The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Their ACTUAL best albums.

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea and Rid of Me > To Bring You My Love

Bjork - Post and Homogenic > Debut (but not Vespertine (or as I like to call it: the "I'm getting wonderfully laid by Matthew Barney" album). Sorry people I gave it another listen this weekend based upon the best of the decade accolades that have been pouring in. It's great... but too flawed in terms of sacrificing songcraft in favor of mood.)

Paul Simon - The Rhthym of the Saints > Graceland

The Who - Tommy > Who's Next

Stereolab - Dots and Loops > Emperor Tomato Ketchup (can't say that I got very into Cobra & Phases..., Georgie)

Daft Punk - Discovery > Homework

Spoon - Gimme Fiction > Kill the moonlight (and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, if it enters higher than Gimme Fiction in the next update)

I'd love to hear an explanation from the two who rate Whitechocolatespaceegg higher than Exile in Guyville. I've always felt it was very ordinary and not even close to the songwriting on Phair's first two albums.

Finally, as I have asserted too many times on these boards (and will continue to do so)...

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain > every other album in the universe, including Slanted and Enchanted. I'd put Brighten the Corners above Slanted... also.

Rolling Stones- STICKY FINGERS>EXILE
Van Morrison- MOONDANCE>ASTRAL WEEKS
Bruce Springsteen- NEBRASKA>BORN TO RUN
Prince- 1999>SIGN O' THE TIMES
Paul Simon- RHYTHM OF THE SAINTS>GRACELAND
John Lennon- PLASTIC ONO BAND>IMAGINE
Elton John- COUNTRY COMFORT>GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

Schwah: I absolutely agree with Tim when he recently wrote a short but excellent comment about Whitechocolatespaceegg: "she actually sings on this one and the songs are more confidant and well produced. Don't understand why critics hate her melodic material and perfer her songs where she can't hold a tune or carry a melody."

Not to be a nitpicker, but regarding the post two above me, "Country Comfort" is actually a song, not an album. But if he's trying to say that "Tumbleweed Connection" (the album on which "Country Comfort" is found) is better than "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," I agree with you 100%. GYBR is a great album, but it's too scattered for my tastes. Tumbleweed is much more focused.

And to add my own personal flavor...

Peter Gabriel: PG3 > So
Yes, So has five monster hits (Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Big Time, Don't Give Up, and Mercy Street). But the other four are either passable or unlistenable. PG3 is much stronger as a whole.

Fiona Apple: When the Pawn (#2501) > Tidal (Bubbling Under) > Extraordinary Machine (#1543)
But maybe I just haven't listened to EM as much as I've listened to WTP...

Doves: Lost Souls (#1852) > The Last Broadcast (#1393)
This one's close for me, but LS is solid all the way through track #10 (The Cedar Room).

Fatboy Slim: Better Living Through Chemistry (#2957) > You've Come a Long Way, Baby (#356)
This one isn't even close. BLTC is just brilliant. I think that YCALWB is rated so high because of the two hit singles...

Hmm ... I like Exile in Guyville, and I've never heard Whitechocolatespacegg. Time to catch up, I guess ...

Miguel and Tim -

I'll tell you what, it's been years since I listened to Whitechocolatespaceegg. I've got a cassette of it somewhere so I'll give it another listen.

My recollection is that she uses her upper register a whole lot more than she did on Exile.... That doesn't mean that she wasn't "singing" when she used her lower register, she was just doing so to a different (and I think better) effect. And I agree that overall she was more confident in her singing on the later album (although she does sound really strong on the repeating chorus of "Stratford-on-Guy").

However, she just isn't all that great a singer. If I want to listen to great singing, Liz Phair is one of the last artists I turn to. She worked with her limitations on Exile, and my recollection is she exposed them on Whitechocolate.... Take "Polyester Bride," a really nice sing-songy composition. Everytime she swoops up to "away from here" at the end of the chorus, I cringe a little.

As for production... I love the production on Exile on Guyville. It is decidedly not clean. It's as scuzzy as many of her songs. But it wasn't hiding her voice... it was a complement to her really interesting delivery on that album.

