Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Movies of the 00's poll: 2007

List between 5 and 20 of your favorite movies from 2007. Release year is determined by the RYM date, unless that date doesn't coincide with either the first national release or the first festival release. The ten movies with the most points advance to the final round. You have two weeks to vote, and the vote closes midnight eastern time on Saturday, July 31st.

Here's a link to the RYM list of movies for 2007: http://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=film&year=2007&genre_include=1&genres=&include=both&limit=none&countries=

It should be noted that Rescue Dawn was determined a 2007 film, even though RYM lists it as 2006.

Re: Movies of the 00's poll: 2007

it might not get many votes, in which case it'll be a moot point, but do you think we ought to treat grindhouse (death proof / planet terror) as one movie or two?

My instinct says two different movies, but 'Machete' is too awesome, and one could argue they work better together than individually. And they were specifically made to be together. What does everyone else think?

I treat them like two different movies because they were showed separately in Europe. Death Proof was way longer than in Grindhouse and Machete was part of Planet Terror.
In a way there are three different movies and I haven't seen Grindhouse (although I have seen every scene from that).

Petri
I treat them like two different movies because they were showed separately in Europe.

In a way there are three different movies and I haven't seen Grindhouse.

I could have said that...

BillAdama
My instinct says two different movies, but 'Machete' is too awesome, and one could argue they work better together than individually. And they were specifically made to be together. What does everyone else think?

If you...

...are thinking...

...about separating GRINDHOUSE into two separate movies and ignoring the awesome fake trailers that, in a lot of ways, are the highlight of the entire enterprise (well, except for Rob Zombie's)...

DON'T!!!

You guys are going to make me hold a vote, aren't you?

Unless you want it to be possible to give points to both Grindhouse *and* each individual film, and if either individual film gets higher than Grindhouse, it's disqualified, and if Grindhouse gets higher than both individual films, the individual ones are?

Other than that, the only option is to vote for it.

Right now the only film that looks like I need to watch before making my list is Once. I'd like to see other peoples' lists for suggestions.

I haven't seen Le scaphandre et le papillon [The Diving Bell and the Butterfly]. So I watch it before I vote (I got the dvd yesterday). You can see the list I made last year hear. Every movie in the top 20 is excellent.

01. No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
02. I'm Not There (Todd Haynes)
03. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
04. Into the Wild (Sean Penn)
05. Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (Julian Schnabel)
06. Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg)
07. Atonement (Joe Wright)
08. Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog)
09. 4 Luni, 3 Septamani si 2 Zile (Cristian Mungiu)
10. Le Graine et le Mulet (Abdel Kechiche)

11. Rescue Dawn (Werner Herzog)
12. Charlie Wilson's War (Mike Nichols)
13. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
14. Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi)
15. Sunshine (Danny Boyle)
16. Boy A (John Crowley)
17. Juno (Jason Reitman)
18. Control (Anton Corbijn)
19. The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson)
20. Zodiac (David Fincher)

Many American and British films, but they were really good in this year. Luckily, France saves the day for foreign films, with three films enlisted and one at the number five spot. But not any Asian film, unfortunately. 2007 seems to be one of the best years of the noughties. The first five are incredibly good. What is also interesting, is that there are two films in this list for music lovers; I'm Not There and Control, about Bob Dylan and Joy Division (Ian Curtis actually) respectively.

1. Zodiac
2. No Country for Old Men
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Michael Clayton
5. Juno
6. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
7. Ratatouille
8. Once
9. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
10. The Savages

Ok, here's my ruling: You can vote for Grindhouse *and* it's component movies. But, both Grindhouse and it's component films can not qualify. If somehow both Grindhouse and Planet Terror wind up in the top ten, only the higher one qualifies.

Speaking of Grindhouse, Robert Rodriguez actually made Machete! I can't wait.

The biggest ones that I haven't seen seem to be Jesse James, Into the Wild, and Zodiac. These are three movies I feel have the inside track already, and are likely to qualify without my vote. I'll watch them if they do.

