The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Forum Poll: The Best Songs of the 1980s Results

With the album results done, the song results are up. The format will be almost the same, except for the inclusion of youtube videos for most songs (I reckon some Prince songs may be hard to find). I'll probably post them 5 at a time.

Biggest fans will still be people who've placed the album in their top 25, unless there are more than 5 people who put it in their top 25 in which case I'll take the 5 highest rankings.

Re: Forum Poll: The Best Songs of the 1980s Results

Sonofsamiam and Honorio: I went to my parents' house for the weekend and took the comments file with me on a USB-stick, but the order of the comments seem to be all screwed up. Could you resend the comments to neoptolemos.com@gmail.com so I can include them in the posting of these songs? Sorry for the inconvenience, but there's some really good comments from both of you.. it would be a shame to not have them included.

Ah, nevermind. I see what I did now, pasted them all one row too high, which after reordering them made it seem like a large mess. I will proceed with the first 5 songs in a little bit.

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long (1980)

Score: 817 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas (#14), Stephan (#14), Harold Wexler (#1

Comments:
A masterpiece of minimalism, performance art, and making repetition beautiful. The references to answering machines and other early-‘80s "modernities" only make it more enjoyable. (I wonder how well such early oughts references will play out 25 years down the road? I'm looking for my 8-minute ironic pop ode to texting, stat!) (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1980 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 56

The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up (1981)

Score: 823 points

Biggest fans:
Greg Rumpff (#13), SuperFurry (#16), Miguel (#1

Comments:
None

Place in the 1981 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 85

Mission Of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver (1981)

Score: 837 points

Biggest fans:
SuperFurry (#1), BillAdama (#2), Jonah (#3), Harold Wexler (#4), LonesomePanda (#4)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1981 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 137

The Replacements - Alex Chilton (1987)

Score: 840 points

Biggest fans:
Andre (#2), Toni (#3), Jonah (#4), Snusmumrik (#5), Harold Wexler (#9), Michel (#9)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1987 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 222

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)

Score: 844 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas (#2), Adrian (#3), tremolo (#3), SuperFurry (#4), Netjade (#5)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1986 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 218

Well, fuck me running. It's like I'm retarded today, pressed the wrong button while in the middle of editing the biggest fans. I'll just give you the correct biggest fans and save the rest for tomorrow. Sigh.

Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver: John (#6), Harold Wexler (#14)
The Replacements - Alex Chilton: John (#7), Lonesomepanda (#17)
Metallica - Master Of Puppets: John (#14), Sonofsamiam (#14), Henrik (#20)

Honorio's comment for 'Start Me Up': Tired self-parody of earlier triumphs. Start me up? Shut it off.
Honorio's comment for 'Master of Puppets': This epic has everything that metal could hope to achieve – brute strength, virtuosic playing, heavy lyrics that actually mean something, smart use of dynamics, beautiful calming moments that set you up for more brute strength, etc. What the hell happened to this band?

Stephan, I put Alex Chilton at 19 not 17 and should be on the biggest fans of Master of Puppets (put it #12).
I hope I haven't messed with the Songs ID...

Looks like a bad start for John...

Can't believe that "You Shook Me" is # 100
Why ? ?? Why so much hatred ?
it's a fucking great rock'n roll song !

I was joking of course when i said "why so much hatred"
But I love that song anyway

Funny
Even songs at #90-100 were #2 or 3 in individual polls !

...The references to answering machines and other early-‘80s "modernities" only make it more enjoyable.

she is a fast machine, just start talking at the sound of the tone...

Stephan, I think Sonofsamian's comment on "Yoy Shook Me" was some other song's comment.

Nothing about answering machines in "You Shook Me"
It is just a song about making love (no need for an answering machie)

nj, hahaha

i'm guessing it was for o superman (which should be the real #100, not ac/dc - better yet, not on the list at all...

it was my number 100 too

Greg, you and I are totally in sync on that "O Superman" ... thing. (I can't even call it a song). And I actually quite like Laurie Anderson's "Strange Angels"

Yeah, I completely screwed that one up. I wasn't nearly done and instead of edit message I clicked post message.

