The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Some music trivia questions from Ken Jennings

Okay, you remember Ken Jennings. He was the guy who was on Jeopardy! for a long time and won all that money. Anyway, a year or two ago, he put together a book of trivia questions, with a different page for each day of the year. Example: for February 12, he says that on this day in 1912, Teddy Roosevelt coined the political phrase "hat in the ring," so there's a series of "ring" questions. (Q. What two NFL quarterbacks have four Super Bowl rings each? A. Terry Bradshaw & Joe Montana.)

Anyway, this is on the page for August 31...

1976: George Harrison is found guilty of "subconsciously plagiarizing" the melody to his hit "My Sweet Lord" from the Chiffons' "He's So Fine." He will end up paying more than half a million dollars to the estate of that song's late composer.

THEMED SONGS: It's not a plagiarized melody, but what do these sets of songs all have in common?

1. The Cure's "Just Like Heaven," Peter Gabriel's "Lead a Normal Life," "George Michael's "One More Try", U2's "Running to Stand Still"

2. The Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies," Beyonce's "Deja Vu," Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song," Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson"

3. Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale," Santana's "Love of My Life," Eric Carmen's "All by Myself," the Toys' "A Lover's Concerto"

4. Eminem's "Without Me," Public Enemy's "Fight the Power," R.E.M.'s "Man on the Moon," Shania Twain's "That Don't Impress Me Much"

5. Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Oasis's "Acquiesce," Rod Stewart's "Maggie May," Gene Vincent's "Be-Bop-a-Lula"

6. Chamillionaire's "Ridin'," Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise," Michael Jackson's "Beat It," Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

7. Elvis Costello's "Radio Radio," Bob Marley's "War," the Replacements' "Bastards of Young," Ashlee Simpson's "Autobiography"

8. Badfinger's "Day After Day," David Bowie's "Fame," Harry Nilsson's "Spaceman," the Rolling Stones' "We Love You"

9. Beck's "Loser," Def Leppard's "Rocket," Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces," Prince's "Darling Nikki"

10. Golden Earring's "Radar Love," Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream," Johnny Rivers' "Summer Rain," Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road"

I've got the answers here, so as soon as someone gets them all right (or when interest in the thread seems to wane), I'll post the answers. Maybe these won't be nearly as hard for you music experts, but it was more difficult for someone like me who is more well-versed in just general trivia.

Re: Some music trivia questions from Ken Jennings

2. All four songs mention a famous baseball player.

4. All four songs mention Elvis Presley.

5. Songs that were originally released as b-sides but became hits.

1. In all four songs, the title occurs only once in the lyrics, and comprises the very last words that are sung.

3. All are based on well-known classical melodies.

6. All were parodied by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

7. All were involved in notorious musical moments on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (I don't know about the Replacements one, though).

8. A Beatle appears on all of them.

10. All mention legendary 1960s hitmakers in the lyrics (Brenda Lee, Del Shannon, the Beatles and Roy Orbison, respectively).

9. All have backmasking

Damn, I guess these questions were only difficult for me. It took you all less than four hours to get them all. Here's the answers (in Ken Jennings' words)...

1. The title isn't sung until the last line
2. Name-check baseball players (Sadaharu Oh, Juan Pierre, Rod Carew, Joe DiMaggio)
3. Based on classical compositions
4. Mention Elvis
5. B-sides that became hits
6. Spoofed by "Weird Al" Yankovic
7. Controversial Saturday Night Live performances
8. Beatles guest on each (George, John, Ringo, and Paul, respectively)
9. Backward-masked vocals
10. About listening to other songs ("Coming On Strong," "Runaway," "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Only the Lonely")

Let me see if I can find any more trivia. Maybe something that might stump you guys a little more...

Oh, and to answer Harold Wexler's query... The Replacements' performance of "Bastards of Young" was controversial because they were thoroughly intoxicated at the time.

Okay, these next questions aren't nearly as difficult. But I still love trivia, and hopefully there are a few people out there who love trivia too...

January 13, 1962: Chubby Checker's "The Twist" hits number one in its second run up the charts — it had already been a number one hit in 1960. It's still the only song ever to top the Hot 100 twice.

COVER TO COVER: Nine other songs have hit number one in two different versions. Name the two-time number-one sung by...

