The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 8

BRACKETOLOGY, ROUND 1, WEEK 8

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 0
1950s: 1
1960s: 11
1970s: 9
1980s: 7
1990s: 2
2000s: 2

Also of note:
Three brackets in the Handel bloc
A song by Joy Division and a song by New Order
Two songs by the Beatles

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
#151: "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
#362: "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]
#663: "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]
#874: "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
#75: "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]
#438: "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]
#587: "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
#950: "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
#215: "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]
#298: "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
#727: "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]
#810: "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
#23: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
#490: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
#535: "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]
#1002: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]
#493: "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
#532: "All Right Now" - Free [1970]
#1005: "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 15
#145: "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
#368: "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]
#657: "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]
#880: "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 14
#225: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]
#288: "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]
#737: "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
#800: "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 14
#233: "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
#280: "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
#745: "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]
#792: "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 8

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]
Truly beautiful, and used perfectly at the end of the Joy Division movie "Control." Curtis' voice always struck me as affected, but there are times on this track when it is absolutely perfect.
2. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]
Revolutionary track. It sounds commonplace now for a track to use over-dubbing the way it was done here, but it's still pretty amazing to hear this one. And Paul's guitar playing! WHOA!
3. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
Chalk me up as the lone person who doesn't "get" this song. I have no doubt that it will win this bracket in a runaway, but it's only getting two points from me.
4. "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]
True story. I once hurt my finger (not very seriously, of course) jabbing the "scan" button on my car radio when this song came on. I kid you not.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]
The quintessential Marley song. Absolutely gorgeous. Not only the best song in this bracket, it's also (for my money) the best song in the Schubert Bloc.
2. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]
The only Stevie song from his Motown period (pre-"Music of My Mind"), and it's easily his best of that period. This is one where the horn section carries the song. Of course, a great sing-along chorus doesn't hurt either.
3. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]
THIS is the only Billy Joel song in the top 1,024? Not "Piano Man"? I am truly shocked. Billy has so many better songs than this one, even off "The Stranger"! To take a line from Anthony, you don't need this song on your iPod. Just turn on the radio to any adult contemporary station, wait a few minutes and you'll hear it.
4. "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
It sounds like "Blue Monday," just not as good.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
Tough call: do I go with the classic Aretha or the classic hard rock track? Gotta go with Aretha. You can just hear the sass in her voice with that first "chain, chain, chain." Absolutely flawless bit of pop music.
2. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]
I'll admit, I'm not a fan of heavy metal. But that opening riff just grabs you by the neck and throttles you for the full two minutes and forty-eight seconds. It's a wild ride, and I'll go on it any day.
3. "Banquet" - Bloc Party
I can't really say I have much of a feeling toward either of these last two songs. I'll go with Bloc Party, but I can't really get excited about it.
4. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]
First time I heard this, I was about to fall asleep and I remember thinking, "There's WAY too much going on in this song." It's like they were just trying to put as much stuff as they could into this one track. When I listened to it again the next morning, it still sounded like "Relax" gone crazy. Never been able to get past that.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]
This song is so much better than #1002. What a lot of fun. Definitely makes me want to tighten up, whatever the hell that means...
2. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
I'm more a fan of the Fab Four's stuff from about 1965 and on, basically the stuff starting with "Rubber Soul." That's not to say that this is a bad song, it's just a little too "goody-goody" and "cutesy" for me. I have no doubt that the forum's Beatles fans will push this one through to the second round.
3. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
No, I don't really want to.
4. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]
I don't know how many times I need to listen to Pet Shop Boys songs before I come to the realization that I don't like them. 'Nuff said.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]
Maybe the perfect Beatles song. Yes it's patchwork, but the way the parts are combined is sheer genius. This is one of the few songs out there that could beat out...
2. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]
Roberta Flack's original is perfect, but the Fugees managed to remake the song and keep it flawless. This is maybe the best song of the '90s. It hurts me to put it at second.
3. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
Anymore, the only time I get to listen to music is when I'm in my car delivering pizzas. As a result, I tend to gravitate more toward upbeat, high-energy songs: something that will get me awake and lively. After a while, I began to wonder if I still could recognize a great ballad if I heard it. I heard this one and knew: I still could. It hurts to put it in third in this bracket, but this is truly a "group of death."
4. "All Right Now" - Free [1970]
It kills me that this song should get fourth place, but all four are five-star songs for me. Absolutely fantastic classic rock song.

1. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]
This is one of the most beautiful songs of all time, and is definitely in my all-time top 20, if I were to ever put together such a list. It is a perfect song. I cannot find anything about this song to critique.
2. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]
Amazing just how one line — hell, make that one WORD — can catapult a song into the second spot for me. Such a ramshackle song, but absolutely mind-blowing too. Rob Tyner, I will always be ready to kick out the jams, motherfucker!
3. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]
Be honest, you're thinking of the bottle deposit episode of Seinfeld right now. I know I am.
4. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
Don't like the Ramones. Hate this song.

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]
Always thought that this song was a little too high. So many other, better Hendrix songs ("Fire" and "The Wind Cries Mary" to name a couple), but the other three songs here are just not as good. Hendrix FTW.
2. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
Another example of an artist having many better songs. "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (rated at #867) is vastly superior, as is the unranked "My World Is Empty Without You." "Baby Love" is kinda... well, I don't want to say "childish," but it's just kinda simplistic. Still better than the other two in the bracket.
3. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]
There's a common theme here. So many better Marley tracks than this one. Frankly, I can't listen to this song and not put in my own line: "We're jammin'/I wanna jam it in you"
4. "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]
Pass.

1. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]
TOUGH bracket here. Three classics by classic artists. I just prefer this one of the three.
2. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
I don't hate John Lennon, I'm just picky as to which parts of his solo stuff I like. This is one of the good ones.
3. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
It hurts to put this one at #3 here, but if it wasn't this one, it would be either Lennon or the Band. Frankly, I prefer those other two.
4. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979]
Once again, Donna only gets one point from me. Sorry, disco fans. Not this time.

I'll try to get them in early this week.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15

1. Joy Division- "Atmosphere": For my money, it's the best Joy Division song of 1980- the mood, furtive emotion, and stately procession of it all is just grand.
2. David Bowie- "Ziggy Stardust": You're not alone, Matt. I think this is Bowie's most overrated song. I feel that the album would be much better represented here by "Moonage Daydream", "Suffragette City", "Five Years" or "Rock 'n Roll Suicide". The title track isn't bad, but it just doesn't do much for me, God-given ass and all.
3. Bon Jovi- "Livin' on a Prayer": As much as I liked pop metal as a kid, I never really got into Bon Jovi. I didn't hate them, but if they weren't good enough to thrill me when I was 9, they certainly aren't now.
4. Les Paul and Mary Ford- "How High the Moon": The guitar is admittedly top notch, but listening to stuff like this makes me wonder if I would have been much a music fan at all back in 1951.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8

1. New Order- "Temptation": This is one of the most joyous songs ever recorded. With songs such as this and "Age of Consent", New Order really launched into the stratosphere of glee. The interplay between the bass, the stuttering synth blips and lyrical expositions on eye color and the glorious "ooooooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" ecstasy make for an easy win here.
2. Stevie Wonder- "Uptight": Stevie's 70s work is clearly superior, but this is one of his better 60s songs, for sure.
3. Billy Joel- "Just the Way You Are": I suppose it's tender and sweet, but it comes off as too saccharine and Hallmark for my tastes.
4. Bob Marley- "No Woman, No Cry": One of my bottom 100 songs ever. I hate everything about it.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10