LonesomePanda: I'll look into it.

Laurie Anderson was my 100 too!
Must have had some real high votes to avoid the bottom of the final results !

the usual suspected tremolo/sonofsamiam/nj_mob, I guess. just grow up with us...

Never! lol, but your fingerprints were all over this one.

I have "O Superman" at #36 so I'm not a biggest fan, but I really like to have it in the game as a refreshing alternative to all the rock songs.

"You Shook Me", one of the more tired songs from "Back in Black", is my #89.

It looks like the Stones fans left somewhere between March and December.

Sorry Stephan but the comments you posted on "Start Me Up" and "Master of Puppets" are not mine. Just resent you my comments to both stephan@neoptolemos.com and neoptolemos@gmail.com

Bad start indeed! Man, those are two of my favorite songs of any decade. What's the deal, have people just not heard these songs?

Which ones, john ? You shook me and start me up ? I'm with you on thes ones

I would think that John would be more an Alex Chilton guy ! Don't know for the other one.
Quite a deception to see Alex Chilton that low, one of my favourite discovery of the poll.
Sad for Master of Puppets too, but I'm less surprised.

O Superman had been my #100 for a long time, until in the last day for sending the lists I heard it for the 3rd time and it jumped to #88! It's a much bizarre song, cause although it had everything to be completely awful, it's able to grow on you each audition. I remember in my first listening of the song it seemed to be neverending!

Alex Chilton and That's When I Reach For My Revolver, both in my top 10.

And Master of Puppets too I guess... #14 for me.

I didn't vote, but I wish I would have now seeing that 4 of the worst 5 would have likely made my top 25. (Come on! I love AC/DC!) And yeah, O Superman would have been 100 for me too.

Crap. We're doing a 70s poll right?

O Superman wasn't my 100 because I didn't vote on 10-11 songs but it was the worst on my list. What the heck? Must have had a ton of high votes. I doubt it gets out of the 90 range though.

Yep, the comment for "You Shook Me..." is actually my comment for "O Superman" (which is GREAT, you heathens!) - however, I much prefer the comment just where it is at this point.

Also, the quotes attributed to Honorio were mine. I want credit for that "Start Me Up" slag!

Actually, this quote:

A masterpiece of minimalism, performance art, and making repetition beautiful.

could definitely work for most of AC/DC's output, couldn't it?

Lonesomepanda: No errors in your submission, just another mistake from my part. Sorry!

Yes, yes, yes!!!! AC/DC can burn in hell for that song! If I had to make a list of my least favorite songs of all time, "You Shook Me All Night Long" would be in the top 10! Nauseating vocals (and I like some weird voices), cringe-worthy machismo posturing and its adoption as some sort of bar anthem for the drunk and delusional puts it over the top!

So nicolas, you CAN blame me for the hatred! I'll willfully own up to it! I know that I'm in the vast minority with that opinion (as I am with many other of my musical opinions), but it's my loss, I suppose!

I had never heard "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" or "Alex Chilton" before, but they both impressed me when I listened to them, and none of them made the bottom quarter for me in this highly competitive poll. I found that I really do love most of these 100 songs, and it's hard to fathom ranking a song that I quite enjoy as low as 80 in "Master of Puppets". Basically, great job in picking, everyone! I even found the first Dylan song that I like!

My wife is a huge AC/DC fan and I really don't like much from them. I like it when I haven't heard it long enough but I can't really take Bon Scott or Brian Johnson's voice for too long.

Jesus! look at all the comments, and we're only five songs into this list.
Quick poll question: Which is worse, "O Superman" or the movie "Superman 4"? I'm actually going to go with the movie on this one, although both make me want to go back in time and slap Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Just to clarify, that's "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace"

"O Superman" made it to a nice #26 on my list. Immediately disarming and moving, it's one of those songs where I can remember the first time I heard it, and I feel like a more enlightened person for it!

I found it disarming, too. But that's probably because I tried to gnaw off my arms in an effort to distract myself from what was happening in my ears. Just kidding ... well, sorta.

