The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 4

BRACKETOLOGY: ROUND 1, WEEK 4

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 1
1950s: 1
1960s: 7
1970s: 10
1980s: 6
1990s: 2
2000s: 5

Also of note:
Two songs by Marvin Gaye
The first jazz song of Bracketology
A bracket with two songs from this decade

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
#7: "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]
#506: "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
#519: "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]
#1018: "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
#132: "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]
#381: "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
#644: "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]
#893: "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
#178: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]
#335: "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
#690: "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
#847: "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 16
#112: "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
#401: "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]
#624: "Our House" - Madness [1982]
#913: "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 11
#176: "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
#337: "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
#688: "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]
#849: "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
#31: "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]
#482: "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]
#543: "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]
#994: "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
#268: "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
#757: "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
#780: "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
#121: "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]
#392: "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
#633: "Atlas" - Battles [2007]
#904: "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 4

Okay, I know right now that I got a little long-winded in parts. Mea culpa.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]
I know that this is the obvious choice here; this is a classic track by Otis. I don't know how many times I've heard it, but for me at least, it's not a "great" song. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good song; it's just not "great". Still, it's up against some fairly lightweight stuff here.
2. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]
The best of the rest, by far. I actually like this one a hell of a lot more than "Love Train," but it's just not as good as Otis.
3. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
Oh man, I don't know how many people misheard the lyrics "push it." I've heard people say that it's "pussy" and some people say that it's "bullshit." Great club track, but when you really get down to it, it's not a heavy-hitting track.
4. "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]
I feel bad, because I generally have a fair amount of love for electronic dance songs like this, but I just can't get into this one. Still, I love the opening line of "This is cocaine speaking. I can make you do anything for me."

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]
Alright, all you Radiohead fans. I know that you (and the band) have completely disowned this song because of how "artsy" the band has been since "Pablo Honey." That's a given. But if this was done by ANY other band from the early- to mid-'90s (think Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc.), you would be falling all over yourselves to praise this song. TRY TO REMEMBER JUST HOW GREAT THIS SONG WAS WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. It's still that same great song. Don't let Radiohead's (admittedly) great later work cloud your judgment!
2. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
I grew up listening to the 10,000 Maniacs cover of this song (done at an MTV Unplugged concert). So it's taken me a while to love the original, as I first heard it only a couple of years ago. But I'm finally at the point where I think the original is superior. Oh, and because I know other people are going to mention it, and I want to be the first to do so, Bruce Springsteen.
3. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]
I'm sure that Black Sabbath will end up beating this song out, but I'm just not a Sabbath fan. I grew up listening to a steady diet of soft rock and AM pop, so I know this song quite well. It's surprisingly dark and moody.
4. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]
By process of elimination. It's not that I dislike this song, I just don't really like it. Sorry Sabbath fans.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]
You have no idea I wish I could put "'Round Midnight" here in the top spot, but I just adore "Wichita Lineman" too much. First time I ever heard it was in the (underrated) documentary "Tarnation" and was blown away by two things: how well the song fit with the movie, and how achingly beautiful the song is. This is the only country song that I truly love. Go Glen go!
2. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
If this isn't the most important composition in jazz music, it's definitely in the top 5. It has influenced countless jazz musicians and has been covered by all the greats. Yet the first thing that comes to my mind is Dave Chappelle sitting down at a thrift store piano in the movie "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" and plinking out "'Round Midnight" while ?uestlove urges him on.
3. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
Not great, but it's sure catchy, and that's what the Lips are all about: catchy music.
4. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
I just can't seem to get into the Replacements. Besides, the other three songs are just better.

1. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
You can't seem to have a Vietnam War movie that doesn't have this song. Overplayed? Yes. But for some reason, I always end up listening to it when it comes up. Too damn good.
2. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison
Is it "We were borne before the wind" or "We were born before the wind"? Is it "Also younger than the sun" or "Also younger than the son"? Who cares? It's a beautiful song, and the best part of the album (title track be damned).
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]
After two legendary songs, the last two end up being a real let-down. This is pleasant and very pretty, but it's just not that interesting.
4. "Our House" - Madness [1982]
Stupid, stupid, stupid. There was good new wave and there was bad new wave. "Our House" is not the good new wave.

1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
Real oddity here. It's basically three separate songs patched together, and it's hardly seamless. But like with "Fortunate Son," I always end up listening to it when it comes up.
2. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
I remember watching Kylie on SNL performing this song when suddenly the camera showed 62-year-old host Ian McKellen in the background bopping and dancing along. Hilarious. This song should have been called "Can't Get This Song Out of My Head." It's that catchy. But ultimately, this gets bonus points for that white wrap/dress that Kylie was wearing in the video. Wow.
3. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]
There was a big debate back at my radio station over just how to pronounce this band's name. Finally it was agreed to just say "a percussive sound" three times, like tch-tch-tch or chk-chk-chk. I'll leave it up to you on how you prefer to pronounce it... As for the song, it's oddly catchy and danceable. Give me a few more listens and this might outpace Kylie. But for now it only gets two points.
4. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]
I liked Lou better when he was with the Velvets.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]
It's not that I necessarily love this song, but I really could care less about the other three songs here. Byrds get my four points.
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
I won't dare speculate as to where Moonbeam will be placing this one, but I've got a guess... For me, this one is just the strongest of the remaining three.
3. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]
I've only heard one Roxy Music song that I like. This isn't it.
4. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]
Big and brassy, like a drunk fat chick, and about as appealing. If I never heard this one again, my life would still be complete.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
One of the most incredible hip-hop songs of the last decade. Has it really been nine years since "Stankonia" came out? Man, how the time flies. This song will be a classic forever. (Forever-ever?)
2. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
Boy, if there was ever a song that has been a victim of overplaying, it's this one. It's almost at the point where the song is a cliché. Whenever there's a "funny" sex scene in a movie, you can be sure that you'll be hearing this song. Hell, I remember hearing it in an IMAX movie about the human body. This song deserves a better fate than that.
3. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
I can't say I really like this song, but it gets two points instead of one because it isn't...
4. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]
If there was ever a period of time that I wish I could erase from my memory, it's the late '90s, when boy bands roamed the earth. You couldn't escape this song when it was popular, no matter how hard you tried. And believe me, I tried.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
This is undoubtedly the hardest bracket for me of the entire round of 1,024. I adore all four songs in this bracket, and it's just a matter of choosing which one I adore the most. My choice for #1 has to be Chapman. Of the 1,024 songs in Bracketology, this one is far and away my favorite (and my #2 song of all time after Elton John's "Tiny Dancer").
This song is absolutely perfect. I beg of you: listen to the lyrics. The music might make it sound as though this is just a beautiful ballad, but the lyrics paint a much darker, much more depressing picture. For the uninitiated: it's the story of a girl who tries to escape a dead-end life only to grow old and realize that she will never be able to do so. THIS is the message about America that no one wants to verbalize: there is virtually no chance for the lower classes to make it to the top. Horatio Alger might have made some nice stories, but the fact of the matter is that rags-to-riches stories are about as rare as they come.
Chapman managed to create a perfect pop song with devastating social commentary. That's something that only the greats manage to do. This is a flawless song.
2. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]
To all of you out there who champion experimental music and have not listened to Battles yet, do yourself a favor and turn on this song. The first time I bothered to listen to it, I was left speechless and I had to listen to it again. And again. It's THAT good.
3. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
This is definitely a song that works better in the context of the album, but it still makes for one hell of a listen on its own. Just how many mainstream artists were making environmentalist anthems in 1971?
4. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]
I think this will be the one that ends up taking this bracket, which is a huge bummer for me, not only because it will mean that Chapman will be out, but because I truly believe it to be a little overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song. But I'm of the belief that "Baba O'Riley" is better. The synth part in this is good, but goes on just a shade longer than I would prefer, especially in the bridge. Don't misunderstand me: I adore all four songs here (and they're all five-star songs in my book). I just happen to like the other three a little bit more than this one.

Sibelius 11 is brutal! I absolutely adore 3 of the songs and hate the other. A lot of interesting matchups this week, I'll get to listening and hopefully voting tomorrow!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1: "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]
2: "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]
3: "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
4: "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1: "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]
2: "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
3: "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]
4: "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1: "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
2: "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
3: "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
4: "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]

1: "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
2: "Our House" - Madness [1982]
3: "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]
4: "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]

1: "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]
2: "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
3: "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
4: "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1: "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]
2: "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]
3: "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
4: "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1: "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
2: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
3: "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
4: "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
2: "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]
3: "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
4: "Atlas" - Battles [2007]

lagire, I'm sorry to say this, but unless you post some comments for your ballot, I can't accept your votes. Rules are rules.

Moonbeam
Sibelius 11 is brutal! I absolutely adore 3 of the songs and hate the other. A lot of interesting matchups this week, I'll get to listening and hopefully voting tomorrow!

Which is unforunate because I bet anything that the brilliant Happiness is a Warm Gun takes the bracket.

