Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your top ten albums of all time...when you were 13!

I was 13 on december 1989...
I listened to the same LP as in 1988 and 1987 :

"Kick" - Inxs (still good to my ears)

It was the only personal LP I owned at this time.
I listened very much radio and the songs I loved were:

"Sowing the seeds of love" - Tears For Fears
"Lullaby" - The Cure
"Song for whoever" - Beautiful South
"Kokomo" - The Beach Boys
"Another day in paradise" - Phil Collins
"You got it" - Roy Orbison
"I don't want a lover" - Texas
"My brave face" - Paul McCartney
"The best" - Tina Turner

I still love most of these songs (especially "Sowing the seeds of love" and "Song for whoever") or just enjoy "Kokomo".
But I now find awful the Phil Collins' song ! Pouaahhh ! Beuuurk !

sounds like you joined Blind Melon at that time as well, Greg..

rendler: Nope, that wouldn't be me, although it would be quite the coincidence. I actually live on the other side of the US (Connecticut).

where in ct, penguin? i grew up there

If you didn't listen to music when you were 13, feel free to jump to 15 or 16. Because that's when for me I would have included 3 Doors Down, Creed, Fuel, Linkin Park, Staind.

When I was real young I listened to Weird Al and my dad's R&B 1954-1965 collection. It was sometime around 1996 I started watching MTV, 1998 when I disowned MTV, and 2001 when I got so fed up with new popular music I finally got into Beatles and Dylan.

Down in the southeast of the state, Greg.

I was 15 when I got into music. These are the groups I listened to at the time (a LONG time ago). Classic Rock, Poppy Prog Rock, and a little Metal.

The Who (#1 with a bullet)
The Doors
The Beatles
Blue Oyster Cult
Black Sabbath
Simon And Garfunkel
The Moody Blues
Yes
Rush

For some reason I wasn't into Zeppelin, which doesn't make any sense when you consider the rest of the bands on this list.

I just read Schleuse's list and it reminded me that I was also into The Cars, Blondie, and Billy Joel at the time. I always liked plain old pop music.

I was 13 in 1983 but I owned nearly NO albums at that point.

Early albums I can recall owning (or asking for them as gifts) include:

John Cougar AMERICAN FOOL
Soft Cell NON-STOP EROTIC CABARET (I cannot believe that my parents actually BOUGHT me an album that included "Sex Dwarf"! I wanted it for "Tainted Love".)
Beach Boys GREATEST HITS (the one in DUOPHONIC sound )
Beach Boys MADE IN AMERICA
(both of the above were compilations..heavy on the "sun and surf" stuff. My taste in BB now tilts heavily toward "sad bastard" Brian AKA from TODAY! and later..)
The Imperials LET THE WIND BLOW
Petra BEAT THE SYSTEM
Amy Grant THE COLLECTION

Really the only thing I'd say I probably never listen to from among those these days is the Soft Cell..other than the aforementioned 2 cuts

Here's some of the songs I dug on the radio (and bought singles for in many cases) that would not really be on my MP3 player these days:

Loverboy "When it's Over" (this would be the first 45 I ever bought with allowance money)
Bryan Adams "Kids Wanna Rock"
Joe Dolce "Shaddap You Face"
Irene Cara "Flashdance..What a Feeling"
Men Without Hats "The Safety Dance"
Musical Youth "Pass the Dutchie"
Billy Ocean "Lover Boy"
Pointer Sisters "Neutron Dance"

Slush: I also think CRACKED REAR VIEW still sounds pretty good though I prefer their sophomore (hitless) album FAIRWEATHER JOHNSON.

Penguin: Thanks for clearing that up. The guy I met didn't seem like a rock guru, but it was worth a shot.

13... that would be October, 1994.

Pearl Jam - Ten
The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits
Green Day - Dookie
Live - Throwing Copper
Nirvana - Nevermind
Roxette - Joyride
Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife, Reckless
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Weezer - Blue Album
Bush - Sixteen Stone

As I've mentioned once or twice on this forum, I was fortunate enough to have cool parents who loved music. They were the ones who heard of an up-and-coming band out of Seattle in late 1991 and thought it was something appropriate to give to a 10 year-old for Christmas that year. (Keep in mind too, I'm from the Canadian prairies.) The Beatles were a household favorite. The rest are pretty much standard mid-nineties alt-rock fare. Well, except for Roxette -- that was my sister's influence. And to this day, early Bryan Adams is still a pleasure.

I was 13 back in 1999 and here are some of the albums I remember being my favorites-

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Blink-182 - Enema of the State
Green Day - Dookie
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Jay-Z - Vol.2...Hard Knock Life
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory
Chumbawamba - Tubthumper
Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

So as you can see I did not have the greatest taste in music when I was 13 but I still listen to a few of these every once in a while.

hehe. i know i've done it on a separate thread, but it's changed a bit.

1. Kid A by Radiohead (released 2000/Favourite track is "Kid A")
2. Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (released 2000/Favourite track is "Storm")
3. Yanqui U.X.O by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (released 2002/Favourite track is "Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls")
4. Red by King Crimson (released 1974/Favourite track is a tie between "Red" and "One More Red Nightmare")
5. Duck Stab/Buster and Glen by the Residents (released 1978/Favourite track is "Blue Rosebuds")
6. Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart (released 1969/Favourite track is the Blimp(mousetrapreplica))
7. Endtroducing by DJ Shadow (released 1996/favourite track is "The Number Song")
8. Frances the Mute by the Mars Volta (released 2005/favourite track is a tie between Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus and Cassandra Gemini)
9. De-Loused in the Comatorium by the Mars Volta (released 2003/favourite track is a tie between Eriatarka and Drunkship of Lanterns)
10. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (released 1973/favourite track is Money)

ACTUALLY... because mine doesn't really count because it isn't embarrasing and i'm 13 in a week anyway - i'll do my favourite albums... when I was 9! And I warn you, this is pretty embarrasing

Hybrid Theory by Linkin' Park (please don't burn me for this)
Some Alice Cooper album (I can't remember it's name)
all Radiohead except Kid A and Amnesiac which I hadn't listened to back then (the only collection of decent album on the list)
Demon Days by Gorillaz (not all bad either, there are some pretty bad songs on it though)
Toxicity by System of a Down (not a bad album at all! but you may shun me simply because it's SOAD)

...and that's about as much as i can remember. I remember really being into KoRn, which is heavily embarrasing, but luckily, it's all past me now.