The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ten reissue

Thoughts?

The most noticeable thing to me is how "Alive" is completely different. The solo in the last third of the song is radically different, as is the way it interacts with Veddar's singing.

After only one listen (on Rhapsody, mind you), the better production is only slightly noticeable. I'm trying to tell if it really is not as glossy and reberb-ish as the original release. My biggest complaint about the album all this time has been its big, glossy production.

Re: Ten reissue

Where's Anthony?

This has got to be the most dead message board in history.

Legacy shipped it to me a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

This has got to be the most dead message board in history.
------------------------------------------
Maybe, but at least people write in complete sentences. Well, except for Netjade.

and she never

An interesting new twist on Pearl Jam's worst album. Still one of the best releases of the year. Did it need such a treatment though? It's a solid grunge album but Vs, Vitalogy, and No Code are light years ahead. The new mixes do sound just different enough to warrant a few listens.

I just got it today and...

YES!!! This is EXACTLY what the album needed. I always knew the songs were solid behind that ugly production. O' Brian works wonders in the new mix. There's a sense of drive, urgency, and force behind these songs that you could never hear before. Does anyone else agree?

I love Ten, it's one of my favorite albums. That being said, I have always wished it was produced a little more like Vs. or Vitalogy. After listening to Ten Redux though I've realized how tied to the original I am. I found myself missing the big, reverberating original mix the whole time I was listening to the new mix.

I was also a bit disappointed with the bonus tracks. They had so much great material from that time period to work with, it would have been great to have all the b-sides and unreleased tracks that ended up on Lost Dogs here on the reissue instead. I guess that's a minor complaint, it's not like I don't already have those songs, it would just be cool to hear them in the context of when they were recorded.

Even if you like Vitalogy, Vs, and No Code, are we conveniently forgetting Yield exists?

I'm not a big Pearl Jam fan, but all the songs of theirs I like are on Ten. Can't really find much I like on Vitalogy. Ten definitely needed a little more work.

Chris
I love Ten, it's one of my favorite albums. That being said, I have always wished it was produced a little more like Vs. or Vitalogy. After listening to Ten Redux though I've realized how tied to the original I am. I found myself missing the big, reverberating original mix the whole time I was listening to the new mix.

I was also a bit disappointed with the bonus tracks. They had so much great material from that time period to work with, it would have been great to have all the b-sides and unreleased tracks that ended up on Lost Dogs here on the reissue instead. I guess that's a minor complaint, it's not like I don't already have those songs, it would just be cool to hear them in the context of when they were recorded.

I think it's inevitable to miss what you've been used to hearing for nearly 20 years. If it'd been produced by Brandon O'Brian originally and then the "big-arena-rock" production came out this year, I'm pretty sure nobody would be able to stand it and they'd be praising Brandon's mix to no end.