1. Motörhead- "Ace of Spades": Definitely a thrilling jolt to the system! I think I heard this the last time we did Bracketology and thought I should perhaps check out an album or two, but never did. Perhaps now I will.
2. Bloc Party- "Banquet": I really should like Bloc Party more than I do (which seems to be a recurring theme over the past few weeks). All the ingredients are there for a Moonbeam-friendly single. So why don't I love it?
3. Frankie Goes to Hollywood- "Two Tribes": Frankie Goes to Hollywood seems to be the catalyst behind the change of the alien, cold, otherworldly synthesizers to the warmer, bigger and arena-ready variety. I prefer the former category, myself, but it's hard to deny that this music had a power of its own.
4. Aretha Franklin- "Chain of Fools": It's too bad that Aretha's personality is such a distraction. A rose is not still a rose.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13

1. Franz Ferdinand- "Do You Want To": It seemed like Alex Kapranos and co. were spinning their wheels with this single, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. I still prefer "This Boy", "Walk Away", "I'm Your Villain", "Outsiders" and a few other songs from their second album.
2. Pet Shop Boys- "Being Boring": This one definitely registers better with me now than it used to. Perhaps it took some tough experiences for me to realize how my own system of values has changed over time. This song captures those feelings well.
3. Archie Bell & The Drells- "Tighten Up": That's quite a nice rhythm that runs through this song. Now make it mellow! Free Xone!
4. The Beatles- "I Want to Hold Your Hand": Another song in my bottom 100. This song causes me to combust into a pool of pure vitriol.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13

1. The Fugees- "Killing Me Softly": Now, I may not have been thrilled with "Doo Wop" in last week's offerings, but this is another story. Heartbreakingly beautiful and a deserving new classic, it casts a huge shadow.
2. The Pogues- "Fairytale of New York": Festive and majestic it is! I hadn't heard anything by The Pogues before other than a duet with Kylie Minogue (I know, shame on me!), but this is intriguing indeed!
3. Free- "All Right Now": The kind of music that Jet seems to emulate. In other words, no thanks.
4. The Beatles- "A Day in the Life": I'm sure my disdain for this song won't prevent it from advancing.

1. The Ramones- "Blitzkrieg Bop": Ay oh, let's go! Nobody knows how to inject more fun into 2 minutes than The Ramones.
2. MC5- "Kick Out the Jams": Kick it does! I had never heard this before, even though I'm from Michigan. If more 60s music was like this, I'd probably like it better! This is the beauty of extending Bracketology to 1024 songs.
3. Petula Clark- "Downtown": What a great bracket! The fact that this is 3rd is a shame, as it's pretty wonderful. Cinematic grandeur like this transcends generations.
4. Simon and Garfunkel- "The Boxer": Up against 3 giants.

1. Jimi Henrdix Experience- "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)": Guitar carnage of the highest order, as it eviscerates the competition.
2. The Jam- "Going Underground": I wish I could place this first considering how I've treated other songs by The Jam, but it's just overmatched by Hendrix here. This is just a wonderful song.
3. The Supremes- "Baby Love": Massive drop-off to this. Gimme Ronnie Spector!
4. Bob Marley and the Wailers- "Jamming": See "No Woman, No Cry".

1. Donna Summer- "Hot Stuff": My wife was born when this was number 1. How's that for hot stuff?!
2. Johnny Cash- "Ring of Fire": Yikes. Ranking this song second feels like making Sarah Palin VP.
3. The Band- "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down": Somebody put me out of my misery!
4. John Lennon- "Instant Karma!": Instant hate!

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. Ziggy Stardust - Gotta give Bowie the props in this bracket. I'm not a huge fan, but this song is great.
2. How High the Moon
3. Livin' on a Prayer
4. Atmosphere

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley takes this one easy. Such a great song in a relatively weak bracket.
2. Uptight (Everything's Alright)
3. Temptation
4. Just the Way You Are

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. Two Tribes - I don't know why. I don't like Motorhead. This song was the best. Just barely beat out Aretha though.
2. Chain of Fools
3. Ace of Spades
4. Banquet

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. I Want to Hold Your Hand - Good Beatles tune. Back from when they were still a rock band.
2. Tighten Up
3. Do You Want To
4. Being Boring

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. Killing Me Softly with His Song - A great version of a great song by a great group. Easily takes this bracket. Can't believe it's not in the top 1000.
2. All Right Now
3. A Day in the Life
4. Fairytale of New York

1. The Boxer - S&G are the best songwriters in this bracket by far. The other 3 songs are pretty lame and very overrated.
2. Downtown
3. Kick Out the Jams
4. Blitzkrieg Bop

1. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - HENDRIX BITCH!!!!! But honestly, a very strong bracket overall...
2. Jamming
3. Baby Love
4. Going Underground

1. Ring of Fire - I just had to pick one. Sorry John Lennon, you almost got it. I had to pick classic Cash over post-Beatles Lennon. I actually don't really like this song though.
2. Instant Karma
3. Hot Stuff
4. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15

Sort of a weak bracket, for me at least.

1. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]

I mainly like this for the rhythm section, some real oomph here that propels it to the top.

2. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]

Objectively, I think this should win this bracket. But this is a subjective poll, and there are quite a few by Joy Division I enjoy more.

3. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]

Part of me wants this to be #1, but it doesn't resonate with me enough at the end of the day.

Back in the '80s I dismissed Bon Jovi as hideous dreck. Well, they were still mostly hideous dreck, but this song is sort of OK, especially the absolutely over-the-top modulating key change. I'm a sucka for stuff like that. Not enough to keep this out of last place in the bracket, mind.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8

A better group!

Wow, 1-3 could be any order here, but I've gotta give Bob his props, this is pretty much a timeless classic that can't even be ruined by all the college bars in the world combined. That's gotta stand for something.

2. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]

Pure verve and excitement, though I'm more of a '70s Stevie kinda guy. ("I Was Made to Love Her" would've topped most of my brackets though.)

3. "Temptation" - New Order [1982]

So many great New Order singles, though this doesn't have the same replay value in my house as "Blue Monday", "Ceremony", or even "True Faith".

4. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]

Very, very bland, and bad. I generally hate Billy Joel, but even he has better ballads than this.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10

Barely holds off Motorhead, this is pretty unassailable soul.

2. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]

3. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]

It's been a long time since I listened to this, and it's still OK, but oh so very dated.

4. "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]

Never saw what separated Bloc Party from so many other like bands.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13

1. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]

Utterly impossible to resist, and whenever it's sampled (and that's fairly often), I'm lovin' it.

2. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]

There are PSB songs I like more, but this still gets #2 more or less by default. Good track.

3. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]

Just destroyed by overplay, but even putting my objective hat on I think there are about 10 early Beatles songs that are better.

4. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]

Not particularly.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13

I don't play it much anymore, but it's pretty much a masterpiece, can't argue that.

2. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]

The interplay between MacGowan and MacColl absolutely makes this song. Actually, Kirsty MacColl pretty much makes any song.

3. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]

Doesn't hold a candle to the original, but certainly still good.

I never, never liked this classic rock staple. It's got that overly-macho type of vocal that just grates on me.

A really, really tough bracket, all 4 are pretty damn great.

1. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]

It's all in how he says "bop".

2. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]

Pretty gorgeous song, so very produced, but somehow not outrageously so.

3. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]

Actually, I think the MC5 were full of shit half the time, but this is so straightforward in its mayhem evoking I give 'em a pass.

4. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]

I feel bad having this at #4, really, it's just excellent mid-'60s pop.

About as menacing as psychedelia could get.

2. "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]

Very good Jam single, good enough to take this slot in a weak bracket. (Would've lost to "Downtown" in the bracket above, though.)

3. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]

I like many of their hits better than this one.

4. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]

Y'know that line about all the college bars not destroying "No Woman No Cry"? Just a smidgen of them destroyed "Jamming". Probably because it's just not nearly as good.

Ack! An impossible bracket. All really good here.