1. Shocking Blue and Bananarama
2. Little Eva and Grand Funk
3. The Jackson 5 and Mariah Carey
4. Bill Withers and Club Nouveau
5. Steve Lawrence and Donny Osmond
6. Labelle and Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, & Pink
7. Percy Sledge and Michael Bolton
8. The Marvelettes and the Carpenters
9. The Supremes and Kim Wilde
10. Bonus Question: The first two times this happened, the same songwriting team was responsible. Who were they?

I'll take the easy ones.

2. Locomotion
3. I'll Be There
4. Lean on Me?
6. Lady Marmalade
7. When a Man Loves a Woman

1.Venus
8.Please Mr Postman

Matt Schroeder

COVER TO COVER: Nine other songs have hit number one in two different versions. Name the two-time number-one sung by...

9. The Supremes and Kim Wilde
10. Bonus Question: The first two times this happened, the same songwriting team was responsible. Who were they?

9 is "You Keep Me Hanging On". Didn't Vanilla Fudge have some degree of chart success with their cover, too?

10 I *believe* is Gerry Goffin and Carole King. They wrote "Locomotion"..but I'm having trouble thinking of the 2nd time. Perhaps "Daydream Believer"? I know that was a big hit for the Monkees and for Anne Murray.

Greg, that second Goffin-King song would be "Go Away Little Girl." "Daydream Believer" was written by John Stewart.

And yes, "You Keep Me Hangin' On" is indeed that rare song that has hit the top ten in as many as THREE different versions - the Vanilla Fudge reached #5 with their half-speed garage/psych version.

"Locomotion" also almost made the rare triple play. Kylie's version hit #3.

I guess I was right, that these weren't harder than the first batch of questions. It only took you guys almost TWO hours this time. Here's the answers.

1. "Venus"
2. "The Loco-Motion"
3. "I'll Be There"
4. "Lean on Me"
5. "Go Away Little Girl"
6. "Lady Marmalade"
7. "When a Man Loves a Woman"
8. "Please Mr. Postman"
9. "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
10. Gerry Goffin and Carole King ("Go Away Little Girl" and "The Loco-Motion")

Round three!

January 28, 1985: Forty-five recording artists gather at the A&M recording studios in Hollywood to sing "We Are the World." (The producers have cannily selected the date of the American Music Awards to ensure a big turnout.)

COUNT IT OFF: Can you put these bands in order from one to ten, based on the number of members in their most famous lineup?

1. Broken Social Scene
2. The Dave Matthews Band
3. Eurythmics
4. Green Day
5. Iron & Wine
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Madness
8. Slipknot
9. Toto
10. UB40

5, 3, 4, 6, 2, 9, 7, 10, 8, 1.

Correct again! Harold Wexler got the correct order, but in case you'd rather have the names of the bands, here's the answers.

1. Iron & Wine
2. Eurythmics
3. Green Day
4. Led Zeppelin
5. The Dave Matthews Band
6. Toto
7. Madness
8. UB40
9. Slipknot
10. Broken Social Scene

Round four!

February 14, 1816: Composer Jean-Paul-Egide Martini dies in Paris. Only his vocal romance "Plaisir d'amour" is much remembered today, since its melody is the basis of the Elvis and UB40 hit "Can't Help Falling in Love."

SILLY LOVE SONGS: Who had the biggest hit singing about these kinds of love?

Easy
1. Baby
2. Higher
3. Muskrat
4. Burning
5. Endless

Harder
6. California
7. Radar
8. No Ordinary
9. Tainted
10. One

Yeah, Good Luck
11. 100% Pure
12. Fast
13. Cool
14. Butta
15. Modern

Nice game.

Easy
1. Baby
The Supremes
4. Burning
Elvis Presley

Harder
6. California
2Pac
7. Radar
Golden Earring?
9. Tainted
Soft Cell (cover)

Yeah, Good Luck
12. Fast
George Michael

15. Modern
Answer: David Bowie

I thought that was the easiest one.

3. Muskrat
Captain And Tennille

10. One
Bob Marley

2. Steve Winwood
5. Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
7. Golden Earring

Finally got to answer some before everyone else!

great little game, this.

8. No Ordinary: Sade
11. 100% Pure: Crystal Waters
14. Butta: Next

we just have 13 left...

You guys are slipping! I figured you all would have gotten these just as quickly as the last few questions. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Anyway, here's the answers...

