Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hooks--How do song writers know they're there?

I'm not a musician but for some reason I'm fascinated by the song-writing process. I'd like to start a discussion about those hooks that reveal themselves only after a bunch of listens. OK Computer comes to mind. I remember listening to it several times and thinking to myself "I don't hear the hooks like I did on The Bends." but after several more listens I couldn't get the hooks out of my head. I guess my question is how does an artist write a hook that only sinks into your head after several listens? How does he/she know that it's a hook?

Re: Hooks--How do song writers know they're there?

That's an interesting question. It's possible that some of the hooks were not written immediately, but only developed gradually as the song came into shape during rehearsal. In other words, the hooks may have taken as long to "write" as they do to discover.

I have a theory about rock that it takes a while for a hard working rock musician to reach those inner feelings that we are out to experience and also to write music about them. Bowie as an example tried hard for a decade or so before he had some widespread success.

Rock choses YOU!

I disagree Fred. I think it's more perspiration than inspiration. A matter of finding the right places to press your fingers. Trying a million things and finding the few that work.