Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatles Survivor: Cut 37

Ok, sorry about that mixup last round. This time Rain got eliminated, for real. A Day in the Life and Sgt. Peppers as an album are 7 points away from being eliminated, will it even have one entry in the top 20?

Eliminated:

23 Come Together
18 We Can Work It Out
16 Rain
15 Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Close: Nowhere Man, And Your Bird Can Sing, Helter Skelter, Blackbird

RULES: Vote for 5 Beatles songs using this format:

5: Song
4: Song
3: Song
2: Song
1: Song

Comments are very welcome but not required. I'd like it if you give an overall comment but you don't have to.

Songs will be eliminated every Monday and Thursday and a new vote will begin each day. In the event of a tie all songs receiving the elimination vote will be eliminated.

40 or less left: Eliminate 4 rather than 5.
20 or less: Eliminate 3
10 or less: Eliminate 2 for two cuts
Final cut: Eliminate whatever is left (There will be 6 songs or less left) and declare a winner!

The tiebreaker rule will still apply for every round.

THE MASTER LIST!

211. Revolution #9
210. Love Me Do
209. Dig It!
208. Dizzy Miss Lizzie
207. Maggie Mae
206. Devil in Her Heart
205. A Taste of Honey
204. Matchbox
203. You Know My Name (Look up the Number)
202. Bad Boy
201. PS I Love You
200. When I Get Home
199. Wild Honey Pie
198. Boys
197. Flying
196. Mr. Moonlight
195. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey
194. Anna (Go To Him)
193. Run For Your Life
192. Her Majesty
191. Act Naturally
190. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
189. Chains
188. Honey Don't
187. Not a Second Time
186. You Really Got a Hold On Me
185. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
184. Baby It's You
183. Till There Was You
182. Rock and Roll Music
181. Roll Over Beethoven
180. Misery
179. Words of Love
178. When I'm 64
177. For You Blue
176. Blue Jay Way
175. The Inner Light
174. Money (That's What I Want)
173. Please, Mr. Postman
172. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
171. Only a Northern Song
170. You Like Me Too Much
169. Slow Down
168. Good Night
167. Thank You Girl
166. Little Child
165. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
164. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
163. One After 909
162. All Together Now
161. I Wanna Be Your Man
160. Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
159. Yes It Is
158. There's a Place
157. Ask Me Why
156. I'll Get You
155. Yellow Submarine
154. Hold Me Tight
153. I Me Mine
152. I Need You
151. Your Mother Should Know
150. Revolution 1
149. Honey Pie
148. Don't Bother Me
147. Tell Me What You See
146. Do You Want To Know a Secret?
145. All I've Got To Do
144. Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
143. I've Got a Feeling
142. Michelle
141. What Goes On
140. Another Girl
139. Any Time at All
138. Within You, Without You
137. This Boy
136. I Don't Want To Spoil the Party
135. Old Brown Shoe
134. It's Only Love
133. Don't Pass Me By
132. Long Tall Sally
131. I Call Your Name
130. I'll Cry Instead
129. I'm Down
128. Tell Me Why
127. The Night Before
126. Every Little Thing
125. Long, Long, Long
124. What You're Doing
123. I'll Be Back
122. Sun King
121. Wait
120. She's a Woman
119. You Can't Do That
118. Doctor Robert
117. Yer Blues
116. It Won't Be Long
115. Birthday
114. The Word
113. Baby's in Black
112. Glass Onion
111. The Ballad of John and Yoko
110. Dig a Pony
109. Good Morning, Good Morning
108. Mean Mr. Mustard
107. Polythene Pam
106. And I Love Her
105. Love You To
104. Octopus's Garden
103. No Reply
102. Rocky Raccoon
101. Things We Said Today
100. I'll Follow The Sun
99. I Should Have Known Better
98. You're Going to Lose That Girl
97. Because
96. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
95. Drive My Car
94. From Me to You
93. Girl
92. Baby You're a Rich Man
91. I Want To Hold Your Hand
90. If I Fell
89. Magical Mystery Tour
88. I Want To Tell You
87. I'm a Loser
86. I've Just Seen A Face
85. Getting Better
84. Please Please Me
83. The Long And Winding Road
82. Eight Days a Week
81. Hey Bulldog
80. It’s All Too Much
79. Julia
78. All You Need is Love
77. Two Of Us
76. Piggies
75. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
74. Good Day Sunshine
73. I'm Looking Through You
72. Think for Yourself
71. I'm So Tired
70. Savoy Truffle
69. Sexy Sadie
68. Twist and Shout
67. Lovely Rita
66. Back In The U.S.S.R.
65. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
64. Oh! Darling
63. With A Little Help From My Friends
62. Fool On The Hill
61. Hello Goodbye
60. Martha My Dear
59. Can't Buy Me Love
58. Mother Nature's Son
57. Cry Baby Cry
56. Got To Get You Into My Life
55. Fixing a Hole
54. If I Needed Someone
53. All My Loving
52. Lady Madonna
51. Carry That Weight
50. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
49. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
48. You Won’t See Me
47. She’s Leaving Home
46. I Saw Her Standing There
45. For No One
44. Get back
43. Taxman
42. Don’t Let Me Down
41. I Will
40. I Am The Walrus
39. I Feel Fine
38. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
37. Ticket To Ride
36. Golden Slumbers
35. She Loves You
34. A Hard Day's Night
33. Day Tripper
32. Paperback Writer
31. Across the Universe
30. Dear Prudence
29. She said she said
28. I'm Only Sleeping
27. Come Together
26. We Can Work It Out
25. Rain
24. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Discography