I certainly remember the first time I heard 'O Superman' but not in a good way - it was my #100. I think AC/DC were #98 or #99. Damn - with all these low votes for 'O Superman',there must some fairly high ones to drag it up - it will have to be the most polarizing song of the top 100.

I'm really sorta shocked people hate "O Superman" so much. Little bit of ambient, little bit of minimalism, both pathos and humor in there. And possibly the least likely Top 10 hit ever?

(Wonder how it would fare on here if David Byrne had done it?)

Ok songs all the way, songs we liked in the first place...

Hey, boys, fascinating debate. ‘O Superman’ vs. ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’. I mean, cool vs. hot, brain vs. balls, innovation vs. tradition. Well, I’m not a particular fan on any of the artists, although I (moderately) enjoy both “Big Science” and “Back in Black”. Btw, “Back in Black”, the song, could be a better choice, with an intelligent riff, if I’m allowed to use “intelligent” and “AC/DC” within he same sentence. But in my case the election is crystal clear: Laurie was my #65 y AC/DC #98 (sorry Nicolas)

AC DC is just one of the best blues-rock bands ever
but no one cares for the blues here

'O Superman' is a little over 11% more popular than 'You Shook Me All Night Long' on this forum. Next 5 songs will be up in a bit. Hopefully no mistakes this time.

By the way Nicolas, as my presence in the biggest fans of AC/DC shows, I'm with you all the way. I had 'O Superman' at 84.

The Church - Under The Milky Way (198

Score: 855 points

Biggest fans:
Mitchell Stirling (#25)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1988 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 302

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking (1986)

Score: 861 points

Biggest fans:
SuperFurry (#10, Mitchell Stirling (#11), pop elton (#22), Snusmumrik (#25)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1986 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 233

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World (1985)

Score: 887 points

Biggest fans:
Midaso (#3), Greg (#5), Greg Rumpff (#9)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1985 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 386

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (1985)

Score: 889 points

Biggest fans:
Greg Rumpff (#5), Jonah (#6), BillAdama (#25)

Comments:
What once seemed edgy is now so boring. And that headband … for shame, Mr. Knopfler, for shame. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1985 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 419

The Replacements - I Will Dare (1984)

Score: 896 points

Biggest fans:
Harold Wexler (#12), John (#16), LonesomePanda (#1 , tremolo (#19), Rocky Raccoon (#22)

Comments:
This distills everything good about them – it's ragged yet tuneful, rocking but with an air of exhaustion. And it stands out of time. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1984 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 142

Glad to see Laurie in top 90. Hope she's in top 85 (I guess it's impossible to be higher with 907 (or 908) points.)
I was wondering are we starting again with the Stones but not this time. #99 is good place to them too.
AC/DC was my #99 so I think this list has started with right songs.

yeah AC/DC is a love/hate thing
Like The Smiths

Disappointing showing for Tears for Fears - I just love that song. Guess it's a bit too mainstream for this list...

I like "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" well enough, but I really wish "Shout" had been in the top 100. Or "Head Over Heels", but my affection for that song is irrevocably tied to its use in the brilliant high-school tracking shot in Richard Kelly's DONNIE DARKO (which also makes startlingly effective use of "The Killing Moon" and "Under the Milky Way").

Public Enemy - Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos (198

Score: 904 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#10), Rocky Raccoon (#17), Netjade (#25), Sonofsamiam (#25), LonesomePanda (#25)

Comments:
Prison insurrection never sounded so good. (Honorio)

Place in the 1988 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 370

Metallica - One (198

Score: 905 points

Biggest fans:
LonesomePanda (#3), Nicolas (#6), pop elton (#12)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1988 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 364

Laurie Anderson - O Superman (1981)

Score: 910 points

Biggest fans:
tremolo (#4), Sonofsamiam (#6), Netjade (#1 , Michel (#20)

Comments:
A masterpiece of minimalism, performance art, and making repetition beautiful. The references to answering machines and other early-‘80s "modernities" only make it more enjoyable. (I wonder how well such early oughts references will play out 25 years down the road? I'm looking for my 8-minute ironic pop ode to texting, stat!) (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1988 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 69

Run-D.M.C. - Walk This Way (1986)

Score: 916 points

Biggest fans:
Toni (#11), Nicolas (#12), SuperFurry (#17)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1986 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 9

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls (1985)

Score: 917 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#16), Greg Rumpff (#17), Henrik (#17), Adrian (#25), Toni (#25)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1985 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 68

Interestingly, to add to the AC/DC vs Laurie discussion, Laurie won the overall battle but does seem to have the most 'haters'. O Superman got a total of 5 #100 spots. AC/DC only had 2.

