Lynch
34. A Stranger Among Us – Sidney Lumet
35. El sol del membrillo (Quince Tree of the Sun) – Víctor Erice

Out of competition: Die Zweite Heimat - the best thing I ever saw on TV

The rest:
1. Bad Lieutenant
2. The Best Intentions (Den goda viljan)
3. Alien 3
4. Glengarry Glen Ross
5. Unforgiven
6. The Player
7. Howard's End
8. C'est Arrivé près de chez Vous
9. Un Coeur En Hiver
10.Scent of a Woman
11.Strictly Ballroom
12.Dracula
13.Basic Instinct
14.Como Agua Para Chocolate
15.Orlando
16.One False Move
17.The Crying Game
18.Reservoir Dogs

Saw Reservoir Dogs not so long ago and the Crying Game only recently, and find that both have aged pretty badly.

I really like Tarantino but I hated Reservoir Dogs. Violence usually adds something to his films, but I was turned off by it in that one.

Also, I was a teenager in the 90's but I sure haven't watched many movies from the decade. I was too busy listening to music and school I guess and never got around to them. Not much of the acclaimed stuff looks very interesting to me though.

John
Not much of the acclaimed stuff looks very interesting to me though.

Didn't to me either until I started watching it.

You should try a Cricketer account. It's good at giving personalized recommendations.

We're discussing films here, not cricket.

Watched Man Bites Dog yesterday and was thoroughly entertained. Not as much as by Le Salaire de la Peur, which I also watched, but that's besides the point.

Err, Criticker. http://www.criticker.com. Great site for recommendations. You rate a lot of movies and it generates recommendations. For me it's had a very high success rate.

I liked Man Bites Dog too. I like the way, even before they get involved in the murders themselves, the film makes you hate the camera crew more than the killer.

Yeah, I gave Criticker a try the other day. Rated about 500 films real quick and the resulting suggestions are quite interesting. #1 suggestion is the 1962 The Exterminating Angel; might have to watch that soon. #3 is another Bunuel, The Phantom of Liberty, apparently my films indicate a love for Bunuel even though I haven't rated a single Bunuel film. #2 was Eddie Izzard's Glorious by the way, which I have seen and is very funny but not exactly a 97.

1. Unforgiven
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. The Crying Game
4. The Last of the Mohicans
5. The Player
6. Glengarry Glen Ross
7. One False Move
8. Scent of a Woman
9. Malcolm X
10. Aladdin

1) Reservoir Dogs
2) Mr. Saturday Night
3) A Few Good Men
4) My Cousin Vinny
5) Poison Ivy
6) Basic Instinct
7) Wayne’s World
8) A League of Their Own

1. Under Siege
2. Wayne's World
3. Hard Boiled
4. 1991: The Year Punk Broke
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Braindead
7. My Cousin Vinny
8. Death Becomes Her

BillAdama
Err, Criticker. http://www.criticker.com. Great site for recommendations. You rate a lot of movies and it generates recommendations. For me it's had a very high success rate.

How did I not know about this site until now? Amazing!

1. Reservoir Dogs - Quentin Tarantino
2. Bad Lieutenant - Abel Ferrara
3. L.627 - Bertrand Tavernier
4. C'est arrivé près de chez vous [Man Bites Dog] - Rémy Belvaux / André Bonzel / Benoit Poelvoorde
5. The Player - Robert Altman
6. Simple Men - Hal Hartley
7. Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood
8. Un coeur en hiver [Heart in Winter] - Claude Sautet
9. Betty - Claude Chabrol
10. Bob Roberts - Tim Robbins
11. La sentinelle - Arnaud Desplechin
12. Versailles Rive Gauche - Bruno Podalydès
13. Howards End - James Ivory

John
BillAdama
How did I not know about this site until now? Amazing!
The only issue I have with the website is how often I have to press 'Generate PSIs'; I'm very tempted to just pay the $1.50.

I paid the $5 to have it generate daily for a month.

braindead on beefsupreme's list and dead-alive on mine are the same movie, if you didn't know

Criticker is by far the best, but it still suffers from the same problem as other sites like it. It doesn't do a very good job with mainstream movies. But a good way around it I've found, is that if a movie is popular a 65-75 PSI is a good indicator that I might like it just based on movies I've seen.

I find the recommendations are rather good. For instance, my PSI for Enter The Void was 95 and I loved it, whereas it only had a 64 metacritic rating. Of course, there are a few it's totally wrong about, but there are way more hits than misses, and a lot of the hits are films I would otherwise never have seen.

The only problem is, it keeps recommending me stuff with no region 1 availability, and it makes me mad that not every great movie is globally available to everyone.

