Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOA: 1973 voting thread

Glad to see more new voters coming on board.

Hard to believe, but we're already up to the 1973 Hall of Acclaim election.

Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1972.

When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top 50 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s already been inducted, see the results thread.

For your ballot to be eligible, you must submit a ranked list of your ten most deserving artists.

***IMPORTANT!***
Also, for your top FIVE artists (at least), you must explain why they deserve to be in the HOA. You may recycle your comments from past elections if you wish, but I want us to have a context for WHY we're selecting these artists. Ballots without comments for the top five will NOT be counted!

In addition, you may nominate up to three people for the Backstage Wing. This is optional; your ballot will still be eligible even if you don’t vote for Backstage candidates.

Deadline for ballots is Sunday, November 23, at 6:00 pm US Central time (midnight GMT).

Voting is now open.

Re: HOA: 1973 voting thread

What are you all doing with Paul McCartney? I don't want to use the Beatles to put him in because I'm not doing that with any other solo artist, but I file all my Wings records under M.

1. Leadbelly : one of my remaining and favorite pre-rock artists.

2. David Bowie : just released his masterpiece, and already 3 great albums

3. Doc Watson : underrated country-folk-bluegrass giant

4. Stevie Wonder : the beginning of his album period, with 2 records and an international hit

5. The Doors

6. Curtis Mayfield
7. Georges Brassens
8. Bruce Springsteen (something tells me he will move up soon)
9. Jimmy Cliff
10.Django Reinhardt

John, I follow Henrik's usage on this site. Here, all Wings stuff is filed under "McCartney, Paul"--so all votes for either Paul or Wings will go under McCartney (somehow, I doubt this is going to be a big deal, though).

Nicolas, I agree that Doc Watson is underrated. Not sure he makes my ballot, but I've really been enjoying his stuff lately. Especially the "Memories" album.

A few other names to consider: John Prine, Willie Nelson, Gram Parsons.

01. DAVID BOWIE: androgynous, glamorous, otherworldly, all these adjectives may come to your mind when you look at him, with his orange-dyed hair, his bright make-up and his bizarre dresses. His theatrical point of view doesn’t include only the shows (last year tour was staged by Lindsay Kemp) but even the albums. The last one, “Ziggy Stardust”, is a concept album about the rise and fall of a rock star from other planet and, no doubt, one of the peaks of rock music from now on.
My favourite album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972).
My Top 5 Songs: Life on Mars? (1971), Moonage Daydream (1972), Space Oddity (1969), Five Years (1972), Changes (1971).

02. THE TEMPTATIONS: a classic Motown band that, as Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder, is evolving from an “industrial” product to a socially conscious band, updating their sound incorporating pshychedelia and funk to their trademark Motown soul sound. Important credit must go to producers and composers Smokey Robinson, Barrett Strong and mainly Norman Whitfield (responsible of the exciting second half of their career).
My favourite album: Cloud Nine (1969).
My Top 3 Songs: My Girl (1965), Runaway Child, Running Wild (1969), Papa Was a Rolling Stone (1972).

03. CAETANO VELOSO: after leading the Tropicália movement during the 60s, the festive fusion of Brazilian bossa-nova and psychedelia that included also Gilberto Gil, Os Mutantes and Gal Costa, now is releasing superb albums as transgressive as “Araça azul” or as filled of saudade (yearning) as “Transa” from his London exile for political reasons.
My favourite album: Transa (1972).
My Top 3 Songs: Tropicalia (196 , Nine Out of Ten (1972), Clarice (196 .

04. TODD RUNDGREN: a genial singer-songwriter, a skilled multi-instrumentalist (he play almost all instruments in his albums) and a talented producer, he has just released a dazzling double album filled with pop songs, soul pills, soft-rock ballads and even hard rockers.
My favourite album: Something/Anything? (1972).
My Top 3 Songs: I Saw the Light (1972), Cold Morning Light (1972), Hello It’s Me (1972).

05. T. REX: the king of glam-rock, Marc Bolan is the creator of a new style visually based in an androgynous look and musically in trashy boogie numbers alternating with cosmic acoustic ballads, and all that encapsulated in three-minute pop songs, in instant classics.
My favourite album: Electric Warrior (1971).
My Top 3 Songs: Get It On (1971), Cosmic Dancer (1971), Metal Guru (1972).