One of their very best, and one I'd place ahead of "The Weight" any day of the week. This runs roughshod over just about any modern alt-country one can name.

2. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]

The mariachi spices really take this up a level.

3. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]

If I could ever record my drums to sound like this, I'd be very, very happy. Just pipped by The Man In Black, this is still a great song and one of the best of solo Lennon.

Very good disco song, though Donna, even though more popular than ever, sounds like she's starting to coast in the disco slipstream rather than leading the charge.

Where are my fellow "Temptation"-lovers? It made the top 200 in our songs poll a few years ago!

Moonbeam
Where are my fellow "Temptation"-lovers? It made the top 200 in our songs poll a few years ago!

Don't worry,I'm coming. Only 'Atmosphere' can match it in my book from all the songs this week...

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972] In my first band we used to open our sets with this song. A great classic
2. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980] : A lot of what would become the New Order sound can be heard here, but with Curtis' deep and moving vocals.
3. "How High the Moon" 3.25- Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951] Strange hybrid pop song where Mary Ford pop vocals meet Les Paul's pre-rock'n'roll electric guitar
4.: "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986] : the eighties at their worst

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1: "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975] : the live version of course !
2 "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966] : Stevie when he was still sticking to the Motown formula. Good song.
3 "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977] : ok, it's bland and overplayed and absolutely unoriginal, but I like the melody and the arrangement is so mid-seventies … (I love the mid seventies)
4 "Temptation" - New Order [1982] : not that it's not a good song, but I just don't like it

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10

1 "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968] : bluesy and rootsy soul : Nicolas likes it
2. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980] :
3. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984] : guess I hadn't heard this since 1984. And you know what : it's not THAT bad. I always liked their exuberance. Anybody remembers the clip ?
4 "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005] : in the 2000s a lot of young people told me about Bloc Party. These young guys probably had never heard about the Cure. Anyway this is a decent song. Almost a tie with Frankie but Frankie is an old friend.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13 weak bracket
1: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964] : Nothing much to say about it. It's a classic. It's good. More for the promises it holds.
2: "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990] 3.75 : pleasant
3: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968] : cool enough
4: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005] 3.5 : efficient but limited

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13 : same weak bracket
1 "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967] : I just like it. It 's a bit pretentious I guess.
2 "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988] : I never really could get the meeting of Shane Mc Gowan and a string ensemble
3 "All Right Now" - Free [1970] : efficient but limited
4 "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996] : lazy

1 "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970] : One of the first folk songs I ever heard. Wonderful melody.
2 "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976] : These guys really started something, whether you like it or not.
3 "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969] : wild
4 "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964] : pleasant superficial pop song. Great horn arrangements in the end

1 "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968] : One of the highlighs of Jimi Hendrix. Every would-be electric guitarist tried themselves at the intro.
2 "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977] : one in so many great Marley singles
3 "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980] : unlucky 3rd in a good bracket
4 "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964] : I could never get the Supremes and their silk pop-soul.

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 14 excellent bracket
1 "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963] : Almost a tie with the second, I just love Cash and I'm reading Cormac McCarthy's Border trilogy so the Mexican horns speak to me.
2 "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970] : one of John's best singles. Could have been a great Beatles song
3 "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979] : a dance floor bomb
4 "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969] : it's a shame they are number 4 but the bracket is solid

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972] - The song that launched the album and Bowie's career off the launching pad into the stratosphere, and it's a middle-of-the pack song on that album.
2. "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986] - I can't think of a better pop-metal song. If this is cheesy, then so is Bruce Springsteen.
3. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951] - I never knew Les Paul the player, just his guitars, but this song is a great example of the genius he was. It's short on a tune though.
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980] - I prefer the angular, attacking Joy Division to the atmospheric one.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975] - There's no competition here, Bob's electric performance of one of his best songs wins hands down.
2. "Temptation" - New Order [1982] - It's classic New Order, which means it's great, but it's not "Blue Monday," so it's not that great.
3. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977] - A cute little song, arranged well enough, not terribly deep or rewarding but pleasant.
4. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966] - Stevie is a legend, just not in 1966. Come back in ten years.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968] - One of the most soulful songs I've ever heard. It's on the same plane as "Respect" in my book.
2. "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005] - I think the riff is just irresistible, and BP have the tightest rhythm section in the world. God I wish I could play with that drummer
3. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980] - Overplayed and overrated.
4. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984] - This song would only be a hit in 1984. Not a minute later.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964] - Not as good as its position would suggest. Give me "She Loves You" instead any day of the week.
2. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005] - It's sometimes funky, but other times I hear it and the chorus is just grating.
3. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968] - Average. The guitar lick holds it up.
4. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990] - This song wasn't boring but worse - annoying.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967] - If you need an explanation, listen to the song.
2. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996] - I flip-flop between this and the original as to which is the better version, but either way you go you can't lose, unless of course you're comparing it to "A Day in the Life."
3. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988] - Aye me lads, it's Christmas in Dublin, not New York, you dirty Protestant bastard!
4. "All Right Now" - Free [1970] - Falls under the "bad classic rock" category.

1. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970] - The top 3 are very close, but having heard S&G's Greatest Hits my entire childhood I have to go with the sentimental favorite.
2. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976] - Raw, unadorned, but catchy as hell. Too bad it's overplayed these days (though you would have never heard that when it came out).
3. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969] - This what the sound of AM pop being demolished sounds like.
4. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964] - Never had a shot.

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968] - This song will make you just freak out and say "WTF is he doing!?" but that's the thrill of this song.
2. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977] - Everything Bob touches turns to gold. This song is no exception.
3. "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980] - A solid number 3, but I don't see the Jam getting any songs through.
4. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964] - Good, like any Motown single, but not particularly great.

1. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970] - Such a great song. It's happy, uplifting, and everything I don't normally associate John's solo career with, but in a good way.
2. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963] - Not his best, just his most famous.
3. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969] - The Band: the first alt-country band. But they're really an afterthought to most of my listening.
4. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979] - Nah, I'll pass.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
Most aptly titled song ever.
#151: "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
Fun weird Bowie.
Fun twangy 50's pop. Instrumentally it reminds me of the Sun Sessions.
After being forced to listen to disposable pop all day, I have to say I don't mind this. It's kind of cheesy, but it's not all bad. Although Mr Jovi, I'm afraid I have to confiscate your wa-wa pedal.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
#438: "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]
This is a classic song I've hardly heard because of my generally album-oriented approach to music. I need to fit singles into my listening better.
Second highest AM rated album I don't have. ...And now I need to buy it. This just sounds more organic than some of the other Marley I've heard. The raggae beats seem more smooth and less labored.
#587: "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
Good song. Against two better songs.
I saw the name Billy Joel, I got my 'meh' stamp ready. A minute or so later, I stamped it. If you open up the dictionary to the word 'innocuous', it should play this song like a Hallmark sound card.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
#727: "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]
Never heard this. I need to look into their albums.#298: "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
Aretha rocks. And to think in today's record industry she'd be turned away at the door in favor of an anorexic lipsyncer with a scandalous lovelife. I suppose she could have won American Idol, but then she'd have had to sign a contract requiring that all songs she recorded were emotionally blank, schmaltzy, and had no backup singers or actual instruments.
#215: "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]
Motorhead is a band I can't get into, but at least their music is often fun. I find all the raving about death and destruction in metal songs pretty hilarious, actually. I wrote a parody of that style called 'Burning skulls/River of blood'.
#810: "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]
I never got Bloc Party.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
I was almost hoping it was boring so I could quip 'Another aptly titled song'. I like the effect of the two simultaneous vocals.#490: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
I always seem to like Franz Ferdinand stuff but then it never holds my attention much.
#23: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
This song makes me think of the Rutles parody "Please Please Hold My Hand". Not bad, but not worthy of #23. It's a bit too blatantly designed around a hook, that is a bit too blatantly intended to please conservative 1960's parents.
#1002: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]
Meh. A bit weak. And he sings about the song during the song, which is a little weird.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]
Slightly overrated, but a slightly overrated Beatles song is better than an underrated song by almost anyone else.
#1005: "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]
Really good for a pop R&B song, but a bit too repititious. (And what the hell does 'One time' mean?)
Pretty good standard 70's rock.
#493: "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
Never got the Pogues.

