Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
geo demographics : AMers' who's who

There's been a lot of new people posting on the forum these last months, some of them on regular basis, that's why I put this back on top.

Please feel free to tell us about you so we could know you better : your age, your whereabouts and how you came to know this site.

You can check the original post if you like

Thanks in advance !

You can also fill the guest map in the forum home page

Re: geo demographics : AMers' who's who

Salut nicolas!

To further stimulate some new forum members to post their demographics, here's some info about me again:

- Born and raised in the Netherlands, currently living in Freiburg, Germany. Married, 41 years young.
- About a year ago, I changed my forum name from my nick name DrDre to my real name, André.
- Used to play organ during childhood, tried playing the guitar without success and currently have a keyboard.
- RYM user name: DrDre
- last.fm user name: NotALovesong (haven't been using this for quite a while now)

well... wrong time, maybe, with this EOY furia going on

Greg Maurer
Brooklyn, NY
28 down, ? to go

if you're interested in my taste in music/movies/books/etc., feel free to add me on facebook and join the acclaimed music group while you're at it

my RYM user name is grmaurer. i have lots of lists and ratings there, but only as far back as '92 at the moment. i'm slowly trying to catalog my whole collection...

long live the best music site on the web!

Massachusetts

I'm finally updating my list making program so you never have to directly access the data files. When I'm done I will share it with the forum.

The version I'm making probably has a lot of stuff you won't need. Like, if you say 'A > B', it can save that result and later will weight it differently depending on how long ago you rated it and how long you owned the album when you did. So I'll probably make a separate interface that just continuously spits out n albums and lets you order them, until you're satisfied with the list. (Without the extra stuff in the main program I added for my own purposes).

Hey guys.

I'm 17, from Connecticut. I'm probably one of the youngest people on this site at this moment. Not really sure how I found this site, but I love it all the same. Right now, I'm kind of busy with college applications, but I hope to participate in some of the polls again soon.

Do you have a beta to share with us BillAdama or a previous version? I have a friend who is looking for something exactly like that because he doesn't like social networking features of online sites.

I'm from Minneapolis, MN and I'm 28. Unemployed right now.

RYM and Last.FM- johnfgillson

My name is Chris, I'm from Los Angeles, CA. I'm 28. I am in love with this site.

nicolas, 38, from Paris area
married, 2 children ( a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old boy)
writer/editor (not in music though)
I've got a musical blog and write reviews in French sites

Alex, 16, from Pennsylvania but currently an exchange student in Sweden.

I think I'm the youngest person on here, and I just started contributing to the forums a couple of weeks ago. But I've known about AM for about a year and I absolutely love it.

When I first started posting I used "Alex" as my name until I realized there was another "Alex" on here, so sorry other Alex for any confusion.

My post name is my real name. Born and raised in the Bay Area, California, US. Korean-Japanese. Writing is a hobby. 22 years old, and studying psychology in SF State.

If you want more info on my music tastes or want to communicate, also feel free to add my facebook. I'm the one with the Hendrix hat. I post new reviews there and constantly write notes about music and film.

Just joined the Acclaimed Music group on facebook by the way. Thanks for mentioning it, Greg!

I'm Greg Rumpff, born 1970 (which makes me 38..*shudder*) in Sidney, OH, moved to Columbus when I got married where I live in the 'burbs with wife and 1 son, aged 4, and our 5 cats (2 are ours, 3 were 'inherited' when a friend of ours went into a convent and couldn't take them with her).

My musical tastes tend toward strong harmony and melody which means I like power pop quite a bit but they're wide enough to encompass country (mostly pre-1980s), alternative, R&B, Christian rock, gospel, standards, and a dash of jazz, smidgen of reggae, pinch of punk, and a tiny bit of metal.

I joined Acclaimed Music when I was out looking for a site of "best music of all time" lists. I hope to find great music here, balance out hyperbole on some albums and hopefully point out some stuff everyone else has missed.

Beach Boys are my favorite band.

My name is Rune, I'm 28, and I live in Kristiansand, Norway. I live with my model girlfriend and our 1 year old son.

I've been on this forum for a while, but I'm not the one contributing the most.

Other than music I'm into postcards, chess, old cars, chickens, classic movies, plastic model kits, ski jumping, cross stitching and floorball. No normal hobbies, as you can see.

I believe I last posted my own geodemographics a week before my 40th birthday; it’s now a week before my 41st, so this thread seems a good opportunity.

Born and currently live in Houston, Texas (though I have also lived in New York and Pennsylvania). Single, no kids. Like nicolas, I’m a writer and editor; unlike nicolas, I am in the music field, but in opera, not pop. I also still do a little freelance writing. My basic musical template is postpunk/indie stuff from the 80’s, although I’ve branched out far indeed from there.

(Eagle-eyed readers who have been around for a while may notice that my info has changed since last year…)

Re: Re: geo demographics : AMers' who's who

I noticed that, Schleuse. I'm sorry, I don't want to stick my nose into things that's none of my business, but what happened?

Julian
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Found this site through a link on Wikipedia probably a year and a half ago (I think).

