Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Pazz & Jop 2008 Songs poll - preparations

Following the discussions about a potenital 2008 songs poll in Rocky Raccoon's thread, I start this new thread to further discuss BillAdama's suggestion for a two phase songs poll. If we want to start this poll right after the albums poll, i.e. the 15th, than we have more than a week to clarify the details and get prepared.

So this is the idea:

Round 1 - Nominate your favourite x songs of 2008.

The first y songs with most nominations go to the second round.

Round 2: Submit your favourite 10 songs of the qualified songs, rules identical to the albums poll.

Any comments, what should x and y be? 10 and 20?

Re: AM Pazz & Jop 2008 Songs poll - preparations

Good idea !
Just like a political election !

I would put x = 20 and y = 30 (or something a bit different, like any songs which have been picked by 1/4 of the voters... there will necessarily be ties on the number of nominations so it might not be the best ideas to define a "y", especially if the nomination list is not ranked)

OK, these numbers sound good to me too.

And to work around the problem of ties, how about looking at the number of nominations that the song at spot #30 gets and take that number as minimum for the qualification? If this number happens to be 1, than only those songs with 2 or more nominations qualify(i.e. in that case y is less than 30).

I'm in on this!

Good choice of y, Andre.

OK, next thing to clarify is the time schedule.

My suggestion:

Round 1 (nominate 20 songs): January 15 - January 31.
Round 2 (vote 10 songs P&J style): February 1 - February 14.

I got February 1 (a Sunday!) to present to you the results of round 1 and prepare the songza links to properly announce the second round at the same day.

The final results, supported with some stats, will be reported in the week of February 15-21 (I might be off skiing for a few days that week, so need some additional time there).

The results, put together in Excel spreadsheet, finally go to Henrik as well, so he can publish it here at the forum.

Any comments/doubts regarding the schedule?

sounds great!

Question: Can the songs be singles of '08 even if they are on albums from '07?

Moonbeam, to be honest I'm quite flexible here and would not like to be strict. It's too much trouble to go check for every song, in which year it was released, either on album / ep or as single.

So, single from 2008 and album from 2007, or vice versa, single from 2007 and album 2008, it's all fine with me and eligible.