#657: "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]
I can't believe this is as far down as 657. It'd be in my top 100, at least. "Such are promises, all lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" is on my shortlist of best song lyrics ever.
#145: "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
Probably the funnest punk song ever, and punk is a genre that thrives on being fun. Easy to play on guitar too.
#880: "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]
This song I now inextricably associate with Lost. Now if you'll excuse me, my mother just went into labor and I have to go deliver myself.#368: "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]
MC5 are a band I find generally lame.

#225: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]
Respect the Hendrix. One of the greatest guitar songs of all time. And have you ever noticed when Jimi Hendrix says something it automatically sounds epic?
#288: "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]
Not a bad song. Not their best, but one of their most representative.
#800: "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]
This is an example of a Marley song that sounds labored to me.
#737: "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
It's almost like they psychically forsaw this song becoming a mainstay of vapid American sitcoms.

#233: "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
Great song. Long, prodding movie. (Hollywood, stop making all our great singers into pathetic addict douches! Even if they were!)
Not even in my top five on this album.
#280: "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
Not one of his better songs. What the heck?
Very weak, typical disco.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1: "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder: A melody so delicious that Noel "I-shamelessly-steal-from-everyone-including-myself" Gallagher borrowed it for the chorus of a song called "Step Out", which would've been track 8 on WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY had Gallagher not been found out. But along came an allegation of copyright infringement, legal action was threatened and the song was removed from the album at the last minute, becoming one of the record's several fantastic b-sides.
2: "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers
3: "Temptation" - New Order
4: "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1: "Banquet" - Bloc Party: As someone else noted, Bloc Party are a group with a very mechanical rhythm section, but it doesn't stop there: even their double-guitar attack is very robotic (listen to the syncopated riffing preceding the first verse). This could make for a very uninteresting listen, but what BP does well is their ability to infuse heart into it, which makes their brand of new-wave indie-dance-punk quite enjoyable and affective. Well, their first album anyway. They kind of lost me on their second album, but their first record "Silent Alarm" is definitely worthy of the acclaim. I'm not sure if "Banquet" is even the best song from it ("Pioneers" and "So Here We Are" are great, and "This Modern Love" is the best track), but it's definitely representative of the band.
2: "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin
3: "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead
4: "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1: "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys: I only heard this song for the first time ever this past Saturday night (mere hours before this week's brackets were posted) -- I was hanging out with some friends and one of them put on "Discography", the Pet Shop Boys singles collection. Before that, I'd never really given the duo the time of day, but to my surprise I really enjoyed the songs. This, and "Domino Dancing", were the two that really stood out.
2: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles: This really ought to be first, but 11 out of 12 possible points for this week's Beatles-related songs is still pretty good.
3: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells
4: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand: Marked the point where I stopped giving a shit about Franz Ferdinand (not that I really did much to begin with). This was their hugely anticipated single following the success of their debut album, and I figured that even if it didn't quite match the brilliance of "Take Me Out", that it would still be pretty damn good. But then I heard it, and I was like "what. the fuck. is this?" An absolutely atrocious song; it immediately struck me as the sound of an uninspired band clinging desperately to success by repackaging all of their little tricks (dance-y riffs, sexually ambiguous lyrics) into a b-side, and then having the audacity to fool the public with it. (Iirc, it was that repeating "oh lucky lucky/you're so lucky" part that was the final nail in the coffin of any support I had for the band.) Also worth noting... I think they took the writing of this song about as seriously as they took making its accompanying video. If you've seen it, then you know what I'm talking about.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles: Bunnggggg. A sound that took nine takes to perfect.
2: "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees
3: "All Right Now" - Free
4: "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues

1: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience: As a guitarist, it almost feels like some sort of bad karma will befall me if I don't put this song #1. And since I'd like my equipment to work at our next gig, Jimi gets my vote.
2: "Baby Love" - The Supremes
3: "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers
4: "Going Underground" - The Jam

1: "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon: It's been documented as one of the fastest-released songs in pop music history, but I don't know if this song continues to sound fresh because of that or because it's just a tight, well-constructed stomp. Either way, it's my favorite Lennon song by about half a country mile.
2: "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band: The version on "Last Waltz" is a bit tastier than the studio release, imo.
3: "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer
4: "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Atmosphere" – As others have said it has fantastic Atmosphere all around one of their very best.
2. "Ziggy Stardust" – My favourite off its album. I really like most of the song.
3. "Livin' on a Prayer" – Catchy with a humongous chorus. Blows past my line of cheese, but is kinda endearing.
4. "How High the Moon" – Not really my thing.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" – This song is so happy and catchy. It'd be hard to think of someone else carrying it.
2. "No Woman, No Cry" – One of my favourite of his, nice and slow.
3. "Temptation" – Good song that does a lot good, but has no standout parts.
4. "Just the Way You Are" – Not offensive, but I've heard this many times and it is just there.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Ace of Spades" – Such a small piece of raw fast rock and roll. It is one of my favourite metal songs. All instruments are fantastic and so is Lemmy.
2. "Banquet" – A great song with a catchy riff and more importantly its fun.
3. "Chain of Fools" – A huge drop with this song. Sure the singing is great, but she rarely appeals to me.
4. "Two Tribes" – First time hearing this and this is the sort of thing I used to think of when I heard '80s music. Horrible production and an underlying song.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. I Want to Hold Your Hand" – Overplayed and definitely not one my top 25 songs, but this song is a ton of fun and seems irresistible for someone a little younger than me.
2. "Being Boring" – Great song where I love the singing and the synth.
3. "Do You Want To" – More funny than a great song.
4. "Tighten Up" – Good song, but it fails to impress like the others.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "A Day in the Life" - One of their best this song is maybe the culmination of the their songwriting partnership. One of my favourite songs.
2. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - I love it and prefer it a lot to the original.
3. "All Right Now" - Straightforward dad rock.
4. "Fairytale of New York" – I have a really hard time liking Irish folk from being overexposed as a child and the torture of Riverdance. This song I dislike just like all the others.

1. "Blitzkrieg Bop" – Hugely influential and fun, but is a little one-dimensional like a lot of their music.
2. "The Boxer" – Beautiful , but not as much as some of their other stuff.
3. "Kick Out the Jams" – Another similarly influential song that seems a little less pop focused.
4. "Downtown" – Cool chorus, but thats it.

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" – Maybe the best all around use of a guitar in a song. This is fantastic, but I once tried to compare all his music to this in terms of how cool the guitar is and few even came close. A few years later I started to appreciate his music on its own terms.
2. "Going Underground" - Can't compare to Voodoo Child, but the best of the rest is a solid song.
3. "Jamming" – Cool, but I've heard it a little too much.
4. "Baby Love" – So smooth and what I perceive to be childish.