Please Please Me- ELIMINATED

With the Beatles- ELIMINATED

A Hard Day's Night- ELIMINATED

Beatles For Sale- ELIMINATED

Help!

1. Help
13. Yesterday

Rubber Soul

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
4. Nowhere Man
11. In My Life

Revolver

2. Eleanor Rigby
5. Here, There And Everywhere
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

13. A Day In The Life

Magical Mystery Tour

8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane

The Beatles (White Album)

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
11. Blackbird

6. Helter Skelter

Yellow Submarine- ELIMINATED

Abbey Road

2. Something
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
16. End, The

Let It Be

6. Let It Be

A Sides and B Sides:

Hey Jude
Revolution

Re: Beatles Survivor: Cut 37

Tomorrow? Who Knows? Another Day In The Life Of Mine. Yesterday? If I Let It Be, Would It Be The End?

5 Helter Skelter
4 Nowhere Man
3 Here, There And Everywhere
2 Blackbird
1 Revolution

5: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
4: Nowhere Man
3: Helter Skelter
2: A Day In The Life
1: Here, There And Everywhere

Getting really hard now. I have some absolute favorites, and while I'm not voting them off yet, there's a group in the middle that is great that I find hard to distinguish between.

Well, at least Rain moved up a little.

5: Something
4: Eleanor Rigby
3: Hey Jude
2: Helter Skelter
1: Revolution

5: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4: You Never Give Me Your Money
3: Blackbird
2. Nowhere Man
1: Here, There and Everywhere

About my two new picks:

There’s an urban legend down here in H-town that “Nowhere Man” is about a professor at Rice University. I don’t think there’s a scrap of truth to that, but I think knowing about that myth makes the song a sentimental favorite of mine.

“Here, There and Everywhere” is gorgeous, and its complex structure holds my interest better than “Blackbird.” But it doesn’t have the achingly beautiful quality of, say, “Something.”

5: Nowhere Man
4: Helter Skelter
3: Revolution
2: Help

5: And Your Bird Can Sing
3: Revolution
2: The End: agree with Justin, it’s still here for the symbolic value and the air of finality. But moreover, the first minute (of a 2 minutes song!) is not so remarkable. However the last minute is pure heaven to me, with McCartney, Harrison and Lennon (in this order) alternating with the solos and then this beautiful little bit, as sonofsamiam said. I would say this beautiful little LIE: “And in the end / the love you take / is equal to the love you make”. Because you all know that it’s a lie, don’t you?
1: Here Comes the Sun: love all the remaining Harrison songs (in fact I love all the remaining songs), but it’s time to vote for one of them. Let’s see, we have we have this one about a guitar weeping and then Clapton makes his guitar actually weep, we have that one that Sinatra defined as “the best love song of the last 50 years” and we have… Well, OK, “Here Comes the Sun” then.

This poll format is genious! What group/artist will be next? A crazy idea would be to do Bob Dylan and Neil Young side by side! Just maybe I could dig into that possibility...

5. Blackbird
4. Here, There And Everywhere
3. The End
2. And Your Bird Can Sing
1. Nowhere Man

Hmm...maybe early Stones would be a better choice...

