Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" finish higher than #334 ?

After the year-end lists come in, and the site is updated next year, do you think that Coldplay's SONG "Viva La Vida" (not the album) will finish higher than their current top-rated song "Yellow" (#334)?

I would love to see this happen, but I'm a bit skeptical. I would say "Viva La Vida" is my favourite Coldplay song, and possibly their best. I'm a bit surprised that "Clocks" isn't their current highest-rated (#1810?), but I'm glad to see they have a few other entries in the top 3000 ("In My Place," #1402; "The Scientist," #1405; "Speed of Sound," #2107).

Also, does anyone think any of their other songs released this year might make the Top 3000? I think the only one with a chance would be "Violet Hill," and probably somewhere in the 2000s, or low 1000s.

Re: Will Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" finish higher than #334 ?

I think Vida la Vida will get into the top 1000, maybe even top 750, but not farther.

Well, Daniel, as you're not the first to say this is the best Coldplay song so far, probably it will end surpassing Yellow sometime. I, personally, don't have it as my favourite track from the album. Much prefer Lost!, Yes, and Violet Hill, but also consider this one a great piece, either within the album as a whole or only by itself.
While Viva la Vida, the song, is receiving the acclaim it deserves, the album, on the other hand, is being totally underrated. Maybe it doesn't contain the number of perfect pop sing-along hits of A Rush of Blood to the Head, but this is their first album to maintain the same quality level from the first to the last (well, one before the last) track. The eccletic and colourful production really make the album a pleasant audition, it isn't those kinds of recordings that look for diversity only to fill in an empty space. Maybe with more listens I might start disliking the disc, but, still this time, it's one of my favorite albums of the year (although I have listened to quite a few 2008 albums yet...).

Viva La Vida is definitely one of their best songs. I think I like Trouble more. It'll factor highly on the list, probably not higher than Yellow.

I couldn't get into the album as a whole. It's not a bad album, but other than Viva La Vida it never draws me in.

Oh I agree that Viva la Vida the album is underrated, but I'm glad to see it is in the top 20 of 2008 (according to Acclaimed Music), but still, top 10 would be nicer.

I myself would have a hard time trying to pick my favourite Coldplay album (I just know that it wouldn't be X&Y). I'd probably lean towards A Rush of Blood to the Head because it has, in my opinion, more great songs than Viva La Vida. But you make an excellent point about the consistency. The one thing I do not like about A Rush of Blood to the Head is the sequencing. All of the best songs are at the beginning, and it does go a bit downhill from there. I do like the approach they took for this album, and they should be commended for taking a different route musically, and making it work.

I disagree slightly about the sequencing on A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD - while the second half isn't quite as good as the first, I think it picks up tremendously at the end, first with the slow-building title track and then exponentially with "Amsterdam," which is actually one of my favorite closing tracks ever. "I know I'm dead on the surface/But I am screaming underneath." Doesn't get much better than that.

Coldplay is one of those bands that I like much more than I probably should. They put out something like RUSH OF BLOOD, which I love, and then X&Y, which is terribly formulaic and safe, and so I dislike them. And then comes VIVA LA VIDA, which finds them back on the right track again, but not quite there yet (it's those awful lyrics still holding them back).

And then they put out something amazing like this - which isn't even on an album! - and like the sucker I am, I'm pulled back into Coldplay-fan land.