I remember I cried the first time I heard the final solo of One, I don't even know why, but it is one of the most striking musical memories I have.

A little disappointed to see the Metallica songs so low. But then, I was positively surprised to see them getting to the final.

Billy Bragg - A New England (1983)

Score: 925 points

Biggest fans:
Sonofsamiam (# , Netjade (#11), LonesomePanda (#20), tremolo (#25)

Comments:
Where MacColl took Billy Bragg's lovely song, added a verse, some production gloss, a decidedly female take, an accentuation on melody, and therefore absolutely kicked the ass of (the admittedly fine) original all over the room. One of the great ‘'80s singles from an artist that doesn't get nearly her proper due. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1983 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 313

R.E.M. - So. Central Rain (198

Score: 931 points

Biggest fans:
Andre (#4), Miguel (#22), Michel (#24)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1988 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 389

The Jam - That's Entertainment (1980)

Score: 942 points

Biggest fans:
Michel (#6), John (#17)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1980 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 71

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold (1989)

Score: 948 points

Biggest fans:
Andre (#7), Fred (#15), Netjade (#16)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1989 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 18

Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype (198

Score: 959 points

Biggest fans:
Honorio (#10), Adrian (#11), otisredding (#17), SuperFurry (#25)

Comments:
Every musician in his right mind accepts gladly the hype. Probably they wouldn’t admit it easily, but I can imagine them looking to the end of year lists to see their position. But not Public Enemy, even when they really were talking about the hype from the mass media they slipped a line like this one: “Writers treat me like Coltrane, insane”. Amazing. (Honorio)

Place in the 1988 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 89

Dammit, my 3 favourite discoveries of the poll are out ! Billy Bragg and the 2 Replacement Songs (while I really don't like Unsatisfied...)
Since the discoveries I like tend to make bad scores, This Mortail Coil should come soon ^^
(I think that are 4 of the 5 songs which I have discovered AND really liked, considering that I had never heard about 30 songs of the poll)

rap and metal are the main victims of this poll.
Too bad.

Elvis Costello - I Want You (1986)

Score: 962 points

Biggest fans:
Henrik (#6), Fred (#15), Netjade (#20), Adrian (#21)

Comments:
The best of all stalker songs? (Sonofsamiam)
The most harsh and intense love song, about a love that scares him to death, about the hurting of betrayal. “I want you / I’m not ashamed to say I cried for you”. (Honorio)

Place in the 1986 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 159

Public Enemy - Bring The Noise (1987)

Score: 963 points

Biggest fans:
Netjade (#3), Sonofsamiam (#3)

Comments:
Still one hell of a statement of intent, despite, or perhaps because of, references of Yoko Ono, Sonny Bono, and Anthrax. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1987 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 19

The Clash - Rock The Casbah (1982)

Score: 965 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#11), Greg Rumpff (#12), Toni (#12), Snusmumrik (#15)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1982 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 64

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (1989)

Score: 969 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#7), Henrik (#10), Netjade (#10), Honorio (#20), Greg Rumpff (#20)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1989 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 150

Roxy Music - More Than This (1982)

Score: 969 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#2), Miguel (#4), Moonbeam (#25)

Comments:
Those ethereal guitar sounds may come from the 50s but created a ghostly atmosphere contemporary and in par with David Lynch disturbing universes. (Honorio)

Place in the 1982 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 231

23 of my top 25 are still left. So I can't complain. Hope many of those are in top 50.

Is Honororio's comment mend to be comment of Wicked Game (or did I miss some Lynch moments in More Than This)?