1. "Ring of Fire" - Why do I love his singing instead of hating it?
2. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" – Love the chorus and the other parts.
3. "Instant Karma! - This is not how I like my John Lennon.
4. "Hot Stuff" – The best I can say is it is better than a lot of her other stuff.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]: Several of this week’s brackets don’t contain any choices I truly feel that strongly about, and this is one of them. “Ziggy” wins by default, even though it’s only about my 4th or 5th favorite track on its own album.
2. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]: Yes, the song itself sounds impossibly corny and dated, but Paul’s innovations haven’t aged a bit. Every sound you hear on this record was made with Les’s guitar and Mary’s voice, both multi-multitracked and reverbed to within an inch of their lives, and it must have sounded every bit as futuristic at the time as it sounds like a relic now.
3. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]: This might have been #1 if I’d been living with it in my head for as long as the Bowie track (and if I liked Curtis and JD as much as I respect them).
4. "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]: With all the CDs I own, I’ve only ever been embarrassed at the prospect of being seen purchasing one of them. That one was SLIPPERY WHEN WET. The only song on that album (which contains this gigantic, inescapable hit) that I actually enjoy is “Wanted Dead or Alive,” and even that’s a huge hunk of ripe cheese. The best thing about this song is that it inspired a Dr. Demento parody titled “Livin’ Without Hair.”

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]: One of the greatest singles of Motown’s golden era, and for me the undisputed highlight of Stevie’s pre-TALKING BOOK catalog. Where a lot of the label’s output is a little too sedate for its own good, this one is so propulsively paced (Stevie can barely keep up) that at first you think the record’s playing too fast.
2. "Temptation" - New Order [1982]: Sets the template for everything else they did, but seems more emotional, more human somehow. And it never gets dull, even over eight minutes.
3. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]: Yes, it’s a classic, both in its studio and live versions. But for some reason I’ve just never really been able to connect with it, possibly because I’d read so much about how great it was before ever hearing it that it just couldn’t match my expectations.
4. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]: Bleh. I do enjoy some of his work, including on this album – there’s no denying the man’s craftsmanship and showmanship – but this one (whose message is essentially “Hey, you’re not much, but I’ll take you”) deserves all the scorn routinely heaped on it.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]: Choosing between #1 and #2 here was a very tough decision – or, I thought it would be, until I cranked this one up. The essence of Lemmy and company, and maybe of hard rock in general.
2. "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]: Nothing against the Motown sound, but THIS is soul, the real deal – and for the Queen, even more gutbucket than usual. It’s a toss-up as to which is more stunning: the call-and-response vocals, or Roger Hawkins’s extraordinary-as-always drumming.
3. "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]: BP are another band in my “admire-more-than-enjoy” category. They know what they’re doing – the interlocking guitars and stop-start rhythm section always play off each other in interesting ways – but to me it doesn’t add up to much.
4. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]: A relic of its era that doesn’t hold up that well.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]: Another win-by-default. Is it a first-rate pop single? Of course. Is it a little mystifying that THIS is The Song That Won The World? Kind of. Is it one of the 50 best Beatles songs? No, it isn’t.
2. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]: A great dance single. Fun fact: Bell and, I think, most of the Drells were in the Army when the record came out and didn’t even know how big a hit they had until it went to #1. Now make it mellow!
3. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]: Great melodic turns and fascinating lyrics, but over six-and-a-half minutes I have to admit it does start to live up to its title a bit.
4. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]: SH2B4, even in a relatively weak bracket. A fun and flamboyant little number (and oh-so-risque with its winks to bisexuality), but mostly a reminder of how more-of-the-same-but-less-so their second album is.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]: Another case of What’s Left To Say? The album may be slightly overrated, but its finale really is probably their finest achievement, a brilliant synthesis of everything that John and Paul separately brought to the big Beatle table, held together by Ringo’s tenacious drumming, George Martin’s studio genius, and some of rock’s greatest orchestral passages. Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-AHH-ah-ah-ah!
2. "All Right Now" - Free [1970]: Another classic-rock warhorse that never gets old for me. Double-tracking was invented for what Paul Kossoff does with the guitars here.
3. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]: As trenchant an examination of how romantic dreams utterly collapse in the face of harsh reality and personal failure as “Fast Car,” but rawer and funnier (“you scumbag, you maggot/you cheap lousy faggot”), and one of the great rock and roll Christmas songs to boot. Tragic side note: who would have ever predicted that Shane McGowan would be the half of this duet who’s not dead?
4. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]: An effective cover, to be sure, but pretty straightforward (simply yelling “Yo! Yo!” in the background a lot isn’t exactly a transformation).

1. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]: Possibly my favorite S&G track, a novelistically detailed character study with a wonderful arrangement that builds to a majestic climax.
2. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]: The two protopunk classics in this bracket effectively cancel each other out. This one gets a slight edge for sincerity and for well-deployed obscenity.
3. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]: As an opening blast that set the tone for everything that followed, it can’t be beat, but it’s not necessarily one of my favorites of theirs.
4. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]: Cheesy but absolutely irresistible. A lot of pop hits from this era have faded into obscurity; Clark’s ode to losing – and finding – yourself in the crowd has endured, and for good reason.

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]: Five minutes of some of the most scorching guitar work ever recorded. The man could play.
2. "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]: The whole of Britpop can be traced, in a straight line, back to this single. I forgot how good it is. Gotta love those key changes!
3. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]: There was a period at one of my jobs where whenever there was a paper jam in the copy machine I would say, “And you thought jamming was a thing of the past.” I don’t think anyone ever got it. Anyway, a good song on a great album, but one that’s been kind of played to death.
4. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]: State-of-the-art pop from the Hitsville assembly line, for better and worse. I far prefer the Supremes #1’s that both directly preceded and followed this one.

1. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]: I was all set to put Lennon at #1, but I can’t deny this song its rightful place. It’s one of Robbie Robertson’s signal achievements as a songwriter, and the brilliantly stately arrangement fits the archaic subject matter perfectly.
2. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]: Pretty much written, recorded and released in the space of about two days, and it sounds like it, but it’s all the greater for that raw spontaneity – sometimes his solo stuff (MIND GAMES and after) sounds TOO fussed-over. And you can’t really argue with the message.
3. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]: This is an exceptionally strong bracket; any of these four songs could have topped the majority of this week’s other groupings. Placing Cash’s extraordinary mariachi-tinged love song (written by his future wife) in this slot is strictly a rare case of SH2B3.
4. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979]: THE great rock-disco hybrid, and as such extremely influential. Bonus points for its brilliant use in the unemployment-line scene in THE FULL MONTY.

I'm not very excited by the 5 first brackets (even though there are some songs are really like in them) but the following 2 are great !

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15 : I'll stick with the AM order on this one, don't like any of the 3 bottom songs
#151: "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972] : to my mind the 2nd best track of this fabulous album, one of the greatest riff ever and one of the best song to play in a Guitar Hero game

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
#438: "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966] : still sounds incredibly fresh more than 40 years after, I miss that energy on many other Stevie Wonder's record
#587: "Temptation" - New Order [1982] : good New Order song, far from their best however

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
#215: "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980] : see Matt Schroeder comment
#810: "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005] : see Anthony comment (even though I would not choose exactly the same songs as best of Silent Alarm).
#298: "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968] : see brose comment
#727: "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984] : see Matt Schroeder comment (again)

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
#23: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964] : very cute and simple song... and not overplayed on this side of the Atlantic !
#1002: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968] : a bit messy
#490: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005] : one of my biggest disappointment ever... terrible follow-up to a great album

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
#20: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967] : I'm not as much a fan as some on this forum or as my former roommate (and still best friend) but it is easilly good enough to win this bracket
#493: "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988] : I really like Rum, Sodomy and the Lash and I don't think this song stand the comparison
#1005: "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996] : suffers the comparison with Bonita Applebaum but clearly part of the soundtrack of my teenage years

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 15 : very good bracket !
#368: "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969] : I love the intro... it's one of the rawest, purest rock song, the essence of indie and garage rock. But I agree that most of the other songs by MC5 are not much interesting
#145: "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976] : the essence of fun and punk
#657: "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970] : lovely song, would have won half of the brackets of the week
#880: "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964] : might have won some other brackets too

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 14 : very tough choice... any song could have ended first I think
#737: "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964] : plain irresistible, one of the best girl band song ever
#225: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968] : not Jimi most accessible song but what a riff anyway !
#288: "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980] : one of the few Jam songs I really like, still can not stand the voice however
#800: "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977] : Once I love a reggea song, it ends on a very good bracket...

