Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nevermind's "slick" production

cobain originally critisized bitch vig's production of nevermind calling it too "slick" but i think he later praised the production.

i'm really curios to hear what everyone here thinks.

honestly. i don't know what to think. my opinion changes every time i listen to it. i think it depends on the track.

Re: Nevermind's

"bitch vig"??? hahaha
i don't mind it at all, personally.

I have nothing bad at all to say about Nevermind. I still think it's the best album of the 90s and one of the best ever. The production is fine.

I think the production is solid, not really spectacular but the album sounds pretty good. I never really understood complaints about it being too "commercial." Kurt Cobain's poppier songwriting make the album commercial, not the production, and if you compare it to what else was going on before it came out, it's pretty darn grungy.

beliveve it or not, the "bitch" was unintentional.

I've got a problem with Nevermind : every time I listen to it, my opinion changes. Sometimes it's great, sometimes I feel bored. I just listened to it last week, and I guess I've come to a settlement.
I guess I'd give it a 3.5/5.
"Smells like" is still a great song (5/5)
The other singles are great and I love track 2
The rest is decent to boring to my ears.

About the production, I don't feel a gap between the songwriting and the prod so I guess it's OK
Cobain couldn't stand the commercial success of "Nevermind", so I guess that's why he called the prod "slick".
But to me it's really their best album, just THANKS TO THAT.

I absolutely think it's too slick. Compare the studio version of songs to the live versions.