Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Films of the '90s: 1990

Let's get this started. First, we need to decide how many weeks we want to use to cover each year. We can stick to 2 weeks, or increase it to 3 or even a month. I'd personally be in favor of 3 since I have seen many more films from the '00s, but I will go with the majority. For now, let's say this poll will end at midnight on Saturday October 23rd.

Second, the rules will be exactly the same as the poll BillAdama just ran, for those who didn't participate in that one: you can post a list of anywhere between 5 and 20 films (or more, but only 20 will be counted) from the year we're covering.
The deciding factor in terms of release dates is the RYM list and the top 10 of each year will go on to the final top 100 round.

The points scheme is as follows:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 35
4. 30
5. 25
6. 20
7. 18
8. 16
9. 14
10. 12
11. 10
10. 9
20. 1
However, these are the maximum amounts of points. If you want to put certain films on your list but don't want to give them too many points, you can choose to give these less points than in this scheme (but never more) to decrease the impact on the overall results. If you don't specifically state that you want to give (some of) your films fewer points, I will assume the standard scheme.

Here are some lists to remind you of the great (or awful) films released in 1990, from a variety of sources:
IMDb
RYM
Films101
RottenTomatoes

Re: Films of the '90s: 1990

Can you make a list of 2 films only? In the music polls we have a minimum of 5 albums/songs.

I haven't seen many films from the early 90s that I remember today, so my lists will be very short. I wonder if it would be allowed to give lower scores than the regular 50-40-35-30-25-20-18-... if you want to give a few films recognition but don't feel that they deserve such high scores?

As an example, let's say I want to give points as follows
#1 50 points
#2 40 points
#3 20 points
#4 5 points
#5 2 points
#6 1 point

Well, since I figured people might not have seen many films from the '90s (the general poster here seems to be around my age) I figured 2 as a minimum might mean more voters, but you're probably right that 5 is better.

As far as the point difference, we'd have to come up with some rules, because the whole principle of the point system we have is that higher placed films get way more points than the lower ones, and if we allow people to randomly assign points that would screw things up. How about the top 5 has to follow the regular number of points (i.e. 50, 40, 35, 30, 25) and the rest can be assigned anything under 20 (including 20)? That might make things overly complicated though..

Why not say that 50, 40, 35 etc are the maximum scores for each position, but it is possible to give lower scores for someone who humbly wants to reduce his/her own impact on the overall results?

Ah, that works too. Let me integrate that into the starting post.

1. Trust / Hal Hartley / U.S.
2. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams / Akira Kurosawa / Japan
3. Ju Dou / Zhang Yimou / China
4. King of New York / Abel Ferrara / U.S.
5. Hardware / Richard Stanley / South Africa
6. Miller's Crossing / Joel Coen / U.S.
7. Goodfellas / Martin Scorsese / U.S.
8. Edward Scissorhands / Tim Burton / U.S.
9. The Godfather Part III / Francis Ford Coppola / U.S.
10. Wild at Heart / David Lynch / U.S.
11. Total Recall / Paul Verhoeven / U.S.
12. Close-Up / Abbas Kiarostami / Iran
13. Jacob's Ladder / Adrian Lyne / U.S.
14. To Sleep with Anger / Chester Burnett / U.S.
15. Tremors / Ron Underwood / U.S.

Is anyone else on Cricketer? I can grab recommendations from you before you make your vote!

1. Trust / Hal Hartley
2. Goodfellas / Martin Scorcese
3. The Bonfire of the Vanities / Brian De Palma
4. An Angel at My Table / Jane Campion
5. 阿飛正傳 [Days of Being Wild] / Wong Kar-wai
6. Docteur Petiot / Christian de Chalonge
7. Miller's Crossing / Joel Coen
8. Reversal of Fortune / Barbet Schroeder
9. Jacob's Ladder / Adrian Lyne
10. King of New York / Abel Ferrara
11. Le mari de la coiffeuse [The Hairdresser's Husband] / Patrice Leconte
12. S'en fout la mort [No Fear, No Die] / Claire Denis
13. ¡Átame! [Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!] / Pedro Almodóvar
14. Cyrano de Bergerac / Jean-Paul Rappeneau
15. Alice / Woody Allen
16. La Discrète / Christian Vincent
17. Dances With Wolves / Kevin Costner
18. Edward Scissorhands / Tim Burton
19. Wild at Heart / David Lynch
20. Nouvelle Vague / Jean-Luc Godard

01. Wild at Heart (David Lynch)
02. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese)
03. Miller's Crossing (Joel & Ethan Coen)
04. Jacob's Ladder (Adrian Lyne)
05. Mindwalk (Bernt Capra)
06. The Godfather: Part III (Francis Ford Coppola)
07. Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton)
08. Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner)
09. Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven)
10. The Witches (Nicolas Roeg)

All English-spoken... Well I wasn't so diverse in my film watching habits back then. For me early nineties films are the ones that I have seen longest ago, because that is when I started watching films (as a young kid). I've seen newer films later, obviously, but especially older films (pre-eighties) I've seen way more recently, like the last six years or so.

