Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Underrated Rock Bands

What do you think is the most underrated rock band?

Do you think any of these bands are underrated?

Brinsley Schwarz
The Creation
The Feelies
The Go-Betweens
The Gun Club
The Human Switchboard
The Left Banke
Moby Grape
The Outsiders (Netherlands)
The Pretty Things
The Sir Douglas Quintet
The Small Faces
Television
The Zombies

Re: Underrated Rock Bands

I think a lot of those bands are only underrated because they didn't have many albums but their top albums are very highly regarded. That makes sense because I wouldn't put The Zombies or Television as a band anywhere near a band like The Beatles but I'd put O+O and Marquee Moon right up there with Rubber Soul, Help and Revolver. Also, one person's definition of underrated is probably much different than the next.

Underrated bands for me include:

The Monkees- Can you believe this band isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I mean the hall is a joke in the first place and I understand why some would be hesitant to induct them but when you look at who else is in there and how many hits and great albums the Monkees had... they're a glaring omission.

The Dandy Warhols- A band that never really made it as big as they should have. It's crazy how big The Strokes became and that The Dandy Warhols didn't really get in on that.

Harry Nilsson- More specifically, early Harry Nilsson. He's widely known for Coconut and his ballads but Nilsson could write a pop tune as well as Lennon/McCartney and they knew it. His first two albums are loaded with catchy pop songs and everything after that is pretty good too.

This one is stretching it a little bit.... but Paul McCartney and once again from a critical point of view. His solo and Wings career is rarely raved about minus a couple albums but I don't think I've heard one album of his that didn't have at least a few songs I liked. McCartney, Ram and Wild Life are all great albums- maybe not classics but still pretty great. I really think his solo work should be as revered as Lennon's.

A few others just scrolling through my album collection:

Big Dipper
Bikeride
The Coral (At least in America)
The Groundhogs
The Jayhawks (They should be the 1st band that comes to mind when alt-country is discussed)
Jonathan Richman
Minus 5
Nerf Herder (I love this band!)
Phil Ochs
Toots and the Maytals

Considering the AM3000, I would say that Electrelane is the most underrated band there. I don't understand they don't have their 3 albums ranked, definitely one of the best band of "post-rock" and one of the most intriguing band of the '00s.

Paul
What do you think is the most underrated rock band?

Do you think any of these bands are underrated?

Brinsley Schwarz
The Creation
The Feelies
The Go-Betweens
The Gun Club
The Human Switchboard
The Left Banke
Moby Grape
The Outsiders (Netherlands)
The Pretty Things
The Sir Douglas Quintet
The Small Faces
Television
The Zombies

Usually for me to call a band "underrated", I like them to have released at least 3 albums that are good with at least one of them to be "great" in my eyes. In other words, even if I thought "Never Mind the Bollocks..." was a great album, I still wouldn't call them a great BAND due to next to no output. Plenty of bands have come up with a great debut and then the stinker sophomore album and average to irrevelant work thereafter.

In the case of most of what you've named above, I'm too unfamiliar with them to have an opinion yet. Other than The Creation...I'd consider them GOOD but not GREAT. I have a compilation called something something PURPLE FLASHES that basically collects all their stuff together on 1 disc. They didn't really have enough longevity for me to rate them among the all-time greats.

I don't consider any of the bands I listed to be all-time greats, just one's that might have been forgotten too soon, or in the case of a band like The Zombies, not get as much popular and/or critical support as they deserve.

The list is just a discussion starter based on suggestions I got in another forum. For the record, I think The Left Banke may be the most unfairly forgotten band. They had a lot of cool songs in the 1960s that hold up pretty well today, but nobody really listens to them these days.

Super Furry Animals and Camera Obscura(UK!!!!!!!!!)are gettting rave reviews as always but they'll end up being upstaged by some artsy lofi band by the time the year ends like always. They've remained consistantly good throughout their careers and deserve a wider audience.