06. KING CRIMSON
07. JONI MITCHELL
08. PINK FLOYD
09. STEVIE WONDER
10. JOAN MANUEL SERRAT

And at the backstage:
01. JOHN HAMMOND.
02. JIMMY MILLER: the first four reasons to induct him that come to my mind are: “Beggars Banquet”, “Let It Bleed”, “Sticky Fingers” and “Exile on Main Street”. Enough, isn’t it? Favourite song: THE ROLLING STONES You Can’t Always Get What You Want (1969).
03. JOE BOYD.

1. GRAM PARSONS – Nobody is hurt more by the categorization rules than GP. Through 1972, Gram has been the leader and driving force behind five excellent albums (1 by the International Submarine Band, 1 by The Byrds, 2 by the Flying Burrito Brothers, and 1 solo). His compositions are classic (Hickory Wind, Sin City, Luxury Liner, She, etc.). He is the father of country rock.

2. JONI MITCHELL – One of the premier songwriters and performers of the 20th century.

3. THE TEMPTATIONS – Papa was a Rolling Stone is just great.

4. LEADBELLY – I’m with Nicolas.

5. CHARLIE PARKER – Most influential be-bop jazz performer.

6. GEORGE JONES

7. JIMMY CLIFF

8. WILLIE NELSON

9. RANDY NEWMAN

10. TOWNES VAN ZANDT

BACKSTAGE: Stephen Foster, John Hammond, Lester Bangs

I forgot about Bowie! I guess he deserves it. He would have been in the middle of my list. Oh well, I take care of that next week, though I doubt my help will be needed.

1. George Jones - I still care! (rune, where you at? paul & i need your help here...)
2. David Bowie - my favorite Bowie albums won't be released for another 4 or 5 years, but there's no denying the greatness of Hunky and Ziggy
3. Black Sabbath - 3 crushingly awesome & influential records in 2 years...War Pigs still seems oracular...anyone else think Ozzy's underrated as a lyricist?
4. Big Star - I just can't hold off on these guys...I know it's only one album, but christ it's good
5. Todd Rundgren - one great singer-songwriter album and the first of many studio wizard/eccentric pop genius albums

6. Lou Reed
7. Randy Newman
8. Woody Guthrie
9. Grateful Dead
10. Townes Van Zandt

this was the first time i really had to leave off a ton of people i really wanted to include:

rod stewart, little feat, gram parsons, curtis mayfield, o'jays, stevie wonder, pink floyd, allman bros., flying burrito bros., dusty springfield...

who said it was going to get easier at this point?!

backstage

1. Hoagy Carmichael
2. Jann Wenner
3. Irving Berlin

Big Star! Dang! I should have put that one on too. Next year for sure.

1. The Zombies: their first album, Begin Here, is like the British Invasion equivalent of Pablo Honey -- it's enjoyable, but it's also derivative as hell. The album that followed though is an absolute delight, and also happens to be the third most-played album in my collection.

2. Pink Floyd: John would have you all believe that their best record has been out for five years already, while I say their best is about, oh... 82 days away. But, they still deserve this place.

3. John Lennon: Plastic Ono + Instant Karma + Jealous Guy = enough.

4. Big Star: I knew about Alex Chilton from the Box Tops ("The Letter", from Bracketology) and also through Jeff Buckley's cover of "Kangaroo", but it never occurred to me to put two-and-two together and check out any of his other stuff. But one day earlier this year, I made the connection and together with some comments here on AM, the result was me discovering a great band.

5. David Ackles: a relatively obscure singer/songwriter from the early '70s. Think: Tom Waits with about 50% less crazy. "Down River" (from his eponymous album) is amazing.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:g9fixqr5ldje~T2

6. Derek and the Dominos: only one album, but I like it. Granted, I don't think I've ever listened to it from start to finish in one sitting, but that's neither here nor there.

7. Harry Chapin: if any of you are interested in a great hidden treasure from the '70s singer/songwriter scene, check out "Any Old Kind of Day" from Chapin's album Heads & Tales. Don't let the major key fool you -- this song is bleak as hell: "it's time for me to sleep/and to rest these thoughts away/there's going to be another day/when things will go my way..."

