The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Popular/Successful Acts With Little or No Acclaim

Cliff Richard, as huge as The Beatles in England during the late '50s and the whole '60s.

Garth Brooks has sold more albums in the US than everyone except the Beatles but is he taken that seriously?

half zeitgeist, half corporates, half manbearpig bears out rankings... cope with it or die uncopied!!

Re: Garth Brooks - I'm sure you're well aware that the relationship between sales and acclaim (or quality) can often be tenuous at best. Brooks certainly isn't regarded as a bad artist (except for that inexplicable Chris Gaines fiasco), but just because he's second to the Beatles in sales doesn't mean he's considered anywhere near as artistically significant. (Although "Friends in Low Places" makes the top 500 songs here, and that's appropriate - it's pretty much the most archetypal country single of the last 25 years.)

Garth Brooks is the most significant artist in what arguably is the biggest genre in America right now. It's just that critics and music lovers normally despise that genre. I don't mind Garth but I think he could represent a major turn that this country made about 10 years ago.

I don't think Garth's acclaim should be anywhere near his sales (and I'm a fan) but I surely think in the long run not only "Friends in Low Places" but "The Dance" and "Unanswered Prayers" will creep onto these lists.

And I think, considering it's one of the 4 tributaries of the rock and roll stream, country in general doesn't get as much critical love as it should.

And again...gospel...ONLY Mahalia Jackson and the Fisk Jubilee Singers? Really? Nothing from the Soul Stirrers? Dixie Hummingbirds? Shirley Caesar? Andrae Crouch?(unless I've somehow missed them)

Re: Chris Gaines fiasco. That's an excellent album. I've never understood just why it is hated. I still listen to in once in a while, and there are lots of good songs on it.

Country music could almost be broken down into two "genres." The popular "country" music of Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, et al, has only a tenuous connection to the musical tradition of Hank, Johnny, George, and Merle. It owes a lot more The Eagles and 1970's pop. It's my impress that there are few fans of the Hank school that also really love the Garth school.

At the risk of offending many, the new country music is pretty lousy, so it doesn't deserve any acclaim beyond "Friends In Low Places."

It Carries Over...

into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as well. The number of country acts is tiny- maybe 1 or 2 notables? I believe Hank Williams is in there.

Which brings to mind an act like Bon Jovi- some thought it was a lock as a Hall of Fame nominees this year- but, nope. The band isn't all that acclaimed- if Foreigner and Journey were never considered, why would Bon Jovi? BJ is more akin to those bands than U2 or R.E.M., in terms of acclaim.