Otherwise, I'll look at foreign stuff that has a chance to qualify once a few more people vote.

BillAdama
The biggest ones that I haven't seen seem to be Jesse James, Into the Wild, and Zodiac. These are three movies I feel have the inside track already, and are likely to qualify without my vote. I'll watch them if they do.

Bill, I implore you to see ZODIAC (and, hopefully, vote for it). I honestly don't know if enough people have seen it for it to sail through to the top 10.

I proselytize for this film like I do for no other, because I think it's a masterpiece - the finest procedural I've ever seen, and a film that has as much detail and texture as any documentary ever made without ever FEELING like anything other than a masterfully constructed fiction film - and I -know- that a lot of people haven't seen it. I don't need to encourage people to see ETERNAL SUNSHINE or MAGNOLIA or even GHOST WORLD - if you're at all interested in movies, you've probably seen them. But I find that people need to be actively prodded to seek this one out. So I'm prodding you.

1. Persepolis
2. Ratatouille
3. Superbad
4. I'm Not There
5. No Country For Old Men
6. 3:10 To Yuma
7. King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters
8. Juno
9. Lars and the Real Girl
10. Gone Baby Gone
11. Darjeeling Limited
12. There Will Be Blood
13. Blades of Glory
14. Simpsons Movie
15. Oceans Thirteen
16. Michael Clayton
17. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
18. Zodiac
19. Planet Terror
20. Shrek the 3rd

I will be voting for Zodiac, it is at #3 for the year at the moment. I still have to watch Once and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and maybe some other recommendations. Anything foreign that was really exceptional in 2007?

Stephan
I will be voting for Zodiac, it is at #3 for the year at the moment. I still have to watch Once and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and maybe some other recommendations. Anything foreign that was really exceptional in 2007?

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days

I'm surprised on this site nobody has listed Walk Hard yet. I feel that movie is underrated because so few of the people who like that kind of humor get the references.

1. There Will Be Blood - Paul-Thomas Anderson - USA
2. Heima - Dean DeBlois - Iceland
3. Du levande [You, the Living] - Roy Anderson - Sweden
4. Stellet Licht [Silent Light] - Carlos Reygadas - Mexico
5. No Country for Old Men - Joel & Ethan Coen - USA
6. 4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile [4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days] - Cristian Mungiu - Romania
7. Paranoid Park - Gus Van Sant - USA
8. Zodiac - David Fincher -USA
9. 苹果 [Lost in Beijing] - Li Yu - China
10. El orfanato [The Orphanage] - Juan Antonio Bayona - Spain
11. 色,戒 [Lust, Caution] - Ang Lee - Taiwan
12. Control - Anton Corbijn - UK
13. My Winnipeg - Guy Maddin - Canada
14. Miehen työ [A Man's Work] - Aleksi Salmenperä - Finland
15. Le scaphandre et le papillon [The Diving Bell and the Butterfly] - Julian Schnabel - France
16. Death Proof - Quentin Tarantino - USA
17. Hallam Foe - David Mackenzie - UK
18. Juno - Jason Reitman - USA
19. Atonement - Joe Wright - UK
20. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi / Vincent Paronnaud - France

Maybe the best year of the decade.

I've seen 4 Months but I wasn't that impressed, I think it's #11 or #12 atm (but I only make/submit top 10 lists). I actually do have Walk Hard and a friend of mine has been pushing me to see it.. maybe I finally should.

