AM Survivor: Week 33

How to disappear completely:

5. Radiohead (66)

And, at long last…our final four:

David Bowie (65)
The Rolling Stones (64)
The Beatles (53)
Bob Dylan (52)

I note that those are also Acclaimed Music’s top four artists. Which might seem slightly dismaying, but then that’s why they call it consensus…

This week, your top choice for elimination gets only 4 points.

Let’s start Week 33, shall we?

Re: AM Survivor: Week 33

1. (4p) Daiwid Baui
2. (3p) Bobb Dühlen
3. (2p) Die Rohling Stohns
4. (1p) Die Bietels

By my count, there are 11 men left on the island. Ten of them are English, and three of them are dead. The oldest are Bill Wyman (71) and Ringo Starr (will turn 68 on Saturday). The youngest are David Bowie (61) and Jagger and Richards (both 64). Their average age is 66.

For purposes of this calculation, I’m considering the Rolling Stones to be the lineup with Brian Jones. If we count Mick Taylor (a spry 59) instead, average age drops to 65.

I thought Radiohead would stay longer. It seemed like they had so many fans, who by heart (or strategically) gave them 1 point. It was either for or against, I must have been almost the only one who gave them 3 points in the last round. Anyway, here I go again:

4p Bob Dylan
3p Rolling Stones
2p David Bowie
1p Beatles

Clear boundaries!

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. The Rolling Stones
4. David Bowie

4p Bob Dylan
3p The Rolling Stones
2p The Beatles
1p David Bowie

4 pts: Bowie
3 pts: Stones
2 pts: Beatles
1 pt: Dylan

Sad to see Radiohead go. But it's expected, they seem to be a love-hate type group where there's no in between ground. If I had done strategic voting, Radiohead might still be in...

1. David Bowie
2. Bob Dylan
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Beatles

Here's for hoping the Stones stay in for one more week!

schleuse, if it's easy for you, I'd be interested in seeing standard deviations as well as the sum of points from last week, to see the level of agreement for each artist.

So sad to see Radiohead go - they're definitely more consistent than the Beatles

4: The Beatles
3: Rolling Stones
2: David Bowie
1: Bob Dylan

You got it, Henrik. The standard deviations among the artists last week:

The Beatles: 1.72
Radiohead: 1.49
Bob Dylan: 1.39
The Rolling Stones: 1.24
David Bowie: 1.16

The most polarized opinions, by far, were on the Beatles—they received five “worst” votes and nine “best” votes (out of 20 ballots).

Radiohead, in second place, was markedly less polarizing than the Fab Four, with six “worst” votes and only three “best” votes.

The artist about whom voters disagreed the least was Bowie. Only three “worst” votes and one “best.”

(Standard deviation takes into account all the votes; I'm just using the extremes to give you a general idea.)

Rolling Stones 4
Bowie 3
Dylan 2
Beatles 1

1. THE ROLLING STONES
2. DAVID BOWIE
3. BOB DYLAN
4. THE BEATLES

Although I have had Radiohead at the top of my ballot for…let’s see…each of the last seven weeks, I’m not entirely happy about the fact that the Final Four skews so heavily to the sixties and early seventies (as perhaps you could tell from my slightly snarky age statistics, above).

If you put all 3000 albums on AM in chronological order from 1940 to 2006, the midpoint is 1980. The remaining four artists released 52 acclaimed albums before that date, and only 8 after it (not counting Scary Monsters, which came out in 1980 itself).

For AM songs, the midpoint is 1978. Our final four released 129 acclaimed songs before that year and 14 after (plus two from 1978 itself—“Miss You” and “Beast of Burden”).

Now, I understand where that bias is coming from, and I’m not saying that any of these artists are undeserving. But that disparity does bother me…

schleuse, many thanks for the extra stats. I was sure that Radiohead would have the highest SD...I didn't realize Beatles got so many 5-points! Yes, I remember seeing on or two of them and waving them off as occasional errors.

4-POINTS- BOB DYLAN
3-POINTS- The Rolling Stones
2-POINTS- David Bowie
1-POINT- The Beatles

1. Beatles
2. Dylan
3. Bowie
4. Stones

Here we go again:

4 pts - Los Rolling Stones
3 pts - Los Beatles
2 pts - David Bowie
1 pts - Bob Dylan

And it seems that Bob actually has chances of winning ! .

4 points- Rolling Stones
3 points- David Bowie
2 points- Bob Dylan
1 point- Beatles

4 points: David Bowie
3 points: The Beatles
2 points: Bob Dylan
1 point: The Rolling Stones

Sad to see Radiohead go since they were the only "modern" band. Let's see what happens after the next Radiohead album hits...and here's hoping the Stones can hold on for another week.

4 Points - The Beatles
3 Points - The Rolling Stones
2 Points - Bob Dylan
1 Points - David Bowie

1. (4p) De Bitels
2. (3p) De Rolin Estons
3. (2p) Deivid Boui
4. (1p) Bob Dilan

Phew!

1) The Beatles
2) David Bowie
3) The Rolling Stones
4) Bob Dylan

I'm enjoying seeing these alternate spellings this time around...