HAYDN
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - god, a truly devastating song, in which redding finds the perfect visual to capture his character's bad luck, loneliness and resignation. powerful shit
2. "Back Stabbers"
3. "Push It (Remix)"
4. "Acid Trax"

CHOPIN
1. "Iron Man" - yes, one of the rock's classic beavis & butthead hooks, but have we talked about ozzy as a lyricist? iron man's good fun but tell me war pigs (how is that song nowhere on the list???) isn't as relevant now as it was then as the military-industrial complex continues to puppet...oh sorry folks, wrong meeting...that's the one we're having tomorrow at the docks (b.h.)
2. "Because the Night"
3. "You're No Good"
4. "Creep"

LISZT
1. "Wichita Lineman" - in one line (and i need you more than want you) you realize you're not just listening to a blue collar narrative but a somehow heartbreaking (but why?) love song. a true classic
2. "I Will Dare"
3. "Do You Realize??"
4. "'Round Midnight"

SIBELIUS
1. "Into the Mystic" - this set the tone for a career of grappling with spirituality through soul music. iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii want to rock your gypsy soul! those some serious pipes there son
2. "Fortunate Son"
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?"
4. "Our House"

SIBELIUS
1. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - great dance pop track. plus: total boner
2. "Perfect Day"
3. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)"
4. "Happiness is a Warm Gun"

BACH
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - still dylan's best interpreters, they could, as here, infuse dylan's lyrics with an entirely different kind of psych pop poetry
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend"
3. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)"
4. "Love is the Drug"

VERDI
1. "Ms. Jackson" - probably the best illustration of the difference b/w dre and big boi's flows. unforgettable vocal hook
2. "I Want It That Way"
3. "Itchycoo Park"
4. "Let's Get It On"

MAHLER
1. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - this has always been my favorite track on one of my favorite albums. listen to that production! from marvin's calm harmony to that woodblock somewhere waaaay in the distance. perfect
2. "Won't Get Fooled Again"
3. "Fast Car"
4. "Atlas"

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" - Radiohead: The flagship song from Radiohead's first (and renounced) album isn't a slacker anthem so much as just Yorke indulging his sarcastic side. By any standards, this would be a decent song; by Radiohead standards, it's the equivalent of a T.V. pilot -- still part of the show, but awkwardly underdeveloped. [Fwiw, by the time I had my personal Radiohead 'moment', I'm quite sure this song was already on its way to being disowned by fans. And the band... well, they'd most definitely already given up on it.] Ironically, the only decent part of the song is the sound of Jonny Greenwood's attempt at ruining it: the muted 'dead notes' preceding the choruses. (Those blasts of noise are always good for some quick air guitar.)
2. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group: It's the 10,000 Maniacs version that I'm familiar with and quite enjoy. So I'm awarding the three points on that basis.
3. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt
4. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath: Despite the unmistakable (and unfortunately unforgettable) riff, I needed to reacquaint myself with this song, and the first youtube video that I picked was a live version from 1970, featuring a nearly unrecognizable 21 year-old Ozzy. I forgot how intense this song is (which led me to wonder how offensive it must've sounded at the time), but it's still not something I'd feel a need to have in my collection.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell: I'm not a religious guy at all, but this vote feels like a sort of repentance. The first time around, I just didn't hear what made this song special, but I've since made a complete 180 on this a marvelous song. (I'm reminded of Lester Burnham's line in American Beauty: "it's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.")
2. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk: To call this piece of jazz 'enduring' would be an understatement. It's in a league of its own.
3. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips: It was interesting when I first heard it, but now it's kinda boring. The lyrics are the sort of false profundity you'd find in a teenage girl's poetry journal, and the music is pretty unremarkable.
4. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements: Another one I had to youtube. Frankly, the comments were more interesting than the song. Like this one: "That's my guitar! Stolen by a junkie in 1983."

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast: This is the hip-hop song that even non-hip-hop fans like. Its simple, immediate melody is too irresistible for even the biggest haterz.
2. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye: It's a bit too deliberate, but subtlety was never ol' Marv's M.O., was it?
3. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces: It's a recipe that I normally like, but the ingredients are in the wrong proportions.
4. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys: Unlike other songs this week, there was certainly no need to go back and familiarize myself with this one. In 1999, it was was so ubiquitous that you could have your TV turned off, your radio turned off, your windows closed, and somehow you would STILL hear the annoying boy-band harmonies coming from somewhere. The very definition of manufactured, boardroom pop.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman: I agree with Matt on this one -- this is an absolutely amazing song that's as poignantly beautiful as it is utterly devastating. It's about hope ("I wanna ticket to anywhere"), but also harsh reality ("we'll move out of the shelter"), sung and performed with heart-wrenching restraint and simplicity. Unfettered production lets the song breathe -- the simple acoustic guitar motif isn't suffocated by strings or any superfluous instrumentation. If Tracy Chapman existed only to write and record this song, that would be good enough for me.
2. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye: My favorite song from 'What's Going On'; the reverbed percussion and background vocals really elevate this one for me.
3. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who: Nothing really to add here that hasn't been said before.
4. "Atlas" - Battles: Killer groove, but the song is all art and no soul. Sounds like a bunch of kids with way too many musical gadgets at their disposal (and if the video is any indication, I'm correct).

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1

What more can be written about this? I guess I can say it contains the most poignant whistling ever...

The O'Jays are vastly underrated -- people know the singles fairly well, but the first 2 albums stand on their own as greats.

Nice nostalgia, but not even their best song.

Just not my thing.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3

Very, very weak bloc -- actually 1-3 are fairly interchangeable and 4 isn't awful, just nothing mind-blowing.

As a Radiohead fan I did the predictable turning of my back to this, and now I'm doing the just-as predictable about-face. (To a degree.) Time has allowed me to indulge in the simple pleasures manifested by this, which (like "Loser" for Beck) seemed like a really great one-hit wonder at the time. You never really know, do you? Anyway, thank goodness Radiohead didn't go the way of Crash Test Dummies and Primitive Radio Gods.

2. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]

Another one for indulging primal, simple, guilty pleasures, though the oddly jazzy drumming (a hallmark of some earlier Sabbath tracks) gives me something to focus on.

3. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]

A good song, Patti working with the Boss to finally get a hit, but nowhere near as compelling as her best stuff.

4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]

OK but pretty bland '70s Cali-pop.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7

Amazing bracket, this one.

A perfect evocation of isolation and desperate longing -- the "I need you more than want you/And I want you for all time" couplet is so simple yet so devastatingly perfect. One of the greatest songs ever.

Would win most brackets for me. It's stunning how fresh Monk's early work still sounds.

3. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]

This would've won Chopin, Bach, and Mahler, and would've given Verdi a run, too. Ah well. Anyway, this is probably the Replacements' very best pop moment, a great catchy jangle that improves with repeated listens.

4. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]

This one wore out its welcome pretty quickly, though it still has a lot of the great Lips hallmarks, just with all the edges worn away. They've got loads better.

1. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]

It is absolutely shocking that this was Sandy Denny's first crack at writing, a folk-rock standard that is still beautiful and fresh.

2. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]

This, one of Van's very best, was very close to winning the bracket. Very nice use of the literal (the Mystic river) while evoking the magical.

3. "Our House" - Madness [1982]

People will be hard on this, but it's really a remarkably fun single that's stuck in a very tough bracket. It never failed to make me smile on the radio in 1983, and it still succeeds at that today. Plus, there's a bittersweet undercurrent that makes this more than just a catchy bon-bon.

4. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]

Certainly full of righteous anger and that classic coiled CCR groove, but I'm liable to skip this on the radio these days. Maybe Fogerty was coming off a little TOO righteous on this one?

Sorta sums up the entire aesthetic of the White Album in 3 minutes. I love the twists and turns, and how unhinged Lennon sounds.

2. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]

Beautiful track, the one thing from Transformer that I still want to hear.

3. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]

Really great pop song, in a pretty tough bracket.

4. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]

Good, but never anything I considered great.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13

A very mediocre bracket, this...

1. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]

The gender-bending is pretty cool, and this is yet another example of Prince's mastery of slippery '80s funk, but there are about 7 tracks from Sign I prefer over this. Of course, the guy was so absolutely on top of his game at this point that it still easily wins this bracket.

2. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]

They were very quickly sliding into mediocrity after a streak of 4 great albums, but this is still a fine, subversive single. It just can't hold a candle to about half of their earlier stuff.

3. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]

Jackie's patented energy is there, but this has not dated well.

4. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]

I don't know why, but I'm absolutely sick of this, and I generally like the Byrds a lot. I prefer Dylan's version any day of the week, and I still think the lyrics are sorta bullshit. It's obviously an "important" song and the objective part of me knows it's a deserving classic, but the subjective part of me races for the skip button (or another station).

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2

"B.O.B." is better, but this is still amazing. There should be more sincere apologies that remind me of Prince at the top of the charts, shouldn't there?

Does exactly what it sets out to do, very very well.

Decent psychedelia, though they did better.

Not as awful as others are saying, this was far and away the only tolerable track they had. But the sticky-sweet production ruins it.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4

Pretty tough bracket again, 1-3 was a toss-up, though I'm slightly ambivalent about each of them...

1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]

When I was 13 this was my No. 1 favorite song ever. It's fallen to somewhere around 1500, but on the right day it still gets me, mainly because of the barely-controlled rage of the performance and Keith Moon in general. On other days, Townshend's annoyingly cynical lyrics and Daltrey's over-singing (don't freak out, that one scream is still transcendent) exhaust me.

2. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]

Maybe should've won this, but I prefer the other 2 singles from What's Going On, as this sometimes slides onto the wrong slide of slickness. Still lovely, and with the very best intent.

3. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]

Again, on a certain day and with me in a certain mood this could have won this bracket. This was certainly a breath of fresh air in the morass of bad radio in 1988.

4. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]

On paper, I should LOVE this -- an avant-rock super-group playing mathy structures and with all sorts of surprising noise. But this is mainly style, not enough substance, and has no chance against the others in this bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
#7: "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968] : great song, incredibly cool, great lyrics, great singer... there ain't many songs in all the poll that could top this one
#519: "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972] : should have made it through the 72's poll (probably would if I had listened to it previously... hummm...) Fabulous song, I particularly love the "what they do ?", but the Dock of the bay remains better
#506: "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986] : great fun, but no competition to the top 2 songs
#1018: "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987] : have aged quite well for techno music of that period... the competition is too tough however

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
#644: "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971] : as Greg said, War Pigs should be the song ranked that high. Still, Iron Man still has its own amazing solo, drum performance and funny lyrics (even if a bit meaningless). Hopeless case anyway, given the lack of support for Black Sabbath in the forum ! Just remember the hard time it was to induct them in the HOA!
#132: "Creep" - Radiohead [1993] : emo classic... I don't remember who made the "Beavis and Butthead" dialog about this one on the 90s poll but he was not far from the truth
#893: "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974] : I like how it is sung, but the song itself seems quite average
#381: "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978] : painful FM hit

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
#847: "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984] : easy winner for a weak bracket, I've listened to Let it Be several times after the all time album poll and the 80s poll and still don't get its acclaim. However, I really love that one, really simple but catchy riff, great chorus... I listen to it when it need courage to dare anything (and usually it's not enough... dammit...)
#335: "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947] : I don't know much about jazz, I've tried to dig in this one, sounds OK but I don't get in which way it is better than an average movie soundtrack... however I don't like the next two much more...

