05. The Velvet Underground
04. David Bowie
03. Radiohead
02. Bob Dylan
01. The Beatles

Re: The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll- Part 3

The Stones will be higher than that I guess

Not a big fan of The Who, I must say that "Overture" and "I'm Free", both from "Tommy" are fantastic songs!

Btw, where's Joni Mitchell?

Fred, Joni Mitchell is #42.

Detail is in the left hemisphere, right?

Even forgot Love in my list. #42 for Joni is acceptable.

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top of the forum as we wait for the top ten. (No rush, Moonbeam.)

These forums have been very quiet the past week. What's going on?

last year it was the same thing
isn't it the new school year ?

it is, but I think most of use aren't in school anymore !

19-11. And HERE is where I start to vastly diverge from the list....

I've already lamented Elvis Presley's poor placement (I had him at #6 beating out Costello's #14) and echo the sentiment that I feel it's odd that the acolyte bests his inspiration.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Kinks yet having only heard VILLAGE GREEN and a hits anthology so they were down at #90.

Both the Smiths and the Pixies entirely failed to make my list. I know I *SHOULD* like the Pixies...since I rank Nirvana #43...but so far I only really like "Here Comes Your Man".

The Smiths are starting to become more favored with me but still not to the point that I'd consider them a favorite. ("How Soon is Now?", "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" would be my favorite Smiths songs at the moment.)

The Clash were #39 for me but I suspect that number will steadily rise as I become more familiar with them since I seem to like nearly everything I hear from them (NOTE: I have not yet heard "Cut the Crap"

Stevie Wonder and U2 both cracked my Top 10 at #7 and #9 respectively. Wonder not only has his 70s apex but I think his 60s output with songs like "Uptight","I Was Made to Love Her", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" etc. argue strongly for his improved placement. Some latter day tunes like "Overjoyed" also count among favorites for me. U2 has pretty much been a consistent "good album" band for me since WAR.

Springsteen only made it to #62 for me not so much for dislike of his music as lack of knowledge. Have heard both "Born" albums (U.S.A. and TO RUN) and his Seeger tribute album but that's it.

The Who's charm has evaded me for the most part. I didn't like QUADROPHENIA or SELLS OUT. So far the only album that's really blown me away was WHO'S NEXT. (I did think MY GENERATION was decent 60s Brit pop but not on the level of the Beatles or Stones.)

Paul- I'll take your suggestion to heart and check out LADIES and COURT next from Mitchell.