Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Movies of the 00's poll: 2009

You all know the drill. Here's the RYM link: http://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=film&year=2009&genre_include=1&genres=&include=both&limit=none&countries=

Voting closes Saturday, August 28 at midnight eastern time.

Re: Movies of the 00's poll: 2009

And, because 2009 European movies are 2010 American movies, I can vote early this time.

1. A Serious Man
2. Un Prophete
3. Politist, Adjectiv
4. Inglorious Bastards
5. District 9
6. Coraline
7. The Messenger
8. Broken Embraces
9. In The Loop
10. I Am Love
11. Mother
12. Up
13. El Secreto de Sus Ojos
14. Moon
15. The Secret Of Kells
16. Precious
17. Star Trek
18. Das Weise Band
19. Avatar
20. Fish Tank

Oops, I totally blanked on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I'll slide that in between Moon and Star Trek.

Apparently there's a US adaptation of the novel starring Daniel Craig. I only have two words to that: F**k no. I guess with David Fincher it could be decent, if slow paced.

1. Antichrist / Lars von Trier / Denmark
2. Sweetgrass /Lucien Castaing-Tayloar/ U.S.
3. The White Ribbon / Michael Haneke / Austria
4. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans / Werner Herzog / U.S.
5. Broken Embraces / Pedro Almodovar / Spain
6. Inglourious Basterds / Quentin Tarantino / U.S.
7. Un prophete / Jacques Audiard / France
8. A Serious Man / Joel Coen / U.S.
9. Drag Me to Hell / Sam Raimi / U.S.
10. Fantastic Mr. Fox / Wes Anderson / U.S.

01. Das Weisse Band (Michael Haneke)
02. Lebanon (Samuel Maoz)
03. De Laatste Dagen van Emma Blank (Alex van Warmerdam)
04. White Material (Claire Denis)
05. Yo, Tambien (Antonio Naharro & Alvaro Pastor)
06. District 9 (Neill Blomkamp)
07. Katalin Varga (Peter Strickland)
08. Welcome (Philippe Lioret)
09. A Serious Man (Joel & Ethan Coen)
10. Looking for Eric (Ken Loach)

11. Kasi az Gorbehaye Irani Khabar Nadareh / No One Knows About Persian Cats (Bahman Ghobadi)
12. Last Train Home (Lixin Fan)
13. The Road (John Hillcoat)
14. Antichrist (Lars von Trier)
15. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (Terry Gilliam)
16. Away We Go (Sam Mendes)
17. Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson)
18. Up in the Air (Jason Reitman)
19. Where the Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze)
20. Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)

Seen only a little more than 30 films that were released in 2009, The first twelve are all really quite good though. The other nine are at least O.K. and just better than the other films I saw. I don't expect to see the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 and 12 a lot in other people's list, but they are really worth watching, especially Lebanon. I've seen Avatar, but I didn't like it.

My top 12 looks like a snob-list.

My 2008 list would have been all drama. 2009 seemed a much more positive year (or at least a year where only action and comedy worked with me). Not without a big melancholy, like in Adventureland or Mary & Max.

1)Adventureland
2)District 9
3)Up
4)Mary & Max
5)A Serious Man
6)(500) Days of Summer
7)Fantastic Mr Fox
8)The Hangover
9)Zombieland
10)Sherlock Holmes
11)Whip It

Worst film I've seen in 2009 are clearly Lovely Bones and the Limits of Control (during which I would have fallen asleep if my friend had stopped punching me...). Though Dragon Ball was an insult to anyone who had grown up with the manga or the anime.

And well, obviously I really recommend Adventureland. Everything is great in this bittersweet movie, and at least a AMers can not totally dislike a movie with Bastards of Young, Unsatisfied, Satellite of Love, Pale Blue Eyes (and Shannon's Let the Music Play which is kinda cool too !)

Gillingham
but they are really worth watching, especially Lebanon.

Urgh. That was supposed to come out in the theater near me August 20th. The stupid distribution company decided to push it back two weeks. So I can't see it in time to vote. If it qualifies I can see it in time to vote for it in the finals, though.

Any (semi-)obscure recommendations for this year? I've seen pretty much all the top 10s from people so far except for Antichrist and Lebanon, which I will both watch, and probably all of the popular films.

Stephan
Any (semi-)obscure recommendations for this year? I've seen pretty much all the top 10s from people so far except for Antichrist and Lebanon, which I will both watch, and probably all of the popular films.