So Central Rain is from 1984.

Oops and oops again. You're completely right.

Bring the Noise that low is an absolute travesty.

Also a travesty - I misread/assumed/subliminally hoped that the version of "A New England" was Kirsty MacCool's effervescently poppy version rather than Bragg's original. I mean, great song either way, but Kirsty wipes the floor with Billy.

Doesn't seem to be alot of Public Enemy fans here.

just put out the words "Public Enemy" and replace it by "rap"

... and I like rap and PE

Stephan, some tiny mistakes about the comments: the one for “Black Steel” was not mine and my comment that you posted for “More Than This” was really for “Wicked Game”.

Oops, sorry, popelton, you noticed that mistake before, I haven’t read your comment.

I'm kind of conflicted on Wicked Game. I think the guitar part of the song is beautiful, but the gushingly-oversensitive-yet-obviously-insincere vocals are symbolic of everything wrong with 80's synth-pop.

Most of my favorites are still in.

Hey, has anyone ever thought of doing a music video poll? I haven't really watched any since I gave up on MTV in 1998 or so, but a few of them I remember are brilliant.

chris isaak = '80s synth-pop?

"I Want You" was one of my discoveries. I love the intro. Roy Orbisonesque.

I have 15 rap albums on my top 100 (so I guess I'm among the rare hip-hop listeners of the forum) but I'm not a great fan of PE... I like old school hip-hop (especially what I have discovered thanks to the pitchfork 500, Slick Rick, Funky 4+1, other Grandmaster Flash than The Message...), I like the cold sound of the Wu Tang, I like the Daisy Age, I like electronic hip-hop such as Spank Rock, I like recent inventive rap (Missy, Jay-Z, Outkast, Kanye...) and I am a huge fan of the Beastie Boys. And still, even if I see how much all of them are related in a way or an other to PE legacy, I still don't find much of their song appealing... don't like their flow, don't like their samples...
I even prefer Tricky version of Black Steel, while it is my favourite PE Song !

first: my deepest apologies, Michel, for having excluded you from our yearly. polly. mighty messy Massanet El Vocoda Rancho Buncho Meeting Grave.....

and second: Bring The Noise.

period.

-

I'm a little surprised the Public Enemy songs didn't do better. "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" did finish 9th in the albums poll.

I'm also a little surprised that the PE songs all showed up so soon. I actually have Bring the Noise at #19, so I should be counted as a biggest fan.

Maybe it's because there is no stand-out song in the album ? Everyone has their own favorite and the votes are spreaded ?

Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure (1981)

Score: 973 points

Biggest fans:
Snusmumrik (#5), LonesomePanda (#10), Jonah (#11), Toni (#16)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1981 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 164

Bob Dylan - Blind Willie McTell (1983)

Score: 975 points

Biggest fans:
Sonofsamiam (#4), Mo (#11), John (#13), Nicolas (#15), otisredding (#22)

Comments:
It's testament to how off-track Dylan got in the ‘80s that he decided not to release this, surely his best, most major work in years. Thank goodness for the Bootleg sessions, so more people could be exposed to this incredible, note-perfect homage to the blues master. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1983 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 230

Talking Heads - Burning Down The House (1983)

Score: 976 points

Biggest fans:
John (# , Miguel (#13), Jonah (#16), Fred (#1

Comments:
This sounded like it came from a completely other world when it blasted out of my little radio in 1983. Takes the polyrhythms explored on Remain in Light and sweetens them up a bit for pop radio, though the whole thing is pretty insane, Byrne's vocal especially. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1983 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 179

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A. (1984)

Score: 976 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan (# , Nicolas (#10), Snusmumrik (#14), Harold Wexler (#15), Greg Rumpff (#20)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1984 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 27

Sorry about that lovely nationalistic video, the normal one can't get embedded.

Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing (1982)

Score: 987 points

Biggest fans:
Miguel (#1), Greg Rumpff (#14), otisredding (#16), Nicolas (#20), Fred (#21)

Comments:
The swan song of Gaye was one of his best songs, with pure sensuality emanating from a blanket of synthesizers and music boxes. (Honorio)

Place in the 1982 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 16

So all the songs about sex are gone ???