4 pts: Robert Zimmerframe (childish of me, I know)
3 pts: The Rollin' Stones
2 pts: David Jones
1 pt: The Quarrymen

1. (4 pts) The Rolling Stones
2. (3 pts) David Bowie
3. (2 pts) Bob Dylan
1. (1 pt) The Beatles

I DUNNO ABOUT THOSE SCORES. I did my own calculations and I came up with the fallowing.

Radiohead 69
David Bowie 75
The Rolling Stones 77

Some of the answers can be mistaken for what they truely are. Some people list 1 -5 and only leave you a hint as to start from 1 or 5 and give points accordingly. I looked very close to everyones anwsers, and this is what I came out with. I Dunno if theres a rule or something that you may have taken into place that changes and alters week 32's results. But if not, then you either need to recount or take my word for it that the rolling stones should be off the ISLAND

The ballots of voters who did not participate before the top 10 started are not eligible. That will surely explain the discrepancy.

Stephan is correct.

My Bad. i remember someting about that now. Thanks guys

4pts - Bob Dylan
3pts - David Bowie
2pts - The Rolling Stones
1pt - Tha Beatles , For their use of the Lydian Mode

Did I participate before the top 10 started? If not please tell me so I don't keep posting

Yep. You're in, H61.

4 points - David Bowie
3 points - Rolling Stones
2 points - Bob Dylan
1 point - The Beatles

Who is not elgible to vote. I was voting on this way before the the top 10.

1p - dylan
2p -The beatles
3p -rolling stones
4p - david bowie

Radiohead is the greatest band of all time, the problem is, some people arent capable of repeated listens. Only some songs of theres "had me at Hello". It the third and forth listens when the songs start to unravel in marvelous ways. Its complex, intricate, absorbing, and involving. I hopes those of you that had radiohead as there 5point artist last week, take a further listen into radiohead. There are secrets to be told, and lessons to be learned.

Kevin, I was one of the people who gave Radiohead five points (for reasons I won't rehash here, since I know it's no fun to have your favorite band kicked off the island). But:

"There are secrets to be told, and lessons to be learned."

Truer words were never typed on this forum. And not just about Radiohead--we should keep that sentence in mind when listening to ANY artist. That's a great statement about the need to keep an open mind. Thanks.

Reuben, you and the Jets are eligible (although we haven't heard from y'all in a while).

I have thousands of CD's and Vinyl, In fact I own probably everthing a human can get ahold of on the remaining 4 artists. Hell Ive seen dylan in concert 7 times, bowie 2 and the rolling stones I cant fit on my hands. Im just saying, radiohead tend not to get the deep listens they deserve. Partially due to his unique writting style, and partially due to there being so modern (Big problem with alot of the people who view this site) People just seem to jump to conclusions with radiohead far more then any of the other remaining artists

..or they just don't like them as much.

I too was one of the people who gave Radiohead 5 points last week, and like I've said before.. I have really really tried to like them (OK Computer is probably one of the albums I've listened to most that I don't think is particularly great) because a lot of people with great taste seem to like them. But alas, I have not seen the light yet.. and I don't know if I ever will.

Argh...If I would have only voted last week, Radiohead would still be here. Oh well.

Here are my votes this week:

1. David Bowie (4 points)
2. Bob Dylan (3 points)
3. The Rolling Stones (2 points)
4. The Beatles (1 point)

Stephan - I think you're the only one on this site not mesmerized by OK Computer

2005 top albums poll - #1
2008 top albums poll - #1
1990s top albums poll - #1
It's the Tiger Woods of rock albums

i'm not really mesmerized by it. i don't like tiger woods either, maybe that's why.

I'd say it's the Roger Federer of rock albums......

I haven't heard OK Computer.

I was going to say Roger Federer,Slush but then he got 'demolished' 6-4,6-4,6-7,6-7,9-7 by Rafael Nadal in the final of Wimbledon today...
(Greatest match of all time)

That's my point

Stephan - I think you're the only one on this site not mesmerized by OK Computer

Nah, not really. I'm making an effort to be bored of everything "in plain sight"...

Unfortunately, that means I end up thinking that bands like Eels were better than Radiohead...

And that R.E.M. are exactly as good as The Beatles.

Who knows?

4 points - The Beatles

I don't really think their early period was that good; almost everyone seemed to be better than them at the time - they sounded washed-out in comparison. And later on, when they became unquestionable visionaries, they were still a step behind everyone else.

Is a song like "Eleanor Rigby" really better than the same year's "Psychotic Reaction" by the much more obscure The Count Five?

They're still my favorite band of course, but I think they're so dull.

3 points - David Bowie

I used to love Ziggy Stardust, but Hunky Dory never captivated me, and I thought his later albums only went down well in halves. Now, though, half of his songs annoy me. I can't last through "Space Oddity" or "Life On Mars?" - his voice is so screechy. To think of it, I prefer his 2002 album all of his others.

2 points - The Rolling Stones

Probably their early period was their best. "Satisfaction" is not the #2 song of all time, not by a long shot. And their cool riffin' songs are like any other band's. Another case where the myth has become too large.

But they're awesome whenever I try to remember how I used to love em.

1 point - Bob Dylan

I don't think the 60's were better than the 90's. They were more simplistic for one, and you were able to get away with a lot more. The protest songs, for one, were as awful as the worst 90's hip-hop. Dylan's early prophet period is a tuneless pedestrian platitude-ridden load of bull.

But I do dig his 1965/1966 period - more than half of his legacy is in them, yeah, but it's good.