Since you like Asian thrillers, there's a good chance you'd like Mother. Moon is also a good low-production hard-scifi film.

I thought it'd be a tough sell to qualify A Serious Man, but it's already got 105 points to it's name. The Coens are pretty much the only ones with a real chance to qualify four films, if you don't count Sin City toward Tarantino.

Stephan

So you've seen 'De Laatste Dagen van Emma Blank', 'White Material', 'Katalin Varga', 'Welcome' and 'Yo, Tambien' already? If so, I hope you liked them. If not, consider them recommendations.

Sorry, I should have said "I've seen pretty much all the top 10s I'm interested in from people so far.."; I don't have unlimited time and those don't seem like they would make my list.

I will watch Lebanon on your recommendation though.

I don't have a lot of films I adore this year, but the 4 first are excellent.
1. Un prophète - Jacques Audiard
2. Up - Pete Docter
3. Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino
4. District 9 - Neill Blomkamp
5. Moon - Duncan Jones
6. Whatever Works - Woody Allen
7. Les Beaux gosses - Riad Sattouf
8. Welcome - Philip Lioret
9. The Hangover - Todd philips
10. The Informant - Steven Soderbergh

My list for 2009:
1. El Secreto de sus Ojos
2. Bright Star
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Star Trek
5. District 9
6. Moon
7. (500) Days of Summer
8. Coraline
9. In the Loop
10. A Serious Man
11. Monthy Python Almost the Truth
12. The Damned United
13. Up in the Air
14. Up
15. Watchmen
16. The Informant!
17. 5 Minutes of heaven
18. Avatar
19. Tyson
20. The Cove

Bubbling Under:

Where the wild things are
Inglourious Basterds

I found this to be the hardest list to compile: the order of the movies will undoubtedly change over time, and many more will be added in this list over the years, especially "foreign" movies that only come into view after a few years.

Just watched City of Life and Death, which is incredibly impressive. Maybe not the best film out there, and you need to know a little bit about the Nanking Massacre or it'll be a tad confusing at times, but definitely a must-see.

1. (500) Days of Summer
2. A Serious Man
3. Moon
4. The Messenger
5. The White Ribbon
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. District 9
8. Star Trek
9. The Informant!
10. Avatar

Ok, who's voting for (500) Days of Summer because of it's soundtrack?

...or the Belle and Sebastian and Smiths and Pixies references? I squealed with delight during those moments. How fickle...

Listyguy
Ok, who's voting for (500) Days of Summer because of it's soundtrack?

Judas Priest, Cure, Velvet Underground, Crowded House, Replacements (twice), Hüsker Dü, Rolling Stones, Lou Reed, INXS, David Bowie, Big Star, New York Dolls, The Jesus and Mary Chain : if you have to vote for one movie because its soundtrack, it's gotta be Adventureland !

I'm going to vote for (500) Days of Summer because of the last two words.

Soundtrack didn't hurt though.

500 Days of Summer was like my #21. It just missed my list.

I found it to be a very mixed bag. There were some scenes I loved, I loved the Hallmark stuff and the commentary on the lies taught by romantic comedies. What soured me on it a little was the over the top behavior of the main character. There were times like when he was singing Train In Vain by karaoke to a blind date where it would have been nice if he was just a little bit more self-aware. And, I found the 'street wise twelve year old' to be a bit hackneyed. Overall a good movie. The soundtrack is great but it doesn't influence my opinion of the film.

1) Inglorious Basterds
2) (500) Days of Summer
3) Up
4) An Education
5) The Damned United
6) The Hangover
7) The Hurt Locker (if it counts)
8)(7) Sherlock Holmes
9)(8) Zombieland
10)(9) The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

1. Mary & Max - Adam Elliot - Australia
2. A Serious Man - Coen Bros - USA
3. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - Werner Herzog - USA
4. The White Ribbon - Michael Haneke - Germany
5. A Prophet - Jacques Audiard - France
6. Heartbeats - Saara Cantell - Finland
7. The Sound of Insects: Record of a Mummy - Peter Liechti - Switzerland
8. The Magnetic Man - Arto Halonen - Finland
9. District 9 - Neill Blomkamp - South Africa/ USA
10. Up - Pete Docter - USA
11. Sin Nombre - Cary Joji Fukunaga - Mexico
12. (500) Days of Summer - Marc Webb - USA
13. All Tomorrow's Parties - Jonathan Caouette + co - UK
14. The Road - John Hillcoat - USA
15. The Limits of Control - Jim Jarmusch - USA
16. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Anderson - USA
17. Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino - USA
18. Summer Wars - Mamoru Hosoda - Japan
19. Letters to Father Jaakob - Klaus Härö - Finland
20. In the Loop - Armando Iannucci - UK