My Joker of the week... just listened to the 4 and can not decide a winner nore a loser

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 11 : tough bracket, I like the 4 songs...
#688: "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004] : one of the kind of songs I really like in the 00s are those songs made with real instruments but aimed to the dancefloor... LCD soundsystem remains the best for that, but the Rapture and !!! have their great tunes too, like this one.
#337: "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968] : honestly it is a tie with first place, but I'd like to keep my very low score of #1 vote reaching next round (+ the "toodoodoo toodoodoodoo" made !!! win at the last minute)
#176: "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002] : the title says it all
#849: "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972] : wow, tough 4th place, this song would deserve better... a little too much pathos however, I'd rather vote for the funny ones this time

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
#543: "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958] : discovering this one was lot of fun, I don't think it will stand the test of time but right now it just feels great listening to it
#994: "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987] : one of the few Prince songs I really like, sounds like early Andre3000... but some songs on Speakerboxx are way better

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000] : by a short advance the best song of the week. Matt and Greg summed up the idea I think. One of my top 100 songs... but wait 'till we reach B.O.B.
#268: "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973] : damn... I would like to put it on a lowest rank to help Outkast reach next round, but my honesty forbid it... one of the sexiest song ever
#757: "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968] : like a Kinks song but sung by the arrogant voice of Rod Stewart... pretty interesting
#780: "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999] : would not stand the competition, even if it sucked less

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
#121: "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971] : are we still gonna be banned of the forum if our main comment on this one is "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" (I was the case at the end of last bracketology...). THAT is rock'n'roll anyway
#633: "Atlas" - Battles [2007] : I was really stunned the first time I listened to this one. By the drums first, the voices then, all the rest after... and it stands the test of repeted listenings much better than the rest of the album, maybe thanks to its simplier rythm
#904: "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971] : I sometimes think Marvin Gaye did not have the songs his voice deserved... I really dislike the instrumentation on that one, except maybe the guitar, everything else sounds like elevator music...

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968] - This is really the only Otis song I like. And it's a classic, but I tend to think of him as a one-hit wonder 'cause this one is so much better than the others. I prefer Marv.
2. "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987] - One thing I lov about this game is all the '80s house I'm discovering. This song is insane, you can just lose yourself in it. I'd love to be at a club when this coes on.
3. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972] - A pretty good funk song by a pretty underrated act.
4. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986] - Good only in cellphone commercials.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" - Radiohead [1993] - The first flash of brilliance from the most brilliant band in a long time. Probably the most convincing joke song ever. And still nobody guessed what was to come...
2. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978] - Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen were firing on all cylinders right around now. Excellent tune.
3. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971] - Another newbie guitarist tune, I've heard far too often. Still a really good song at its core though.
4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974] - I wasn't expecting much but this was a decent tune.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947] - A really great song, maybe the most important jazz piece ever composed. I can never quite wrap my head around it.
2. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968] - Bottom 3 are close, but props to Campbell for giving me a country song I actually like.
3. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984] - Might be the one Replacements song I don't like. I like them when they're powerful, then poppy, not the other way around.
4. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002] - Yeah, good song, but it's a little too much. Chill out with the solar system, Mr. Coyne.

1. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969] - Their best song. Nothing gets a man fired up like using his taxes to fund ill-conceived wars. But it's s great excuse to rock out
2. "Our House" - Madness [1982] - Just a fantastic pop song. They happen once in a while.
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969] - Virtual tie between the bottom two, but I like Sandy Denny's voice better. The singer-songwriter aesthetic is striking an ugly chord with me today.
4. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970] - I'm not a Van man.

1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968] - Gotta give it to John. His wandering suicidal musings are just enrapturing, until you get to the end and you realize it's probably just a big joke. Plus it inspired Paranoid Android, maybe.
2. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002] - Sorry Moonbeam, it's not #1. It's definitely a great pop song though. I would love to just cruise around with the top down in some expensive convertible with this song blaring. (And Kylie in the passenger's seat, of course).
3. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004] - A good song that's just too long. I'm at 6:26 right now and waiting for it to be over, though I've enjoyed it so far.
4. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972] - Well-written, but I think another artist could have done so much more with it.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
#543: "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]

I'm out on this one. All 4 songs are about a 3.5/5 in my book. Gotta say if it were Dylan's Tambourine Man it'd be far and away in 1st.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973] - I had a hard time picking a winner in this one, and I might not have it right. But I listen to this one all the time, and those 4 notes draw me in every time.
2. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000] - Five stars. Talk about a diss track, this one just takes the wedding cake and throws it right in your face.
3. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968] - Right in the middle of the pack. A very pleasant song from a band I've heard about but never listened to.
4. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999] - Garbage, but if you're gonna do a song like that you might as well go whole hog, and they did, and, well, it made it slightly tolerable.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971] - YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Probably too long, and too vague, but it's everything I love about rock. Plus Keith Moon. Keith Moon people!!!
2. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988] - You hear the intro, and you'll never stop listening to it. Soon you'll be singing the words every time it comes on the radio. And it sounds timeless.
3. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971] - Not the best of his songs but still a great one. I'm pretty sure this was my first exposure to his '70s stuff.
4. "Atlas" - Battles [2007] - I remember seeing the video on MTV2, and I remember the song being all gimmick and style, but that glass cage thing they were in was pretty gnarly.

Alex D
BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
I'm out on this one.

Just so I'm sure, does that mean to not count a vote for you for this bracket? Or to count it in the order you gave? I just want to be sure.

Don't count a vote for me on that one. I might add one later in the week, but don't count on it.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
No singer sounds more charismatically soulful than Redding.
I love the contradiction of this song. It seems like such a pleasant groove on the surface, but listen down a layer and it's mysterious and paranoid. The O Jays are great performers, and this is a great song. The only problem is their core sound is kind of samish.
I didn't expect to like this, and I didn't know it was one of those songs that's so canonical you remember it just by virtue of it having been oversampled. They really manage to make such a simple hip hop song sound exciting.
Awesome track for a club. When not in a club, starts out cool but ends up sounding too backgroundy.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
One of the few post-Horses efforts that manages to reclaim the same epic power. FEAR THE PIT HAIR!
The definitive theme song of our collective inferiority anxiety.
A great performance of a very boring song.
Black Sabbath were all about male posturing and related gimmickry. Great guitar solos aren't enough to make the main riff any less grating or the lyrics any less stupid.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
The exact opposite of everything I said for Witchita Lineman. Completely entrancing.
Beautiful song. Spacey, pondery. Everything that made Yoshime a great album. Ringing chord progressions.
Good song. Not the strongest on the album, but a great album.
Boring, pandery, overproduced, cheesy unnecessary string section, voice with absolutely no personality. Hank Hill music.

Unhalfbricking, if you ask me, is the most underrated album of the 60's. A victim of being oriented at a different audience than it's associated with. Folk for people who like rock.
Me: "I don't like Creedence."
(Song starts)
Me: "Oh, this song is Creedence? Good song."
One of those songs that sounds like an entire era of music.
I hadn't heard this song since the 'MTV 500' in 1997. All I remembered was the catchy melody and not the jazzy sax and piano. I had no idea it was actually a good song. Lamentably, it's in a really strong block.
Van Morrison songs work better in the context of albums than as standalones. An integral piece of a great album.

Both of the entendres are awesome. Layers of hot sarcasm, buttered with innuendo.
An average song on a great album.
I've never actually listened to Kylie Minogue before. ...Meh.
Meh^2. I even like Myth Takes. This is effing boring.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
One of the great Dylan covers, though raising the key and singing directly in it kind of dulls the impact.
One of Roxy Music's standout tracks. One of the times I'm not confused by which of an album artist's songs made it on the list.
Prince still sounds good even when he's obviously trying too hard.
Vapid old timey radio pop.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
I don't know why they aren't ranked among bands like the Kinks.
This might be my favorite rap song. Besides the fact it's refreshing to hear a rap song about being responsible, the lyrics are just really well written. "You can plan a picnic but you can't predict the weather."
Not one of Gaye's stronger tunes. Overrated because of it's subject matter.
I have a theory. All the boy bands that arose in the late 90's were God's way of defending Hanson. "Come on, at least they sound like they're actually having fun when they're singing! They play instruments, they don't prance around with chairs! You may not like MMMBop, but they WROTE it! And this crap about them looking like girls? Grow up! Okay, that's it. I'LL SHOW YOU."

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
Song of the week. Theme song of the 2008 election!
Second best song of the week. Fun to play on guitar. Emotionally subtle. A shame it has to be in the same group as Won't Get Fooled Again.
A way better Marvin Gaye song than Let's Get It On.
Not a bad song from one of the more overrated bands of the 00's. Might have fared better in other groups, but this one is just packed. Look ma, I can play with special effects!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" – Wow what a soulful song. Few songs can match the emotion that Otis sang with in this one.
2. "Back Stabbers" – Easily my favourite song by them, but lacks some of the soul from Otis.
3. "Acid Trax" – Good track that is a little too repetitive.
4. "Push It (Remix)" – Decent and one I always thought it was released a few years later.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" – An easy choice in this bracket. I don't think it is their best track, but it has a lot of things to like.
2. "Iron Man" – An unmistakable riff and one of my favourite metal songs. In high school I mostly listened to hard rock. It seemed natural at the time for me to transition to something a little harder, but I have found no metal that is fantastic. This song is in the top range of metal songs, but like most of them lacks something deeper.
3. "Because the Night" –It doesn't seem to reach the heights of her or Bruce's best stuff. As a Bruce fan I may not have any credibility saying this, but it lacks too epic.
4. "You're No Good" – Sounds generic and doesn't appeal to me.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "I Will Dare" – This group has 4 very good songs. I am most familiar with this one and it is the most fun.
2. "Do You Realize??" - Beautiful song that is a little repetitive.
3. "Wichita Lineman" – I am really surprised I like this. The first time hearing this I dismissed it, but on subsequent listens there is a beauty to what he has to say.
4. "'Round Midnight – My jazz knowledge is minimal, but this song is one of the better ones I've heard.

1. "Fortunate Son" – I wonder how much I would love it without the movies.
2. "Our House" – These two are really close. I've heard it so many times and it really has more than the chorus.
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - A really good song that is one of the better female sung folk songs.
4. "Into the Mystic" – A good song on a better album.