Easy
1. The Supremes
2. Steve Winwood
3. The Captain & Tennille
4. Elvis Presley
5. Lionel Richie & Diana Ross

Harder
6. Tupac Shakur
7. Golden Earring
8. Sade
9. Soft Cell
10. Bob Marley

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Crystal Waters
12. George Michael
13. Pablo Cruise
14. Next
15. David Bowie

I think when the only one you're missing is a Pablo Cruise song, you're forgiven. Round five coming up momentarily.

Round five!

February 17, 2004: An enterprising cell phone owner tries to auction off his phone number on eBay. Bidding tops $100,000 before Verizon yanks the sale. Why so much interest? The number was 867-5309, immortalized by Tommy Tutone in 1982.

ADD IT UP: Remember the annoying postgrunge fad of numbered band names? Finish these equations by filling in the acts' missing digits.

1. UB_____ + _____ Non Blondes = Mack _____
2. (Level _____ x _____ Inch Nails) - Eiffel _____ - _____Pac = _____
3. Andre _____ + (_____ Mary Three x Maroon _____ x Matchbox _____ x _____cc) = _____ Maniacs
4. (_____ Cent + Sum _____) x U_____ = Blink-_____
5. Plus-_____ + Boyz _____ Men + B-_____s = _____ Degrees

1. UB40 + 4 Non Blondes = Mack 10 **DOES NOT COMPUTE**
2. (Level 42 x 9 Inch Nails) - Eiffel 65 - 2Pac = 311
3. Andre 3000 + (Seven Mary Three x Maroon 5 x Matchbox 20 x 10cc) = 10,000 Maniacs
4. (50 Cent + Sum 41) x U2 = Blink-182
5. Plus-44 + Boyz II Men + B-52's = 98 Degrees

#1 does "compute" if the original question is actually UB(blank) DIVIDED by (blank) Non Blondes, which I suspect is the case.

Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that. I saw the "÷" and my brain told me "+". Facepalm.

Otherwise, j0hnny63 had it entirely correct. I won't repost the answers, since it would be a waste of space. Round six coming soon!

Round six! If you enjoyed round four, you'll probably enjoy this one too. Same type of idea...

February 27, 1974: People Magazine debuts. The first cover promises interviews with tabloid faves like Richard Petty, Lee Harvey Oswald's widow, and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (!).

UP WITH PEOPLE: Who had hits singing about these kinds of people?

Easy
1. Shiny Happy
2. Everyday
3. Short
4. Ordinary

Harder
5. Common
6. The Beautiful
7. 24 Hour Party
8. Rainy Day

Yeah, Good Luck
9. Lonely
10. Voodoo
11. Sunset
12. Happy

1. Shiny Happy REM
2. Everyday Sly and the Family Stone
3. Short Randy Newman
6. The Beautiful Marilyn Manson
7. 24 Hour Party Happy Mondays
10. Voodoo Prodigy

2.Everyday : maybe Arrested Development had a bigger hit, commercially speaking

5.Common : Pulp (well, THIS was the easy one ! )

Hmm, seems you guys know more about "love" songs than "people" songs... Or maybe these were just extra-hard. Here's the answers:

1. R.E.M.
2. Sly & the Family Stone
3. Randy Newman
4. John Legend
5. Pulp
6. Marilyn Manson
7. The Happy Mondays
8. Gordon Lightfoot
9. America
10. The Prodigy
11. Donna Summer
12. R. Kelly

Oh, and I agree with Nassim. Jennings should have said that there were two possible answers for #2: Sly and Arrested Development. Oh well.

Round seven coming shortly...

Round seven! This round is just straight-up trivia. No special instructions.

February 22, 2006: Alex Ostrovsky, of West Bloomfield, Michigan, downloads the billionth song from Apple's iTunes Web site. (Luckily for Alex, it was "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay. How'd you like your name to appear in headlines for your download of "Ice Ice Baby"?)

EYE TUNES: Questions both musicological and ophthalmological.

1. What two other actresses are name-checked in Kim Carnes's "Bette Davis Eyes"?
2. What stadium hit do we owe to a pre-Civil War folk song and the Swedish dance band Rednex?
3. The song "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" was inspired by Stephen Stills's breakup with whom?
4. Twenty-six years before it became a pop hit, what song was originally written by Jerome Kern for the Astaire-Rogers film Roberta?
5. Whose first single was "I've Cried (the Blue Right Out of My Eyes)," which turned out to be an ironic reverse of her biggest hit?
6. In a 1989 film, what song finally replaced John Cusack and Cameron Crowe's earlier choices, Billy Idol's "To Be a Lover" or Fishbone's "Turn the Other Way"?
7. Who sang the theme song of the Bond film For Your Eyes Only, making her the only Bond vocalist to actually appear in the opening credits?
8. What song was written in 1981 when Sylvester Stallone was unable to secure the movie rights to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust"?
9. What line is missing from some bowdlerized edits of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl"?
10. What civil rights anthem is actually a rewrite of the hymn "Keep Your Hands on the Plow, Hold On"?

