Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bruce Springsteen's Upcoming Album

i just got my latest issue of Rolling Stone, which gave it 5 stars and an ecstatic review making parallels to Born to Run (though i doubt it could be remotely that good). This may or may not mean anything because RS would love anything Bruce puts on record, but then i think: is it at all inconceivable that he could've made an album worthy of 5 stars? It is after all, Bruce Springsteen.

So anyways I don't really think this means anything more than ill be looking into this album when it comes out on the 27th.

Thoughts?

Re: Bruce Springsteen's Upcoming Album

I got it today, so I'll give it a listen tonight and let you know what I think. In general I'm a Springsteen fan, but not a huge one. I think, as usual, that RS rating is inflated.

I really like it. But then again, I like pretty much everything Springsteen releases, so what do I know.

I’m not the Springsteen connoisseur that Nicolas is, but after a couple of listens I’m not all that impressed. I like “Devils and Dust” and “Magic” quite a bit better. After a couple of listens, it sounds a little like Springsteen lite. The RS review was just hyperbole as far as I’m concerned. Not that it’s terrible, though, just seems sorta average for the Boss. That's still pretty good by some standards.

I agree that 5 stars is a little bit too much. I'd still give it an 8/10 though.

After hearing the leak, I think it is a great album, but yeah, this is no ***** record.

I'm a bit afraid to listen to it because I'm not a fan of Brendan O'Brien's production. I think it doesn't fit with Bruce, but anyway I really liked only 50 % of his recordings since Born in The USA (none of which were poroduced by Brendan F.. O'Brien)

I like a lot of what he did, but there's also a lot of his stuff I don't like.

I'll look at Bruce Springsteen's new album when it gets good reviews from a source that would actually give it a bad review if it weren't good. (Basically anything that isn't Rolling Stone).

The Washington Post was pretty down on it today, saying it was full of cliche, lazy lyrics and a subpar album in the Springsteen canon.

However, I love Springsteen so I'll have to give it a shot.

How about Springsteen winning the Golden Globe but not being considered for the Oscar song?

Rolling Stone always gives Bruce 5 star ratings. They gave To The 5 Boroughs by Beastie Boys and Goddess In The Doorway by Mick Jagger 5 stars so they don't what their writing about nowadays. Don't read anything that features the cast of the Hills, High School Musical and the Jonas Brothers on the cover and expect them to know what they're writing about. They're a glorified Teen Beat

i like rolling stone and trust their ratings more than most other publications. they have a bit more historical perspective and aren't as susceptible to passing trends as certain other publications. haven't heard the new bruce yet but will weigh in when i have

tim, their coverage of other things pop culture discredits their music journalism?

but every other album they review they give 3.5 stars which seems like a total cop out. It's like saying we might like this album if other publications like it but since it's only 3.5 we can also go back on what we said if the album gets poor reviews. I want them to state whether they like an album or not and not pussyfoot around and go back on their word. If an album is getting enough hype or if an older critically acclaimed puts something out they usually go with the hype and jump on the bandwagon instead of stepping up and standing their ground.

4/5 in Rock & Folk, album of the month

Tim, I agree that Rolling Stone is guilty of grade inflation these days for certain older acts, but isn't it reasonable that they would give a 7 out of 10 (3.5/5) or between good and excellent to alot of albums?

Rolling Stone doesn't follow newer trends as much, and there's value in that, but it doesn't excuse rewarding the copying of previous greats, and it doesn't excuse penalizing innovation.

Didn't Rolling Stone have 'A Bigger Bang' in its top ten that year?

For them, artists doing pale mimickries of their younger selves is pure brilliance.

4/5 in The Sunday Times. CD of the week.