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up (1989)

Score: 992 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas (#1), Henrik (#1), Netjade (#1), Honorio (#12), Moonbeam (#13)

Comments:
Indubitably one of the defining moments of the 80s. (Sonofsamiam)
One of my all-time favorite songs! (Honorio)

Place in the 1987 poll: Wildcard

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: Undeservedly not even bubbling!

Stephan, there is a mistake: This song is also my number 1

Ah, I'm sorry otis. It's hard to focus when listening to such an incredibly beautiful song.

Stephan, I'm not sure if you picked the worst song you know, but I don't feel humiliated by that first place. I agree with Sonofsamiams comment and I like 80s music, so I guess I like the song as well. Barry White's '70s milestone "Never Never Gonna Give You Up" was just a little bit better.

Actually someone just Rickroll'd me, and I realized it was from the 80s, so I figured I'd post it. I don't think it's the worst song of the 80s, not by a long shot. I secretly enjoy listening to that song once in a while.

When it came out (Rick Astley) it was so good I thought it was the new Neil Young (or Springsteen, I couldn't tell)

Oh no! I thought this forum was safe from Rickrolling! I should never let my guard down.

Never Gonna Give You Up... A truly groundbreaking piece of work. Especially the video...get better for each time you listen to it.

Yes, and based on that brilliant video and his outstanding public performances thereafter, he got voted for best dressed man of the world!

Wouldn't you be thrilled, if you could just have an autograph from him?

why does all the arty rank so low this time... come on, it's my #1..

I can't see the cover art (except on Metallica's "One"). Is it only me or is it everyone's case too?

I guess it's everyone

The cover art is all olive-green squares to me, so you aren't the only one.

no. lots of square shaped baby pea puke for me, too.

just throw off some more falafel mush on it, glue some blank coloured kitchenware pics inbetween, and at least we'll have some nice early Neville Brody artwork so far!

Strange, it seems like rateyourmusic images only work for a little while.. I'm sure they worked when I first posted them.

Tom Waits - Time (1985)

Score: 992 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas (#4), Sonofsamiam (#5), Greg (#13), BillAdama (#24), Fred (#25)

Comments:
An emotional., traditional core in the midst of all the other wonderful ‘n' wacky goings-on on Rain Dogs – this proves that Waits still could write a ballad when he wanted to, and could still deliver something utterly timeless. Heart-rending and perfect. (Sonofsamiam)

Place in the 1985 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: Bubbling under

The Smiths - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (1985)

Score: 997 points

Biggest fans:
Andre (#6), Fred (#13), pop elton (#15), Mo (#16), Midaso (#17), tremolo (#17)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1985 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 471

New Order - Ceremony (1981)

Score: 1002 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam (# , pop elton (#10), Midaso (#12), Mitchell Stirling (#12), Adrian (#23)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1981 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 268

Some random images to accompany this one.

Squeeze - Tempted (1981)

Score: 1004 points

Biggest fans:
Toni (#4), John (#4), Greg Rumpff (#6), SuperFurry (#19)

Comments:
None

Place in the 1981 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 228

Madonna - Into The Groove (1985)

Score: 1005 points

Biggest fans:
Snusmumrik (#6), Honorio (#15), Toni (#1 , Moonbeam (#1 , Miguel (#19)

Comments:
Maybe this is the perfect song to describe the sound of the 80s, this bright electronic sound that apparently many people detest (and some of us love). (Honorio)

Place in the 1985 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1980s rank: 29

Maybe those cover arts don't show because you must be logged in to RYM to download the cover art.
On the other hand I checked the source and the links differs from those RYM links.

Just testing AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long / What Do You Do for Money Honey

Do the last 5 work? They seem fine to me..

C'mon, Stephan

Sorry guys, my computer broke down over the weekend. Fixed it this morning, I'll continue the countdown soon.

Very sorry to hear that, Stephan. I hope you had copies of all your important documents.

Click 'Next' to see more posts in this thread.

1 2