2 Fleet Foxes - s/t
3 Coldplay - Viva La Vida...
4 Vampire Weekend - s/t
5 Glasvegas - s/t
6 Duffy - Rockferry
7 TV On The Radio - Dear, Science
8 Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
9 The Racontuers - Consoluers of The Lonely
10 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
11. Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
12 Keane - Perfect Symmetry
13 MGMT - Orcular Spectacular
14 Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads
15 Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
16 Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
17 Adele - 19
18 British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
19 Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
20 The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
21 Razorlight - Slipaway Fires
22 The Killers - Day and Age
23 Beck - Modern Guilt
24 The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of The Understatement
25 Metallica - Death Magnetic
26 Conor Oberst - s/t
27 Neil Diamond - Before Home
28 Paul Weller - 22 Dreams
29 AC/DC - Black Ice
30 Portishead - Third
31 Black Mountain - In The Future
32 Oasis - Dig Out Your Souk
33 Hercules & Love Affair - s/t
34 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
35 The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
36 R.E.M. - Accelerate
37 Lykke Li - Youth Novels
38 John Mellencamp - LifeDeathLoveAndFreeedom
39 Santogold - s/t
40 My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
41 Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws
42 Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
43 Joan As Police Women - To Survive
44 Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
45 Jack Johnson - Sleep Through Stattic
46 Jenny Lewis - Acid Tounge
47 The Verve - Forth
48 Randy Newman - Harps and Angels
49 Emmylou Harris - All I Indented To Be
50 Dido - Safe Trip Home

More bits that I'll type up later as well

Re: Q Magazine EOY 2008

Mitchell! The Kings of Leon album that topped Q's poll is ONLY BY THE NIGHT - BECAUSE OF THE TIMES was last year!

Yes it is, I was groaned so loudly on seeing it at number one I was sent back in time 12 months.

Which raises the mystifying question, again: Why are the Brits so in love with this band? Why are Kings of Leon that rare bird - an American act that receives the vast bulk of its acclaim from across the pond? To those reading this in the U.K., what's the attraction (whether you personally share it or not)?

Thanks Mitchell!

Glad to see Elbow in the top 10, but I'm not so glad about Coldplay. Especially about it being higher than Elbow.

The Q EOY list is always something to savour, but they've really surpassed themselves this year by managing to shoehorn King Of Leon and Coldplay into the top 3.
I'm buggered if I can explain why KOL are so popular in the UK, but then I could say the same about Keane, Dido, Razorlight and a lot of the other garbage on this mind-numbingly banal list. And Q magazine itself, for that matter.

Kings of Leon is the sort of band like Muse that would have appealed to me when I was 16 and a misanthropist.

I already hated Q magazine. This list neither increases nor decreases my opinion of it.

Bad list, bad year

This was a bad year, I only consider Dear Science and Fleet Foxes to be the real gems that can match up to other years...

Every year has been called a bad year while it was happening. Wait a year before you call it a bad year.

I agree the best few albums this year aren't as good as the best few albums in most years this decade, but I think it might also have the strongest #20 album out of all years this decade. It's a deep year, with admittedly shallow heights.

A few bad lists from Q and Blender doesn't make this a bad year. There are dozens and dozens of great albums not on those lists.

Michael is right. This was not a bad year. It's just that most of the high profile artists disappointed, and those are the albums getting the attention. You've got to look for the good stuff, but it was certainly there.

One tip is to look outside of the UK and US.

Oops, I meant Mitchell is right.

So is BillAdama, by the way.

You are right Kevin,

True that Fleet Foxes (EP/LP) + TV are some of the few "grade A" albums of the year. IMO, only Deerhunter and Hercules & Love Affair deserve the same praise. I consider ALL the other 2008 albums as "LIST FILLERS". (maybe I am being a little harsh here... :) ).

ML

I dont know what you lot are on about... Only by night is fantastic, just because the youth have embraced the band, doesn't mean they aren't making good music. Kings of Leon are ultimately, a band which makes great music and is loved by the public (in the UK). Give Only by Night to me any day over Dear Science. But not Return to....

When something goes wrong with your truck’s transmission, it can be a real headache.

emergency roadside truck repair

Then we’ll fix things right up.

belts and hoses replacement