Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Movie poll

We should have done a movie poll in here. Anyone interested?

I think I was read that it was the only non-music poll Henrik would ever allow, so somebody just go ahead :)

Re: Movie poll

I'm in, but I don't have the time to run it.

I'd be happy to do it, but some of you might remember the worst song poll, so we might be better off if somebody else did this one.

I have a list ready and would love to participate, but no time to host it either.

I'd be happy to participate. But like the previous posters, I can't manage being the compiler/host/ombudsman. (Given my hectic life, the HOA is quite enough for me right now.)

same for me

...and same for me.

I don't know about you, but there will be very few (if any) signs of a rock music fan in my all-time movies list.

I'd do it... the catch: not before the middle of february..

I'll vote, but there are way too many classic films I haven't seen.

I have seen a great deal of the most acclaimed films of the '00s and could probably put in a pretty good ballot, but I wasn't even interested in the kind of movies I now consider good until a couple years ago.

I'm in, and I have no problem waiting until February or later.

i'd definately vote! and my #1 is a very rock 'n' roll type movie.

Im in, Im a huge movie geek...lol...I couldnt do the tally though. I have no time.

Best film of the decade? Score by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead!

That's great, netjade!

I have several music movies on my list, which I'm working on right now.

Coal Miner's Daughter, 24 Hour Party People, Sid & Nancy, This is Spinal Tap and more are all being considered.

Kevin, There Will Be Blood is definetely one of the best movies of the decade (Maybe my #3 and in all time top 20). The score is very good too.

Rune, don't forget Control, Almost Famous and all those 60's and 70's rock movies (for exampel all The Beatles movies and that Zappa movie (200 motels)).
As Henrik I'm going to vote hardly any rock movies. I'm still asking are we going to accept movies like Song Remains the Same and other live concert movies which contains something else (something psychedelic stuff) to the list.

What about document films (Erroll Morris,Werner Herzog, Michael Moore etc)?

greg excited!

I really need to see There will be blood.
as a young father, I suffer from a big deficit of movies especially from the years 2006 to present.
I could see (and loved) No Country For Old Men though

This movie poll is gonna be a tough thing for me.
Over the years I've become an expert at keeping track of the music I listen to (it's easy now with comupters), but for movies... I never did.
So the real thing will be : how will i try not to forget important films I've seen ?

pop elton

I'd be all for including live music movies and documentaries on the list. That's the Way It Is is one live music movie I'd consider. It made me an Elvis fan, if so only for a couple of weeks.

As for documentaries, they definitely should be included. I don't see them doing really well, though.

My favorite films in the last few years would be Slumdog Millionare, Pan's Labyrinth, Children Of Men, Lost In Translation, The Lives of Others.

Then I would make a separate list for 'Best fun movies' because although I would not call them quite as good movies as the absolute best, I would probably watch them more often. Stuff like Bourne Ultimatum, Hellboy II, Minority Report, etc.

But, if you look at the TSPDT list, I've probably only seen like ten of the top hundred. So unless the list was limited to recent I couldn't really have confidence in it.

There Will Be Blood I think is a bit overrated. It had a great lead character performance but it drags on a lot and the nihilism bores me after a while.

any ideas on how large the ballots should be? 100? what you think nj?

I'd love to do a movie poll, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to make a top 100 list quick enough.

I have a top 30 I could post in like 10 seconds

any ideas on how large the ballots should be? 100? what you think nj?

samepreceedjua, I assume. 100 as the cap, elsewise any number below it that everyone's free and willing to bestow a decent ranking on... unless you have more than one Friedberg/Seltzer milestone in it..

Nice idea, but I only know which movie will be my #1... I'll have to think about the other 99

I don't even know which is my number one, but I think it'll be a movie which is cemented into rock and roll history, without being very rock and roll itself.

Anything happening with this one?

is anyone on the auteurs (criterion's forum)?

I am, Greg, and I chose a pretty awesome nick (flickjade, well.. that's...deep..). alright, there you go, I'm uninventive when I'm impatient and I'm impatient when it comes to fkking registration procedures... great/promising project though.

So who's still interested anyway? I remember volunteering on this one, however a poll with the mere participation of say Mr. Maurer, Miguel and only one Rune seems... well.. not THAT widescreen to me.

I'm in. Just point me to the starter's blocks.

me too

I went ahead and made a top 100 list last week, so I'm definitely in.

However - especially since some of us (e.g. nicolas) have not kept track of the films we've seen - how about a nomination round in this poll too?

I am definitely in as well.

Count me in, too.

I haven't seen enough great movies to get to 100. I mostly watched mainstream stuff until a few years ago.

There are lots of great mainstream movies. Here's a couple of examples: Jurassic Park, Titanic, Finding Nemo and Forrest Gump.

I'll participate too, although my taste in movies is just as bad as my taste in music!

don't feel like i've watched anywhere near enough :( nice idea though. after the results come in, i might use them to increase my movie knowledge

As long as a little known masterpiece called "Cry Wilderness" has a chance of winning, I'm in.

What - you guys are movie geeks too? Geez,I spend so much time and money on music,I don't have anything left for movies...

I'm far more a movie geek than a music geek. I've even studied movies at university level.

i have a theory that anyone who understands music will understand movies, books, paintings, and pretty much anything else that could be considered art. i don't think it's possible to understand art forms, only art itself.

my point being anyone who posts on this forum will probably be able to appreciate a good movie when they see one. so this should be a fairly valid poll, even if our collective interest in movies isn't as strong as it is in music.

it seems to me that everybody agrees to do one but nobody wants to administer it!

anybody want to man up?

Well, I can do it, but before we all agree, I'll remind you of the spectacularly poor Worst Song Ever Poll I did last year. I'll try to improve, but I'm not promising anything.

flickjade's driving here...patience fellers...start working on those lists...mine's about half done

that's right.. just get your reels coiled up.. everything else screens end of march

I have a top 25 list already made that I'm quite proud of. though I'm still unsure if I'll be able to make a top 100 or even top 50.

My question is, is there a bottom limit to the size of your list?
And if so- are 25 movies enough?

everything up to 100 is sufficient, Nick. everything else is surface tension..

I finished my top 100 yesterday. Any progress here?