1. Jean Harlow, Greta Garbo

3. Judy Collins.

6. Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes," with the film being SAY ANYTHING.

7. Sheena Easton.

8. Gotta be "Eye of the Tiger."

9. "Making love in the green grass..."

2. Cotton Eyed Joe. (Now it's playing in my head )

Hmm... Seems a couple of these were more difficult than I thought they might have been... Here's the answers to round seven...

1. Jean Harlow & Greta Garbo
2. "Cotton Eye Joe"
3. Judy Collins
4. "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"
5. Crystal Gayle's (of "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" fame)
6. "In Your Eyes" (in Say Anything...)
7. Sheena Easton
8. "Eye of the Tiger"
9. "Making love in the green grass"
10. "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize"

Re: Alex D... I agree with you. After you mentioned it being in your head, that damned song was stuck in my head all afternoon. Truly awful song. But it reminded me of something from a year or two ago.

My college used to play that song, Rednex's "Cotton Eye Joe", at football games to try to get the crowd excited (which actually speaks volumes about my college and its supporters, but that's another story). Then a rumor came up that the song "Cotton Eye Joe" was actually about lynching black people. I have no idea if that rumor is even true, but my school doesn't play the song anymore.

Anyway, round eight coming soon...

Round eight!

March 2, 1955: Bo Diddley and his band enter a Chicago studio and record two demos that will become huge R&B hits. But "I'm a Man" is dwarfed by the success of its B-side, called simply "Bo Diddley."

SINGLE DOUBLES: Can you make these unlikely cover versions make sense, by finding the single by each artist that has the same name as the artist who recorded the corresponding song?

Easy
1. Neil Diamond, "A Horse with No Name"
2. Gary Numan, "Drive"
3. Edwin Starr, "Low Rider"
4. Weezer, "Peggy Sue"
5. Bell Biv Devoe, "Unskinny Bop"

Harder
6. Aerosmith, "U + Ur Hand"
7. The Association, "Do It to It"
8. Prince, "Rocket Ride"
9. Jackson 5, "Be Near Me"
10. Herb Alpert, "Boogie Oogie Oogie"

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Keyshia Cole, "7 and 7 Is"
12. Graham Nash, "Call on Me"
13. Bobbie Gentry, "Touch Me"
14. Henry Gross, "Let the Music Play"
15. Big Audio Dynamite, "Tom Sawyer"

Easy
1. Neil Diamond, "A Horse with No Name" - America
2. Gary Numan, "Drive" - Cars
3. Edwin Starr, "Low Rider" - War
4. Weezer, "Peggy Sue" - Buddy Holly
5. Bell Biv Devoe, "Unskinny Bop" - Poison

Harder
9. Jackson 5, "Be Near Me" - ABC?
10. Herb Alpert, "Boogie Oogie Oogie" - A Taste of Honey

Yeah, Good Luck
15. Big Audio Dynamite, "Tom Sawyer" - Rush

I impressed myself on this one.

6. Pink
7. Cherish
11. Love
12. Chicago?
13. The Doors? I don't think that one is right

Eric Prydz, Samantha Fox... pretty trashy answers

Re: John... #13 is not the Doors.

Which means numbers 8, 13, and 14 are still open.

Wasn't netjade correct with Samantha Fox?

14. Shannon

I'm assuming the Bobby Gentry one is Fancy then. I did look at her singles so I kind of cheated on that one.

Prince is definitely Kiss because I can't think of many other bands that would have a song called Rocket Ride.

A little bit trickier of a set of questions this time around, I guess. Kudos to all of you. You did better than I could ever hope to do. Some of these answers were real "WTF's" for me... Anyway, here are the answers.