1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" – My favourite song off my favourite side off my favourite album by my favourite artist. I am a sucker for multiple part songs and this blends them flawlessly in a shorter time frame than usual which is nice.
2. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" – For all the stuff above this decision was not automatic. Completely addicting.
3. "Perfect Day" - In other brackets it could do much better, but it isn't even the best song on its album.
4. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" – Even with its cool beat your songs has to be twice as good at this length and it isn't.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Love Is the Drug" – One of their better songs. One of the smoothest singers and this is one of his smoothest songs.
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" – Great, but easily inferior to the original.
3. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" – A large gap here with this song just being ok to me. It is interesting though.
4. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" – Great singing, but is not really my thing.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" – As much as I love "Let's Get It On" this was an easy decision. This is exhibit A of why Stankonia is one of the best albums in a long time.
2. "Let's Get It On" – One of the best songs that would have won half the brackets here. Sung brilliantly especially all his little falsetto phrases.
3. "I Want It That Way" - I like this one. It is as slick as you can get, but maybe because of this escapes being disposable. I remember hearing their albums from my younger sisters and this stands heads and shoulders above the rest. I may be overrating this because of its weak sister songs, but at this point I feel it is still good.
4. "Itchycoo Park" – Not as slick or fun. It is a little weird, but is not that interesting.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" – The greatest scream in rock combined with great performances by all 4 members make this fantastic. Does not seem to be as long as it is..
2. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" – One of Marvin's best songs. Another highlight off of“What's Going On”
3. "Atlas" – Great song that made me pick up “LittleBigPlanet'” again which is a blast.
4. "Fast Car" – A very good song that has fantastic singing.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding: I'm on record as not being the biggest fan of this song; its lackadaisicalness comes across as more peeving than charming. But even I can't deny that it's a classic and thusly deserving of the top spot in this bracket.
2. "Acid Trax" - Phuture
3. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays
4. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa

1. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison: It's songs like this that, for me, make Moondance a more enjoyable album than Astral Weeks. Sure, there's more of an immediacy and accessibility to Moondance, but the restraint and space within the songs ('Mystic' being a perfect example) make them much more affective.
2. "Our House" - Madness: Less-than-cerebral '80s pop, but fun nonetheless.
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention
4. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival: I think I figured out where I stand on CCR. The songs that have nothing but major chords, like this one, I can't stand. But when Fogerty throws in a minor chord (eg. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"), I'm a happy camper.

1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles: Nothing else in this bracket even comes close to touching this song. Musically complex as all hell, and lyrically, some of the most interesting imagery that Lennon ever created.
2. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!!
3. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed
4. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue: I'm reserving comments for fear that Moonbeam will hop on the first trans-Pacific flight out of Australia to come lynch me.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds: I prefer "My Back Pages", but I think this was the first Byrds song that I ever heard. And since I still love it to this day, it's #1 here.
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince
2. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music
4. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson

I'm going away for 3 weeks tommorrow so I don't have much time.
After 3 weeks without a computer in sight, i'l be back to you !!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968] : One of my very favourite songs. I love to sing it and head and shoulders above the rest.
3. "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]
4. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]: Great Britpop song, before Radiohead grew wings and took off. Thom Yorke has improved vocally since. Not a very good bracket IMO
2. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
3. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968] I love this song because it is so much of its era. The production is deliciously old-fashioned. Very solid bracket. All 4 songs are good.
3. I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
4.Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 16 : great beacket, especially the first 2 tracks After a back-to back listen, Van takes the lead. The CCR song is not my favourite.
"Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]
"Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
"Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]
"Our House" - Madness [1982]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 11 : 2 good songs, 2 terrible tracks
1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968] : one of the greatest "progression" songs (I mean a song with no repetition of chord structures, no chorus and no verses)

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13 : excellent bracket
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965] 4.5 : great classics, I love the way the first bass notes, the harmony, and of course, the Rickenbaker sound
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987] 4.25
3. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975] 4.25

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000] Incredible flow, funky instrumental : great Outkast song

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4 : to me the best bracket in this round. Even the Battles track is not so bad ah ah
1."Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971] : a rock anthem, with both an outstanding intro AND outro ("meet the new boss")
4. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]

HAYDN 1

1. Otis Redding - Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
- This is really good. It was during some other game on this forum I believe, that I learned to love Otis Redding. While this is poppier than most of his stuff, it is really a gem of a track.

2. The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
- Nothing wrong with this one. The O'Jays is the favorite band of my best friend's girlfriend.

3. Salt-N-Pepa - Push It
- This reminds me of going to children's disco in the early 90s. The girls in my class did incredibly stupid dance moves to this song, and those horrible images has stuck with me ever since. I'd upload those dancemoves in a video on youtube, but I don't want to look like a retard.

4. Acid Trax - Phuture
- I couldn't find this on Spotify, but the title says it all. I was listening to Back Stabbers, and I didn't want to stop that to find this on Youtube. There's no rule that you have to listen to all songs, is there?

CHOPIN 3

1. Black Sabbath - Iron Man
- This is very, very heavy. Fantastic riff, might be one of the best ever written. As a fan of heavy metal music, and have to give kudos to this one.

2. Radiohead - Creep
- This is Radiohead's best song. The guitar is like thunder.

3. Patti Smith - Because the Night
- My girlfriend used to listen to this, before she lost her mind and started listening to Britney Spears and Pussycat Dolls. Isn't that weird? She loved Patti Smith, X-Ray Spex, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Distillers and such. What happened? Is she the same, or did somebody replace her without me noticing? Anyway, I quite like this. It sounds like party music from 6 years ago. Sad to place it only third.

4. Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good
- No no no. I've never understood music like this. This is music for North Americans, they're the only ones who get it.

LISZT 7

1. The Replacements - I Will Dare
- I've never listened much to The Replacements. I first noticed them through They Might Be Giants' song We're the Replacements. I had to check them out, and they were pretty good, but they've been in the back of my mind. This song is good though, and will win this pretty weak group for me. I'll save this somewhere, and listen more to it later.

2. The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??
- The Flaming Lips gave me one of the best experiences I've ever had back in 2003. It all began the day before the festival I was going to started. I was there alone, but I knew several people in the city that I was going to meet later on. But this day I was all alone, so I bought a couple of beers and headed for the camp. To make a long story short, I got harassed by the security guards at the camp from the minute I sat down. They claimed I had made a lot of trouble and noise, and threatened to call the police. I was also attacked for being from northern Norway (there has always been some "racism" towards people from the north in Norway). The next day, when the festival started, I was still angry and sad, and was planning on leaving the town to do something else, but decided to see The Flaming Lips first. And then the sun came out. All was forgotten, and I went from the concert with a smile upon my face. It was the greatest concert I've ever seen. Do I like this song, then? Not so much, actually.

3. Thelonious Monk - Round Midnight
- The kind of music the house band at the fancy restaurant where I take my girlfriend for dinner and a bottle of wine in nice surroundings, plays. Do I get this music? Not at all. But the food is probably spotless.

4. Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- Usually I consider the users of this forum people with great music taste, if somewhat, dare I say it, political correct at times. But here comes Glen Campbell, cheesy country crooner, and he has brought all his cliches, tacky arrangements and half-arsed singing voice with him. And what does he get from us? Endless praising from here to Wichita. Unbelievable.

SIBELIUS 16

1. Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
- Now we're talking. I've recently rediscovered Fairport Convention and what followed them. This song is beautiful, but there are so many good songs made by them, Richard & Linda Thompson, Fotheringay and Sandy Denny solo. Brilliant.

2. Madness - Our House
- I guess this sounded better in the 80s, than it does now. I still find this very enjoyable, though. It makes me want to drink and dance, and that is a very good thing, except for the people who have to watch me dance.

3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
- Creedence is one of those bands I've never understood. This song isn't bad though. It got nice energy, more than anything else I've heard by them. They are very popular in Norway, still.

4. Van Morrison - Into the Mystic
- zZZZZZzz. Huh?

Things I've learned while writing here.. Don't pick your nose after cutting chili peppers. It hurts.

SIBELIUS 11

1. Lou Reed - Perfect Day
- I'm not a solo Lou Reed fan, but this is a beautiful song. It almost makes me cry, because I believe the words he's singing.

2. The Beatles - Happiness is a Warm Gun
- While this for sure is quite exciting, it feels weird listening to John Lennon singing about his penis.

3. !!! - Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard
- I love the Paul Simon song with the almost identical title, but this one I can easily pass. Too bad I can't place it last.

4. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
- This is the plague. The last sigh of the 90s. Kylie's days are long gone. She was good in the mid-90s when she didn't sell any albums, but by the time Can't Get You Out of My Head came out, she was nothing but a nice butt. I've got a nice butt as well. Now give me a record deal.

BACH 13

1. Prince - If I Was Your Girlfriend
- It's hard to write something, good or bad, about a Prince song I don't know very well, when I know that a Prince fanatic will probably read it. But if I could come up with something, it would mostly be praise.

2. Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug
- It's not that this is a bad song, but I can't help but seeing Bryan Ferry with my inner eye. It's like punk music for dandies and gentlemen. But this is a weak group of songs...

3. The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
- It's not my favorite Dylan song, but I prefer him singing it. This version of 'Urine Man is just too bland and boring.

4. Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite
- 50s music can be cool, and I guess this is a fun song to dance to, but I'd never listen to it otherwise. It's prrrrrrrretty bad, in my opinion.

VERDI 2

1. The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park
- This is a beautiful song, so simple, fun and careless, still it blows me away. It makes me want to do things I don't want to do when reality strikes in.

2. OutKast - Ms Jackson
- This was so good when it came out, and it still is, even if I'm a little tired of it. In a world brimful of brainless pop music, this one is a shining gem. Weird how hip hop artists have their biggest hits when their at their poppiest. Maybe they should quit rapping.

3. Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
- Backstreet Boys made better songs than this. Why on earth is this acclaimed? I've never heard anybody, except little girls bubbling over with hormons praise this music. But I guess there could be some big girls among the critics. "Not a single seat was dry".

4. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Horny Marvin is the worst Marvin I can think of.

MAHLER 4

1. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
- The Who is a great band, still. I saw them two years ago, and they were glorious. This is of course one of their evergreens, only slightly ruined by the thought of David Caruso.

2. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
- I like this song. Back in 88 I hated it, but I was only 8 years old then. I used to make my own hitlists, based on a popular radio show for teens, but this song never made the charts.

3. Battles - Atlas
- Nowadays I listen a lot to Paul Simon, which is the exact opposite of this. He's got a pleasant voice and nice melodies you can whistle along with. 10 years ago I'd probably have liked this, but I'm an old man now. This gives me nothing but headache and a secret wish to be 19 again.

4. Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me
- Oh no, not Marvin again. This is better than the last one, but it still sounds like music for people who don't like real music. I can't put my finger on exactly what's wrong with it, that spot is just too big.

