Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
yay! i get it

i finally understand what's so great about bruce springsteen. i've certainly taken my time with this one but time well spent i think. otherwise i might still not be able to appreciate his undeniably fantastic albums.

i'm starting to warm to led zep too, which is great.

Re: yay! i get it

cool

see, this is why i didn't participate in the survivor game. i knew that i would regret voting off whoever i voted for.

Awesome. So was there any single album that did it?

I remember I took awhile to warm to Springsteen because I wasn't crazy about Born To Run, Born In The USA, and Devils & Dust. But then I heard The Wild, The Innocent; Darkness On The Edge Of Town; The River; Tunnel of Love; and We Shall Overcome. So I went back to the first two and found myself loving them eventually. Still not crazy about Devils & Dust, but I've enjoyed his other 2000s albums.

For me, he was by far the top 20 artist that took me the longest to appreciate.

Springsteen just recently clicked for me too. I already liked Nebraska, but I didn't like his 'big sound' stuff till this year.

I still don't get Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here might be a candidate for my all time top 100, but I can't get into Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall at all.

I think in those two albums they try really hard to be clever and emotionally deep, whereas in Wish You Were Here they just try to write a good song without tricks or gimmicks, and they do sound emotionally deep.

Springsteen is only just starting to "click" with me, too. NEBRASKA is the album that did it for me. Reminds me of the starkness of Johnny Cash's AMERICAN RECORDINGS.

I can't believe I forgot Nebraska in the list of albums that finally got me into The Boss.

And Pink Floyd. They're an interesting case. As a kid I liked Dark Side and The Wall but now, not so much. I also liked Meddle and Wish You Were Here from the beginning, and they still haven't gotten old. And in recent years I've discovered their lesser known stuff such as Animals, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, A Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured By Clouds and The Final Cut, which are all more challenging and repeatedly enjoyable than Dark Side and The Wall. So, in the end, still a top band to me, but NOT for their big classics.

yeah, twas born in the U.S.A. in particular the songs "i'm on fire" and "dancing in the dark". i've gone back to listen to born to run again and i'm really enjoying the first two tracks off that as well. since everyone here is speaking so positively about nebraska, i might have to go out and grab myself a copy soon.

Darkness on the edge of town did it for me and now I feel stupid that I resisted the guy for so long. I think i might have been put off my Born to run.

Sean: Interesting you don't mention Piper.

Are you saying, if I like Wish You Were Here but not Dark Side, I should get Meddle and avoid The Wall?

Another band I don't 'get' is The Eagles. Since my purchase of Live At The Apollo this morning, Hotel California is the only album left in the AM top 100 I don't own. But I haven't liked any Eagles songs I've heard. They all come off to me like they're melodramatizing a lot of social cliches.

I don't get Pink Floyd and Neil Young myself. Just can't can't get into their music at all.

i think i just got astral weeks.