1. America
2. Cars
3. War
4. Buddy Holly
5. Poison
6. Pink
7. Cherish
8. Kiss
9. ABC
10. A Taste of Honey
11. Love
12. Chicago
13. Fancy
14. Shannon
15. Rush

Re: netjade... Yes, Eric Prydz did have a single called "Call on Me," but Graham Nash never had a single called "Eric Prydz." Same for Samantha Fox on #13.

Round nine coming soon.

Round nine!

March 4, 1956: A North Texas State student named Roy Orbison records a song some of his classmates wrote in fifteen minutes on a frat-house roof. "Ooby Dooby" becomes his breakout hit.

LYRICIST WANTED: Match these nonsense titles to the artist who performed them.

1. "Be-Bop-a-Lula"
2. "MMMBop"
3. "Doo Wop"
4. "Do Wah Diddy Diddy"
5. "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"
6. "Do Da Da"
7. "Da Doo Ron Ron"
8. "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day"
9. "Shoop"
10. "Sh-Boom"

A. The Chords
B. The Crystals
C. Green Day
D. Hanson
E. Lauryn Hill
F. Manfred Mann
G. The Police
H. Gene Vincent
I. Salt-N-Pepa
J. Stevie Wonder

1.H
2.D
3.E
4.F
5.G
6.C
7.B
8.J
9.I
10.A

Matt Schroeder

Re: netjade... Yes, Eric Prydz did have a single called "Call on Me," but Graham Nash never had a single called "Eric Prydz." Same for Samantha Fox on #13.

Hahaha, me and my mighty inability to finish
reading the last significant sentence...
..but.. no, seriously, you're not really a bootlegger, are you?
"Eric Prydz" is the most awesome unreleased Hollies song ever...

"Oh, Eric Prydz,
what turned your tides,
upon the slides,
to lush seamen tights.."

Somehow I'm not surprised that it only took an hour and a half for someone to get all of this round correct. I actually got them all right when I first read these questions, and if I can get them right, just how hard can they be? I won't post the answers, since Midaso got them all right. ROUND TEN FORTHCOMING!

Round ten!

March 7, 1994: The Supreme Court rules, in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, that commercial parody may be allowable as "fair use" — in this case, that 2 Live Crew can use the tune to "Oh, Pretty Woman."

AND NOTHING BUT THE SPOOF: What artists' hits were parodied by "Weird Al" Yankovic as...

Easy
1. "Like a Surgeon"
2. "Another One Rides the Bus"
3. "Canadian Idiot"
4. "Living with a Hernia"
5. "It's All About the Pentiums"

Harder
6. "Lasagna"
7. "Gump"
8. "Couch Potato"
9. "My Bologna"
10. "Do I Creep You Out"

Yeah, Good Luck
11. "eBay"
12. "Headline News"
13. "Yoda"
14. "Cavity Search"
15. "The Brady Bunch"

I'm usually loathe to bump my own posts, but I wasn't sure if maybe people had just overlooked this round of trivia.

1 - Madonna - Like a Virgin
2 - Queen - Another One Bites the Dust
3 - Greenday - American Idiot
4 - James Brown - Living in America
6 - Ritchie Valens - la Bamba
7 - Presidents of the USA - Lump
9 - The Knack - My Sharona
11 - The Backstreet Boys - I Want it That way
12 - Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

5. Puff Daddy - "It's All About the Benjamins"
10. Taylor Hicks - "Do I Make You Proud?"
13. The Kinks - "Lola" (How is this one of the difficult ones???)
15. Men Without Hats - "The Safety Dance"

I don't remember "Couch Potato" at all. I'll probably kick myself when someone gets it or I recall it. Same with "Cavity Search."

I guess "Amish Paradise" and "Smells Like Nirvana" would have been too easy...

Side note tangentially related to #5: The second-biggest stroke of genius in Andy Samberg's 2005 SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE video "Lazy Sunday" (a/k/a "The Chronic-WHAT-cles of Narnia!") was having Samberg and Chris Parnell rapping "It's all about the Hamiltons, baby" as they regally pulled $10 bills out of their wallets. The SINGLE biggest stroke of genius was the follow-up line: "You can call us Aaron Burr/For the way we're dropping Hamiltons!"

Couch Potato was Weird Al's parody of Eminem's "Lose Yourself"

A related stroke of comedic genius can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad02rkHzeJ4

Sorry for taking so long to post all the answers to this round. You guys did pretty damn well. And you gave more information than Jennings wanted! I think he just wanted the artist name, but you went above and beyond. Kudos! Here's the answers...