I will watch Lebanon tonight. The screening is bit too late that I would have time to include it to my list before dead line. (Espoo Cine film festival is now going on and that's why I vote so late this time. Not a single movie from the festival made to my list (though most of the movies are from 2010).

Guy

Hurt Locker is already in the final.

Petri

I will watch Lebanon tonight. The screening is bit too late that I would have time to include it to my list before dead line. (Espoo Cine film festival is now going on and that's why I vote so late this time. Not a single movie from the festival made to my list (though most of the movies are from 2010).

Lebanon comes out near me on Friday, so five days too late to make my list. I hope a good film doesn't miss out on the final because people couldn't see it in time.

Yes, Hurt Locker qualified in 2008.

Petri
Guy

Hurt Locker is already in the final.

That's great! It definitely deserves it. I was just wondering whether it counts as a 2008 or 2009 film, because I naturally think of it as a 2009 film. But since it's already qualified, it doesn't really matter with regard to my vote.

Moon just bumped Mother out of the top 10, and I didn't really enjoy Lebanon that much so I'm afraid I can't help it out.

1. Un Prophète (Jacques Audiard)
2. El Secreto de Sus Ojos (Juan José Campanella)
3. Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
4. Up In The Air (Jason Reitman)
5. The City Of Life And Death (Chuan Lu)
6. Up (Pete Docter)
7. The Hangover (Todd Philips)
8. (500) Days Of Summer (Marc Webb)
9. Avatar (James Cameron)
10. Moon (Duncan Jones)

Lebanon would have been in my top 20 but not in the top 10. So it doesn't matter I saw it so late.

And the results.

1. A Serious Man (197/7/1)
2. Inglorious Bastards (195/8/1)
3. Un Prophete (A Prophet) (183/5/2)
4. District 9 (172/7/0)
5. Up (158/7/0)
6. (500) Days Of Summer (153/6/1)
7. Das Weise Band (The White Ribbon) (142/5/1)
8. Moon (99/5/0)
9. El Secreto De Sus Ojos (98/3/1)
10. Mary & Max (80/2/1)

Just missed:
Fantastic Mr Fox (74/5/0)
The Hangover (68/4/0)
The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans (65/2/0)

The Coens become the only directors to qualify four films. Tarantino qualifies three + partial credit for Sin City.

I thought I'd get out without having to do any watching this year, but I haven't seen Mary and Max.

I'm surprised I was the only one to vote for Police, Adjective.

I'll put the final vote thread up along with a link to an excel fine in a day or two.

What's the formula we've used for the points in the decade album polls?

BillAdama
What's the formula we've used for the points in the decade album polls?

2100 / (position + 20)
Non-ranked movies get the mid-rank score.

Example: Let's say I rank 86 movies. Then the mid-position is 43.5.

#1: 2100 / 21 = 100 points
#86: 2100 / 106 = 19.8 points
Unranked movies: 2100 / 63.5 = 33.1 points

Thanks.

I might end up seeing only 98 of the films. And I'm starting to think I'm less disinclined to see Superbad than I am Benjamin Button. A nearly three hour film by a director who can even make a story about a serial killer tedious, which Netflix predicts I will rate 2.5.

I just got done watching Wall-E. Good film, very clever. But I have one question. When they were saving the human race from extinction, they only thought to bring the white people?

BillAdama
Thanks.
A nearly three hour film by a director who can even make a story about a serial killer tedious, which Netflix predicts I will rate 2.5.

Zodiac is one of the most intensive serial killer movies ever. And Se7en by the same director is tedious neither. I still can understand that you don't want to watch Benjamin Button.

I have to watch 9 films, chronologically they are: Dancer In The Dark, Le Gout Des Autres, Traffic (I've seen part of it but I can't recall much of it), Les Invasions Barbares, Gegen die Wand, La Mala Educacion, L'enfant, Grizzly Man and Mary & Max. I'm gonna be busy!