Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
notes from a mad scientist

I apologize for not posting much around here lately. After a few years of having the flexible schedule of a freelancer, I now have a regular job. It's a great job (and my financial situation will now allow me to buy a lot more music), but, unfortunately, it means that I may not be posting here quite as often.

Don't worry, though--the Hall of Acclaim will continue on its regular schedule...

...except that tomorrow it may not. Nothing to do with the job, but Tropical Storm Edouard is expected to hit Houston tomorrow, and there's a good chance that I will lose power. I'm guessing an electrical outage would only last a day or two at most--it's a relatively minor storm--but I did want to let y'all know that the 1962 results and 1963 discussion thread might be delayed a bit due to technical difficulties in the lab.

See you on the other side.

Re: notes from a mad scientist

Thanks interesting

------------------------
support @ www.fntoy.com

schleuse, congratulations to your new job!!! Is it the one with the job interview you were excited about?

Yep, that's the one. Thanks, Henrik.

I see no reason not to reveal this, even though it'll destroy any of my cred on this forum as an aging punk: I'm working as a writer for Houston Grand Opera. Grant proposals, articles, program notes--you name it.

I've been an opera fan for about ten years now...not coincidentally, since that's when I met my wife, an opera singer. It's a completely different musical universe from what we discuss here, and I don't know opera as well as I know rock & roll, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

The Clash, Mozart, R.E.M., Verdi, the Replacements, Rossini, Blur, and Britten. That's me.

(But I still hate "Bohemian Rhapsody." Opera and rock are NOT like chocolate and peanut butter...more like chocolate and mayonnaise. They don't go well together.)

(Obviously, by the way, the lab is still fully powered by electricity--we didn't get anything out of Edouard except a lot of rain. So the '63 discussion thread goes up later this evening.)

I revealed a secret love for Panic at the Disco earlier today; schleuse, when it comes to losing cred, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Congrats on the job, btw.

Ummm... no Puccini?

so your wife did manage the interview for you... ..? (leads to= romantically coupled: symbiotically doubled) and some nice idea.

congratulations, old gallon

I proposed to my girlfriend at the Norwegian Opera in Oslo, so there is some opera in me too.

I saw Lou Reed perform Berlin at the Copenhagen Opera house recently -- but I guess that hardly counts ...

So now you are writing about music. Perfect, isn’t it?