Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Final results

It's taken nearly nine months, but we've had our last vote in Survivor. The last artist to be kicked off the island?

Bob Dylan (11 votes)

Which means that our champion is:

The Beatles (10 votes)

That was a bit closer than I had expected, actually, although, as a fan of both the Beatles and Dylan, for me, that close call is appropriate.

Later today, I'll post the full list of results, from #106 down to our newly crowned #1.

My effusive thanks to the many, many, many folks who voted in AM Survivor, whether you voted in one week or in all 36 weeks. We've had some great discussion and musical insights (along with a fair bit of controversy and contentiousness). I've learned a lot, and there are some artists I appreciate more now.

Great job, everybody! Thanks again.

Re: AM Survivor: Final results

Thankyou schleuse, it was great - even when (insert your own fave artist here) was voted off it was great.

Whoa, so close!

The end of another great game, thank you again schleuse!

So whose votes didn't count? When I counted them myself I got 12 against The Beatles and 11 against Bob Dylan.

Against:

The Beatles - Paul, mismaiome, Kevin, Midaso, H61R, Chevi, Stephan, Slush, Sonofsamiam, Greg, Moonbeam, Prince (12)

Bob Dylan - John, Schleuse, Daniel, Nicolas, Henrik, Lonesome Panda, Penguin, Schwah, Harpo, Chelsea, Greg rumpff (11)

John, Schleuse, Daniel, Nicolas, Henrik, Lonesome Panda, Penguin, Schwah, Harpo, Chelsea, Greg rumpf

hehe... looks like the ultimate AMF black list in my book now. thanks H61, for doin' the rat part

Sonofsamiam voted for Bob Dylan albeit in a slightly confusing manner (I think).

Prince and.. maybe Greg didn't participate in the earlier rounds (again, I think).

H61R, thanks for keeping me on my toes, and I have to apologize to everyone here: there is a mistake in the numbers above.

It was NOT 11 votes to eliminate Dylan and 10 to eliminate the Beatles!

It was 12 votes to eliminate Dylan and 11 to eliminate the Beatles.

Here’s what happened: every round, I double-check my calculations before posting them. In the case of something as momentous as the Survivor finale, I may triple-check them; in fact, last night, I quadruple-checked them!

Then I went to bed. This morning, I saw that no late votes had come in, and went ahead and made the post above. A brain cell must have died during the night, because I remembered the margin of victory, but not the correct vote total (and, stupidly, I posted from memory instead of re-checking).

The Beatles still win.

I’m really, really sorry about that—I know a y’all trust me to keep track of everything, and when I read H61R’s post, I feared that I had screwed up at the worst possible moment. I did screw up, and even though I had the winner correct, it’s still inexcusable to post the wrong vote total.

H61R, you asked whose votes didn’t count; we established a few months ago that, after there were ten artists left, no new voters would be eligible to cast ballots. Some still did—it’s a free forum, after all—but I did not count them. There were two such votes this week—one to eliminate Dylan (Chelsea) and one to eliminate the Beatles (Prince), so they cancel each other out.

However, on your list you left out two voters who cast ballots to eliminate Dylan: Rune and Reuben & The Jets. That’s the discrepancy.

Stephan, sonofsamiam voted for the Beatles. He said:

"The Beatles are dead, man, miss 'em, miss 'em."

Let me acknowledge the genius of this vote: it's a reference to the whole "Paul Is Dead" controversy.

One of the so-called bits of "evidence" adduced by the conspiracy theory which claims McCartney died in 1966 is some mumbling at the end of "I'm So Tired" (on the White Album) which, when played backward, supposedly sounds like "Paul is dead, man. Miss him, miss him."

oo.kayyy_ .. _it's re-concluded then: John, Schleuse, Daniel, Nicolas, Henrik, Lonesome Panda, Penguin, Schwah, Harpo, Chelsea, Greg Rumpff, Reuben and the Runey... sorry guys, my hitman's lunch still has your names engraved in its dip..

schleuse.... t.i.c.!!

= salute. to you. both of you. all of you. netjade just LOOves t.i.c's. too bad that most of her own went down unreturned...

schleuse: Ah, thanks for that explanation. It's just that I thought to remember sonofsamiam as a Beatles fan.

Not sure what you're saying, netjade...

Thank you?

Yes! A simple "thank you".

Sorry for the perpetual WTF-is-she-talking-aboutness...

What a pity I didn't make a fake ballot as Mitchell Stirling...

schleuse: Ah, thanks for that explanation. It's just that I thought to remember sonofsamiam as a Beatles fan.

I am -- just preferring Dylan a bit more these days.

I did try to clarify myself later on in the thread; hope I didn't wreck the results.

Not at all, sonofsamiam.

And, speaking of results...as promised, here's a recap of the order in which 105 artists were eliminated (and one wasn't).