HAYDN 1
1. THE DOCK OF THE BAY. You don’t get a whole lot of pop songs (outside of country) on the theme of weary resignation. The best self-penned epitaph song ever.
2. BACK STABBERS. Anticipated Michael Jackson’s paranoia-over-irresistible-funk-groove formula by a full decade.
3. PUSH IT. Very appropriately named song; these ladies are trying too hard. One of the least seductive seduction songs I can think of, it’s redeemed by at least being a hell of a dance track.
4. ACID TRAX. I’m tempted to recycle, for the third or fourth week in a row, my comment about this song being OK but not a standout of its type…I seem to be running into that problem a lot for songs outside the top 500.

CHOPIN 3
1. BECAUSE THE NIGHT. Horses is fine, but this is Ms. Smith’s finest hour. Catchy as hell and borderline anthemic (for Patti anyway), the vocal is unproficient, irreproducible, and one of the most expressive performances in all of the tournament. Great song.
2. CREEP. Really only distinguished itself because of Jonny Greenwood’s trying-to-start-my-lawnmower riff. It’s a good song, though, and is easily in the top half of this bracket.
3. IRON MAN. Dumb fun. Longtime bracketologists will recognize that I mean that as a compliment. If we must have metal sludge, Sabbath is the band to provide it.
4. YOU’RE NO GOOD. Not actually as bad as I remembered. Still, this isn’t the kind of thing that clicks with me.

LISZT 7. This is a truly schizophrenic bracket: two indie bands, an old-fashioned country studio confection, and the signature piece of one of the titans of jazz. I’m really struggling to rank them, because I know that, depending on what day you ask me, three of these could be #1 (“Do You Realize?” wouldn’t—I prefer Soft Bulletin to Yoshimi—so that’s #4). I went with the Mats at the top mostly for nostalgia’s sake, and picked Thelonious over Glen because I sense that Monk is a bit more underrated—most of us music geeks now accept that “Wichita Lineman” is a fantastic slice of cheese. (Well, except BillAdama and Rune.)
1. I WILL DARE
2. ROUND MIDNIGHT
3. WICHITA LINEMAN
4. DO YOU REALIZE?

SIBELIUS 16
1. FORTUNATE SON. How on earth did a good-time party band crank out one of the most pointed protest songs of the late 60s? By tapping their populist roots without having to fake them (Lennon) or exploit them (Springsteen).
2. INTO THE MYSTIC. My favorite Van Morrison song. Feels ethereal and effortless.
3. OUR HOUSE. Madness tamed. Still a good song, but horribly overexposed, and certainly not among their ten best tracks.
4. WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES? Another example of the ballast which makes the late 60s overrepresented on AM.

SIBELIUS 11. Wow. Tough bracket.
1. HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN. The best thing on the White Album…not that it has much competition for the title. John’s method of songwriting, he claimed, was to come up with good bits and then stick them together…this is probably the finest instance of him doing that, and it all works even if, logically, it shouldn’t.
2. PERFECT DAY. Lou in typical, and brilliant, Last Exit to Brooklyn form.
3. ME AND GIULIANI DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD. The bottom two here are both great dance songs…however, a lot of the dance music I like evokes a real sense of time and place, and this fits that bill. Also, one of the all-time great song titles.
4. CAN’T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD. An excellent track, and more than I could have hoped for from someone I had previously known only as the perpetrator of “I Should Be So Lucky.”

BACH 13
1. REET PETITE. Times changed, but on record at least, Jackie always exuded pure joy.
2. LOVE IS THE DRUG. The only reason this doesn’t win the bracket is because the verse/chorus transitions are awkward. Otherwise, prime Roxy Music.
3. IF I WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND. And this is prime Prince. Of my middle two songs here, I think they’re good, typical but not exceptional tracks from the respective artists.
4. MR. TAMBOURINE MAN. Dylan for Dummies.

VERDI 2
1. MS. JACKSON. Still OutKast’s best song, I think. Languorous and propulsive, funny and heartfelt. Perfection.
2. LET’S GET IT ON. My personal favorite Marvin song; would have won most brackets.
3. I WANT IT THAT WAY. Yes, it’s manufactured to within an inch of its life and it’s as empty as a football. What vaults it into the “so bad it’s good” category (well, maybe just “so bad it’s acceptable”) is the completely absurd lyrics. Just what the hell does this song mean? And yet, somehow, it works.
4. ITCHYCOO PARK. Eh, I know the Faces are meant to have been a big influence on Britpop. However, I admit I’m of exactly the wrong age and temperament to appreciate Rod Stewart, even when he was only a mod poser rather than the embarrassment he later became. Can I listen to Pulp instead?

MAHLER 4. Third really strong bracket of the week.
1. FAST CAR. I really did not think I would pick this, but if I’m honest, this moves me more than the other songs here…even if it’s in a different direction. Just a heartbreaking, and heartbreakingly pretty, song, which teeters on the edge of hope and frustration. Tracy was a one-hit wonder, but boy did she prove her chops with her one hit.
2. WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN. The mercurial enfants terribles of 60s British rock drive a stake into that decade’s pie-eyed utopianism with their most monster song. To summarize: Yeah.
3. ATLAS. Why “math rock,” exactly? Terrible genre title for something this infectiously fun (says the guy with the literature degree).
4. MERCY MERCY ME. I guess I docked this a spot or two because I feel the need to stay on-message about What’s Going On, which I think is overrated. Too bad, because this is the best track on the album.

schleuse
1. FAST CAR. I really did not think I would pick this, but if I’m honest, this moves me more than the other songs here…even if it’s in a different direction. Just a heartbreaking, and heartbreakingly pretty, song, which teeters on the edge of hope and frustration. Tracy was a one-hit wonder, but boy did she prove her chops with her one hit.

That's exactly why I picked this song at #1 too: it moves me.

I'm not sure if I'd call Chapman a one-hit wonder though. Does anyone else remember just how massive a hit "Give Me One Reason" was back in '94? Almost doesn't seem it's the same artist, but... yeah.

"Itchycoo Park" was recorded when the band was still The Small Faces, several years before Rod Stewart had anything to do with the group.

4. Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- Usually I consider the users of this forum people with great music taste, if somewhat, dare I say it, political correct at times. But here comes Glen Campbell, cheesy country crooner, and he has brought all his cliches, tacky arrangements and half-arsed singing voice with him. And what does he get from us? Endless praising from here to Wichita. Unbelievable.

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of comments like this...I really try not to pass judgment on people for their taste, so just say you don't like it, OK?

Plus, if the Beach Boys had done this (and there is definite similarity to the Pet Sounds vibe), I'm guessing many slagging it since it's by a country artist would be giving it its proper due.

But hey, just a guess.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1."(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]
This is a simple song about just chilling and wasting a day, and really stands out against the other songs in this bracket. Otis Redding does a great job singing.
2."Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
This is just a dirty sleazy song. It's hard to take this one seriously at all for me. If I ever direct a porno this will play during the anal scene.
3."Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]
If cocaine ever became self-aware and decided to write a song i bet it would sound something like this. I really respect the anti-drug message in this song.
4."Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]
Not a fan of this song at all.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1."Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]
I'll rank this top as I enjoy Sabbath's music. The guitar riff is probably in the top ten most recognizable of all time.
2."Creep" - Radiohead [1993]
This is very different from Radiohead's later material, but I really enjoy this song. Thom Yorke sounds very naturally singing the awkward lyrics, and for some reason I really like the weird guitar noise before the chorus gives the song some charachter.
3."Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
This song is extremely catchy.
4."You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]
I like this song a lot but it just cam out a bit lower than the other songs.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1."Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
This is a really good song. Very pschydelic and reminds me a bit of pink floyd. Simplistic, but very complex with all the layered background noises.
2."Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]
I didn't like this song at first, but I listened to it again and liked it more. It is not completely my style but it has many strong points mainly the somber sounding vocals.
2."I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
Don't have much to say about this, but I simply prefer it to round midnight.
4."'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
I listen to every song in this bracketology, but this one made me want to break the rule. I just can't get into jazz music. This song would sound good in an elevator i guess

1."Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
CCR is one of the best bands of the 60's and they have a lot to say in this song.
2."Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]
3."Our House" - Madness [1982]
4."Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]

1."Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
This is a song that prys it's way into your brain and makes you enjoy it by the virtue of it being so catchy
2."Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
3."Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]
4."Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1."If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
The best of a bad bunch, i can mostly stand this song... mostly.
2."Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]
3."Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]
4."Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1."Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
This song really takes me back to about 7th grade. One of the best hip hop songs imo.
2."Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
3."Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
4."I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1."Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]
A killer song I love Daltry's scream toward the middle
2."Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
3."Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
4."Atlas" - Battles [2007]

sonofsamiam

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of comments like this...I really try not to pass judgment on people for their taste, so just say you don't like it, OK?

Plus, if the Beach Boys had done this (and there is definite similarity to the Pet Sounds vibe), I'm guessing many slagging it since it's by a country artist would be giving it its proper due.

But hey, just a guess.

OK, never mind my former comment. I just don't like it. No, I meant what I wrote. It's not passing judgment on people if you say you don't like a song they like. I really don't understand what's great about Wichita Lineman. To me it's music for grandmothers. However, I did wrote that the users of this forum have great music taste, but you simply ignored that. Great music taste - liking one crap song = still great music taste. Nobody should be offended by that.

And I'm not slagging it because it's sung by a country singer. I like a lot of country singers, from really old Carter Family, through Kitty Wells and Patsy Kensit, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, and up to the alt-country singers of today, like one of my favorite bands The Handsome Family.

Greg
"Itchycoo Park" was recorded when the band was still The Small Faces, several years before Rod Stewart had anything to do with the group.