1. Control
2. Once
3. Persepolis
4. 4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile [4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days]
5. Juno
6. Auf der anderen Seite [The Edge of Heaven]
7. Sicko
8. The Simpsons Movie
9. Die Fälscher [The Counterfeiters]
10. Le scaphandre et le papillon [The Diving Bell and the Butterfly]
11. The Visitor

Films I also liked but not enough to give them points as there are so many films I haven't seen:
Hot Fuzz
In the Valley of Elah
Ratatouille
Zodiac
ביקור התיזמורת [The Band's Visit]
色,戒 [Lust, Caution]

Films I want to see:
Taxi to the Dark Side
No End in Sight
Atonement
Klass [The Class]
XXY
I'm Not There
Boy A
Gone Baby Gone
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
Miehen työ [A Man's Work]
Eastern Promises
秒速5センチメートル [5 Centimeters per Second]
Heima
Into the Wild
तारे ज़मीन पर [Taare Zameen Par]
The Kite Runner
Encounters at the End of the World
Darling
No Country for Old Men
Lars and the Real Girl
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood

Yeah...quite a few.

It looks like most of the bubble movies are ones I've already seen or am not that interested in based on the genre/premise.

So instead of trying to watch 4-5 movies like I usually do, I'll start Best of Youth.

1. No Country For Old Men
2. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
3. The Bourne Ultimatum
4. There Will Be Blood
5. Hot Fuzz
6. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
7. Grindhouse
8. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
9. Persepolis
10. Atonement
11. The Lookout
12. Once
13. Eastern Promises
14. I'm Not There
15. Planet Terror
16. Juno
17. The Simpsons Movie
18. Death Proof

1. There will be blood
2. Le scaphandre et le papillon
3. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
4. The Banishment
5. No country for old men
6. Zodiac
7. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
8. La tourneuse des pages
9. Into The Wild
10. Persepolis
11. Ratatouille
12. Eastern Promises
13. Michael Clayton
14. La Zona
15. Sunshine
16. The Savages
17. Before the devil knows you're dead
18. Atonement
19. Bourne Ultimatum
20. Gone baby gone

21. American Gangster
22. We Own the night
23. Flight of the red baloon
24. 28 weeks later
25. 3:10 to yuma

Didn't like: I'm not there, oceans 13, my winnipeg, grindhouse

RYM says "La Zona" is 2007, although I think I saw it here (Belgium) in 2008.

The worst year since 2000 for me, I have only 5 films :

01. No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
02. Le Scaphandre et le Papillon (Julian Schnabel)
03. Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi)
04. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
05. Le Graine et le Mulet (Abdel Kechiche)

antonius

RYM says "La Zona" is 2007, although I think I saw it here (Belgium) in 2008.

It came out in Spain in 2007.

imdb.com is very good for international release dates.

The only clear cut placing I had this year was my #1 movie, the rest I kind of made up.

1.Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

- Best parody/satire in the last 20 years. Recommended for people who thought Ray/Walk the Line sucked. It gets funnier after every viewing.

2.No Country For Old Men
3.Superbad
4.There Will Be Blood
5.Grindhouse

- Prefer Planet Terror, but Death Proof got great after the first half.

6.Eastern Promises
7.Hot Fuzz
8.[REC]

- Spanish zombie movie shot like The Blair Witch Project. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I wanted to add a foreign film to my list to come off as more artsy.

9.The King of Kong
10.The Mist

- Another horror movie, I thought it was going to be hilariously bad because that wuss from The Shawshank Redemption/The Green Mile was directing it, but he pulled it off. It got more dark and violent than I thought it could. There were parts when I couldn't help but laugh hysterically just because there was nothing else I could do. Very tense...

..and the ending is soooo wham-bam-thank-you-mam.. i love twists like this

yup, best ending ever hahaha, but I have some friends that disagree with me

1. Silent Light / Carlos Reygadas / Mexico
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford / Andrew Dominik / U.S.
3. Rescue Dawn / Werner Herzog / U.S.
4. No Country for Old Men / Joel Coen / U.S.
5. The Man from London / Bela Tarr / Hungary
6. The Darjeeling Limited / Wes Anderson / U.S.
7. Encounters at the End of the World / Werner Herzog / U.S.
8. Chop Shop / Ramin Bahrani / U.S.
9. Ratatouille / Brad Bird / U.S.
10. Eastern Promises / David Cronenberg / Canada

1) You, the Living
2) Knocked Up
3) Superbad
4) Hot Fuzz
5) The Savages
6) Ocean’s Thirteen
7) Year of the Dog
8) Blades of Glory
9) Sleuth
10) The Darjeeling Limited

I highly recommend anyone planning to vote in the final watch Best of Youth (Which qualified in 2003). It's six hours long but well worth it. It doesn't start to wear out it's welcome until a little bit into the fifth hour.

