Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AYCOADB: Thread 11

whoach! thanks, Panda, almost oversleeped it...
1996. the whole bill pullman vs bob dole suite. ripped.
and. legally. NOW.

10. (10) Gangsta's Paradise (1995). Coolio ft L.V.

Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise

I remember that song as soon as exposed to an average teen party kraut (awful pun, I know) in late summer 95, it usually got played six times in a row. minimum. that must have digged something for some reason. at least in an AYCO for a honorable second time..

Re: AYCOADB: Thread 11

09. (--) Devils Haircut (1996). Beck Jr.

self concepts of arts and merchants.relumining.while..crispy.

08. (--) No Diggity (1996). BLACKstreet ft Dr. Dre & Queen Pen

guess what tag line I had in mind posting this ludacrous(sic) r'n'b revival twist: something like thank dawg you were listening to Grandma this time, Terry, now get yo re.newed jacked up ass redeemed INSTANTLEE before one of your next outputs will wreck it again.. ... sumzing like zat, I guess.
as well.

07. (--) Killing Me Softly (1996). Fugees

enter & brainstorm 1996's most memorable, durable chart injections (the good, the bad, the ugly...) and you'll find amid Macarena, Lemon Tree or Wannabe this little real bird of lack (i hate my puns, I HATE MY PUNS!!) tree pew'd..

06. (--) Firestarter (1996). Prodigy

as much as I can remember springtime 96, apparently EVERYbody at my school was discussing that friggin video. ay. ay. ay. ay...
so for jolly's sake... send in the clown. again. inhale. inhale. the dark knight's coming. rip--

05. (--) WOO-Hah!! Got You All In Check (1996). Busta Rhymes

what was Ol Dirty thinking all the while...

04. (05) Da Funk (1995). Daft Punk

Daft Punk - Da Funk

acknowlegding shifts and changes... from 93 till 96 there was a mighty little revolution going on that went far too offbeat to get stuck in someone's throat too soon... though in someone's midriff it got fit quite well instead. now, excuse me and consider this thread to be a little adjustment of the good ole civil wars of the late whatever-they-wereturies. we had boundaries to get broken down...

03. (01) Common People (1995). Pulp

Pulp - Common People

Now, guess what. My best friend at that time was half greek and she actually DID fall in love with a guy due to his "inscrutable lower class wit/instinct/manner... ehhh swagger.. origin.. whateverthingy" (I prefer to call it the Shangri La's syndrome). btw, it was the same year when that guy started to write a short story with a female antagonist character in it that by accidence happened to have a name not uncommon to these forum's perpetually re-occuring lifeform dwellings.. ps: I've called my dad to stop it all.

02. (--) Setting Sun (1996). The Chemical Brothers w/Noel Gallagher

this went straight to #1 in UK. O memorized that autumn sunday very clearly with me gasping in front of the radio. damn,,,, actually, there WAS a god...

01. (02) BORN SLIPPY (NUXX) (1995). Underworld

it's an 1996 track. period. it everEVER belongs to horse tails, Danny and Ewan, that full monty beer glass
throwing Hitler guy and the twisting Baby head.
otherwise,
I WANT MY FCKING YOUTH BACK. good night.

Why does everyone insist on putting Born Slippy(Nuxx) - it's better without the nuxx...

exactly, midaso. it's Acclaimedical Correctness, as far as I conceive, so just go ahead. develop your crystal juice. bring back the beauty. shroud the skull. abandon the thoughts, just smash that monster!!

a female antagonist character in it that by accidence happened to have a name not uncommon to these forum's perpetually re-occuring lifeform dwellings.. ps: I've called my dad to stop it all.

That poor netjade 'd so wade through the upbraid of promenade by esplanade so underlaid and parqueted, and yet retort and thus pervade! with a tirade that fits not to be said is staid, oh much akin rodomontade - perhaps in sips of lemon orangeade? - and is therefore repaid with acts whose act they'd well overpersuade. Jade green, jade plant! What did the old grenade say to the grant-in-aid across the street from the harlequinade? Low-grade, high-grade, glaceed a gasconade? Unless I say I've told I've said! - I gainsaid all your fusillade. Abrade, afraid, expel my foreign aid, aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera; I lay it all, I lay it all, I lay it here plain-said.

According to RYM, Born Slippy was released as early as April 1995, then re-relased as the NUXX mix in 1996. So I guess I should either remove the NUXX or change the year.