What are all of your Criticker usernames? Mine is 'Jirin'.

I've added you, nick is 'Neoptolemos'.

BillAdama
I find the recommendations are rather good. For instance, my PSI for Enter The Void was 95 and I loved it, whereas it only had a 64 metacritic rating. Of course, there are a few it's totally wrong about, but there are way more hits than misses, and a lot of the hits are films I would otherwise never have seen.

I'm a big fan of modern comedy as seen in my ballots here, and maybe it's because I've already seen the best, but it's always been hard to get good comedy recommendations from these sites. However, there were a bunch in the 65-70 range that I'm going to watch.

My username is johnfgillson. You guys are both in my top 200 TCI.

Try "Crna macka, beli macor [Black Cat, White Cat]"; the first great lesser known comedy that comes to mind. Strange that I would be in your top 200 TCIs, cause neither of you are anywhere close to my top 1000 TCIs.

I think it's just you have more TCIs generated than us.

Complete randomness would result in a TCI of about 3. My TCI with John is about 2.8, and with Stephan about 2.1 (My 970th best TCI). My #1 is 1.4.

Our tastes aren't that much different, Stephan, except we differ hugely in a couple categories. You like newer 'critic-endorsed mainstream' and classic era comedies better, I like more abstract and more visual films better. But other than that we have a lot of tastes in common.

Ah, that makes sense, I've been generating stuff for a while.

You are actually my 970th TCI now and some guy named popinio is my #1 with 1.2568; the only thing we disagree on is Sin City.

Watched The Asphalt Jungle yesterday and Criticker predicted 88, but the film was almost ruined by the women in it. Not just awful acting, but awful material too. Maybe it's me, but has Huston ever met a woman?

I've been pretty happy with the first two recommendations I've watched. It was really strange though which ones I picked... Big Night and A Life Less Ordinary. I didn't know much about either going in other than the soundtrack for A Life Less Ordinary and while they were completely different styles of movies they both had Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub and Ian Holm in them. Weird!

How do you find out your #1 TCI? All I can find are some random 50 TCIs, plus when I click on a user's name the TCI updates to something much higher.

I'm frazze.

Henrik
How do you find out your #1 TCI? All I can find are some random 50 TCIs, plus when I click on a user's name the TCI updates to something much higher.

I'm frazze.

To get the list go to the 'You' tab, then to 'Best TCIs'.

The TCI list doesn't update in real time, but it updates the moment you load a person's profile page. When I first started I had the same problem, but once all those out of date TCIs are updated the list should stabilize.

As discussed in the 1991 topic, despite being something like 1500 minutes long, Heimat 2 is in fact eligible. If anyone wants to change their vote because of this, feel free to do so.

I might as well post now, since I'm only waiting on Baraka and Rebels of the Neon God, which have a total of 34 points between them.

1. Malcolm X
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. The Story of Qiu Jiu
4. Man Bites Dog
5. Army of Darkness
6. Hard Boiled
7. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
8. Lessons of Darkness
9. The Player
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1 point)

I've just finished watching the second episode of "Die Zweite Heimat" and I'm very tempted to put it in first place. Not only because it'll give me some more time to watch the whole thing before the finale, but also because it's seriously awesome.

I'm wondering whether this is acceptable or not though..

Stephan
I've just finished watching the second episode of "Die Zweite Heimat" and I'm very tempted to put it in first place. Not only because it'll give me some more time to watch the whole thing before the finale, but also because it's seriously awesome.

I'm wondering whether this is acceptable or not though..

Once you get to the episode where Hermann plays the piano for 2 girls, or the episode where the camera doen nothing else but move through a party, or where the San Marco square is under water, you won't ask yourself these questions anymore, but simply put it there.

Bah. A couple of posts got deleted because Bravenet reverted back to an old backup. Here are the results again:

Title (Director) - Points/Votes/#1s
1. Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino) - 427/11/4
2. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood) - 236/8/2
3. C'est Arrivé près de chez Vous [Man Bites Dog] (Rémy Belvaux & André Bonzel) - 199/6/2
4. Glengarry Glen Ross (James Foley) - 125/6/0
5. The Player (Robert Altman) - 123/8/0
6. Malcolm X (Spike Lee) - 117/5/1
7. Wayne's World (Penelope Spheeris) - 116/4/1
8. The Crying Game (Neil Jordan) - 115/6/0
9. Bad Lieutenant (Abel Ferrara) - 96/3/0
10. Die Zweite Heimat (Edgar Reitz) - 90/2/1

Two films I definitely need to see, one I'll decide whether to see later, one I really want to see but don't necessarily want to spend 25 hours on. Pretty good results, but I still wish more people would venture outside the rich countries more.