2- Velvet Underground
3- The Rolling Stones
4- Elvis

Re: The Beatles, Elvis, Velvet Underground and the Rolling Stones

1- The Beatles
2- Velvet Underground
3- The Rolling Stones
4- Elvis

In that order, The Beatles are my favorite band and I'm a pretty big fan of The Velvet Underground and the Stones but I can's say the same for Elvis.

Bob Dylan.

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Elvis
4. VU

Love them all. Elvis is forgotten today. I'm preparing a post about that in my blog

1. THE STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. VU
3. Beatles
4. Elvis

1. The Beatles (My All-Time Favorite)
2. The Rolling Stones (All-Time #4)
3. Elvis Presley (All-Time Top 20-25)
4. Velvet Underground (All-Time Top 50-75)

Bob Dylan.

I second that "Bob dylan"

Out of those four, Rolling Stones.

But yes, Bob Dylan!

Elvis may be played down today among internet posting crowds, but he sure isn't forgotten in certain parts of the south.

I really like the Sun sessions, but I'm not a fan of his later work. A lot of his act turned into showmanship and gimmickry, and his approach to songwriting became about hooks. The emotional subtlety present in his early work sort of disappears about the time religious people go on their anti-gyration kick.

I don't like Bob Dylan. Sorry I like the Beatles, The Stones and the Velvet Underground. I hear more in common with the bands I like than Dylan. I added Elvis just to see what people though about him here, I think he is massively overrated.

Dylan

Yeah,it's funny - I used to listen to loads of Elvis before I got into those other 3. Overall probably:
1)Stones
2)Beatles
3)Velvet Underground
4)Elvis

1. Beatles
1a. Dylan
2. VU
3. Stones
4. Elvis

All of those except Elvis are among my favorites. I don't think that Elvis is "massively overrated"... however, like BillAdama, I lose a lot of interest after he left Sun.

ModernRocker, if you have time, you might scroll through old discussion threads; we've had some pretty vigorous debates about Mr. Presley. The key points of contention, iirc, include:

A. He didn't write his own songs.
B. He was derivative of superior R&B artists.
C. He was a barely competent musician.
D. He was merely lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

My take: I think (A) and (B) are indisputable, although I don't think either one is a deal-breaker, especially in the context of the 1950's. If Elvis leads people to listen to Big Joe Turner, Big Mama Thornton and Bill Monroe, I think he's paid his freight. As an old punk from way back, I think (C) is largely irrelevant, even if it's true. (D) is true up to a point, but you could say that about almost any of AM's top 20 or so artists...

1. Beatles
1.5. Dylan
2. Stones
3a. Elvis
3b. VU

It's just so hard to choose!

http://www.geocities.com/starrkingscoul@ymail.com/index.html

• my links page

• persecuted beyond recovery, touturing is persection

• home

• my links page
    my picture, few years ago
    write dr. rev. jeremy taylor u.u. and ask him why he hates Jesus so much he stole the God spoken portected created name ministry of dreams to ruin Gods servant, d.min jeremy taylor steals and hides on website, but google told, tell reverend jeremy taylor a unitarian universalist ordained minister to quit stealing from Gods children,

1) The Beatles
    2) Rolling Stones
    3) Elvis
    4) Velvet Underground

I'm still largely unfamiliar with the Velvets and despite liking Elvis, I'm still coming to terms with much of his catalogue. Until this year, I hadn't really delved into the Stones and they'd have been #3 but now I can genuinely say I like a lot of their stuff though I doubt they'd make my top 5 overall. The Beatles are a great combination of aggressive and "edgy" without losing sight of melody and harmony.
    My actual #1 overall would be the Beach Boys who I do feel are continually underrated, probably because they were never "political" for one reason and because Mike Love is a jerk for #2.