I guess Mindwalk is the only not-so-well-known movie in there. It's only a recommendation for people interested in physics (probably not the experts), because it's not that good as a work of art. Instead, it's a real informative talk-movie. But I remember being really interested when I was watching it.

I'd say that two weeks is enough by the way. A week more or so doesn't make a real difference to me and only stretches the tournament.

I would be fine with either two weeks or three. Three would make it easier to watch everything I might want to vote for, but two would take two and a half months off the duration and get us to the 80s and 70s faster. Either way I bumped my Netflix plan up to two DVDs at a time.

I just saw Trust. What I appreciate most about the film is the acting. But I want to know how these two people managed to spend their entire lives running into nobody but the worst human beings ever to be born.

Something I'm really interested it is exploring Eastern European cinema a little more deeply. In America it's easy to find great films from Western European countries or from Northern Asian countries. East Europe, the Middle East and South Asia are very hard to find except for a few Romanian films and stuff by Kiarostami. If anybody knows some kind of reliable source to see these films with english subtitles, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm trying to see the Lithuanian film 'Children From "America" Hotel' and it's not even listed on Amazon.

OK, here we go again:
1. Ju Dou
2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Wild at Heart
4. Awakenings
5. An Angel at my table
6. Dances with Wolves
7. Le Mari de la Coiffeuse
8. Atame!
9. Oranges are not the only fruit
10. Interal Affairs
11. GoodFellas
12. Hidden Agenda
13. Jacob's Ladder
14. Dreams
15. Total Recall
16. The Krays
17. Mermaids
18. The Grifters
19. Miller's Crossing
20. Hunt for Red October

1. Trust – Hal Hartley
2. Total Recall – Paul Verhoeven
3. Miller's Crossing – Joel Coen
4. Goodfellas – Martin Scorsese
5. Le mari de la coiffeuse (The Hairdresser's Husband) – Patrice Leconte
6. Edward Scissorhands – Tim Burton
7. Europa, Europa – Agnieszka Holland
8. The Godfather, Part III – Francis Ford Coppola
9. Cyrano de Bergerac – Jean-Paul Rappeneau
10. An Angel at My Table – Jane Campion
11. Mo' Better Blues – Spike Lee
12. Alice – Woody Allen
13. ¡Ay, Carmela! – Carlos Saura
14. Havana – Sydney Pollack
15. La putain du roi (The King’s Whore) – Axel Corti
16. Pretty Woman – Garry Marshall
17. Conte de printemps (A Tale of Springtime) – Éric Rohmer
18. Back to the Future, Part III – Robert Zemeckis
19. Ghost – Jerry Zucker
20. La discrète – Christian Vincent

1. GoodFellas
2. Miller's Crossing
3. Reversal of Fortune
4. Ju Dou
5. The Grifters
6. Trust
7. Edward Scissorhands
8. Europa Europa
9. Dances With Wolves
10. The Godfather Part III

Surprised to see so little support for Days of Being Wild. I guess we don't have a lot of cinematography oriented voters here. I also thought The Match Factory Girl would be doing better.

I've just got a few more films to see for 1990.

BillAdama
Surprised to see so little support for Days of Being Wild. I guess we don't have a lot of cinematography oriented voters here.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that one yet. I really want to though.

I only know like three of these movies

OK, I give points only for 15 movies this time. There are plenty of movies I saw in 1990 and liked a lot (Turtles, Home Alone, etc.). But I was eight (and seven) years old then, so...
Back to the Future III was the first not animated feature film I saw in a big movie theatre and right away I've become a cinephile.

