The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RIP Michael Jackson

You'd think MJ would have more singles in the top 3000. Not that two of his albums alone and handful of singles haven't earned him a lofty position as it is.

His work will continue to impact and influence for generatons, I'm sure. Even though he hasn't produced anything remarkabkle in some time and kinda kept recycling his signature moves, it's a monumental loss to entertainment and music. R.I.P., KOP.

Yeah. Goddamn.

"Thriller" is an amazing pop album. I'm listening to it as a tribute.

Sucks. I was always hoping he could turn it around and lead a normal elderly life.

In a way, Billie Jean became the story of his life. "Some people always told me, be careful what you do". He should have known that a man as popular as him would be accused of pedophilia if he invited kids over for sleepovers, even if he only meant to relate to them like another kid.

It's sad. I'd always hoped his life would calm down and he'd have a chance to just be appreciated for his art again.

I heard Bad a few weeks ago for the first time since I was a kid. The contrast between it and Thriller seemed symptomatic of his emotional problems. Where in Thriller he seemed relaxed, happy, and able to just enjoy singing, in Bad he was overly desperate to please, insecure and defensive.

I only wish he'd been given a stable enough childhood for his self-image to be able to handle fame.

It's a sad day for pop. Michael Jackson was its brightest star.

He was my earliest musical memory(born '87) so I'll always remember him...

This is unbelievable. Just unbelievable. What a tragic end for the biggest pop star ever. I was hoping he could silence some doubters with the tour that was scheduled. And what about his poor kids?

Very sad. But almost fitting given his self-destructive nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkcZDGFm0Yw

Harold, I think you're putting words in my mouth. I thought it was an interesting point that he made. I had never thought of it. I was not around in the early eighties. Well, I was, but not long before then. Point is, I tend to associate black artists so closely with the history of pop/rock that it had never occured to me that there was a time when it was hard for them to get on the radio/MTV. My musical awareness bloomed in the 90s. By then, it wasn't. You're assuming my post was sarcastic, which it wasn't.

ChrisF
Harold, I think you're putting words in my mouth. You're assuming my post was sarcastic, which it wasn't.

confirmed and acknowledged, Chris, only bubbles seem to know why the Wanxxler did react that way - - so when will we both meet for dinner again?

ChrisF
Harold, I think you're putting words in my mouth. I thought it was an interesting point that he made. I had never thought of it. I was not around in the early eighties. Well, I was, but not long before then. Point is, I tend to associate black artists so closely with the history of pop/rock that it had never occured to me that there was a time when it was hard for them to get on the radio/MTV. My musical awareness bloomed in the 90s. By then, it wasn't. You're assuming my post was sarcastic, which it wasn't.

Yeah, I overreacted a little bit. Your posts tend to be thoughtful and interesting, and I should have taken that into consideration instead of assuming you were just being glib. Sorry about that, Chris.

Harold Wexler

Yeah, I overreacted a little bit. Your posts tend to be thoughtful and interesting, and I should have taken that into consideration instead of assuming you were just being glib. Sorry about that, Chris.

gravity boots to that..

and off..
nj

hearing about this made me really sad. i don't care what the autopsy reveals (revealed?), we're the real killers. we love MJ, but he has to die before we'll try to let him know. while he's alive, all we can do is criticise him. my guess would be that he didn't *want* to die, but something tells me he was ok with it, and maybe that's why it happened. every second website has a tribute to him at the moment. not meaningless ones either. if he could see them, i don't think he would have been ok with dieing. i'm sure he would have wanted to live. i'm sure the pressure he thought he was under would disappear. poor guy. i hope we learn something.