Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YEAR END SUPRISES THUS FAR

Anyone suprised by some of the early results and trends that have started on this years year end tally?

Personally:

Kings of Leon - Really didnt see the early respect that would indicate such high positioning at this stage.

Vampire Weekend - Can honestly say I thought they'd be top 5 at this point. Personally I hated the album, but I guess the early reviews have held up.

Nick Cave and the bad seeds - Thought they'd be in the top 5 right now. Such an amazing album with so much muscle in it. Its everything a Bad seeds album should be and more. Probably has alot do to with there old age and lack of hipster recognition in todays media.

TV ON THE RADIO - I knew this album was gunna place high. I just thinks its worth mentioning that it could potentially end up as #1. If this happens, it'll be a big punch in the arm for this year. Almost all the critics felt it was insuperior to return to cookie mountain. If it ends up as number one, we'll now that most considered this a very weak year

Re: YEAR END SUPRISES THUS FAR

Cut Copy. I just can't get into them. And Girl Talk. I'm also surprised to see so many mentions for Nas. I'm not against rap, I like The Roots and Q Tip's releases this year. Nas's release is just lame.

Where did MGMT come from? I got the album shortly after it came out, thought it was so-so and then I didn't think about if for awhile. Now, they have 3 of the 10 biggest songs of the year on LastFm and my little sister's friends are talking about them and they're pretty high up on the list.

That kinda surprised me.

I really liked vampire weekends album, haven't heard kings of leon album yet but I like the song playing on the radio

I'm not surprised how well Fleet Foxes is doing, but I am surprised that it's doing well almost unanimously. I've seen very few lists where it's not in the top five.

Yeah I'm extremely surprised and disappointed that MGMT is higher than Portishead and Nick Cave. And I liked the MGMT album.

I also expected Hold Steady to be pretty high. Like top 5 to 7. Certainly in the top 10. Although Stay Positive wasn't as good (imo) as their previous 3 albums, it was still easily one of the top ones in this weak year

I agree. Hold Steady is a big suprise. I thought it would be top 10 for sure.

I agree on Cut Copy. That album is background noise at a party or club and I doubt it means much to anybody who doesn't hold sentimental value to it due to a fun night out.

Hold Steady is a big discovery for me too.

Ditto the Kings of Leon being so high (Because of the Times was much better) and the Hold Steady being so low.

yes

Kings of Leon got kicked out of top 10, was about time ...

So we got Fleet Foxes and Dear Science fighting for gold and silver and than 4 albums left fighting for bronze.

Just a bit disappointed about the low positions of Amadou & Mariam (maybe release came too late), Shearwater and The Week That Was.

I belive the Hold Steady album are being overlooked this year from critics EOY-lists, on the grounds that it is released to close and sounds to similar to their previous album, Boys and Girls in America.

I haven't heard Amadou & Miriam yet, but it sounds like I'll like it based on their last album. Andre, it hasn't been officially released in the States yet, so maybe it'll pop up on some lists next year.

Also, although this is only my 3rd favorite Hold Steady album, that is enough to make it in the top 3 of the year for me. When it came out, it was so lauded for being a mildly different record...maybe critics don't like that as much as they initially thought?

Slush, which Hold Steady albums are nb 1 and 2 for you ?

I only know the new one (and I loved it).

The biggest surprise for me is seeing a Spanish album, “Alegranza” by El Guincho, showing up on so many international lists for the first time ever. The way things are going maybe it will became the best Spanish album ever in AM. Or should I say the most overrated Spanish album ever?
By the way, Henrik, maybe the European release was in 2008, but the Spanish release was October 2007, in fact it was #3 on Rockdelux list.

I couldn't get into the new Hold Steady.

I liked Boys and Girls In America because of it's excitement factor and energy. Stay Positive seems to ramp down the energy and just focus on power chords + keyboard. Then there's that song 'Sequestered in Memphis' that everybody seems to love but I find an annoying failed attempt to make a statement.

I'm a little surprised Lindstrom isn't showing up on a lot of year end lists. I guess a lot of people didn't sit through the 80 minutes, but those who did realized 'Wow.'

Also Dungen deserves to be higher than it is.

Nicolas, my recommendation for best Hold Steady album would be 'Boys and Girls in America'

I was a little disapointed after hearing Amadou & Mariam. It is a good record but not what i hoped. If you are into Amadou & Mariam you have to check out Rokia Traore. It is my choice for album out of Mali this year.

My favorite Hold Steady album is still Almost Killed Me.

Another surprise: Santogold. After many new lists have been added since my last reply here, it's still holding up strong.