Go to the NEW FORUM
Sorry I make more movies posts than anyone else. That poll we did last summer got me really into classic and art films, so you caught me at the peak of my obsession.
Anyway, now's as good a time as any to start this since Moderate is over. Here's the rules we discussed before.
The poll will run the same way as the music decades polls, the biggest difference being there will be two weeks per year instead of a month. You can post 5 to 20 of your favorite movies from the year being voted on. You can of course list as many as you want, but only 20 will be counted. The point scheme will be the same as the decade polls. I don't know the entire point scheme though, so if somebody would be kind enough to post it, it'd be appreciated.
Year of release will be based on year of original release according to RYM. The 2000 list is here: http://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?year=2000
The top ten from each year will go to the final top 100 vote. Additionally, if films that aren't in english don't do well due to lack of exposure, the top five best performing foreign films from each year will be picked for an extra non-english top 50 at the end.
Great! Here we go...
1. Le Goût des autres [The Taste of Others] (2000)
2. 卧虎藏龙 [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon] (2000)
3. Tillsammans [Together] (2000)
4. Jalla! Jalla! [The Best Man's Wedding] (2000)
5. Zamani barayé masti asbha [A Time for Drunken Horses] (2000)
6. Nueve Reinas [Nine Queens] (2000)
7. Traffic (2000)
8. 花樣年華 [In the Mood for Love] (2000)
9. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
10. Memento (2000)
11. Sous le sable [Under the Sand] (2000)
12. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
13. High Fidelity (2000)
14. Sånger från andra våningen [Songs from the Second Floor] (2000)
15. Den bästa sommaren [A Summer Tale] (2000)
16. Almost Famous (2000)
17. Der Krieger und die Kaiserin [The Princess and the Warrior] (2000)
18. You Can Count on Me (2000)
19. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
20. Italiensk for begyndere [Italian for beginners] (2000)
No, I haven't seen any of the other films. On the to-do list, of course.
1. Le goût des autres
2. Dancer in the Dark
4. Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien
5. American Beauty
7. Virgin Suicide
8. Esther Khan
9. In the mood for love
10. Les blessures assassines
11. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
12. The Talented Mr Ripley
14. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
15. Merci pour le chocolat
17. Chicken Run
Excellent year of cinéma !
1. Sånger från andra våningen
2. Requiem for a Dream
4. 卧虎藏龙 [Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon]
5. Dancer in the Dark
6. Amores perros
7. Shadow of the Vampire
8. Pelon maantiede [The Geography of Fear]
9. Almost Famous
10. Tillsammans [Together]
11. Wonder Boys
12. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
13. The Low Down
14. 101 Reykjavik
15. Dark Days
16. 花樣年華 [In the Mood for Love]
17. Sous le sable [Under the Sand]
19. Chicken Run
20. High Fidelity
I think I'll bump some of these to the top of my netflix queue.
By the way, one note about filling out lists.
If a movie has a different foreign name than it's domestic name, I don't necessarily know that. So, if there's a different domestic name, please try to mention it in parenthesis, to avoid having one movie counted as two different movies.
1. O Brother Where Art Thou 5/5
2. Almost Famous 4.5/5
3. Steal This Movie 4/5
4. High Fidelity 4/5
5. Tao of Steve 4/5
6. Memento 3.5/5
7. Gladiator 3.5/5
8. Road Trip 3/5
9. Best In Show 3/5
10. Requiem For a Dream 3/5
11. The Ladies Man 3/5
12. 100 Girls 3/5
13. Cecil B. Demented 3/5
I really need to see In the Mood For Love. It's just so hard to sit down and pay full attention to a movie with subtitles these days.
New list without the bad year's films !
1. Le goût des autres
2. Dancer in the Dark
3. Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien
5. Esther Khan
6. In the mood for love
7. Les blessures assassines
8. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
10. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
11. Merci pour le chocolat
12. Chicken Run
I've found 30 movies that I like, and I've tried to put them in some sort of order. I found the last 10 to be very enjoyable as well.
1. In the mood for love
3. Amores perros
4. Dancer in the dark
5. Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien
6. Le goût des autres
7. The house of mirth
9. Pitch black
10.Nueve reinas (Nine queens)
16.O brother where art thou?
17.The Way of the gun
23.You can count on me
30.State and main
I think the decade poll format, where you rank everything you have heard/seen from best to worst and the rest gets a midrank, is very suitable for a movie poll, since you have either seen a film or you haven't. With music, there's probably more of a grey zone where you have heard only a song or two from an album and don't know if you're gonna rank the album or not.
Nice! My list:
1. Amores Perros
2. Requiem for a Dream
5. Les Glaneurs et la Glaneuse
6. Werckmeister Harmoniak
8. Dancer in the Dark
9. Wo Hu Cang Long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
10. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
12. Italiensk for Begyndere
13. Batoru Rowaiaru (Battle Royale)
14. Jalla! Jalla!
16. Sous le Sable
17. Erin Brockovich
19. El Bola
20. Yi Yi (A One and a Two)
1. High Fidelity (Stephen Frears) - 9.5
2. Snatch (Guy Ritchie) - 9.5
3. Memento (Christopher Nolan) - 9.5
4. Yi Yi [Yi Yi: A One and a Two] (Edward Yang) - 9.0
5. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky) - 9.0
6. Gladiator (Ridley Scott) - 8.5
7. Amores Perros [Love's a Bitch] (Alejandro González Iñárritu) - 8.5
8. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Ethan Coen / Joel Coen) - 8.5
9. 花樣年華 [In The Mood For Love] (Wong Kar-wai) - 8.0
10. You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan) - 8.0
So few mentions of the masterpiece that is Yi Yi.