For anyone who joined us late, and is wondering why we have 106 artists instead of 100, we started with a Loophole Round which was created to admit five artists ranked below the top 100 (and there was a tie, so we ended up with six). Loophole artists are marked with an asterisk.

106. Missy Elliott
105. Captain Beefheart
104. The Eagles
103. Grateful Dead
102. AC/DC
101. Pet Shop Boys
100. Black Sabbath
99. Primal Scream
98. Guns N’ Roses
97. Run-D.M.C.
96. Depeche Mode*
95. Frank Zappa
94. Oasis
93. Metallica
92. Eminem
91. The Band
90. The Jam
89. Patti Smith
88. Madonna
87. Kraftwerk
86. Beastie Boys
85. Fleetwood Mac
84. Elliott Smith*
83. Creedence Clearwater Revival
82. Little Richard
81. T. Rex
80. The Doors
79. John Lennon
78. Joni Mitchell
77. Steely Dan
76. Ramones
75. Buddy Holly
74. New Order
73. Elton John
72. Paul Simon
71. Frank Sinatra
70. Brian Eno
69. Roxy Music
68. The Smiths
67. Pavement
66. The White Stripes
65. Michael Jackson
64. The Police
63. The Cure
62. John Coltrane
61. Blondie
60. Pulp
59. Joy Division
58. The Flaming Lips*
57. Nick Cave
56. U2
55. Massive Attack
54. Parliament/Funkadelic
53. Blur
52. Sex Pistols
51. The Byrds
50. Wilco*
49. OutKast
48. Leonard Cohen
47. Björk
46. Van Morrison
45. Public Enemy
44. Chuck Berry
43. The Stooges
42. Hank Williams*
41. Al Green
40. Lou Reed
39. Simon and Garfunkel
38. Ray Charles
37. Pink Floyd
36. Nick Drake
35. Curtis Mayfield*
34. PJ Harvey
33. Bob Marley and the Wailers
32. Aretha Franklin
31. Sonic Youth
30. Beck
29. Tom Waits
28. James Brown
27. Bruce Springsteen
26. Nirvana
25. Pixies
24. Elvis Presley
23. Otis Redding
22. Miles Davis
21. Sly and the Family Stone
20. Talking Heads
19. Marvin Gaye
18. Led Zeppelin
17. Elvis Costello
16. Johnny Cash
15. The Clash
14. Stevie Wonder
13. The Kinks
12. Prince
11. Jimi Hendrix
10. R.E.M.
9. The Who
8. The Beach Boys
7. Neil Young
6. The Velvet Underground
5. Radiohead
4. David Bowie
3. The Rolling Stones
2. Bob Dylan
1. The Beatles

Almost !!!

Thank you schleuse for all the hard work, it was very entertaining.

Even though (as expected) i don't agree with some of the results, I'm glad that 5 out of the 6 first artists are in my personal top 10 .

Sorry for the perpetual WTF-is-she-talking-aboutness...

You mean people misunderstand you?

That's odd.

Schleuse, thank you so much for running such a vibrant competition. As usual, I learned a great deal and I believe many people can say the same. Your presence here has really greatly enhanced the forum, and (dare I say it?) your contributions have made this forum somewhat of a family.

Great game, though the results in the end was a bit too predictable. Pet Shop Boys should have been up there. That would have been fun and surprising.

It would be surprising, but not fun.

Hate to echo what others have already said, but thanks a lot to schleuse for another wonderful creation. Can't wait for the next idea (besides the Hall of Fame one, that is).

Wonderful game, schleuse. Now I can say that I completely regret not participate enough. I was (absurdly, I know) afraid by the negative aspects of the game. I mean, we are not professional critics, they are forced to write about things they don’t like and to be destructive (some of them really enjoy that aspect) but we, as amateur critics, can write only about the things we like. Anyway the game has been really instructive (although I’m still haven’t studied in depth the Myxolidian mode) and I’ve read all the comments (well, almost all, you know the ones that I skipped). Anyway, schleuse, count on me for the HOA. Yes, even with the plaques, I can write the one for Elvis if you can wait till the first week of August when I come back for my holidays…

(well, almost all, you know the ones that I skipped)

"there's some people, you know who I'm talking about". The suspense is killin' me. Who was it? Eh? Eh? Don't be so mysterious.

Back from holidays in Britanny, first thing I have to say : thanks, schleuse. I had a wonderful time playing this game.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I've said it before, but Survivor (and bracketology and the HOA) would not work without the intelligence, and love for music, of the people who post to this forum.

I'm risking netjade's henchmen just by popping up here, but I couldn't let this go by without adding my thanks to Schleuse. I find that these games and polls really spark some interesting discussions. So thanks to the AMF's mad scientist...

[bullet whizzes just past Schwah's head]

Er... gotta run.

Haha, funny Schwah.

I only contributed to a little over 50% of Survivor, but it was still a well planned and executed endeavour (as all of your projects have been, schleuse).

You are AM's Doctor Finklestein, no question.