1. Wild at Heart - David Lynch - USA
2. 阿飛正傳 [Days of Being Wild] - Wong Kar Wai - Hong Kong
3. Tulitikkutehtaan tyttö [The Match Factory Girl] - Aki Kaurismäki - Finland
4. Miller's Crossing - Joel Coen - USA
5. Dances With Wolves - Kevin Costner - USA
6. Total Recall - Paul Verhoeven - USA
7. Edward Scissorhands - Tim Burton - USA
8. I Hired a Contract Killer - Aki Kaurismäki - Finland
9. Misery - Rob Reiner - USA
10. Back to the Future III - Robert Zemeckis - USA
11. Goodfellas - Martin Scorses - USA
12. Die Hard 2 - Renny Harlin - USA
13 秦俑 [A Terra-Cotta Warrior] - Ching Siu-tung - Hong Kong
14. Nikita - Luc Besson - France
15. Mermaids - Richard Benjamin - USA

Here my list, with, in first, my all time best movie.
A so beautiful story (haw many tears I shed). And the absolute perfection of the French text, all in verse.(for me, the text of Edmond Rostand his the most beautiful French book of all time). Depardieu his perfect and I love the music too.

1. Cyrano De Bergerac (Jean-Paul Rappeneau)
2. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese)
3. Le mari de la coiffeuse (Patrice Leconte)
4. Atame (Pedro Almodovar)
5. Edward Scissorhands ( Tim Burton)
6. The Godfather Part III (Francis Ford Coppola)
7. Nikita (luc Besson)
8. Miller's Crossing (Joel Coen)
9. La gloire de mon père (yves Robert)
10. Le chateau de ma mère (yves Robert)
11. Wild at Heart (David Lynch)
12. Die Hard 2 (Renny Harlin)
13. Dance with Wolves (Kevin Costner)
14. Tatie Danielle (Etienne Chatilliez)
15. King of New-York (Abel Ferrara)
16. Milou en Mai (Louis Malle)
17. Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
18. Reversal of fortune (Barbet Shroder)
19. Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven)
20. La discrète (Christian Vincent)

The thing about Cyrano de Bergerac is that the beauty of the film lies in the lyrical dialog, and I miss out on all of that because I don't understand French. So if it qualifies, the only fair thing for me to do may be to list it as if I haven't seen it. Trying to watch the film with subtitles, all I see is the sort of cliche plot on the surface.

I think I'm ready to make my list. Anything else I was thinking of seeing has less than 20 points if any, or I have enough reservations to relegate to the 'See if they qualify' list.

1) Days of Being Wild
2) Ju Dou
3) The Match Factory Girl
4) Close Up
5) Goodfellas
6) Miller's Crossing
7) Wild At Heart
8) Total Recall
9) Trust
10) Back To The Future 3
11) Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
12) The Grifters
13) Die Hard 2
14) The Godfather Part III (1 point)

Unless some of you are thinking of ranking Journey Of Hope, in which case I'll try to watch the VHS I ordered before moving on to 1991.

Number five is a film I like but I wouldn’t give it much credit; I think that the top four definitely deserve to be in though.

1) The Godfather Part III
2) Edward Scissorhands
3) Dances with Wolves
4) Misery
5) Back to the Future Part III

Guy: It's possible to assign fewer points to Back To The Future if you want, but I am going to need a specific amount. Check the initial post for the details.

Here's my points allocation:

5) Back to the Future Part III - 5 Points

There are probably several 1990 films that would surpass these films, but anyway...

1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Black Jack
3. Misery
4. Home Alone
5. Pretty Woman

I will give the highest possible scores after all, as I'm pretty sure that only Edward Scissorhands will end up in the top 10 anyway (although I'm a little surprised about the few votes for Misery).

I have seen but is no fan of Goodfellas and Wild at Heart. I also saw Miller's Crossing but the only thing I remember is that it's the only time at the cinema where I snogged a girlfriend to the extent that someone told us to shut up. We were so bored...

Almost forgot to post my own list. There are a couple of films I really wanted to watch and I watched most of those, but most of them were also rather disappointing (Wild At Heart, King of New York). Trust and Ju Dou were pretty good though. Anyway, here we go:

1. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese)
2. The Godfather: Part III (Francis Ford Coppola)
3. Miller's Crossing (Ethan Coen / Joel Coen)
4. Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)
5. Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton)
6. La Femme Nikita (Luc Besson)
7. Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven)
8. Trust (Hal Hartley)
9. The Hunt For Red October (John McTiernan)
10. Ju Dou (Zhang Yimou)

There's little over 1 day remaining until the deadline.

I'm surprised how America-centric most of these lists are, considering 2/3 of the voters aren't from there.

I hope there isn't too much region-bias going on in people's viewing habits. I'd like to think films from countries other than the US or France have a fair chance.