#280: "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970] : quite strange for me to put a Lennon song on top of a bracket, but for once, I really like this song
#233: "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963] : so cliché that it becomes quite ridiculous

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
2. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
3. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]

My 7th or 8th favorite Joy Division track beats my 6th lr 7th track from Ziggy Stardust.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
2. "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
3. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]

I'm probably one of the bigger Bob Marley fans on this site, and this one is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Bob tune.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
2. "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]
3. "Ace of Spades" - Motorhead [1980]

An average Aretha song wins a weak bracket based soleyl on her vocal strength.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]:
2. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
3. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]:
4. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]

I think any one of my T100 Beatles songs would have won this bracket. IWtHyH is prob only in the T25, but it contains possibly the most successful and irresitable hook in pop music history.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
2. "All Right Now" - Free [1970]
3. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
4. "Killing Me Softly with His Song"

The winner of the 2005 and 2008 song poll, and STILL champion of the world! A Day in the Life! I would probably write 3 pages on how perfect this song is, how everything about it is brilliant. John Lennon sings like he's on another planet; his vocal in this song may be among the very hardest to imitate in all of music.

2. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
3. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]
4. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]

I'll take The Boxer over S&G's more pop singles any day. As for the punks, The Ramones made far better music. MC5 was really just Stooges without a lot of what made them great.

3. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]
4. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]

We might have a new top scorer, as I think Jimi has taken every #1 so far. Not too much to say about Voodoo Child other than that it contains the best recorded guitar solo of all time, as well as one of the catchiest intros.

2. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
3. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]

Very close among the T3, however I feel like I owe The Band. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down was the background music to an iMovie project I made about the Civil War. I got an A, so I've got to give it it's due.

Harold Wexler
2. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]: A great dance single. Fun fact: Bell and, I think, most of the Drells were in the Army when the record came out and didn’t even know how big a hit they had until it went to #1. Now make it mellow!

I'll see your fun fact and raise you a funner fact. Bell was actually laid up with a broken leg when this song hit #1. So much for "dancing as good as we want!"

Harold Wexler
3. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]: There was a period at one of my jobs where whenever there was a paper jam in the copy machine I would say, “And you thought jamming was a thing of the past.” I don’t think anyone ever got it.

This made my week. I can't wait to use this line!

Okay, time for a game break! As of right now, we have...

1) Two brackets with a tie for first place. In one of these two brackets, the third-place song is only one point behind.

2) A bracket where first and second are separated by only two points.

3) A bracket where first and second are separated by only six points.

4) A bracket where first and second are separated by only seven points.

Still time left to vote, so if you haven't done so yet, be sure you do!

Matt Schroeder
Harold Wexler

I'll see your fun fact and raise you a funner fact. Bell was actually laid up with a broken leg when this song hit #1. So much for "dancing as good as we want!"

just add some Moonbeam powder to this, and sum bell-z-well.. I'd never stop dancing anyway.. again... me fraids

HANDEL 15
1. "Atmosphere" - powerful
2. "Livin' on a Prayer"
3. "How High the Moon"
4. "Ziggy Stardust"

SCHUBERT 8
1. "No Woman, No Cry" - no woman, DSB
2. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)"
3. "Temptation"
4. "Just the Way You Are"

HANDEL 10
1. "Chain of Fools" - why did your doctor say take it easy?
2. "Ace of Spades"
3. "Two Tribes"
4. "Banquet"

HANDEL 13
1. "Being Boring" - perfect opener to a nearly perfect album
2. "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
3. "Tighten Up"
4. "Do You Want To"

BRAHMS 13
1. "Fairytale of New York" - crushingly sweet
2. "Killing Me Softly with His Song"
3. "All Right Now"
4. "A Day in the Life"

SIBELIUS 15
1. "The Boxer" - its "proverbs" seem a little forced, but it's still one of their better songs
2. "Downtown"
3. "Blitzkrieg Bop"
4. "Kick Out the Jams"

BEETHOVEN 14
1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - voodoo child indeed
2. "Baby Love"
3. "Going Underground"
4. "Jamming"

RACHMANINOFF 14
1. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - sometimes it takes an outsider to write about a specific time and place with this kind of heart and clarity. or as mr. mcluhan put it, i don't know who discovered water, but it wasn't a fish
2. "Ring of Fire"
3. "Hot Stuff"
3. "Instant Karma!"

HANDEL 15
1. ATMOSPHERE. Very appropriately-named. I don’t know the Joy Division story in great detail (except the end, natch)—does anyone know if Brian Eno was a noted influence? Whether or not, this has to go down as an early version of ambient pop, yes? Beautiful.
2. ZIGGY STARDUST. What everyone else has said—good song, not among the best on the album. I know I promised not to reminisce too much, but back in the first week of bracketology ’07, this upset “My Generation.”
3. LIVIN’ ON A PRAYER. Bon Jovi is almost the perfect storm of everything that was deplorable in mainstream 80’s pop. But I’m tellin’ ya, if you don’t like this song, then I suspect you are actively trying not to. I think Greil Marcus’ comment on this one was along the lines of: sometimes you have to trust that the teenage girls know what they’re doing.
4. HOW HIGH THE MOON. Historically significant and also fun, but has never really risen above the level of a novelty song. Still, RIP Les. And bonus points for Mary Ford, sounding like a lost Andrews Sister.

SCHUBERT 8
1. UPTIGHT. Much as I like his mid-seventies albums, I don’t think Stevie ever had a song to top this one. Hell, I’m not sure Motown did.
2. NO WOMAN NO CRY. Bob Marley is not my favorite reggae artist, in large part because of the mythology that surrounds him. But if you’re a mythic figure, your best showcase is an epic, which is what this is. Fantastic.
3. TEMPTATION. Interesting to compare this to “Atmosphere”…you can see where they’re going without Ian, but they’re not there yet. The beta-test version of “Blue Monday.”
4. JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. Repulsive on almost every level. I doubt it even works as a seduction song.

HANDEL 10
1. ACE OF SPADES. Gloriously cheap and completely effective.
2. CHAIN OF FOOLS. Great song—fantastic bass line and backing vocals (I don’t base my vote on an artist’s personality, but Moonbeam, I’d be curious for details about Aretha’s villainy).
3. BANQUET. I shudder to say this, but, although I can see the appeal, I think I’m too old for this one.
4. TWO TRIBES. I’ve seen at least a few critics who proclaim this the equal of “Relax.” I don’t see it. Not bad, but a coattail song if ever there was one.

HANDEL 13
1. BEING BORING. The PSBs’ finest moment. Neil Tennant never sounded young, so this bittersweet reflection suits him perfectly.
2. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND. Although I disagree strongly with the idea that pre-Rubber Soul Beatles is skippable, I have to recognize that this has its limitations. Also, it’s partly rated #23 (instead of the better “She Loves You”) because of its gargantuan impact in America. But, even though I was born exactly four years after that happened, I still feel that impact.
3. TIGHTEN UP. Archetypal frat rock. It’s a lot of fun, actually.
4. DO YOU WANT TO. Interesting that this and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” are in the same group. They share a theme (kinda), cool changes of key and rhythm, and vocals that, at times, are more hollering than singing. However, although I enjoy this, I have to admit it’s derivative (as Anthony points out, it’s even derivative of FF themselves).