Noticing the following positions for Abbey Road second-side songs:

? Here Comes the Sun 3:04
97 Because 2:45
? You Never Give Me Your Money 3:57
122 Sun King 2:31
108 Mean Mr. Mustard 1:06
107 Polythene Pam 1:13
65 She Came in Through the Bathroom Window 1:58
36 Golden Slumbers 1:31
51 Carry That Weight 1:37
? The End 2:04
192 Her Majesty 0:23

What strikes me the most is the "low" position of "Because". If I think of 60s harmonies i think of "Because". It also sets the tone for the whole medley IMO. Maybe the songs are like the US 1980 hockey team. On their own they weren't that good but together they beat the russian...Btw, which Beatle had the final saying on the inclusion of "Her Majesty"?

Her Majesty? That'd be Yoko, of course

5: Strawberry Fields Forever
4: Blackbird
3: And Your Bird Can Sing
2: In My Life
1: The End

Fred, about the inclusion of “Her Majesty”, I will translate a fragment of the Dowlding book that quotes the Lewisohn book. I think Anthony got the original book, the following is my translation from Spanish to English of a translation from English to Spanish, so the words are inexact for sure…

Originally “Her Majesty” (recorded quickly in three takes by McCartney alone) was intended to locate in the middle of the medley, between “Mean Mr. Mustard” and “Polythene Pam”. But, after listening a first mix of the medley, the 30th of July, McCartney changed his mind.
According to statements of John Kurlander, second engineer of Abbey Road:
“We made all the mixes and the fade-outs to link the songs. Paul was there and we listened to it together for the first time. He said: “I don’t like “Her Majesty”, throw it away”, so I cut it and took it out, but unnoticeably I left in the tape the last note. Paul said: “It’s a first mix, it doesn’t matter”, in other words, don’t lose the time “cleaning it” because it’s only a first mix…”
“They have told me not to throw anything away, so when Paul leaved I picked it up from the floor, I put 20 seconds of neutral tape and I pasted it at the end of the mix tape. The next day, in Apple, Malcolm Davies made a working copy and, despite I’ve written in the box that “Her Majesty” was discarded, he thought too: “We can’t throw anything away, so I’ll copy it at the end too”.
“I don’t know for sure, but when Paul listened to the working copy he probably liked “Her Majesty” located at the end… We didn’t remix “Her Majesty”, so the first mix was the one who ended in the final LP”
That why “Her Majesty” doesn’t have the last guitar chord that actually is, inaudible, at the beginning of “Polythene Pam”. Moreover, the strident chord that marks the beginning of “Her Majesty” belongs actually to the end of the original “Mean Mr. Mustard”.

5: Revolution
4: Nowhere Man
3: And Your Bird Can Sing (just a sidenote, but does Matthew Sweet owe his career to this song or what?)
2: Penny Lane
1: Eleanor Rigby

Keeping the same list for the 3rd consecutive time:

5: You Never Give Me Your Money
4: Tomorrow Never Knows
3: A Day in the Life
2: Eleanor Rigby
1: Yesterday

Am I the only one that loves "Her Majesty?" It's definitely my favorite song under 30 seconds.

As for continuing this trend, I would think Bob Dylan and Neil Young would be a little too laborious because for every good album there's a bland, derivative album. How about The VU since you have a limited discography that's easy to work with?

The problem with other artists is that the entire catalog is not well known like The Beatles. I think if another artist was done participation would be very low. The only way I think another artist could be done is by doing a pre-poll to nominate songs for the actual game. Bob Dylan would be the logical next step. But, even if we cut the Dylan catalog down to 100-150 songs it would still be tough.

I can do all 450 (or so) Dylan songs, but yeah.. it might be better to start with a selection of 100-150. There's so many great songs though!

I think it would be fun to do a Survivor with the top 250 AM songs. I know we did Bracketology but this would be a whole new ballgame.

Radiohead?

5: Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
4: Tomorrow Never Knows
3: And Your Bird Can Sing
2: Helter Skelter
1: You Never Give Me Your Money

John, I wonder if the Survivor format would work better with albums than songs.

I never did album bracketology because there were just too many highly-ranked albums that many of us were unfamiliar with (well, that I was unfamiliar with). But in a Survivor-type thing, only a few people would have to be familiar enough with an album to pass judgment on it.

Don't look to me to run such a thing, though (although I would participate)--unlike bracketology, the Survivor format started to get old for me (several months ago, if I'm honest). Nine months was just too long for something which emphasized so much negativity. Ironically, it seems that I now enjoy the Survivor format less than most people on the forum...