8. Stevie Wonder: moving up bigtime after this year.

9. David Bowie: favorite stuff is still a few years away.

10. Bill Evans: symbolic vote.

1. David Bowie - The big reinventor is now in his theatrical phase. His performances are as remarkable as his records, making him one of the greatest popular artists to excel both in the audio & the visual world.
2. Stevie Wonder - With "Talking Book", Little Stevie is no more. Not that there was anything wrong with his early work, not at all. But with this record he proves to be one of the biggest innovators in his genre, and one of the creative forces of his time.
3. Frank Zappa / Mothers of Invention - Another genre-defying chameleon, Zappa is now almost completely revalidated from the fall of the stage last year and is touring with a big band.
4. Charlie Parker - Listen, this here is what Charlie did to the Blues. Listen, that there is what Charlie did to the Blues. This here, bid-dle-dee-dee bid-dle-dee-dee bopsheep have you any cool? bahdada one horn full. Charlie filled the Blues with Curly-cues. That's what Charlie did to the Blues. - William Waring Cuney, as seen on a mural poem in Leiden.
5. The Doors - Jim joined the 27 club. To be honest, I appreciate them more for Ray Manzarek's work on the electric organ than for Morrison's poetry, but it doesn't take a genius to see they will never recover. But hell, I love L.A. Woman. They should be inducted for that album alone.

6. Leadbelly
7. Black Sabbath
8. John Lennon
9. Captain Beefheart
10. Pink Floyd

Backstagers:
1. John Hammond
2. Les Paul
3. Leonard Chess

I finally have a little free time, so I'll participate for the first time! I'm hoping to be able to join in from here on out, but times are busy!

1. The Doors- I know they aren't very appreciated around here, but I am a little surprised that they haven't made it in! The musicianship is tight, Jim Morrison is a legendary frontman, and their influence is pretty undeniable.

2. Can- Monster Movie changed the way that I think about music- not many albums can say that! Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are also wonders to behold. However, I'm one of the weird ones who actually prefers Can with Malcolm Mooney at the helm!

3. Nico- Aside from her fun contributions on The Velvet Underground & Nico, she released 3 very good albums in her own right in the wintry Euro-folk of Chelsea Girl, the deranged and maudlin The Marble Index and the desolate freakout of Desertshore.

4. David Bowie- He is definitely my favorite of the artists that I will list, but only Ziggy Stardust cracks my top 5 Bowie albums at this point.

5. Roxy Music- Their whirlwind debut is packed with more ideas than most bands have in their entire careers, especially on that opening side, if you count "Virginia Plain". I actually prefer For Your Pleasure and also love Stranded, so they are due to jump up in a big way next year.

6. Lou Reed- But so is this guy.

7. Stevie Wonder- As well as this guy.

1) Black Sabbath - Desperate attempt to make them snap up the 4th position
2)David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust is one of my 2 top 20 albums released so far (the other being five leaves left)
3)Boby Lapointe - I love this guy and his songs, mostly because he is incredibly witty
4)Big Star - Thirteen is my only top 40 song release so far, and all the album is just pure gold
5)Stevie Wonder - Talking Books would be enough to make him one of the greatest artists of the 70s, transcending musical genres and social origins
6)Serge Gainsbourg
7)The Temptations
8)Lou Reed
9)MC5
10)The Sonics

1. DAVID BOWIE. After Ziggy, he has nothing left to prove (although he will continue to do so for about seven more years).
2. JONI MITCHELL. Joni will be pretty well ensconced in the upper reaches of my ballot for a while. To me, she’s almost the only singer/songwriter of this era whose music can surprise.
3. THE TEMPTATIONS. I’ve been holding out for “Papa Was a Rolling Stone.” This is a great, great group—the “Beatles of Motown” tag is completely apt.
4. ZAPPA/MOTHERS. Tick tick tick tick tick tick.
5. STEVIE WONDER. Erring on the side of caution here; he’ll move up, of course, if he doesn’t get in now.
6. T. REX
7. FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS
8. MC5
9. PATSY CLINE. There you go. I’ve given Sabbath a fair shot, and Isaac Hayes was kind of a one-year symbolic vote.
10. ROXY MUSIC

