Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
skip james

is anyone here a fan of skip james? i've been listening to a few of his songs on youtube and am considering buying an album. what should i get? AM recommends "Today!" but AM also recommends the song "devil got my woman", which isn't on it. so are any of the compilations any good or should i just get "Today!"?

Re: skip james

Today is an album made in 1965 during the blues revival.
it's a very good album, you can buy it with your eyes closed but I think his best are the 1931 original recordings (including Devil Got My woman, Hard times Killing Floor and I'm So Glad) that are now in the public domain so easy to find. The sound quality is not good but the performances are awesome
There's a godd Yazoo compilation called "the complete early recordings" and a more recent one called "I'd rather be the devil, the legendary 19631 session" (Rev ola)

thanks nicolas. i might try to get the complete early recordings rather than "today!". *sigh* i don't like compilation albums, but looks like it might be necessary :(

In Skip James' case, it is necessary because he's from the pre-album era

Devil Got My Woman is one of the only blues songs I love. That might have to do that is in Ghost World (one of my favorite movies) but I think if I would have discovered it without the movie I'd still like it. I do like a lot of Skip James music too. For some reason he's one of the only bluesmen I really like.