No disrespect intended to your project, John--I've enjoyed trawling through the full Beatles catalog for the first time in almost 20 years...and unlike artist Survivor, your game doesn't seem to be afflicted with flame wars.

I was thinking about album Survivor myself. I'd volunteer to host it myself if people are really interested in it (after all, a Survivor game is easier to do than something like the Hall of Fame idea).

The only problem I have with albums is that it's really predictable. Songs tend to generate stronger personal feelings. But, I am more of a singles guy than an albums guy.

Some tough choices,but I'll go for:

5:And Your Bird Can Sing
4:Help!
3:The End
2:Blackbird
1:Tomorrow Never Knows

Honorio's translation:

“We made all the mixes and the fade-outs to link the songs. Paul was there and we listened to it together for the first time. He said: “I don’t like “Her Majesty”, throw it away”, so I cut it and took it out, but unnoticeably I left in the tape the last note. Paul said: “It’s a first mix, it doesn’t matter”, in other words, don’t lose the time “cleaning it” because it’s only a first mix…”
“They have told me not to throw anything away, so when Paul leaved I picked it up from the floor, I put 20 seconds of neutral tape and I pasted it at the end of the mix tape. The next day, in Apple, Malcolm Davies made a working copy and, despite I’ve written in the box that “Her Majesty” was discarded, he thought too: “We can’t throw anything away, so I’ll copy it at the end too”.
“I don’t know for sure, but when Paul listened to the working copy he probably liked “Her Majesty” located at the end… We didn’t remix “Her Majesty”, so the first mix was the one who ended in the final LP”

From Lewisohn's book:

"We did all the remixes and crossfades to overlap the songs, Paul was there, and we heard it together for the first time," recalls John Kurlander. "He said 'I don't like 'Her Majesty', throw it away,' so I cut it out - but I accidentally left in the last note. He said 'It's only a rough mix, it doesn't matter', in other words, don't bother about making a clean edit because it's only a rough mix. I said to Paul 'What shall I do with it?". 'Throw it away', he replied.

"I'd been told never to throw anything away, so after he left I picked it up off the floor put about 20 seconds of red leader tape before it and stuck it onto the end of the edit tape. The next day, down at Apple, Malcolm Davies cut a playback lacquer of the whole sequence [Mal Evans took the tape to Apple on 31 July, returning it to EMI on the same day] and, even though I'd written on the box that 'Her Majesty' was unwanted, he too thought, 'Well, mustn't throw anything away, I'll put it on at the end'. I'm only assuming this, but when Paul got that lacquer he must have liked hearing 'Her Majesty' tacked on the end. The Beatles always picked up on accidental things. It came as a nice surprise there at the end, and he didn't mind. We never remixed 'Her Majesty' again, that was the mix which ended up on the finished LP."

Not bad, Honorio. Actually, pretty impressive.

5: Blackbird
3: Let It Be
2: Yesterday
1: Nowhere Man

I haven't had the chance to check the forum this weekend. I'm glad that i was right at the end, at least Rain stayed another round .

The downside is that my choices are the same as last week again .

5: Yesterday
4: Hey Jude
3: Penny Lane
2: Nowhere Man

Fascinating story, Honorio! And I had the impression it was John fooling around in the studio at time of breakup. (see "You Know My Name")

5: Penny Lane
4: Help!
3: Nowhere Man
2: A Day in the Life
1: Tomorrow Never Knows

Well, it was going to be Tomorrow Never Knows or The End, but The End is just more fun.

And I'm sorry I've been forgetting my signature:

"I like black music too"

5: Penny Lane
4: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3: In My Life
2: You Never Give Me Your Money
1: Nowhere Man - This song is incredibly simple, both the melody and the rhymes. I have nothing against simple and obvious lyrics though, and here John has begun his mission to save the world. But the melody is a little too simple for the song to be in the top 20, it sounds like one of those melodies you play first when learning a new instrument. Still, it kinda rocks.

5: Tomorrow Never Knows
4: Something
3: Revolver
2: In My Life
1: Strawberry Fields Forever

and I call Revolution "Revolver" yet again....

That's ok. It shows up right next to Revolution when I sort in Excel. If you were calling it Milli we'd have a problem.

Many many thanks, Anthony. You’ve been really kind, but there are some mistakes, some of them quite forgivable for being engineer technical jargon (crossfade, overlap, rough mix, clean edit, red leader tape, playback lacquer). And the usual confusion for a Spaniard between “do” and “make” (we use the verb “hacer” for both meanings).

But the unforgivable is “leaved” instead of “left”.