Pure pop delights (week 3)

THE RED BUTTON - "Cruel girl"

ROGER JOSEPH MANNING JR. - "Too late for us now"

JACKDAW4 - "Jesus wants my soul back"

THE MERRYMAKERS - "Saltwater drinks"

BRYAN SCARY & THE SHREDDING TEARS - "The fire-tree bird"

BC CAMPLIGHT - "Blood and peanut butter"

Re: Pure pop delights (week 3)

Wow, absolutely delicious. We must call this style from now on “dumbangelical”. You really got a sixth sense for finding pop gems. Keep it posting.
(the same about the wonderful Gillett thread by Nicolas, you French AMers really got great taste and strong arguments to defend it)

The following songs are not exactly the same style, but some well-know songs from the 90s that tried to reach the ideal pop song (and came really close).

THE LEMONHEADS “It’s About Time” (1993)

TEENAGE FANCLUB “Sparky’s Dream” (1995)

Teenage Fanclub - Sparkys Dream

SUGAR “If I Can’t Change Your Mind” (1992)

FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE “Radiation Vibe” (1996)

I'll second "Radiation Vibe". That chorus is a pure pop money-shot, right in the face.

Thank you Honorio. I'm glad that someone like this kind of music. This is pop music, but sadly unpopular pop music. That is why I often call this music "pure pop" to differenciate it with "commercial" pop like Britney Spears or other crappy things that hit the charts. Often influenced by '60s pop (Beach Boys and Beatles for the most part), I file under this name styles like power-pop, baroque-pop, sunshine-pop or psyche-pop. These styles are old-fashioned these days and I think that in a fairer world some of these artists would hit the charts. Why ? Because, it's accessible, ear-catching, gorgeous, easy to listen and easy to love, just like an old Beatles pop song. And I think there's nothing more essential in music that a good melody, a good songwriting and some good arrangements.

Great FOW song Honorio !
This "radiation vibe" is a killer.