when will voting for the year 2000 close? i incidentally have a movie from 2000 coming in my next batch of netflix and figure i might as well give it a chance
1. Memento - Christopher Nolan
2. Unbreakeable - M. Night Shyamalan
3. Cast Away - Robert Zemeckis
4. X-Men - Bryan Singer
5. Les rivières pourpres (The Crimson Rivers)- Mathieu Kassovitz
6. Amores perros (Love's a Bitch)- Alejandro González Iñárritu
7. The Beach - Danny Boyle
8. Comedie de l’nnocence - Raúl Ruiz
9. Code Inconnu (Code Unknown) - Michael Haneke
10. Gladiator - Ridley Scott
11. Thirteeen Days - Roger Donaldson
12. La comunidad (Common Wealth) - Álex de la Iglesia
13. Joe Gould’ Secret - Stanley Tucci
14. Hollow Man - Paul Verhoeven
15. Chicken Run - Nick Park & Peter Lord
16. Hight Fidelity - Stephen Frears
17. Traffic - Steven Soderbergh
18. The Golden Bowl - James Ivory
19. Finding Forrester - Gus Van Sant
20. The Luzhin Defence - Marlene Gorris
21. Nurse Betty - Neil LaBute
22. Malena - Giuseppe Tornatore
23. Pay It Forward - Mimi Leder
24. Keeping the Faith - Edward Norton
25. Meet the Parents - Jay Roach
Vote closes midnight Saturday the 24th.
Yi Yi will be on my list. Yi Yi's one of those really subtle reflective Japanese movies in the style influenced by Tokyo Story. It's the kind of movie that understates itself and lets you dig into it for meaning instead of expressing it directly. So there's a lot of great stuff there if you dig, but it's also overlong and can be boring to sit all the way through.
I bought Dancer in the Dark and Amores Perros, and Taste of Others is arriving via Netflix tomorrow. So I should be able to put in a good list by the deadline.
Do you think I would like Code Unknown, if I didn't like The White Ribbon? (The only Haneke film I've seen)
Of all films I haven't seen, "Amores perros" is probably the one that I hope mostly will become one of my all-time favourites, since I love "21 Grams" and "Babel" while "Amores perros" is probably Alejandro González Iñárritu's most acclaimed work. It has not been available at my DVD rental service, but now I have finally bought it instead. Maybe I won't see it before the deadline though, it doesn't seem to need any points from me anyway.
3. Amores Perros
4. Yi Yi
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. Wonder Boys
7. Erin Brockovich
8. You Can Count on Me
9. Almost Famous
10. Dancer in the Dark
In The Mood For Love
Dancer In The Dark
O Brother Where Art Thou
The Taste Of Others (Les Gout Des Autres)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
I remembered Memento as a film that was cool but didn't make sense watching the plot forwards. When I watched it again last month for the first time since a year after it came out, suddenly Natalie's motives actually made sense.
Amores Perros is just plain awesome. A ridiculously well plotted, well characterized film.
Dancer In The Dark is awesome but so depressing I may never be able to watch it again.
Unbreakable is kind of a 'Be honest' pick for me. My sophomore roommate made me watch it, and it's one of those dumb movies that just kinda works. And it was the only way to get to ten without going into movies I didn't really like.
The one I'm most curious about I haven't seen is Requiem For A Dream. Because I liked The Wrestler but didn't like Pi. Maybe I'll see it if it makes the top ten.
1. Werckmeister Harmonies / Bela Tarr / Hungary
2. Eureka / Shinji Aoyama / Japan
3. Yi Yi / Edward Yang / Taiwan
4. In Vanda's Room / Pedro Costa / Portugal
5. Dancer in the Dark / Lars von Trier / Denmark
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? / Joel Coen / U.S.
7. George Washington / David Gordon Green / U.S.
8. Platform / Jia Zhang-ke / China
9. High Fidelity / Stephen Frears / U.S.
10. Chasing Sleep / Michael Walker / U.S.
Just a reminder to everyone that the 2000 poll closes tomorrow.
Greg, yours is the first ballot not to have Memento on it! (And all but one person had it in their top ten, all but two in their top six.)
good! i thought it was a crap gimmick of a movie...although i haven't seen it since it came out either...
The winners are...
1. Memento 320/10/3
2. Amores Perros 218/7/1
3. Dancer In The Dark 192/8/0
4. In The Mood For Love 154/7/1
5. Requiem For A Dream 151/6/0
6. O Brother Where Art Thou 148/9/1
7. Le Gout Des Autres (The Taste Of Others) 136/4/2
8. Traffic 133/7/0
9. Yi Yi (A One And A Two) 116/5/1
10. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 108/5/0
Almost Famous 101/6/0
High Fidelity 95/6/1
There's more consensus in this vote than there tends to be in music votes, as the average top ten movie was on 62% of ballots. And it looks like out of the people voting, there's no issue with exposure to foreign films, as only 4 of the 10 are American, and 5 of the 10 are english language.
1) Erin Brockovich
2) Meet the Parents
3) Chicken Run
4) Billy Elliot
6) Cast Away
7) Scary Movie
9) How the Grinch Stole Christmas