1. Madonna
2. Queen
3. Green Day
4. James Brown
5. Puff Daddy
6. Ritchie Valens
7. The Presidents of the United States of America
8. Eminem
9. The Knack
10. Taylor Hicks
11. Backstreet Boys
12. Crash Test Dummies
13. The Kinks
14. U2
15. Men Without Hats

I believe the song in question for #14 was "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me." Hopefully Harold Wexler won't kick himself too much on that one. ROUND ELEVEN COMING SOON!

ROUND ELEVEN!

March 12, 1967: Suharto takes over from Sukarno as president of Indonesia. (No, they're not just being pretentious — lots of people from Java have just the one name.

MAKING A NAME FOR THEMSELVES: What one-named musicians have these last names?

Easy
1. Ciccone
2. Sarkisian LaPiere
3. Kilcher
4. Gudmondsdottir
5. Norwood

Harder
6. Haughton
7. Quintanilla
8. Douglas
9. Armstrong
10. Forte

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Leitch
12. Safka
13. Ockerse
14. Darwish
15. DiMucci

Fun game!

1. Madonna
2. Cher
4. Björk
6. Aaliyah
7. Selena?
14. Tiffany

3. Jewel
5. Brandy
15. Dion

Pretty sure #11 is Donovan. Wouldn't have a clue about the rest of 'em...

9.Dido
12.Melanie
13.Taco

Midaso,
11 is definitely Donovan. That aside, I'm stumped.

#10 is Fabian (late '50s teen idol).

I gotta admit, you guys are incredible! Just to let you know, you've gotten them all so far, except for #8. Bonus points to the person who can finish it off!

I Googled the answer to #8 just because I was curious. I'm not going to post it here, because that would be cheating, but I'll give a hint: #6 and #8 are not entirely dissimilar (except that #8 is still with us).

Is number 8 Ashanti? If so, she's like a D-grade Aaliyah, at best!

And that did it! Well done, all! Much, MUCH better than I could ever have hoped to do on my own! Here's the answers, all in one place...

1. Madonna
2. Cher
3. Jewel
4. Bjork
5. Brandy
6. Aaliyah
7. Selena
8. Ashanti
9. Dido
10. Fabian
11. Donovan
12. Melanie
13. Taco
14. Tiffany
15. Dion

ROUND TWELVE COMING SOON!

ROUND TWELVE!

I debated posting this one, because some of the answers for this round aren't music-related. But the majority are, so I decided to keep it. So if you can get the non-music ones, extra brownie points for you.

March 16, 1955: "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" hits number one, making it the first and last pop hit in which a three-year-old murders an animal.

SECRET BALLAD: Who's responsible for "The Ballad of..."

Easy
1. John and Yoko
2. The Green Berets
3. Reading Gaol
4. Jed Clampett

Harder
5. Cable Hogue
6. A Well-Known Gun
7. Billy the Kid
8. Thunder Road

Yeah, Good Luck
9. Bilbo Baggins
10. The Sad Café
11. A Thin Man
12. Peter Pumpkinhead

Matt Schroeder
ROUND TWELVE!

SECRET BALLAD: Who's responsible for "The Ballad of..."

Easy
1. John and Yoko= THE BEATLES
2. The Green Berets= SSGT (STAFF SERGEANT, I believe?) BARRY SADLER
3. Reading Gaol= ????
4. Jed Clampett= FLATT AND SCRUGGS

Harder
5. Cable Hogue= ????
6. A Well-Known Gun= ELTON JOHN
7. Billy the Kid=BILLY JOEL
8. Thunder Road=???

Yeah, Good Luck
9. Bilbo Baggins=LEONARD NIMOY
10. The Sad Café=???
11. A Thin Man=BOB DYLAN
12. Peter Pumpkinhead=XTC

The ones that Greg answered with question marks are, as Matt indicated, -not- songs, but "Ballads of..." from other media:

3. Reading Gaol - poem by Oscar Wilde
5. Cable Hogue - film by Sam Peckinpah
8. Thunder Road - this one -is- a song: the title song of the movie of the same name, sung by its star Robert Mitchum
10. The Sad Cafe - play by Carson McCullers

Wow. Only took two postings, and bingo! Even the non-music questions turned out to be easy. Or at least, easy for one person. Anyway, here's the answers, all in one place...

