Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: UPDATE : 01/11/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)

Butch Walker was the leader member of the power pop band Marvelous 3 who made 3 good records in the late '90s/early '00s.

Re: UPDATE : 01/11/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)

I wonder what direction Kanye is going in his new album. More below average rapping over very well chosen samples (That he then gets credit for because most of his fans have never heard the original song) about political issues that have been briefly explained to him five minutes before he wrote it?

I retract my previous guess (is that allowed) of butch walker, and change it to Q-tip, at #15.

Q-Tip # 12

Just wondering, STEFAN, does the "US: 00000000" mean there haven't been any US reviews entered? Because Pitchfork reviewed Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilem (7.5), The Age of the Understatement (7.7), and The Seldom Seen Kid (7.8). And Rolling Stone mag reviewed The Age of the Understatement (3/5) and Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilem (4/5). And those reviews came before the last update. Just checking if you missed 'em. Or have you stopped entering scores for earlier albums?

Keep up the good work!

Dear Sean Pak

For the individual charts (EU,UK and US) I only consider the actual Top 100. Please find here their adjusted scores and number of US reviews :

- 64,15 (5/8 Reviews) Elbow
- 63,80 (6/8 Reviews) The Last Shadow Puppets
- 62,39 (6/8 Reviews) Sigur Ros

Stefan, Girl Talk's "Feed the Animals" has already been #2 and #7 in BLENDER's and Paste's EOY lists, but it's not listed here at all. Are the reviews too few or extremely mixed?

Ah, duly noted.

Here are a few things I'm afraid about now that EOY lists are gonna be added.

MGMT's, No Age's, and Black Mountain's new ones, which have deservedly been in the top 20 so far due to strong reviews, will probably be virtually forgotten on the upcoming lists, either because they were released so early in the year, or because of low name recognition. Meanwhile, comparably big names with weaker albums, like Metallica, Conor Oberst, and the Drive-By Truckers, who have been deservedly lower so far, will now climb.

Henrik

Girl Talk have an overall adjusted score of 57,75
Their US adjusted score is (7/8) 64,51 (# 98)
UK reviews (2/7) and EU reviews (1/11) are very few

Sean Pak

The EOY-Lists are not gonna be added to the Mega-Critic-Chart. They are added up in Henrik´s EOY-chart.

My vote goes to The Fireman (Paul McCartney + Youth).

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. I figured you were gonna put in EOY lists like you did last year, but that was before it was called Mega-Critic.

Following up to Henrik's comment, in addition to Girl Talk, Of Montreal has placed on 3 EOY lists while only managing a ranking of 99 on the review list.

On the flip side, the second best reviewed album of the year (Portishead) has managed to place on only 2 lists (relatively low I might add) and Hercules and Love Affair (7th best reviewed is only on 1 list so far).

But what I think is most surprising, is even though it is VERY early, there is already a strong correlation between the reviews and the lists. In looking at the top ten on both the reviews and the lists, they share SEVEN common albums. I suspect that bond will become stronger as more lists (as well as possibly more reviews) come rolling in. So Stefan...I very much look forward to your monthly updates, and hope they continue for a long time to come!

Following on Doug's last sentence:

No matter the fate of Henrik's AM site (whether he indeed stops updating after next year or not), I hope that STEFAN continues Mega-Critic, either here or on a site of his own, because right now it's my main source for critically acclaimed albums. I find it better than RYM and metacritic. If this ends together with AM, I won't know where to go for music reference!

I'll say Amadou & Mariam at number 25. Hopefully it gets enough reviews.

Hey! would it be possible to temporarily add the megacritic lists to the EOY lists, then?

SuperFurry:
I'd have guessed Amadou and Mariam, but since it's currently available solely in the Us I doubt it will recieve enough reviews to make the list.

Amadou & Mariam recently got reviewed in the NME and Uncut, so who knows?!