But it's the nuxx that is acclaimed. No one cares about the original.

Oh, I ahve 1997 don't I?

I think you guys may have to wait until Thursday (in the States at least). I'm still on vacation.

then 1998 will have to wait 'til next Monday because I will be on a long week-end in the south of France

Then 1999 will have to wait until I metamorphose into the mythical fishnetamethyst as per my inspiration on this forum.

YESSSSS NETJADE!!!!!

I was hoping another Born Slippy fan would inherit my list, especially since there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for electronic music on this forum.

and I was sooo yummy that you've brought Da Funk into the game, Slush. didn't count on that either...

A return to rock root in many peoples' eyes, but the electronic influence is still seen. In Britain, Britpop was coming to an end. In America, boy bands were beginning their reign. Time for...

Back for another round, some random French guys.

10.(04) (3 Years) Daft Punk – Da Funk (1995)

And even more of them (odd that they're on this list twice already; I don't really love them).

9. (--) (NEW) Daft Punk – Around the World (1997)

1996 was a year I had to rediscover. I was only 5 then. But these guys took me a while to understand. I still don't love house and electronic music, but this is pretty damn good.

8. (02) (2 Years) The Chemical Brothers – Setting Sun (1996)

I can't say I've heard the new Beck or even listen to him that much, but I appreciate what he can do. He's really just amazingly versatile - a shape-shifter that can change his direction on a whim. Few artists can do that today. This song is one of his best.

7. (09) (2 Years) Beck – Devils Haircut (1996)

And an odd video as well.

This song is what some call a "gateway" song - that is one that easily introduces someone to a particular sound or artist. I don't feel the same way; there's another song from the same album that's a better and more pop-oriented introduction. Of course, Radiohead didn't make too many mainstream singles or albums, but they produced an unexpected hit in "OK Computer". This is, in my opinion, one of its weaker tracks (but still excellent).

6. (--) (NEW) Radiohead – Paranoid Android (1997)

This is the oldest song on this list, but still pretty recent. I don't have much to say, just to point out that netjade is afraid of Youtube.

5. (01) (3 Years) Underworld – Born Slippy (NUXX) (1995)

And I like the NUXX version better myself.

Now this is a band I really love. It's also one that I expect to place relatively high, due to the large amount of love it gets an this forum. Anyway, this was a hit in America and is often associated with this act here. Too bad they usually sound much better than this. Damon Albarn can thank grunge for his hit.

4. (--) (NEW) Blur – Song 2 (1997)

And an acapella version of it:

And I just realized that I write really choppy sentences...

3. (--) (NEW) Radiohead – Karma Police (1997)

A million times better than "Sexy Sadie"

I said let's all meet up in the year 2000/Won't it be strange when were all fully grown...

...wrong song.

But the theme remains the same.

2. (03) (3 Years) Pulp – Common People (1995)

1. (--) (NEW) HANSON – MMMBOP (1997)

THE ULTIMATE ANTHEM OF 1997!!!

Obviously, nobody was fooled by that, although I am amazed that that song is acclaimed at all, let alone that high up.

Alright, the real number one. This was a hard decision between this and Pulp, but it is, after all, the greatest song the Rolling Stones (n)ever wrote.

1. (--) (NEW) The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony (1997)

I'll take 2003 if its still available.

So, summary:

1. (--) (NEW) The Verve – Bitter Sweet Symphony (1997)
2. (03) (3 Years) Pulp – Common People (1995)
3. (--) (NEW) Radiohead – Karma Police (1997)
4. (--) (NEW) Blur – Song 2 (1997)
5. (01) (3 Years) Underworld – Born Slippy (NUXX) (1995)
6. (--) (NEW) Radiohead – Paranoid Android (1997)
7. (09) (2 Years) Beck – Devils Haircut (1996)
8. (02) (2 Years) The Chemical Brothers – Setting Sun (1996)
9. (--) (NEW) Daft Punk – Around the World (1997)
10. (04) (3 Years) Daft Punk – Da Funk (1995)

Left out:
Busta Rhymes - Woo-Hah!! (Got You All in Check)
The Prodigy - Firestarter
Fugees - Killing Me Softly
Blackstreet ft Dr. Dre - No Diggity
Coolio ft L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise
Cornershop - Brimful of Asha
The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
Hanson - Mmmbop
The Notorious B.I.G. - Mo Money Mo Problems
The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize

I don't really love rap (and I wish I could have continued on Slush's 1995 list). As Pete Townsend (among many) have said, "Long live rock!"