BRAHMS 13
1. A DAY IN THE LIFE. What needs to be added? It’s the Beatles’ most masterful collaboration. Looking forward to hearing the remastered Sgt. Pepper so I can really hear the piano stools squeak. I’m also curious to see what the E-Z Star All-Stars did with it on their dub remake.
2. FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK. Simultaneously one of the funniest, most poignant and harshest duets ever. By the way, the Pogues are to the Dropkick Murphys as the Beastie Boys are to Limp Bizkit. Discuss.
3. KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG. A real example of spinning gold from dross. One of these days I’ll really have to sit down and listen to the Fugees album.
4. ALL RIGHT NOW. To repeat myself: sixties music is great, but it’s top-heavy, and too many of its lesser lights get waaay more credit than they deserve.

Can I back that up? Well, here are Acclaimed Music’s #122-ranked artists for the last five decades:

60s: Free
70s: Richard Hell & the Voidoids
80s: 808 State
90s: Crowded House
00s: D’Angelo

This is a Rorschach test, and I’ll leave you to ponder it. For me, Free is an easy #5 among these artists. And their song an easy #4 in this bracket.

SIBELIUS 15
1. BLITZKRIEG BOP. The song that hit the reset button. Or so I like to pretend, anyway. I don’t even think it’s the Ramones’ best, but it’s irresistible. Oddly, it sounds a little bit proto-industrial to me, now. And why is it pronounced “blitz-krig-bip”?
2. KICK OUT THE JAMS. It’s very, very tempting to pick this for the top spot—it’s a great song, and the Ramones as we know them wouldn’t have existed without it. It’s just an iota less enjoyable than “Bop,” though.
3. DOWNTOWN. Of all this week’s songs, this is the one most likely to become an earworm at any particular time. That has to be worth something.
4. THE BOXER. At their considerable best, S&G march straight up to a line past which they would be trying too hard. Here, they plow right on by.

BEETHOVEN 14
1. VOODOO CHILD (SLIGHT RETURN). In which Jimi invents My Bloody Valentine.
2. GOING UNDERGROUND. Well, I can’t pick the Jam first every time. I’m still not sure of about 80% of the lyrics, but I chant along every time.
3. BABY LOVE. Diana’s singing here is as close as the human voice can get to the sound of pure pleasure. Well, in music, anyway.
4. JAMMING. The sound of Bob phoning it in.

RACHMANINOFF 14
1. RING OF FIRE. Someday I’m going to put together a playlist of very cryptic songs that use circle imagery—Journey’s “Wheel in the Sky,” R.E.M.’s “Perfect Circle,” Blur’s “Globe Alone”…and this would have to start it off. The trumpety goodness puts this one over the top.
2. INSTANT KARMA. In which John invents David Bowie in the verses and channels Screamin’ Jay Hawkins in the chorus. Without exception, Lennon’s greatest song as a solo artist.
3. THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN. A truly great song, only #3 here because unlike the top two, most of the Band falls into the “I have to be in the mood for it” category.
4. HOT STUFF. …aaaand we’re done with Donna for the first round. I think.

netjade
Matt Schroeder
Harold Wexler

just add some Moonbeam powder to this, and sum bell-z-well.. I'd never stop dancing anyway.. again... me fraids

NJ, I love being an adjective!

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1: "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
2: "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]
3: "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]
4: "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]

Ziggy Stardust easily wins here, Livin On a Prayer is about the only Bon Jovi song I can stand... and I can't stand Joy Division.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8

1: "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie
Wonder [1966]
2: "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]
3: "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]
4: "Temptation" - New Order [1982]

Stevie's third best song IMO after Livin For the City and Sir Duke. Love the Billy Joel song as well, one of my favorites of his as sappy as it is. The other two are ok.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10

1: "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]
2: "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
3: "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]
4: "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]

I'm going to go chalk on this only because I'm not a huge fan of any them and I don't like any more than the other.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13

1: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
2: "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]
3: "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
4: "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]

Not a hard choice her since the other song aren't that great even though it isn't even close to the Beatles best.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13

1: "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]
2: "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]
3: "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
4: "All Right Now" - Free [1970]

Blowout. Love the Fugees song but this isn't close. I like a lot of the Pogues but Fairytale of NY has never done it for me.

1: "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]
2: "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]
3: "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
4: "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]

Good bracket, everything here is great. But, when Petula Clark's hits are some of the tops of all time. The Boxer is very close and would have won 90 percent of the brackets but Downtown is just a fantastic song... not her best, that's Don't Sleep In the Subway.

1: "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
2: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]
3: "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]
4: "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]

Baby Love is another runaway. One of the Supremes gems.

1: "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
2: "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
3: "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979]
4: "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]

Weak bracket, but Ring of Fire is easily the best here.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
Definates the title perfectly. Maybe the best song by Joy Division. Although the awful singing by Ian Curtis is part of the atmosphere I've also heard this song by singer who could sing and it sounded perfect as well.
2. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
3. "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]
4. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
Would the music by LCD Soundsystem be that good if New Order hadn't released this magnificant song. It seems that perfect pop song can last also seven minutes.
2. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]
3. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]
The credit Bloc Party got from their debut was well-earned. Not the best song from that album but much better than anything they have done after that.
2. "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
3. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]
Favourite Pet Shop Boys song. The band has influenced in so many electro pop bands of 00's that it should be more acclaimed.
2. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
3. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]
4. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
After solid entirety of pop album The Beatles offer an encore which is better than any of the songs in the set (in the album). Masterpiece.
2. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
3. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]

Very hard to pick the best. Kick out the Jams could easily be the first in this bracket in another day. The Boxer just sounded best today.
2. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
3. "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]
4. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]

It's so physical...
3. "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
4. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 14 Actually I don't care much any of these songs.
1. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
This weeks sixth worst song.
2. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
3. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1 - "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [1980]
2 - "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie [1972]
3 - "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi [1986]
4 - "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford [1951]
'Atmosphere' is without doubt one of the greatest songs ever recorded. When I'm particularly depressed,it's the ONLY song ever recorded. 'Ziggy' is decent,but only my 3rd or 4th favourite on the album. The appeal of 'Livin' On A Prayer' has faded over time,now I'll usually skip it. Pre rock n'roll stuff - meh.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1 - "Temptation" - New Order [1982]
2 - "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder [1966]
3 - "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1975]
4 - "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1977]
'Temptation' was definitely one of the more exciting discoveries in my musical development. Pure joy and great lyrics. A little puzzled by it's poor showing here - maybe it's the version. I find the original 7" and 12" versions somewhat underwhelming compared to the '87 version I'm used to off Substance. 'Uptight' is easily the best Stevie Wonder song pre-'72,fantastic for a 16 year old. Depends on the version of 'No Woman No Cry' - the original album version is fairly weak,but the live version is decent. Cheesy song at #4.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
2 - "Banquet" - Bloc Party [2005]
3 - "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood [1984]
4 - "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead [1980]
Not a huge fan of any of these,Aretha's singing gets her home. The only one of the four I really listen to.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1 - "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys [1990]
2 - "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells [1968]
3 - "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand [2005]
4 - "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles [1964]
Hadn't heard this Pet Shop Boys song before,but liked it better than anything else. Another reminder that I should get some of their albums,all of which seem to be reasonably acclaimed. Other songs are OK,but nothing to get too excited about.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1 - "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles [1967]
2 - "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues [1988]
3 - "All Right Now" - Free [1970]
4 - "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees [1996]
Guess the Beatles win this fairly easily with their greatest song. I do think it's a tad overrated,but still,it never fails to impress. Easily the greatest christmas song ever by the Pogues,great good-time anthem from Free. Fugees song is decent as well,but it's a cover which doesn't add much to the original so loses a lot of points.

1 - "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel [1970]
2 - "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 [1969]
3 - "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones [1976]
4 - "Downtown" - Petula Clark [1964]
All 4 songs are quality,but the Simon & Garfunkel track is clearly the best written. One of their all time best songs.