If things keep going like they are this week, I'll probably only see 99 of the 100.

What do you refuse to watch?

Superbad.

I don't like 'Dumb horny guy' humor, I don't like grossout humor, and I don't like shock value as a substitute for humor.

I got my unlimited theater subscription on mid-2006 so 2007 is the first year I have seen enough movies to feel comfortable to vote.
Quite a big amount of movie I did not like much on imdb top 200, but here are 11 I really enjoyed.

1) Eastern Promises
2) Juno
3) Gone Baby Gone
4) 28 Weeks Later
5) Shoot'em Up
6)Hot Fuzz
7) No Country for Old Men
8) Stardust
9) Live Free or Die Hard
10) Teeth
11) Ratatouille (might be, with Cars, the Pixar I like the least... but still a very good movie)

Almost made the list :
Across the Universe
Death at a Funeral
Smiley Face

best soundtrack of the year : Paranoid Park ! duh ! (which was called by a friend of mine "the most boring good movie he ever saw" or "the best boring movie he ever saw", either way...

Worst movie of the year : tie between Ghost Rider and At World's End (even in the year when Saw IV, AVP2 and Hannibal Rising came out... I did not see Norbit and I Know who Killed Me)
Anyway, even with the high amount of films I did not like in 2007, none comes even close to 2006 worst : "l'ile aux trésors" (given that My Super Ex-Girlfriend was released that year too, it's a very dubious award to be 2006's worst)
"L'ile aux trésors" was a French attempt to surf on Pirates of the Carribean success, and the only words that come to my mind would be Epic Fail (the only polite words in fact). The actors are all bad but the main actor might be the worst you have ever seen, the story is lame, incoherent, the puns are not funny, the special effects are bad, costumes are cheap...
Those are the kind of movie that would make me want to kill the person who sold me the tickets if I had not an unlimited subscription.

BillAdama
Superbad.

I don't like 'Dumb horny guy' humor, I don't like grossout humor, and I don't like shock value as a substitute for humor.

I don't think that there's much grossout or shock value humour in Superbad. Sure, it has plenty of horny guy humour, but they're certain not your typical bunch of horny guys.

1. 300 – Zack Snyder
2. Zodiac – David Fincher
3. Planet Terror – Robert Rodríguez
4. L'âge des ténèbres (Days of Darkness) – Denys Arcand
5. The Kite Runner – Marc Foster
6. Eastern Promises – David Cronenberg
7. Death at a Funeral – Frank Oz
8. Atonement – Joe Wright
9. 色,戒 (Lust, Caution) – Ang Lee
10. No Country for Old Men – Joel & Ethan Coen
11. Death Defying Acts – Gilliam Armstrong
12. Tres minutos (Three Minutes) – Diego Lubinsky
13. We Own the Night – James Gray
14. The Bourne Ultimatum – Paul Greengrass
15. The Good Night – Jake Paltrow
16. Cassandra's Dream – Woody Allen
17. Charlie Wilson's War – Mike Nichols
18. Spider-Man 3 – Sam Raimi
19. Elizabeth: The Golden Age – Shekhar Kapur
20. Next – Lee Tamahori

21. Feast of Love – Robert Benton
22. La torre de Suso – Tom Fernández
23. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – David Yates
24. Never Forget – Leo Scherman
25. Becoming Jane – Julian Jarrold

BillAdama

If things keep going like they are this week, I'll probably only see 99 of the 100.

When 100 films are qualified, what happens then actually? And waht about the films that one didn't watch?

Gillingham
BillAdama

When 100 films are qualified, what happens then actually? And waht about the films that one didn't watch?