Yeesh. Thanks, Greg...my bad. I stand by the vote, though.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]: What more can be said about this timeless masterpiece that hasn’t already been said? As I wrote in the previous incarnation of Bracketology, it’s an open question whether this would have been as gigantic a hit if Redding hadn’t died; certainly, it’s one of the most unassumingly low-key recordings ever to hit #1. But that’s a moot point. Short, sharp, and utterly perfect. With whistling!
2. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]: The definition of the Philly Sound, with an extra helping of that nattering paranoia unique to the Nixon years, where ALL your friends were clearly just pretending to like you and waiting for you to leave so they could make time with your lady. What they doin’?!?
3. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]: Thanks, now I’m going to have that synth hook running through my head all day. Good thing it’s a great one. One of the defining old-school hip-hop records.
4. "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]: I had never heard it before. Don’t need to hear it again, either.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]: How can you not rock out on air guitar and throw the devil horns the second this comes on? Subtle and nuanced it ain’t; it’s just effin’ awesome, even if I agree that “War Pigs” is far superior.
2. "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]: I defy anyone to think back to when this song was all over alt-rock radio and honestly say they saw the rest of the band’s career coming – to all appearances, they had “one-hit wonder” written all over them. Except for those Greenwood skronk-splatters and that unexpectedly pensive piano part at the end, this has nothing in common with the rest of their work – but it’s still a dynamite single, and yeah, they should start playing it again.
3. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]: You can definitely hear the co-writer here, maybe more so than Smith herself – the Boss’ own version on LIVE 1975-1985 is nearly identical. She wanted a hit, and she got one. But it still works on her own idiosyncratic terms, and it’s sure as hell more viscerally sensual than anything else Springsteen’s ever had a hand in.
4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]: A terrific cover that deservedly made Ronstadt a superstar, even if nothing else she did ever matched it. Something has to be #4.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]: Campbell is a tool, and Jimmy Webb is an overrated blowhard – but this is one of the most beautiful records ever made. For some reason, everything just comes together in an undeniable way here, capped by That One Line That Everybody Always Quotes. They do it for a reason.
2. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]: Pure excitement and fun. The perfect opener to one of my favorite albums, and a great encapsulation of Westerberg’s unique brand of careening craftsmanship. And one of rock’s greatest uses of the mandolin (played by Peter Buck, of all people) – not as folksy coloring but as just the right rhythmic element to put everything over the top.
3. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]: The Wayne Coyne worldview in a nutshell: a joyous, celebratory song reminding us that we’re all going to die. Not their best song, but it’s easy to see why it’s their most popular.
4. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]: I feel guilty placing this here, but I can’t deny that it would be my last listening pick of these four. Obviously a classic, though, with its smoky noir ambience and those quintessentially Monkian glissandos.

1. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]: One of my favorite songs of all time, the linchpin and highlight of what, for me, is Morrison’s best album. He was just in such an amazing groove at this point – placid and relaxed, yet deeply passionate at the same time. And those foghorn horns come in at just the right time and add just the right touch.
2. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]: It kills me to have to put this at #2. Quite possibly the greatest protest song ever written in America, both because Fogerty’s class rage is so palpable and burning and because the music doesn’t forget to kick serious ass amid the anger.
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]: A seriously beautiful song, immaculately sung and arranged. It might be higher in a different bracket.
4. "Our House" - Madness [1982]: A favorite hit single from my youth, one for which I still feel a great deal of affection. The best part, though, is the intro, with its gradual layering of instruments.

1. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]: As much as I love, love, love #2, my vote goes to one of Reed’s finest achievements, a brilliantly arranged hymn to sharing simple everyday pleasures with the right person that works especially well juxtaposed against the glittering ennui of TRANSFORMER (it’s why Danny Boyle used it to underscore the OD scene in TRAINSPOTTING as well), but is just as magnificent heard on its own. The ending is transcendent.
2. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]: Lennon at his most surreal and discursive – nonsensical and hilarious, yet somehow simultaneously disturbing and a little fearsome. It’s a great -band- performance, too – for all the fissures that were breaking up the Beatles, they sound completely in sync here, especially Ringo (even if his “bip-bip, bip-bom-bom-bip” sounds a little like a parody of itself here).
3. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]: A good dance-pop single that heralded an unexpected and welcome comeback. An easy #3 here, though.
4. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]: If I listened to it a few more times it might be higher; they obviously know what they’re doing, and those “doot-doots” toward the end are fantastic.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]: The Roxy sound at its sleekest, if not slickest (that would come later), a long way from the controlled chaos of the Eno era but still indescribably exciting.
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]: One of the most influential records of the Sixties: just cut out all but one verse of one of Dylan’s most complex songs, add an unforgettable 12-string guitar riff, and voila! An instant #1 hit, and a brand-new genre! And thanks to McGuinn and company’s obvious passion for both the folk and the rock, it came off – and still does – not as some gimmicky novelty but as a perfectly natural hybrid.
3. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]: Without question, the perfect encapsulation of everything that’s gloriously weird about The Purple One. There’s never been a song quite like this – a deeply felt plea that his lover open up to him as if he was her closest female friend instead of her boyfriend. Prince had the clout and the balls to actually get this released as one of the singles from SIGN O’ THE TIMES; needless to say, it cut a little close to the bone to actually be a hit, even if the single edit does cut off before things get -seriously- unsettling (and yet moving) at the end.
4. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]: A fine debut single, but as obvious a #4 pick here as anyone could imagine.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]: One of the greatest and most uncommonly mature hip-hop records ever made – even if Andre’s dazzling rapid-fire wordplay and heartfelt emotion are undercut ever so slightly by Big Boi’s harsher verses. The perfect entry point for appreciating OutKast, and maybe contemporary hip-hop in general.
2. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]: In truth, the band’s biggest hit (here in the U.S., anyway) doesn’t have much in common with the rest of their catalog – they usually weren’t this twee and trippy (the phasing is so over-the-top it must have been hilarious even at the time). But as a relic of the period, it still sounds great.
3. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]: It’s been overused so much, particularly in jokey and ironic contexts, that it’s almost impossible now to appreciate it for what it is – a well-arranged and sung encomium to Topic A that, to me, seems a little overrated.
4. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]: Backstreet hatred was so omnipresent (and deserved, for the most part) at the time that a lot of people went overboard in the other direction when this one turned out to not suck so much. It’s no masterpiece, but it’s a pretty darn good pop single.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]: WHO’S NEXT was the first album I ever bought, and its tracks are among the classic-rock warhorses that I grew up on that I can still listen to all the way through with the same love and excitement I’ve always felt. Even if CSI: MIAMI has tainted it a little; as I’ve written before, The Greatest Scream in Rock History deserves better than to be the weekly punctuation to a smug David Caruso one-liner (“Well, Frank… (first half of line) … [dramatically puts on sunglasses] … (punch line)” – “YEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!”)
2. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]: A brilliantly written and perfectly arranged song that would probably be #1 in most other brackets, and I’m actually kind of rooting for it here, too. Even if this were the only good song Chapman ever wrote, it would be enough. One of the most complex and fluid examinations of the chasm between fantasy and crushing reality ever written.
3. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]: Believe it or not, for all its trendy first-flush-of-Earth-Day topicality this song actually holds up better for me than the title track from WHAT’S GOING ON; it has a nice, effortless groove, and those backing vocals at the end are deliciously weird.
4. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]: See my comments on !!! above, although I enjoy Battles a lot more. I’ll be fascinated to see how far they can take this arty-but-propulsive cut-and-paste style.

You shouldn't judge other people's tastes, but I think it's worth discussing the effect of political correctness on people's tastes, maybe in another thread.

I find I'm offput when a song is too politically correct because I see political correctness as 'superficial tolerance' rather than actual tolerance. But, I'm even more offput when a song goes out of it's way to be politically incorrect, because I see that as superficial protest rather than actual protest.

But I'm more offput by boring genericness than either one, which is why I agree with Rune about Witchita Lineman.

I'm not judging other peoples tastes. I actually gave you credit for having great taste. But I am still baffled by the love for Wichita Lineman.

I'm no fan of Radiohead, but I don't find it strange that you guys love them. It fits in with the other music you love. I'm no fan of Marvin Gaye either, but I find it perfectly logical that most of you like him. But I can't find a natural place for Wichita Lineman. It sounds like nothing else you like.

I know it's hard when someone is saying bad things about stuff you like. Some years ago I had bought a Diamanda Galas album I really liked, and my mother heard it and thought it was Hanne Boel, a Danish soul singer. And at about the same time I drove my sister and some of her friends to a party, and I played In the Aeroplane Over the Sea in the car. My sister laughed at it and said it was hideous, and her friends laughed with her. But they love Robbie Williams, so I don't really take it that hard. I know I'm right.

With you guys it's a little different. You know a lot of music, and that's why I find it so hard to understand why everybody loves a song that is so unchallenging, uncool, slick and polished. If one or two of you loved it it wouldn't be strange at all, but as far as I can see I've only got one person with me. Is there something wrong with us, BillAdama? Are we missing the Glen Campbell-gene?

Good to see that there's some healthy discussion going on! I'm loving all the back-and-forth.

At the beginning of the week, someone asked me if I thought there would be any close brackets, and I thought all eight would be runaways. But I'm pleased to announce that three of this week's brackets are currently quite close. One bracket only has one point separating first and second place! So if you haven't voted yet, be sure to get your ballot in! There's only about 33 hours left to vote this week!

Rune
I'm not judging other peoples tastes. I actually gave you credit for having great taste. But I am still baffled by the love for Wichita Lineman.

As someone who didn't "get" Wichita Lineman at first, I can understand where you're coming from. But as I mentioned in my comments (and once previously on this forum, very enthusiastically I might add), I've come to realize how great of a song it is. And Rune, I wish I could offer some sort of road map to help you get to that place, but I can't, because frankly, I don't even know how I managed to get there.

It's unscientific, but sometimes songs just HIT. You can't explain it.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
I think this song is a little overrated, but far from bad. I do love Otis' voice.
Much better dance music was going on in 1987 than this track. It was among the first to use the rave staple that is the whistle.
Not a bad song, but not quite a good one either. Nice beat though.
It bores me.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
Weak bracket. Watered down Patti Smith still wins handily.
I hate guitar solos, but, again, weak bracket.
. . . obviously.
There's a reason they disowned it. Remove the name 'Radiohead' and it's just another poor attempt at a grunge cash-in.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
The Pavement of the 1980s (loved in America, ignored elsewhere). This track kills. On it, Westerberg proves that he is a more than competent mandolin player and Peter Buck shows why he is the king of the jangly guitar.
Love the production on this one, and Wayne's voice and lyrics of course.
Over-produced? Probably, but Campbell has nice range.
I like jazz, but I don't know why this song is so highly acclaimed.

John Fogerty was the best fake Southerner ever. The voice of the working man in rock before 'the Boss,' here calling the draft on its tendency to pass over the privileged in favor of the poor.
Pleasant new wave single, but i like my Madness with a little more, er, madness?
Sorry, but Van is not my man.
I'm not too keen on 60s folk, so to quote Primal Scream: “Kill all hippies.”