1. The Beatles
2. Barry Sadler
3. Oscar Wilde
4. Flatt and Scruggs
5. Sam Peckinpah
6. Elton John
7. Billy Joel
8. Robert Mitchum
9. Leonard Nimoy
10. Carson McCullers
11. Bob Dylan
12. XTC

ROUND THIRTEEN NEXT!

ROUND THIRTEEN!

I have no doubt that this one will be answered very quickly. Nevertheless...

March 18, 1918: The first oceangoing ship made of cement, a $750,000 pet project of San Francisco shipbuilder Leslie Comyn, is launched. It's christened the SS Faith, possibly because that's what you'd need a lot of in order to board a concrete ship.

FAITH NO MORE!: Who recorded the album called Faith that featured these songs?

1. "Primary" (1981)
2. "Father Figure" (1987)
3. "Soon as I Get Home" (1995)
4. "This Kiss" (1998)

1. The Cure
2. George Michael
4. Faith Hill

3. Faith Evans

I had a feeling numbers 1, 2, and 4 would be easy for you all and #3 might take some time. But here's the answers...

1. The Cure
2. George Michael
3. Faith Evans
4. Faith Hill

ROUND FOURTEEN COMING SOON!

ROUND FOURTEEN! Back to regular trivia again with no weird instructions.

March 25, 1983: During a Motown twenty-fifth anniversary TV special, the Supremes spontaneously reunite to sing "Someday We'll Be Together." That title starts to look pretty ironic midway through the song, when Diana Ross shoves Mary Wilson toward the back of the stage.

ALL TOGETHER NOW

1. Whose song "Together Again" was the very first track ever to appear on a U.S. Now That's What I Call Music! collection?
2. The BBC once banned the Beatles' "Come Together" for "advertising" what product in the lyrics?
3. What personal nickname of Mariah Carey was revealed by the title of the album that produced her comeback hit "We Belong Together"?
4. In 1967, what did The Ed Sullivan Show force the Rolling Stones to sing instead of the title of their song "Let's Spend the Night Together"?
5. In what film is Bruce Willis's first scene backed by Al Green's "Let's Stay Together"?

The easy ones :

3. Mimmy
5. Pulp Fiction

4: "Let's spend some time together", I seem to remember ... ?

1. would have to be Janet Jackson

2. I'm guessing Coca-Cola.

Bingo, five for five! Here's the answers, all in one place.

1. Janet Jackson
2. Coca-Cola
3. (The Emancipation of) Mimi
4. "Let's spend some time together"
5. Pulp Fiction

ROUND FIFTEEN IS NEXT!

ROUND FIFTEEN

ROUND FIFTEEN! I'm really curious to see just how well you all do on this one.

March 28, 2001: Sean "Puffy" Combs tells MTV News that in the wake of his acquittal on weapons charges, he's changing his name from "Puff Daddy" to "P. Diddy."

KEEPING IT REAL: Can you spot these hip-hop performers from their real names?

Easy
1. Christopher Wallace
2. Marshall Mathers
3. Calvin Broadus
4. Chris Bridges
5. Shawn Carter

Harder
6. O'Shea Jackson
7. Aliaune Thiam
8. James Smith
9. Earl Simmons
10. Robert Van Winkle

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Robert Diggs
12. Shad Moss
13. Clifford Harris
14. Artis Ivey
15. Dennis Coles

Re: ROUND FIFTEEN

1. The Notorious B.I.G.
2. Eminem
3. Snoop Dogg
4. Ludacris
5. Jay-Z

6. Ice Cube
8. LL Cool J
10. Vanilla Ice (From Jim Carrey's IN LIVING COLOR parody: "What's ya real name?" "Robert Van Winkle." "Why'd ya change it?" "Nothing rhymes with 'Winkle.'")

15. Ghostface Killah

7. Akon
13. T.I.

11. RZA
15. Ghostface Killah

I gotta say, you all did better than I thought you might have done. And collectively, you did better than I did on my own (I knew nine, and I was kicking myself on a couple of the others when I saw the answers). Anyway, here are the answers...

1. The Notorious B.I.G.
2. Eminem
3. Snoop Dogg
4. Ludacris
5. Jay-Z
6. Ice Cube
7. Akon
8. LL Cool J
9. DMX
10. Vanilla Ice
11. RZA
12. Bow Wow
13. T.I.
14. Coolio
15. Ghostface Killah

ROUND SIXTEEN IS NEXT!