I guess the rules are same as in the decade music polls. You sort all the movies in order (#1 gets 100 points and #100 about approximately 17(if I remember correctly)). Movies you haven't seen (or don't want to rank) get same points than your median movie. So if you rank 79 movies, 21 movies you haven't seen get the same score than your #40. This is very fair. The most seen movies don't dominate the final.

After Greg's and Guy's lists I thought that You the Living and Silent Light may qualify for final. But now it doesn't look good at all. Again Stephan it might be up to you. So if you have somehow a chance to watch them before dead line please do it. No pressure At least Silent Light would be in many lists if people would have seen it. Highly recommend it to everyone.

Nassim

Paranoid Park ! duh ! (which was called by a friend of mine "the most boring good movie he ever saw" or "the best boring movie he ever saw", either way...

I didn't find Paranoid Park boring at all (but I understand if someone does). It was almost a masterpiece (the second best Van Sant movie (after Drugstore Cowboy)). The lazy atmosphere of the movie (the very long skateboarding shots with perfect score). The story was also very interesting. Shocking but very beautiful movie.

I saw Silent Light last year but it didn't make my top 10. It did make the top 20, but I'm going to stick to just posting top 10's like always. I am going to watch "Diving Bell.." tonight and hopefully "You, The Living" tomorrow.

Miguel's list makes Harold very happy.

Yeah, it works the same way as the music competitions. (And I need somebody to tell me the algorithm they use).

I actually bought You The Living on impulse after I made my list, but I'm not sure it'd be ethical to now vote for it because I know exactly how many points it would need to go above the movies I don't want to qualify.

After Bourne Identity qualified I'm surprised Supremacy and Ultimatum didn't/aren't doing better. I consider Identity to be easily the weakest of the three films.

@Beans: I'm under the impression that Superbad is the sort of movie where every other joke is about human anatomy. Like, I'm told there's a running joke where one of the characters was obsessed with drawing penises. Then again, I liked Walk Hard by the same creative team. Is there more clever/parody humor or is the humor more focused on crotches?

BillAdama

@Beans: I'm under the impression that Superbad is the sort of movie where every other joke is about human anatomy. Like, I'm told there's a running joke where one of the characters was obsessed with drawing penises. Then again, I liked Walk Hard by the same creative team. Is there more clever/parody humor or is the humor more focused on crotches?

I wouldn't call it a RUNNING joke - it's a focal point of a single (very funny) sequence. (Although we do get to see all of the drawings during the closing credits - again, very funny if you don't mind the crudity.)

Yes, SUPERBAD is full of raunch - there's one startling sight gag involving the blood associated with a woman's Monthly Visitor that I don't think has ever been done before in a movie - but there's a LOT more to it than that. It's very smartly written and mostly focused on the friendship between Jonah Hill and Michael Cera's characters, interspersed with the unlikely adventures of Christopher Mintz-Plasse's unforgettable nerd "McLovin". The script by Evan Goldberg and co-star Seth Rogen is painfully, hilariously accurate in its portrayal of the universal trials of adolescence. One favorite moment: Hill's exchange with a bully who's just insulted him:

"Ha ha, Greg. Very funny. Why don't you go piss your pants again?"
"That was like, eight years ago!"
"People don't forget."

To me, it's easily the best of the Apatow-produced comedies, and I'm sorry I forgot to put it on my top 10. It probably won't need my vote to make it into the finals, though.

Had to complete StarCraft II today, so I will watch the last film tomorrow. Hopefully.

You, The Living did not make it, The Diving Bell did, easily. Pretty good year I think, lots of solid 8/10s, more than any other year since 2001, although 2008 is a strong contender.

1. No Country For Old Men (Joel Coen / Ethan Coen)
2. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
3. Zodiac (David Fincher)
4. Le Scaphandre Et Le Papillon [The Diving Bell And The Butterfly] (Julian Schnabel)
5. I'm Not There (Todd Haynes)
6. Atonement (Joe Wright)
7. Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg)
8. American Gangster (Ridley Scott)
9. Gone Baby Gone (Ben Affleck)
10. Into The Wild (Sean Penn)

I just did an inventory of stuff I need to watch for 2008 and realized two things.