A dance-punk classic. It snarls and struts its bad self to a beat so tight that it threatens to burst at its seams. But, despite its long running time, it never does. One for the ages. Supremely underrated, even at #688 (and these guys have a few other songs that are very nearly as perfect as this one).
Lou does bittersweet better than anyone. Perfectly conjures a moment of revelation or bliss in between bouts of the sickness associated with heroin.
New millennium dance-pop classic. Amazed that this is my number three.
Drags on a bit, doesn't it? And under three minutes?? Not a good sign. . .

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
Wins in another weak bracket. I'll give it props for being kinda trippy and influencing the aforementioned Peter Buck. I might get stoned for saying this, but Shatner's version is far more entertaining (and I don't even like Star Trek).
I never got into this band, but this track is fair. I always like the angular post-punk guitar sound.
This is probably not even in the top 25 Prince songs, but it's still okay.
This one hasn't aged well.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
Great if only for the part where Stewart screams “I got HIGH!”
Say what you want (manufactured, blah, blah, blah), but this is a pretty good example of how to write/produce/perform a pop song.
The Vines version is better. It's probably their only good song. But the chorus is nice.
I hate this song. It pretty much forever placed Gaye's work as background music for making out in the minds of many which distracts from his more socially conscious (read: superior) works (try having a conversation about the man with the average non-music geek to see what I mean). However, this wouldn't be a problem, if this song was actually decent.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
I usually like my Who to be as mod as possible, but this is a late classic from the group a few years after that tepid rock opera ruined them. Notable for the chorus and Roger's scream.
Gaye's true strength was as a producer, as evidenced by his masterpiece What's Going On. This is probably the fourth best song on that exceptional album.
Interesting piece. Would have won some of this week's brackets.
So bland.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972] Sooooo danceable and sweet at the same time!
2. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971] I don’t think there are many songs on AM where the vocals follow the guitar line. It’s simple, but oh so heavy.
2. "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968] I read the somewhat heated discussion and wondered where I would land, as it’s been a while since I listened to this song. I remembered both a lovely melody and some cheese. But the cheese disappeared as soon as I started to listen. This sounds more like chamber pop than country to me (not that country has to be cheesy).
2. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
3. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]

1. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969] Definitely the best CCR song, my favourite anti-war song together with Edwin Starr’s “War”.

1. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002] I have probably said this before, but this song was spinning in my head all days long when I fell in love with my wife. And she’s still there!
3. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987] Difficult choice, but I finally favored my strange relationship with Prince to Roxy’s love bus.
3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973] The ultimate love song. I have always loved it, but I have to admit that it was Jack Black who made me realize that it’s one of the best songs ever.
2. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971] Atlas was the only song that made me turn up the volume during this round. Ridiculously high. But two votes in a row for Marvin make me feel like a better person.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
Oh yeah. The lazy atmosphere. Whistle part. Good song to start saturday.
I'm not sure did I listen to the right remix but I'm still pretty sure that even the acclaimed one wouldn't beat Otis, O'Jays or Phuture.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
Strong group and almost impossible to choose the best.
1. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]
Henrik said it already: there aren't many songs where vocals follow the guitar line. Though, the crucial reason I chose this my #1 was almost ten minutes long live version which I heard today. Much better than album version. I think I should go to some heavy metal concert someday.
I think I heard this first time in 1997 after I got OK Computer (first Radiohead album to me). I've always thought the song is some kind of parody of grunge generation (which it probably isn't). Guitar peal sounds still more than great.
I also love this song. Maybe the best Patti Smith song.
Maybe better than any song in Bach bracket.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
The reason I love this song so much is mystery. It's just one of the best songs of chamber pop history.
Yoshimi is top 10 album of the decade. Do You Realize?? wasn't among the best tracks of the album. A month ago I saw finally the band live. Last song of the gig was this song. The huge balloons, the endless streamer rain and smiling people. That moment the world seemed a better place.

1. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969] I 'Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight' by Richard & Linda Thompson is one of the great new discoveries of the 70's poll. This song is at least as good as the best tracks on that album. I need to listen more to Richard and co.
3. "Our House" - Madness [1982]
I think I've heard this song in some Vietnam war movie.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 11 Good bracket.
1. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004] Louden up Now is one of those albums which I liked a lot when it was released but haven't listen to it at all after 2004. To be honest I didn't remember that this song lasts over nine minutes. I also didn't remember that it's so good.
3. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
4. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
In a way I understand why this is so acclaimed. I still think Kylie has better songs and better (and funnier) music videos.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
Hmm, almost impossible to put in order.
1. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
This sounds almost more a Michael Jackson song than Prince song. Both have numerous better songs.
3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
A classic pop song of 00's. Everything has been said already in this thread. Video is also a classic.
2. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
3. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
Take That was better.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
No question - best track of the week (Glen was second). When I saw the music video (or was it live version) as a child I thought Tracy was a young man (I saw it only ones). But I liked the song in first listen and nowadays I like it even more.
3. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
The synths are good and YEAH shout makes me always smile. Still not a chance against Atlas or Mercy Mercy Mercy.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
Easily the best song in this bracket, a timeless classic.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3

My friend is a purist and he doesn't like this song. He's also full of bull, this song is fantastic and better than at least half the songs on The Bends.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
Jazz standard, a cornerstone of the genre.
3. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]

1. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
I'm not a big CCR fan, but who doesn't love this song? It was in 2 of the 3 vietnam movies we watched in history this year,
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport

Mind-shattering genius. When I heard the riff of the second part, I literally fell out of my seat. This would have topped any bracket this week. There have been days where I've listened to nothing but this song on repeat for an hour.
2. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]
3. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]
4. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
The fact that this is only the 3rd or 4th best OutKast song further argues the point that OutKast is the best rap group since Public Enemy. They will dominate my 00 song list.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET
1. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]
I love this song, one of my T5 for 2007, a very competitive year.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
2. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
3. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]

A good song by Otis but I don't think I've ever listened to it other than on an oldies station. Maybe the weakest bracket so far.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3

Three really good songs where I have to be in the mood for the singers voice!

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7

1. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]

I Will Dare has one of the coolest melodies ever, just one great song on a great album. I like Do You Realize, the other two not so much. I do not get why Wichita Lineman is considered such a classic.

1. "Our House" - Madness [1982]
2. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport
3. "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]

I wish I could give these all 1's because they are all great. I really don't consider any of these songs better or worse than the others. So, I'll go by what I'd prefer to listen to right now.

Too bad Lou has to go up against one of the greatest Beatles songs because Perfect Day is a fantastic song. I think Can't Get You Out of My Head is overhyped but still ok. Me and Giuliani is just way too long.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13

2. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]
3. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
4. "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]

Another block of good songs, but I don't know about great. But again, these are interchangeable depending on the day. I love the opening of Mr. Tambourine Man enough that it gets first.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2

1. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
2. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
3. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]

I love Itchycoo Park and I always forget about when making lists of my favorite songs. Such an underrated song. Really? Backstreet Boys?

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET

1. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]
2. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
3. Mercy Mercy Me- Marvin Gaye

Atlas is one of the coolest songs ever. It might not be the best song ever but when I heard that song back in 2007 I heard something that turned my head and that's rare these days.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968] Otis was the soul singer with the most fire, but it is the ballad that made him famous.
2. "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
4. "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971] What a great hard rock song. Everyone knows it.
3. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]
4. "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002] This is actually far down on my favorite Lips songs, but sometimes when I listen to it, it makes so much sense to me.
2. "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984] The happy-go-lucky mandolin makes it.
3. "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947] I know this is the standard, but I have heard other artists that ended up making something better.

1. "Our House" - Madness [1982] New-wave favorite. I can listen to it forever.

1. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002] Oooh, that video. So young when I first saw it...good memories. Also the song is good.
2. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
3. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]
4. "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958] The start of MoTown! Gotta love it.
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965] Still think Dylan's version is better.
4. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000] A song to prove you can be a father. Beautiful.
2. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973] Guiltly pleasure.
3. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999] Guiltier pleasure.
4. "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988] Jesus, this song really started the 3rd wave feminist movement of the 90s.
3. "Atlas" - Battles [2007]

I don't know if I'll have time for each one, but I'll see if I can return later! It doesn't help that I was just typing up responses and they got eaten.

Haydn 1

1. Salt 'n Pepa- "Push It": Only for the sexy people! SNP were my first beloved rap artist, and I still feel that to this day their musical legacy is vastly underrated. They were one of the first rap acts to conquer the mainstream, and they showed that the ladies could bring it just as well as the guys. Salt's silky, sassy and smooth delivery was perfectly matched by Pepa's strong-but-sweet rhymes. Add in Spinderella, and it was a treat to behold.

2. Otis Redding- "(Sittin on) The Dock of the Bay": An absolute classic and one of my favorite songs of the 60s.

3. Phuture- "Acid Tracks"

4. O'Jay's- "Back Stabbers"

Sibelius 11- My favorite bracket we've encountered by FAR!

1. Kylie Minogue- "Can't Get You Out of My Head": This is the record that resurrected new music by new artists for me. Prior to that, I only was interested in new material by established favorites. But when I saw this futuristic, millenium-fresh music video, I thought, "Holy shit! Sheryl Crow suddenly got really cool!" When I learned that it was Kylie Minogue, I was stunned, having only known her from "The Locomotion". Needless to say, it's a stunning song. Hypnotic and propulsive, it perfectly toes the boundaries of dance, pop, electro and funk. What a combination!

2. !!!- "Me and Giuliani (Down by the Schoolyard)": My favorite song of theirs is "Must Be the Moon", but I understand why this gets all the love. It simply oozes cool for the first few minutes, before shockingly moving into some truly majestic territory that really tugs and the heartstrings and fading out with a dirty, Princetastic groove. 9 minutes of pure bliss!

3. Lou Reed- "Perfect Day": Berlin is my favorite Lou Reed album, and "Perfect Day" provided the perfect template with its sweeping grandeur and pathos.

4. The Beatles- "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Bach 13

1. Prince- "If I Was Your Girlfriend": It's a bizarre, spiralling song that defies categorization. It took me a long time to appreciate this, and while it's not one of my favorites, it perfectly showcases Prince's singular personality and effortless innuendo.

2. Roxy Music- "Love Is the Drug": "Both Ends Burning" is my favorite from Siren, but this is also quite good. I still prefer the Grace Jones cover, though!

