Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
favorite album not listed

I was wondering what you guys' favorite albums were that weren't on the Top 3000 list or bubbling under. Mine are probably:
Pablo Honey-Radiohead (I'm willing to admit that this is probably the worst Radiohead album, but that doesn't mean I can't love and I feel that is deserves to at least be bubbling. Creep alone should give it that honor)
Fallen-Evanescence (Probably more of a guilty pleasure and maybe to angsty for some people, but I just find it hard to believe that an album nominated for Album of the Year by The Grammys didn't even make it to bubbling. Yes, I know the Grammys often are not incredibly credible, but something just doesn't feel right with this picture)
Please feel free to tell me why I'm wrong with both of these.

Re: favorite album not listed

Bricolage - Amon Tobin

It is beyond me how it hasn't been recognized enough to be on this site.

I think Wake Me Up is a good song, but the rest of the album is fillerish.

Keep in mind that the Grammies are the organization that gave Jethro Tull a grammy for 'best heavy metal album'. They also skew toward accessibility, indistinctness, and general safeness. And possibly bribery.

Even the country grammies take more risks for christ's sake! The genre with the most risk averse fan base in America! (Miranda Lambert won best album from them last year).

My favorite album not included on the list even as a bubbling under is probably Matthew Good - Beautiful Midnight. Or Plush - Fed, which was released in Japan in 2002 and just came out in the rest of the world this year.

Most of the albums I really like are at least bubbling under.

Swell-41(1994)

The absence of this band in general, and this album in particular, is a real AM mystery.
41 is an absolute masterpiece-atmospheric, intimate, immediate and beautifully performed. Scooby snacks await anybody who can explain it's disappearance off the critical radar...

I am very glad that Swell has been mentioned. I completely agree. Although I prefer ...Well? to 41.

I'll throw a couple out there:

Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight: BillAdama mentioned it and I'll second it. It's a cornerstone of '90s Canadian alt-rock; one of those albums where in the right context, each song seems like it could be a single. AllMusic writes: "...lyrics that openly ravage society's current focus of materialism, dead end spirituality and other immoral but obvious societal ills, a tight hard rocking sound, and pained vocals... Universal Canada pushed hard for success south of the border, going to such lengths as creating an American "import" version (removing three songs from the intended track list and replacing them with three singles from the previous MGB album). Don't be duped by the corporate bastards; the original version is the one to own. Personal favorite songs: "Giant", "Failing the Rorschach Test".

New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too: an unfortunate case of an amazing album being overlooked (and nearing obscurity) because of its massive hit song and the emotional resignation it caused to the band's creative force, Gregg Alexander. He ended up dissolving the band and focusing on behind-the-scenes songwriting and production; (anyone remember that Santana/Michelle Branch song, "Game of Love"? Yeah, he wrote that). Still, the band's one and only album is a poptastic explosion of clever songwriting, infectious melodies and soulful lyrics and vocals.

EdAmes -- never heard of it, but I might just be a fan. Great description; I love the album cover, and... according to RYM, the album was released on my 12th birthday. Checked out the first few songs, and it sounds like something I could fall in love with.

Mine would mostly be either European-non-English albums (IAM - l'école du micro d'argent and Puppetmastaz - Creature Funk, 2 of my top 5 hip-hop albums) or non acclaimed genres (Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers, Thrice - Illusion of Safety, Horse the Band - R. Borlax).
I also have Elliott Smith self titled album, but if I remember what Henrik said, it will be ranked on the upcoming update.

Van Morrison - Common One.
One of the best albums of the irish Singer/Songwriter.

Man, there's so many, but here's a few:

Pearl Jam - Binaural, I know this isn't a popular pick, but I think it needs to be re-appraised. Sonically, one of their most impressive albums and without a doubt the best their best album since at least No Code.
White Noise - An Electrical Storm, very innovative, I don't understand why this album isn't more widely acclaimed.
Idle Race - Birthday Party, obscure 60's psychadelic, very well crafted.
Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors, easily my favorite Bright Eyes album
I agree with Anthony about the New Radicals, that album is a gem.

I also don't understand how the Television Personalities - And Don't the Kids Just Love It? is only bubbling under.

This one's easy.

How the hell is "(Who's Afraid Of?) The Art of Noise!" by the Art of Noise not even "bubbling under?"

The Choir CHASE THE KANGAROO

Stuck in the Christian rock "ghetto" is a fate they don't deserve...

Dory Previn - Mythical Kings & Iguanas

The female Randy Newman delivers obvious 1971 classic. Except no-one noticed.

Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Unclassified