1) There are a *lot* of films I need to see for 2008.
2) All of them, except for the ones everyone else has already seen and thus don't need my help (Wall-E, Benjamin Button), stream instantly on Netflix.

So now I've got nine movies to watch in 2 weeks and don't have to wait for Netflix. I guess this is when they started really paying attention to domestic releases of foreign films.

Any early recommendations? So far the only foreign film on my to-watch list is "L'heure D'été [Summer Hours]".

I can highly recommend "Chugyeogja [The Chaser]", my current #2 for 2008, and "Låt Den Rätte Komma In [Let The Right One In]"—my #7. Also, don't forget to watch "Synecdoche, New York".

Well, I just watched Man On Wire, so my remaining Netflix instant queue is:

Let The Right One In
Summer Hours
The Beaches of Agnes
Goodbye Solo
Hunger
Revanche
The Class
Gomorrah

I'll look into The Chaser and Synecdoche, New York, especially if they appear on a few of the early ballots and look like they have a chance.

My biggest recommendations would probably be Wendy and Lucy and Waltz With Bashir. Also if you like the idea of a Korean western, 'The Good, The Bad, and The Weird'.

Edit: Actually, Synecdoche New York says it's only available instantly until Wednesday, so I need to move quickly on that one if I decide to watch it.

Stephan
Any early recommendations? So far the only foreign film on my to-watch list is "L'heure D'été [Summer Hours]".

I can highly recommend "Chugyeogja [The Chaser]", my current #2 for 2008, and "Låt Den Rätte Komma In [Let The Right One In]"—my #7. Also, don't forget to watch "Synecdoche, New York".

I really need to see The Chaser !
And I also recommend Let the Right One In, will be in my top 5 for sure.

And the results.

1. No Country For Old Men (415/12/4)
2. There Will Be Blood (309/9/2)
3. La Scaphandre et le Papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) (193/8/0)
4. Zodiac (165/7/1)
5. Eastern Promises (157/8/1)
6. Persepolis (154/7/1)
7. 4 Luni, 3 Septamani si 2 Zile (4 Days, 3 Months and 2 Weeks) (139/5/0)
8. Juno (118/7/0)
9. Superbad (105/3/0)
10. I'm Not There (102/4/0)

Just missed:
Hot Fuzz (98/4/0)
Ratatouille (92/5/0)
Du Levande (You The Living) (85/2/1)

The Coens qualify their third, Anderson and Cronenberg qualify their second.

Harold Wexler
BillAdama

I wouldn't call it a RUNNING joke - it's a focal point of a single (very funny) sequence. (Although we do get to see all of the drawings during the closing credits - again, very funny if you don't mind the crudity.)

Yes, SUPERBAD is full of raunch - there's one startling sight gag involving the blood associated with a woman's Monthly Visitor that I don't think has ever been done before in a movie - but there's a LOT more to it than that. It's very smartly written and mostly focused on the friendship between Jonah Hill and Michael Cera's characters, interspersed with the unlikely adventures of Christopher Mintz-Plasse's unforgettable nerd "McLovin". The script by Evan Goldberg and co-star Seth Rogen is painfully, hilariously accurate in its portrayal of the universal trials of adolescence. One favorite moment: Hill's exchange with a bully who's just insulted him:

"Ha ha, Greg. Very funny. Why don't you go **** your pants again?"
"That was like, eight years ago!"
"People don't forget."

To me, it's easily the best of the Apatow-produced comedies, and I'm sorry I forgot to put it on my top 10. It probably won't need my vote to make it into the finals, though.

Sorry, I'm actually on holidays so I never got to reply, but Harold has done a far better job then I ever could.

You promise me it's not arbitrarily and pointlessly disgusting like Borat?