3. Jackie Wilson- "Reet Petite"

4. The Byrds- "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Mahler 4

1. Tracy Chapman- "Fast Car": The fact that I love this song is shocking to me. I loved it back in 1988 when I was only 8 years old and had so many musical barriers to songs like this. However, something about the way Tracy injected hopeful-then-hopeless soul into every syllable won me over.

2. Marvin Gaye- "Mercy Mercy Me": My favorite song from What's Goin' On by quite some margin.

3. Battles- "Atlas"

4. The Who- "Won't Get Fooled Again": One of the reasons why I hate The Who.

Anthony

4. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue: I'm reserving comments for fear that Moonbeam will hop on the first trans-Pacific flight out of Australia to come lynch me.

Yowsah! Yowsah! Yowsah!

Henrik

1. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002] I have probably said this before, but this song was spinning in my head all days long when I fell in love with my wife. And she’s still there!

Same for me! When I first heard this song, I implored prince.org for more information about Kylie, and my now-wife gave me a great catch-up, right as I was just getting to know her!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1 - "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [1968]
2 - "Back Stabbers" - The O'Jays [1972]
3 - "Push It (Remix)" - Salt-N-Pepa [1986]
4 - "Acid Trax" - Phuture [1987]
Weak bracket. Dock Of The Bay obviously wins easily,a song that has grown on me more and more over time.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "Creep" - Radiohead [1993]
2 - "Because the Night" - Patti Smith Group [1978]
3 - "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath [1971]
4 - "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1974]
I don't agree that 'Creep' is one of Radiohead's weaker songs. Great anthem. 'Because The Night' is solid,can't stand Iron Man and You're No Good...

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1 - "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [1968]
2 - "Do You Realize??" - The Flaming Lips [2002]
3 - "I Will Dare" - The Replacements [1984]
4 - "'Round Midnight" - Thelonious Monk [1947]
As with a couple of others here,'Wichita Lineman' grew on me over time and it's become one of my all-time favourites. I like 'Do You Realize',not a huge fan of 'I Will Dare' really,I think they did several songs far better than that one. Jazz songs never really in the equation for me.

1 - "Into the Mystic" - Van Morrison [1970]
2 - "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [1969]
3 - "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" - Fairport Convention [1969]
4 - "Our House" - Madness [1982]
'Into The Mystic' is easily the best here. One of my favourites of Morrison's. 'Fortunate Son' - not one of my favourites of theirs,disappointed with the Fairport Convention track I downloaded. Madness song is terrible,reminds me of a TV ad that uses it...

1 - "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed [1972]
2 - "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles [1968]
3 - "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" - !!! [2004]
4 - "Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kylie Minogue [2002]
'Perfect Day' is a fantastic song,always reminds me of the mid-90s with Trainspotting and the charity single. 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' isn't really a favourite of mine,but I appreciate the greatness of it. The other 2 are decent singles,but neither really my style...

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1 - "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds [1965]
2 - "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" - Jackie Wilson [1958]
3 - "Love Is the Drug" - Roxy Music [1975]
4 - "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - Prince [1987]
'Mr Tambourine Man' wins quite easily - perfection. 'Reet Petite' is good fun,'Love Is The Drug' is nothing too special,enjoyable though. Never been one of my favourite Prince tracks.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1 - "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [2000]
2 - "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye [1973]
3 - "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces [1968]
4 - "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1999]
'Ms Jackson' is probably my favourite rap track ever. Never quite got their albums though. 'Let's Get It On' is a standard,great vocals as ever. Always forget about 'Itchycoo Park' - like that song. 'I Want It That Way' isn't bad actually,was never going to compete though.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4

1 - "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [1988]
2 - "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who [1971]
3 - "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
4 - "Atlas" - Battles [2007]
'Fast Car' is brilliant. For a long time thought she was a man. 'Won't Get Fooled Again' is a fantastic rock track,never seems to drag on despite it's length. 'Mercy Mercy Me' another powerful song,probably would have won a couple of other brackets here. Don't understand 'Atlas' - didn't do anything for me...

Just under three hours left to vote, so if you haven't done so yet, be sure to vote!

Okay, voting is over. Results to follow shortly.

RESULTS: ROUND 1, WEEK 4

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 1
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" (82 points, 19 first-place votes)
2. "Back Stabbers" (53, 1)
3. "Push It (Remix)" (41, 1)
4. "Acid Trax" (34, 0)

Otis takes this bracket in a runaway. Only two people did not vote "Dock of the Bay" #1 in their bracket. Salt-N-Pepa and Phuture are out, but the O'Jays still have "Love Train."

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Creep" (65, 9)
2. "Iron Man" (58, 8)
3. "Because the Night" (50, 3)
4. "You're No Good" (27, 0)

Radiohead took an early lead in this bracket, and in spite of the relatively close score, "Iron Man" never really was much of a competitor. Sabbath still has "Paranoid" in competition, but Linda Ronstadt is eliminated (in a big way) in her only bracket. "Creep" advances to face two undetermined songs and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Wichita Lineman" (55, 9)
2. "I Will Dare" (51, 6)
3. "Do You Realize??" (48, 2)
4. "'Round Midnight" (46, 3)

I fully expected Glen Campbell to run away with this one, but there was a surprising amount of dislike for his song. Still, it had enough strength to push it past its competition. The Replacements made it close, but they are eliminated in their only bracket, as are the Flaming Lips and Thelonious Monk.

1. "Fortunate Son" (54, 8)
2. "Into the Mystic" (52, 5)
3. "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" (43, 3)
4. "Our House" (41, 3)

Another bracket where I expected the top seed to run away with it, only to be surprised by some apparent dislike for said song. In the end, CCR had enough to the second round. Van Morrison goes oh-for-two with two songs left in the first round, but Fairport Convention and Madness are both out.

1. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (65, 10)
2. "Perfect Day" (53, 3)
3. "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (49, 5)
4. "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)" (43, 3)

The Beatles put another song into the second round, as "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" runs away with this bracket. Kylie Minogue and !!! are eliminated after only one bracket. The Fab Four will take on Sonic Youth's "Teen Age Riot" and two to-be-determined-later songs.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 13
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" (58, 9)
2. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" (56, 6)
3. "Love Is the Drug" (50, 2)
4. "Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want to Meet)" (36, 3)

In one of the bigger surprises of the week (at least to me), the Byrds barely squeak out a win in this bracket. For the better part of the week, Prince held the lead here, but some late votes put "Mr. Tambourine Man" into the second round. Roxy Music and Jackie Wilson are not completely eliminated; they have one and two songs left in Bracketology, respectively.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Ms. Jackson" (73, 14)
2. "Let's Get It On" (51, 2)
3. "Itchycoo Park" (48, 4)
4. "I Want It That Way" (28, 0)

In the week's second-biggest blowout, OutKast moves on to the second round. Marvin Gaye is now one-for-three in the first round, but the Small Faces and the Backstreet Boys are done.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Fast Car" (59, 7)
2. "Won't Get Fooled Again" (58, 10)
3. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" (52, 2)
4. "Atlas" (41, 2)

I cannot even begin to express my shock (and happiness) to announce this bracket. In what was largely considered to be the strongest bracket of the week, Tracy Chapman pulls off the upset and drives her fast car into the second round. The Who held a big lead for the majority of the week, but Chapman scored higher in the last seven ballots to squeak out the win. Marvin Gaye is now one-for-four in the first round, but Battles is gone.

STATISTICS

TOP TEN BEST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per vote)
2. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
3. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667)
4. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
5. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
5. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
7. "Changes" - David Bowie (3.5)
8. "What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye (3.429)
9. "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (3.421)
10. "Born to Run" - Bruce Springsteen (3.393) tie
10. "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie (3.393) tie

TOP TEN WORST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
2. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
3. "Up on the Roof" - The Drifters (1.55)
4. "Hounds of Love" - The Futureheads (1.556)
5. "Yeah!" - Usher (Featuring Ludacris & Lil' Jon) (1.611)
6. "Acid Trax" - Phuture (1.619)
7. "Police and Thieves" - Junior Murvin (1.643)
8. "Flat Beat" - Mr. Oizo (1.667)
9. "She Sells Sanctuary" - The Cult (1.714) tie
9. "Telstar" - The Tornados (1.714) tie

TOP FIVE WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie

TOP FIVE BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
2. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
3. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
4. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)
5. "Something" - The Beatles (2.857) tie
5. "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" - The Walker Brothers (2.857) tie

FIVE LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (ranked #824)
2. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
3. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
4. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
5. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (#449)

FIVE HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
2. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
3. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
4. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)
5. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye (#138)
5. "Bo Diddley" - Bo Diddley (#177)

MORE STATISTICS

WHO GOT THE MOST CORRECT WINNERS THIS WEEK?
1. Matt Schroeder (8 out of 8 - 100%)
2. Anthony (7 out of 8 - 82.5%)
3. Midaso (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
3. nicolas (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
3. SR (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
6. brose (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
6. schleuse (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
6. sonofsamiam (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
9. Alex D (4 out of 7 - 57.14%)
10. Greg (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. John (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. pop elton (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
13. BillAdama (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
13. Harold Wexler (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
13. Jeff (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
13. The Lone Gunmen (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
13. VanillaFire1000 (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
18. Nassim (2 out of 7 - 28.57%)
19. Henrik (2 out of 8 - 25%) tie
19. Moonbeam (1 out of 4 - 25%) tie
21. Rune (1 out of 8 - 12.5%)

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Honorio (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
1. Mindrocker (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
3. brose (23 out of 32 - 71.88%)
4. Michael (5 out of 7 - 71.43%)
6. Matt Schroeder (21 out of 32 - 65.62%) tie
6. Midaso (21 out of 32 - 65.62%) tie
6. SR (21 out of 32 - 65.62%) tie
8. Anthony (20 out of 32 - 62.5%) tie
8. BillAdama (20 out of 32 - 62.5%) tie
8. Greg Rumpff (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
8. nicolas (20 out of 32 - 62.5%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY NUMBER CORRECT)
1. brose (23)
2. Matt Schroeder (21) tie
2. Midaso (21) tie
2. SR (21) tie
5. Anthony (20) tie
5. BillAdama (20) tie
5. nicolas (20) tie
8. Alex D (19) tie
8. Harold Wexler (19) tie
8. sonofsamiam (19) tie

Make that three weeks in a row where my favorite song of the week was a favorite in its bracket only to be eliminated by white-boy rock.

At least Tracy Chapman pulled it out!