Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taking 'Stock

Did we really just almost go a full 3 days without anyone mentioning the 40th anniversary of Woodstock? It's the single greatest moment in rock history, for cryin' out loud. All this punk, post-punk, alternative shit be damned, Woodstock is what rock music is all about, showing that it's not just a bunch of noise, but it can positively influence the world.

Re: Taking 'Stock

Woodstock was much more of a cultural event than a musical one. I've listened to all of the big acts' sets from Woodstock, and musically, I think the only one that has real significance is Jimi's.

Don't forget about Sha Na Na.

Monterey Pop was much more musically significant but that's not knocking Woodstock. It's true that Woodstock was about the culture of the 60's rather than the music of the 60's... You watch the doc to admire the event not the music... but the music is still good!

I watched Woodstock documentary (director's cut 215 min) on saturday.
The interviews and other non-music parts were more interesting than the gigs. Though Jimi Henrix was incredibly amazing.

I brought the triple LP back out on Sunday, and listened to the first three sides. Will do the rest tonight, I think. Jimi aside, isn't it correct to say that the performances of Santana and Cocker were pretty career-defining? But the 2-songs-per-artist concept is a bit irritating; would be nice to have more complete sets to listen to.

I listened to the original soundtrack album over the weekend too, and what really impressed me was how the album, like the movie (but it's even more striking in a purely aural context), does such a great job of capturing not just the music but the whole atmosphere and vibe of the entire three-day festival -experience-, from all those great stage announcements ("Elliott from Harvard: the hitch-hikers you picked up need to get the pills they left in your car") to the Sunday benediction from Max Yasgur himself (side note: when I first listened to the album, the biggest surprise for me was finally discovering where the "I'm a farmer" sample on PAUL'S BOUTIQUE came from).

Some of the musical choices on the album are a little questionable (I don't know that we needed 8 minutes of the Butterfield Blues Band's "Love March," especially considering that we only get the coda of "We're Not Gonna Take It"), but the whole thing is suffused with such good feeling that it's hard to quibble.