RateYourMusic: jlnfrtn
Last.fm: jlnfrtn

I don't play any instruments

John: When I have a beta I plan to post it. I'm still designing the functions. Right now the program crashes at some points if you put in bad input. Also right now I've designed the softUpdate() function which scores an album based on the other albums' current scores, but I want to add a fullUpdate() which simultaneously scores them relative to each other.

(Then there's all the testing and tweaking, since simulated annealing is quirky and I need to figure out how it handles A > B, B > C, C > A situations so I can figure out if I need to have it search for cycles every time it updates scores.)

Well, Rune, obviously, I wouldn't have brought it up if the subject was verboten...I got divorced this summer. This was right around the time that Survivor was ending and the Hall of Acclaim was getting started, and my extreme lack of focus and energy at that time (coupled with my great new job) almost certainly contributed to the HOA dragging at the start.

I will just assume that everyone here is wishing me congratulations and/or condolences (both are equally appropriate); no need to turn nicolas' thread into a back-slapping-fest. It's been many months now, and your friendly neighborhood mad scientist is bloodied but unbowed, and healing quite nicely.

Thanks.

Humm, my post from the other thread is really outdated.

I'm 24 (25 next month). I was from Denver, but moved to Washington D.C. this year and will hopefully move back in 18 months (let's see the job market then). Currently, I'm working on my Master's in International Affairs at George Washington University. Incidently, I should be finishing a paper right now.

I play(ed) guitar, but need to bring it back out here when I go back for the holidays.

My name is Jeremy, and I am 21 and live in Indiana

Jade Palooka (28, dim_wittedly tedesca, capital_bred, currently residing in Cologne, nrw, frequently harassed by perpetually frog sensed juveniles and sheep unacorns_ hungry, sober, unlimited, therefore/the world's an orange since I've dreamt of fragole..)

bump

Hi, I'm Brice, 27, from Paris/France.

Discovered the website just a week ago (when looking for EOY lists), and i'm really liking it here so far.

I am fond of travelling, nature, good beer & long long lists.
My music tastes are very eclectic, from commercial pop to folk & minimal techno.
You can also find me on Last & RYM.

Welcome to Acclaimed Music, Brice. I'm happy that you like it here.

What's your RYM username? I'd like to add you to my list of friends.

Bienvenue à toi, Brice

From Canada
Born in Campbellford, Ontario
Favourite band : Radiohead

My name Is Richard I'm 20 I go to school in Virginia.
I can't quite remeber how I found he site but I have been coming here for about a year for information. I only recently started posting. My favorite band is the Beatles

I hope all of the newer posters become regulars! Welcome!

My real name is Antônio César. I'm Brazilian, live in a city called Goiânia, and I'm 23. Discovered this site in 2006, don't ask me how. I only know that now it's my favorite website, although I haven't got so much time for participating here lately.
Well, I'm another one who plays keyboard. Also I have an electric and an acoustic guitars in my house, but I don't know how to play a single note. My brother Ze, who occasionally posts here, is the one who plays them everyday (that means I am supposed to listen to lots and lots of heavy metal day after day...).
Favorite bands are Blur and The Beatles. I have some preference for poppier and more modern music (i.e., I'm not a huge fan of classic rock, hehe) and am quite fond of R&B/funk and rap. Though, I'm still discovering a good number of great artists currently, specially with this '80s poll.

18 years old. Currently a community college student. I live in Washington State. I'm into a lot of music and I'm always looking for something new. I use this site for expanding my musical horizons. So far it has worked pretty well.

I have a question. Are there any sites like this only for movies and not music? Thanks.

hi, i'm michael, 17 and from california. i'm new to posting here but i've been on this site for several months. i was a beatlefreak and classic rock kid who dabbled in punk before this site expanded my musical interests. i googled "greatest album lists" when i realized that the rolling stone list wasn't really getting me anywhere new.
favorite band of 2008- los campesinos!

hey, I'm nick and I live in upstate New York. I've been lurking around here for about two years but have never posted anything until now. I'll try to post more from now on. I have very strong opinions on music. That's all I have to say.

I've posted here a bit, but it's weird not having a proper account, meaning you can post as a different person every post...

I'm 16, from London, and have been lurking on this site for over 3 years now! I think it's brilliant, and has certainly helped to consolidate and add to my music collection, especially in genres I previously knew nothing about, e.g. really good hip-hop and jazz.

Max, 24 yo, Montréal (Québec)

-I don't remember how I found the site :)
-I am currently completing my Master in literature

Hey, I'm Klauw, real name Jelle. Dutch, 26, and I recently got my Master in Media Studies. I have a broad music taste and a big interest in music history. I am most of the time active in the Hall of Acclaim, and that's where you can find the majority of my posts. Vote for Charlie Parker!

And post-Christmas I can add "and learning to play guitar" to my mini-bio.

*Jim R.
* Born in Brooklyn, New York (lived there for six tears total); lived most of my life in Northeast Pennsylvania
* 33 years old
* Bachelor of Arts in English/Professional Writing
* Music/entertainment afficionado

i'm not sure how i forgot to mention this before but i live in the city of Redondo Beach, the title of the second song on Patti Smith's Horses!