Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
deezer!!! (the future of Acclaimed Music?)

Thanks nicolas for introducing me and everyone here to deezer. Those playlists are awesome!

I got the idea that a playlist could be created for every list, album, etc. at Acclaimed Music and I have made a first playlist of the "Pet Sounds" album. If you go to the "Pet Sounds" page at AM, the playlist is there, ready to be played by anyone without any cost! I know this sounds too good to be true, but (given that deezer is legal) I don't see why I couldn't do this.

First I'd like to sort out if there are any obstacles in the way. Then this is definitely an area where I would appreciate assistance. We could make Acclaimed Music the most useful site on the internet! (Or am I only dreaming?)

Re: deezer!!! (the future of Acclaimed Music?)

Logically you don't have to make a play list for every album, just click on the name of the album and you get on all the songs it has.
But it would be great to create playlists.
Creating them for every list might be a little much, but creating for instance the AM3000 (with the songs available of course, which would lead to something like the AM2500 I guess) or the top 100 by decades or our poll results etc. would be really cool.

In fact I'm a bit sorry for introducing you with Deezer so late, because I've been using it for over a year now . I really thought I had, but...
I've discovered the playlist very late

Henrik, I think posting material found on Deezer is legal, but not if you add your own mp3s in the playlists(you can do that but I guess it is your responsability then).

Yes, a playlist for every AM list would not be needed and just cause a lot of extra work.

For the songs not on deezer.com, as nicolas mentioned you can upload your own mp3's. An example of this is now uploaded for the top 10 songs of all time (with Stairway to Heaven taken from my hard drive). The playlist can be found on the AM top 3000 songs page.

Oops, I guess I should have read your post nicolas, before adding that LZ song.

I think it is a great idea. However i am very much against using anything not legally released. I would suggest only adding the music available and legal. No, private mp3's. Henrik might end up in trouble by doing that. Still i think it will be a hugh boost for the site. First, because i believe the coverage will be sufficiently large anyway. And second, I realy think also the trickiest rightsholders will in the end have to give in. By being the odd ones not available for streaming it will put quite a lot of preasure on these lables. By only using released artists we realy helps Deezer and other streaming services in their battle for good legal music services.

Stariway to heaven removed.

That's wonderful!

Although I'm still not completely finished with the RYM links , how can I assist you in this deezer project?

it's funny because it's always the hard rock bands (ac/dc, metallica, led zep, guns n'roses) that are the trickiest rightholders.
Not only they sing like cavemen, but they act like cavemen (I love hard rock and those bands but sometimes they should evolve with their time).
Since I started my blog, the only time I got into trouble was when posting Gunsn'Roses videos and songs.
They deleted my post with no advice.

Evolving with time is not cool ... singing and acting like cavemen IS cool. And what about the Fleet Foxes? Don't they look like cavemen?

It turned out that this was not as straight forward as I thought. For the AM all-time top 20 songs, I have had the following issues:

1 song not available ("Stairway to Heaven")
1 song with an inferior version (I had to use "A Day in the Life" from "1967-1970". Sgt.Pepper is available at deezer.com but doesn't show up in my playlist at AM...)
1 song that only plays the first 30 seconds ("Love Will Tear Us Apart")
2 songs where I had to try several sources before I found one that played the whole song, and not only 30 seconds ("Respect" and "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay")

As far as I can tell, you can't see at deezer.com if a song will be played in full in a playlist posted on the web (all songs are complete when you play them at deezer.com). For every song, I have to include it in a playlist, publish the list on the web and listen to the song to check that it is complete.

yes, there are flaws on each of these sites..

What would really be nice is if you could copy a playlist link for each album, without having to make your own playlists. Of course the tracks then have to play in the original order. At deezer the order of the tracks are often messed up and I don't think it's possible to re-sort by track number either (unless you make your own playlist), which is quite annoying.

I guess this is doable with spotify. Where every single album and song already has its uniqe playlist tag. The drawback with using spotify is the still limited global coverage. As i understand, the ad funded survice is available in scandinavia, UK, France and Spain. And the subscription version is available in the rest of europe. So bad luck for you guys in the States. But i think it is something similar you need to use achieve what you want Henrik. Is there other similar services out there? It has to be? At least in my part of the world this kind of services is realy booming. I've been using spotify for a few month now and their lable coverage is getting better and bettre. Of last years top 100 albums, i would say that at least 80% is available. And for older stuff i would say the coverage is even better.

If you want to check it out here is the home page.
http://www.spotify.com/en/

Yes, spotify is more robust than deezer, but the Europe-only availability is a huge drawback. Maybe we just have to wait a few months and there will be a service that combines the best of both worlds?