ROUND SIXTEEN

ROUND SIXTEEN! Okay, after that last round of rap-themed questions, we get back to rock and roll. Something tells me this one will be more to everyone's liking. We'll see...

April 6, 1963: The Portland garage band The Kingsmen lays down a sloppy version of a Richard Berry song during a one-hour recording session. A Boston DJ plays the raucous song as his "Worst Record of the Week" and it catches on with listeners, surprising the Kingsmen by becoming a huge national hit.

HEY HEY, MY MY: What double-word song title was a hit single for these artists?

Easy
1. The Archies
2. Billy Idol
3. Paula Abdul
4. The Mamas and the Papas
5. Amy Grant

Harder
6. The Thompson Twins
7. Neil Diamond
8. Santana
9. Elvis Costello
10. David Bowie

Yeah, Good Luck
11. The Castaways
12. Naked Eyes
13. The New Christy Minstrels
14. Run-D.M.C.
15. The Beau Brummels

Re: ROUND SIXTEEN

Easy
1. The Archies - Sugar Sugar
4. The Mamas and the Papas - Monday, Monday

Harder
8. Santana - Maria, Maria
9. Elvis Costello - Radio, Radio
10. David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes (does that count ? )

Re: Nassim & #10... No.

10. David Bowie - Holy Holy

I'm going to guess Rebel Rebel for the David Bowie song.

2. Mony, Mony
3. Rush, Rush
5. Baby, Baby
6. Doctor, Doctor

11. The Castaways- Liar, Liar
13. The New Christy Minstrels- Green, Green
14. Run-D.M.C.- Mary, Mary
15. The Beau Brummels- Laugh, Laugh

Oh, and Neil Diamond- Cherry, Cherry

12. Naked Eyes - Promises Promises

Well, there seemed to be a touch of confusion over what #10 might be, but you guys managed to run the table on this one! Congrats! (On my own, I only managed to get six of them: 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, and 10.) Here's the answers for ya...

1. "Sugar, Sugar"
2. "Mony Mony"
3. "Rush Rush"
4. "Monday, Monday"
5. "Baby Baby"
6. "Doctor! Doctor!"
7. "Cherry, Cherry"
8. "Maria Maria"
9. "Radio Radio"
10. "Rebel Rebel"
11. "Liar Liar"
12. "Promises, Promises"
13. "Green, Green"
14. "Mary, Mary"
15. "Laugh Laugh"

ROUND SEVENTEEN FAST APPROACHING!

ROUND SEVENTEEN

ROUND SEVENTEEN! This ought to be VERY interesting...

April 16, 1977: David "Hutch" Soul becomes David "One-Hit Wonder" Soul when "Don't Give Up on Us" tops the charts. After that, we gave up on him.

A SENSE OF WONDER: Name the only Top Forty hit that — believe it or not — these music legends ever enjoyed.

Easy
1. Lou Reed
2. Devo
3. Janis Joplin
4. Carl Perkins
5. Radiohead

Harder
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Randy Newman
8. The Grateful Dead
9. Frank Zappa
10. T. Rex

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Iggy Pop
12. Rush
13. Bo Diddley
14. Nina Simone
15. Warren Zevon

Re: ROUND SEVENTEEN

Ok, those are bets, I have not checked anything :

Easy
1. Lou Reed : Take A Walk on the Wild Side
2. Devo : Whip It
3. Janis Joplin : Me and Bobby McGee
5. Radiohead : Creep

Harder
6. Jimi Hendrix : All Along the Watchtower
10. T. Rex : Get It On (Bang A Bong)

Yeah, Good Luck
11. Iggy Pop : In The Death Car
12. Rush : Tom Sawyer
13. Bob Diddley : I'm A Man
14. Nina Simone : My baby just care for me
15. Warren Zevon[/quote]

Re: Rush, about one top-40 hit too many if you ask me. What a godawful band.

8. The Grateful Dead- "Touch of Grey"

Re: ROUND SEVENTEEN

I'll just take a stab at all of these I guess.

Easy:

1. Lou Reed- Walk on the Wild Side
2. Devo- Whip It
3. Janis Joplin- Me and Bobby McGee
4. Carl Perkins- Blue Suede Shoes
5. Radiohead- Creep

Harder
6. Jimi Hendrix- Foxy Lady
7. Randy Newman- Short People
8. The Grateful Dead- Touch of Grey
9. Frank Zappa- ?
10. T. Rex- Bang a Gong