Backstage:
1. JANN WENNER
2. LESTER BANGS
3. ANDY WARHOL

1. David Bowie - The ultimate starman. Ziggy Stardust is, simply put, just a phenomonal album. He's reinvented himself too many times to count (even in '73), but irregardless, he's churned out loads of ingenious pop songs like "Space Oddity" and "Changes."
2. Stevie Wonder - Put on "Superstition" and walk into a room, and you are now the coolest guy in said room. Stevie's brilliance has always had a timeless feel to it, and his music still sounds fresh years later.
3. John Lennon - See 1972 thread.
4. The Doors - See 1972 thread.
5. Cream - See 1972 thread.
6. The Temptations - Last year they released "Papa was a Rolling Stone," a funk classic that should push them over the hump.
7. CSN&Y - See 1972 thread.
8. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly = Coolest movie soundtrack ever. Socially conscious too.
9. Lou Reed - If he doesn't get in this year, he won't get in at all. And I like "Walk on the Wild Side."
10. B.B. King - See 1972 Thread.

I disagree about Lou Reed, Alex. He probably won't make his way onto my ballot until his resurgence with New York, Magic and Loss, and (to a lesser extent) Songs for Drella. No doubt Transformer is a great album, but for me, not good enough to push him into the top ten until he builds on that. (I'll be honest... I don't know "Berlin" at all.)

I'm done with the Supremes. All and all, I thing they should be in. However, the Jackson 5 give me lots more joy, and if I can't find room for them, why should I find room for the Supremes just because they had more commercial hits. The Temptations, however, feel more essential to me.

1. Django Reinhardt - I'm not giving up on Django.

2. Stevie Wonder -- And the dam breaks open. Obviously, I thought him worthy of admission before Music of My Mind, but boy oh boy is there a lovely string to come.

3. The Impressions -- I don't seem to be swaying anybody with my advocacy of the Impressions.

4. Charlie Parker - However, maybe we can get Parker in this year.

5. David Bowie -I'm still wondering if I should have put him in my top-10 last year.

6. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)

7. The Temptations

I've got a five-way battle for the last three spots... long time list entrant Patsy Cline, already-admitted-with-the-Beatles John Lennon, should-already-be-admitted-with-the-Impressions Curtis Mayfield, the good Rev. Al Green, and long-time-door-knocking-at-the-list Grateful Dead. With Lennon and the Dead their wonderful songs are too often undercut by not totally winning performances on the recordings. (I know... live the Dead were even worse - protestations of the Deadheads notwithstanding.) So I'm inclined toward voting for the other three. I reserve the right to be fickle and change mind year to year.

8. Patsy Cline

9. Curtis Mayfield

10. Al Green

I keep forgetting to vote for backstagers. Fortunately two of my longtime candidates (Gershwin and Lomax) made it in without my votes.

1. Irving Berlin
2. Norman Granz
3. Bill Graham

Taking a glance at years ahead, I'm not too sure Mr. Reed will make it in next year, and skipping ahead to the late 80s doesn't seem so likely either. Maybe if we get a down year, he'll slip through the cracks, but I'm not too sure about that.

1. David Bowie – Even Ziggy represented just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what the rest of the decade had in store from the greatest chameleon in rock history, but it’s a pretty significant tip. AaaaaaaaaaWHAMBAMTHANKYOUMA’AM!!!!!
2. Stevie Wonder – The great period merely starts here, but the singles he made during his first decade (!) of recording were pretty damn good, too.
3. Joni Mitchell – The greatest and most musically adventurous of the singer-songwriters. Her most innovative albums are yet to come, but with BLUE she had already attained unmatchable perfection.
4. John Lennon – Those first two albums are more than enough to merit his induction as a solo artist.
5. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band – The Captain isn’t all that popular around these parts, but here’s a Hall of Acclaim vote for just about the orneriest, prickliest SOB – both musically and personality-wise – to ever set foot in a studio.
6. Ornette Coleman
7. Black Sabbath
8. Frank Zappa
9. Sonny Rollins
10. Deep Purple

BACKSTAGE WING
1. Nicky Hopkins
2. Jann Wenner
3. Rudy Van Gelder
Honorable mention: "Some stupid with a flare gun" - the inept, accidental arsonist who inadvertently inspired "Smoke on the Water." Without this young man, we would have been deprived of the now-36-year-old earworm that is: Dun-dun-DUN! Dun-dun-dun-DUN! Dun-dun-DUN! DUN-dun!