And here comes 1998, the year of Zinedine Zidane, Didier Deschamps, Lilian Thuram but also the year when France won the World Cup of Soccer and the year when we beat Brazil 3-0 in final.
I guess some other things happened but honestly, I doubt the many French people can remember anything else that year.
It is also quite strangely the year which 2 best songs are ranked 11th and 21th quite surprisingly !

P.S : Hope I will post good youtube files since for an unknown reason youtube tends to not work when I'm on this forum at the same time.

10. (1) Bitter Sweet Symphony (1997) The Verve

Unfortunately for Brandy & Monica's fan (if there are some), I won't break the unofficial AYOCADB's rule. So I have to keep that song on my list, even if I really don't want to ! I used to like it a bit when I was younger, but I now would turn the radio off if I heard it.

9. (3) Song 2 (1997) Blur

I have nothing against brit pop but I have heard this song too much during the 10 last years, in every party, on the radio, even on a bunch of videogames… but well, even if it is too short, not representative of Blur's talents and a bit overrated, If I'm drunk enough, it still works !

8. (4) Karma Police (1997) Radiohead

Far from the best song of OK Computer… but well does that really means anything ?

7. (- -) Doo Wop (That Thing) (199 Lauryn Hill

Here is the revenge of the diva for "If I ruled the world" not being on the top 10 of 1996 ! That song is pure sunshine, and when a great song is deserved by a great video (which kinda sums up why the song is that good), what more could we ask ?

6. (- -) You Get What You Give (199 New Radicals

I guess Anthony would have killed me if I had not put it in my list, anyway even if I have heard it about 10 times yesterday (I have had the great idea to listen to all the eligible songs with friends of mine, and it seems that this one is their favourite), I'm not bored yet... I suppose that is a good sign

5. (2) Common People (1995) Pulp

I have always found Jarvis Cocker boring and pretentiously arty; anyway this song is great… almost the only good use of a synth on the 90s (which does not mean there have been much on the other decades neither)

4. (6) Paranoid Android (1997) Radiohead

Almost everything has been said about that song on this forum… probably sometimes too much, anyway even if it is not either on my 5 favourite of OK Computer, it remains a piece of bravery

2. (- -) Praise You (199 Fatboy Slim

This is with Song 2 one of the only songs to really bring me back 10 years in the past (well, Brandy & Monica would have too, damn you Verve !) since I did not listen to that much music then. First because You've come a long way baby was probably one of my favourite albums then, but also because of its brilliant video with those shameless dancers disturbing a crowd. Technically Spike Jonze has done better music videos (even if he can not stand the competition with Gondry) but this one is by far his funniest.

Praise You was 3rd, sorry for the typo !

2. ( Settin Sun (1996) The Chemical Brothers

I really didn't think this song would last so long, anyway looks like tomorrow indeed tomorrow never knows (haha, what a witty remark) and I'm glad to see an other of my 50 all-time favourite still in the game !

And the winner is : 1. (- -) Intergalactic (199 Beastie Boys

Yep, the other songs did not even stand a chance against my 2nd favourite band ever (oops, looks like I'm leaking clues of my artist poll list)… that song does not sum up what this band can do (none of their songs would anyway) but remains one of their fun summit (and yeah, whatever some of you think, they can also be deep and serious !). The sample is perfect, the rhymes are funny and it's the perfect introduction to a great crazy versatile album... the only bad point is that honestly the flow is not the best they have done in their carreer (a bit repetitive maybe).
I'm the only one to blame for having heard it too much and having peed in my pants when I have heard the "drooooooooop" on gig... well I did not but I could have...

Kicked out :
Underworld – Born Slippy (NUXX) (1995)
Beck – Devils Haircut (1996)
Daft Punk – Around the World (1997)
Daft Punk – Da Funk (1995)

Never made it :

Brandy and Monica - The Boy Is Mine
Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
Hole - Celebrity Skin
Madonna - Ray Of Light
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
Air - Sexy Boy

Forgot the most important :

now, what kind of patriotism is that, Panda: honouring the WC98 sentiments while setting 4 superb domestic tubes cold-heartedly aside...?!?

nawm, seriously: great 10 (esp. those sweet 3)..

I have never liked the so called "french touch", even if it was much better than Justice...
The real great French electronic act is Vitalic's Ok Cowboy ! (Agoria's album was quite good too).