Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best albums from '60s girl groups.

I know a lot of girl groups (particularly early ones) are best represented by compilations, but what are some good albums that stand on their own? I guess this includes solo singers with a girl group sound.

The Shangri-Las '65 (I Can Never Go Home Anymore version)
Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes featuring Veronica
The Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack
The Cake
Martha and the Vandellas - Dance Party

Re: Best albums from '60s girl groups.

I know when we've taken polls it seems that many here are young 30s and younger which helps explain why maybe these albums aren't esteemed more: we simply haven't heard them.

With the exception of some Sinatra and Nat "King" Cole efforts, for the most part I know the music of 1963 and before fromr compilations.

I do love a lot of girl group stuff (especially Spector) and Martha and the Vsndellas (if you're calling them 'girl group') but haven't heard a single album from either of them as it was released back then. I'm 37 by the way.

i'm terribly sorry, i'm 13. although i certainly enjoy 60's music, i don't recall any girl group ALBUMS. but dancing in the street by martha and the vandellas kicks ass.

The Shangri-Las '65 (I Can Never Go Home Anymore version)
Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes featuring Veronica

These are both GREAT, but comps are still the way to go.

One fine obscurity which is sort of a combo girl/group / psych album is The Feminine Complex's Livin' Love, which includes the tremendous "Hide 'n' Seek".

I heard that Feminine Complex album recently. 'Forgetting' was stuck in my head for a while, which is ironic I guess.

Thanks for your comments. I have lots of compilations too, but it's nice to have the kind of narrative that an album offers, even if it was just thrown together at the time. It's a really fun period to explore. Every VA girl group compilation seems to have at least one great song hidden away on it.

Definitely. And then there is the tremendous Girls In The Garage series. Lots of obscure, partially fantastic pioneerRriot stuff.

and his name is

M.E. L. V. I. N.

..MA-HALVIN...

but this is one's worth falling for e.g....

sigh... ok, enough promotion, I have a Pink Floyd list to purge..

oh... and

1. Melvin. The Belles
2. He's Not There Anymore. The Chymes

reads the AM-booklet...