I realize this is not an opinion that everyone shares. I have a friend who is a producer who likes things much cleaner. In the mid-90's he was preparing to produce the debut album for Patti Rothberg, a female singer-songwriter (_Between the 1 and the 9_, 4 stars on Allmusic, check it out!). He was given Exile... and Whipsmart to listen to for some ideas, and really didn't like what Brad Wood did with her. He wanted something much cleaner and crisper (and IMHO, it worked for Rothberg).

Anyway, I don't want to come back too hard at you both (opinions are no fun if they're shared by everybody), not to mention hijack this thread. I will give Whitechocolate... another try.

I second Better Living Through Chemistry. By far his best!

And I, also, have not listened to Whitechocolatespaceegg. But I keep hearing some good things about it, and I recently discovered that my favorite critic enjoys it. So I really have a mind to check it out.

I think Blur's 13 is brilliant, it's one of my favorite albums. As much as I love Parklife I'd 13 over it any day.

Also, Sister over Daydream Nation.

she doesn't sound too bad in Polyester Bride. I think it's one of the last two songs on Guyville: "Baby I'm Tired!!!!!!!!! of fighting." It sounds like she gave up half way through the chorus. I know the production maybe made her voice sound a little more accessible but nowadays rappers and pop stars are doing far worse. I guess spaceegg is starting to get a big following. The people who dispise her debut and he people that dispised her s/t record might find common ground in whitechocolatespaceegg. It seems to fall right in the middle of the two.

Oh yeah "Treat Me Like Dirt" by Patti Rothberg was one of my favorite songs of the 90s.

New york > Transformer
Yerself Is Steam > Deserters Songs
Let It Bleed > Exile On Main Street
Clear Spot > Trout Mask Replica
Transmissions... > Soft Bulletin

Exile in Guyville is the better Liz Phair album, but for me the latter album was the first example of what I appropriately call whitechocolatespaceegg syndrome, wherein a previously cherished album is played by a loved one to the point that you never ever want to hear it again.
The other obvious examples of this are In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and The Velvet Underground's third album (which I used to think was better than VU & Nico).

Glad to see someone remembers Patti Rothberg. "Treat Me Like Dirt" is a great song... it should have been her first single.

Good call on the Mercury Rev, Ed.

Personally, I think Deserter's Songs is one of the band's worst. Boces and Yerself Is Steam are both way better, and See You On The Other Side is its equal.

Dirty > Daydream Nation
Mezzanine > Blue Lines
( ) > Agaetis Byrjun
Songs From Northern Britain > Bandwagonesque
I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass > I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
Permanent Waves > Moving Pictures
VU > VU & Nico
Talkie Walkie > Moon Safari
Ocean Beach > Red House Painters (Rollercoaster)

So, I (downloaded and) listened to Phair's whitechocolatespaceegg and... it's pretty damn good. I have you folks to thank for getting me to hear it.

I wouldn't say it's better than Exile In Guyville, but it certainly isn't much weaker. After how pop she went with her second album, Whip-Smart, I gave up on her. So I was surprised to find how un-pop whitechocolatespaceegg was.

Oh yeah.

No Doubt: Return Of Saturn > Tragic Kingdom >>>> Rock Steady

I also perfer Free All Angels by Ash to their highest ranked 1977.

Yes, I meant TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION. My bad..typing from work and my memory failed me.

"The Crane Wife" is the worst by the Decemberists. "Castaways & Cutouts" and "Picaresque" are much better!

The Stones seem like good fodder for a lot of people here. I'll stay to >100 place differences after the first two:

Sticky Fingers > Exile on Main Street
Rubber Soul > Revolver
Loaded > VU & Nico
Fear of Music > Remain in Light
Sea Change > Odelay
Stand > There's A Riot Goin' On
Ray of Light > Like a Prayer
Low-Life > Technique
This Is Hardcore > Different Class
Tumbleweed Connection > Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Vitalogy > Ten
Exit Planet Dust > Dig Your Own Hole

That seems like a good stopping point.

I've actually heard nothing by the Decemberists and New Order besides The Crane Wife and Technique. I'll be sure to check out Castaways, Picaresque, and Low-Life. Oh, and I listened to Sigur Ros' () a few days ago and, if not better than Agaetis Byrjun, it's definitely just as good. Thanks musictoad.

This thread has helped me listen to some older stuff I totally missed. Mission accomplished!