01. Wild At Heart (David Lynch)
02. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Joe Dante)
03. Boiling Point (Takeshi Kitano)
04. GoodFellas (ScoreCC)
05. Troll 2 (Claudio Fragasso)
06. Bullet In The Head (John Woo)
07. Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter)
08. The German Chainsaw Massacre (Christoph Schlingensief)
09. Trust (Hal Hartley)
10. Arachnophobia (Frank Marshall)

biggest letdown: Nightbreed (Clive Barker)

best nostalgic weirdoms:
#1: Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty) - hated that one thoroughly as a kid, but wasn't THAT much into comic campdowns before, hence no wonder i'm still keeping a soft subconscious spot for post-modern allegories like a literally faceless Madonna..
#2: Green Card (Peter Weir)... frog meets yank. and guess who's the tough one is. it still awes me that Hollywood (read Touchstone Pictures) thought lower of its east coast urban residents than of America's most beloved 20th century incarnation of pussy.. i guess it's still hot that frenchies don't take showers that often..

BillAdama
I'm surprised how America-centric most of these lists are, considering 2/3 of the voters aren't from there.

your consecutive "europe is most likely to ignore/slash/condemn us"-anxiety doesn't help it much either. art is still art is still art is still art is still fun and buckets full of whoahhhhatevers... the biggest crime you ever committed was sending thousands of McD's and WhopperKings to us while keeping Five Guys for yourselves..

nj
BillAdama

your consecutive "europe is most likely to ignore/slash/condemn us"-anxiety doesn't help it much either. art is still art is still art is still art is still fun and buckets full of whoahhhhatevers... the biggest crime you ever committed was sending thousands of McD's and WhopperKings to us while keeping Five Guys for yourselves..

I mean, I would have expected people who live in Europe to have equal or greater exposure to European films as they do American films. There were some great American films from 1990, but there were also great films from plenty of other countries, and I feel far fewer people are watching the latter before casting their vote. Native French speakers are also voting for French films, people are voting for Ju Dou (By a director who has had wide exposure in the US with Hero), and that's it.

let's just assume that no matter how many euro movies you've watched during that period, they just did suck big time compared to n-american, iranian and east-asian flicks, alright?...

[warning: exaggerations may not look as huge as they do in AMF posts]

nj
BillAdama

That's not a crime. That's protecting a national treasure.

Favorite Schwarzenegger and Seagal quotes in parentheses...

1 - Troll 2
2 - Total Recall (“Consider that a divorce.”)
3 - Hard to Kill (“You killed my wife. Fuck you and die.”)
4 - Jacob’s Ladder
5 - Quick Change
6 - Miller’s Crossing
7 - Marked for Death (“I hope there weren’t triplets.”)
8 - Kindergarten Cop (“It’s not a tumor.”)
9 - Predator 2
10 - Edward Scissorhands

Movies I would have liked to have seen:
Wild at Heart
Shakma – it’s a slasher film where the killer is a rabid baboon, cool!

Alex D

That's not a crime. That's protecting a national treasure.

there's a secret cypher called yummy hidden in "american exceptionalism" and vee vant zis... nauww!

Time's up. Results would've been up right now, but the internet at my apartment died (I'm not there right now) so I cannot remote desktop it. They will be posted Monday morning.

Title (Director) - Points/Votes/#1s
1. Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese) - 343/11/2
2. Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton) - 285/12/1
3. Miller's Crossing (Joel Coen) - 271/11/0
4. Wild at Heart (David Lynch) - 227/8/3
5. Trust (Hal Hartley) - 216/7/3
6. The Godfather Part III (Francis Ford Coppola) - 173/8/1
7. Ju Dou (Zhang Yimou) - 167/5/1
8. Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner) - 152/8/0
9. Total Recall (Paul Verhoeven) - 150/8/0
10. 阿飛正傳 [Days of Being Wild] (Wong Kar-Wai) - 115/3/1

Goodfellas was never really threatened after it overtook Trust and although Le Mari de la Coiffeuse and Dreams were in the top 10 for a while these final 10 were near the top pretty much the whole time.

I'm relieved Days of Being Wild made it through.

The ones I need to watch out of these are Edward Scissorhands and Dances With Wolves. I'll probably see Edward Scissorhands, but I'm not sure about Dances. Something about a three hour 'issue' film whose entire plot I already know doesn't strike me as enjoyable. (Besides, I already saw the science fiction sequel!)