Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how many albums have you heard?

Lately I've been wondering if I really do listen to a lot of music or not. Of all my friends, I've easily heard the most music- but I know that it doesn't stand up to any of you guys. So I was just wondering- how many complete albums (excluding greatest hits albums) have you guys heard?

I'd say I have heard a bit over 300 albums, which I don't really think that is that much, but hey, I'm only 17.

Re: how many albums have you heard?

My RYM says about 750 albums have been rated, so I think that I've probably heard around 800 albums total, which also probably falls a bit on the low side here (I have plenty of time to catch up as well though).

I have absolutely no idea, but my guess is 5-600.

I don't really know, but I can guaruntee you that the number is somewhere between 200-400. Like you Nick, I'm only 17, and I'm sure that number will increase throughout the years.

I'm guessing around 300 also; seems kinda low when I write it down given that I consider myself a pretty big music fan. I'm 32.

RYM has nearly 1700, so I'd guess at about 1800 total.

I own just under 350 albums.

I'd say at least 1000 in full and probably 1500 more that I've skimmed through.

5-600 probably...

Since july 2007, I've heard 888 albums. I have as much Cds, and more than 40 000 songs in my computer
But in the 25 years or so before that, I can't figure out...
thousands I would say

Somewhere around 2500 I think.

nicolas
Since july 2007, I've heard 888 albums.

Works out as more than one a day(!)

Now just for kicks, how many albums do you think that the average 40 year old has heard in their lifetime?

I own around 2000 CDs and another 100 cassettes and another 300 albums. And there's probably another 100 that I have as MP3/WMA files, so my guess is:

That's only a guess.

Up until recently my family and I owned around 200-300 albums. My aunt donated around 100 of her old vinyl to us so I own as much as 400 albums, however I have not had time yet to hear all of it. I am in my teens.

...In my entire life?

Probably around 1500.

When I was 17 though probably more around 200.

I'm guessing somewhere around 1,000 or so.

I would draw a distinction between actually "knowing" an album, and listening to it once all the way through. I have a feeling alot of people on sites like Rate Your Music listen to an album once and then rate it, which I think is ridiculous. I generally don't consider an album "heard" until I've listened to it four or five times.

I have to confess there are definitely some CDs/albums that I've only listened to once..or probably haven't listened to even once. (For awhile, I got promo CDs while working for a music store chain.)

Adjusting for some of those, I'd still guess I'm around 2000...

If the criteria becomes hearing it 4 times or more, I'd probably be closer to 1500...a lot of those CDs are things of my wife's that I've played and decided weren't really my thing at all.

Oh and I'm 38 since many of us are spilling our ages..

I'm only 21 but I'm sure I've listen to over 1000 albums...but mostly classical and jazz, and stuff that I can't remember the names of. I probably have alot more experience with 45s and 78s than most people here, because of my dad. He inherited Jerome Robbin's record collection and we spent hours sorting it and listening to it. We still are.

a meager 234. but hey, i'm seventeen and money doesn't grow on trees!

Here's another question: How much of your collection (If you want to add Mp3's go ahead) have you listened to? I own about 700 albums on vinyl and cd and I think I've listened to about half of them. I pick things up at thrift stores or bargain bins that I want to listen to, but haven't got around to them.

Almost everything with me; I do probably have 30-40 MP3 albums that I haven't.

John
Here's another question: How much of your collection (If you want to add Mp3's go ahead) have you listened to? I own about 700 albums on vinyl and cd and I think I've listened to about half of them. I pick things up at thrift stores or bargain bins that I want to listen to, but haven't got around to them.

Probably about 2000 or around 75% of my collection. Like you, I buy cheap (25-50 cents) albums at thrift stores or used record/CD shops and sometimes it takes a long time before I get around to listening to 'em.7MRK

personally, i'm about 700-800 albums, and most thanks to acclaimed music