1 - "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [1968]
2 - "Going Underground" - The Jam [1980]
3 - "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1977]
4 - "Baby Love" - The Supremes [1964]
Very close between Hendrix and The Jam,clearly the best 2 songs here. Listen to 'Going Underground' a lot more,but that guitar still sounds so fantastic on 'Voodoo Chile' after more than 40 years. Other 2 songs are OK,but not in the same class as top 2.

1 - "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash [1963]
2 - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band [1969]
3 - "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon [1970]
4 - "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer [1979]
3 Really good songs and a dud. Donna Summer's stuff is normally pretty good,but I think this one is lame. Most of my favourite Cash songs now are probably from his American albums,but 'Ring Of Fire' is a classic,easily his best from his earlier years. Great songs from The Band and Lennon too,would have won plenty of other brackets.

Voting for this round is over. Results will be posted as soon as I get everything tallied.

damn it. I never learn when the games here finish. I have my list ready to copy and paste.

RESULTS

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Ziggy Stardust" - David Bowie (52 points, 7 first-place votes)
2. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (48, 9)
3. "How High the Moon" - Les Paul & Mary Ford (31, 0)
4. "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi (29, 0)

David Bowie shows his dominance on this board by becoming the first artist to put four songs into the second round. "Atmosphere" put up a valiant fight (and even got the most first-place votes), but ultimately falls short. Bon Jovi, Les Paul, and Mary Ford are all done for Bracketology, but Joy Division still has three chances for victory.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (54, 7)
2. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (52, 7)
3. "Temptation" - New Order (41, 3)
4. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (23, 0)

I fully expected Bob Marley to cruise into the second round with this song, but the damnedest thing happened: Stevie Wonder managed to squeak this one out. "Uptight" moves into the second round to face... another Stevie Wonder song: "Living for the City" (as well as two yet-unknown songs). New Order still has five chances to advance, and Bob Marley has four, but Billy Joel is out.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "Chain of Fools" - Aretha Franklin (53, 7)
2. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (50, 6)
3. "Banquet" - Bloc Party (38, 2)
4. "Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes to Hollywood (29, 2)

In the second straight upset of the week, Aretha Franklin ekes out Motörhead and moves into the second round. This one was close all week, with "Ace of Spades" battling with "Chain of Fools" all week, but the Queen of Soul ultimately reigned supreme. Frankie Goes to Hollywood still has one more chance to move on, but Motörhead and Bloc Party are done.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - The Beatles (53, 8)
2. "Being Boring" - Pet Shop Boys (48, 6)
3. "Tighten Up" - Archie Bell & the Drells (38, 2)
4. "Do You Want To" - Franz Ferdinand (31, 1)

The Beatles become the first artist to put five songs into the second round, as "I Want to Hold Your Hand" advances to face "Ziggy Stardust." The Beatles held a comfortable lead for most of the week, but some late love for the Pet Shop Boys made the final score much closer.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (60, 14)
2. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" - The Fugees (41, 2)
3. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues (39, 1)
4. "All Right Now" - Free (30, 0)

In the second-biggest upset of the week, the Beatles become the second artist to put four songs into the second round. The Fugees took a very early lead in this one, but the Fab Four ultimately had too much. "A Day in the Life" will take on Donna Summer's "I Feel Love," Gorillaz's "Clint Eastwood" and another as-yet undetermined song. Free and the Pogues are done.

1. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (53, 10)
2. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones (44, 4)
3. "Kick Out the Jams" - MC5 (35, 1)
4. "Downtown" - Petula Clark (28, 1)

In the week's biggest upset, "The Boxer" knocks out its opponents and moves into the second round to face Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son." The Ramones still have two more songs in Bracketology, but MC5 and Petula Clark have been eliminated after one bracket.

1. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (66, 15)
2. "Going Underground" - The Jam (40, 0)
3. "Baby Love" - The Supremes (34, 2)
4. "Jamming" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (30, 0)

Jimi Hendrix now has two songs advancing, as "Voodoo Child" joins "All Along the Watchtower" in the second round. The Jam continue their streak of futility, as they are now oh-for-five in the first round. Bob Marley goes oh-for-two this week, but he still has three chances to advance. The Supremes still have four songs remaining.

1. "Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash (51, 7)
2. "Instant Karma!" - John Lennon (47, 4)
3. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band (46, 5)
4. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (26, 1)

This bracket went back and forth all week between Cash, Lennon, and the Band. At one point, the three songs were separated by only one point. Over the course of the last two days, the Man in Black finally managed to put this one in the bag, and "Ring of Fire" advances into the second round. Lennon is now one-for-three with one song remaining in the first round, but the Band only has one chance left to advance.

Rune, the brackets always end at midnight on Saturdays (my local time), which I believe works out to 8:00 AM forum time. Sorry.

STATISTICS

TOP TEN BEST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per vote)
2. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
3. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
4. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
5. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667)
6. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
7. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)
8. "Living for the City" - Stevie Wonder (3.588)
9. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
9. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie

TOP TEN WORST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
2. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
3. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
4. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
5. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
6. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529)
7. "Up on the Roof" - The Drifters (1.55)
8. "Hounds of Love" - The Futureheads (1.556)
9. "Yeah!" - Usher (Featuring Ludacris & Lil' Jon) (1.611)
10. "Acid Trax" - Phuture (1.619)

TOP TEN WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
6. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
7. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
8. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
9. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (2.857)
10. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds (2.9)

TOP TEN BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
2. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
3. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0)
5. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
6. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
7. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
7. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
7. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie
10. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)

TEN LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (ranked #824)
2. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
3. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
4. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
5. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
6. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
7. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
8. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (#595)
9. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (#449)
10. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (#438)

TEN HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
2. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
3. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
4. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
5. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
6. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)
7. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye (#138)
8. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones (#145)
9. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (#149)
10. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue (#176)

MORE STATISTICS

WHO GOT THE MOST CORRECT WINNERS THIS WEEK?
1. nicolas (7 out of 8 - 87.5%)
2. Alex D (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
2. Harold Wexler (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
2. John (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
5. BillAdama (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
5. brose (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
5. Lanka (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
5. Midaso (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
5. SR (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
10. Anthony (3 out of 6 - 50%) tie
10. Matt Schroeder (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. Nassim (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. schleuse (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. sonofsamiam (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
15. Greg (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
15. pop elton (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
17. Moonbeam (1 out of 8 - 12.5%)

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Jackson (7 out of 8 - 87.5%)
2. Michael (12 out of 15 - 80%)
3. Honorio (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
3. Mindrocker (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
5. Alex D (32 out of 47 - 68.09%)
6. Harold Wexler (43 out of 64 - 67.19%) tie
6. Midaso (43 out of 64 - 67.19%) tie
8. SR (37 out of 56 - 66.07%)
9. brose (41 out of 64 - 64.06%) tie
9. nicolas (41 out of 64 - 64.06%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY NUMBER CORRECT)
1. Harold Wexler (43) tie
1. Midaso (43) tie
3. brose (41) tie
3. nicolas (41) tie
5. Matt Schroeder (39)
6. BillAdama (38)
7. SR (37)
8. sonofsamiam (36)
9. schleuse (34)
10. John (33)

Matt Schroeder

17. Moonbeam (1 out of 8 - 12.5%)

I had meant to vote this week (I even typed up comments for half the brackets), but forgot the voting ended this early each week. I had "Ace of Spades" first and "Chain of Fools" fourth, so those two would have tied if I had gotten my vote in.

Excuse the language but FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I knew Temptation,one of the greatest songs of all time,was going to go down(to much weaker stuff). But 'Atmosphere' - that's ridiculous. I don't know how many more of my favourites I can stand going down to stuff not even in the same league. The Beatles advancing with one of their worst ever songs adds salt to the wounds...