Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Classical Music

Are there actually definitive versions of classical music pieces?
When people write down names of them,they always write down the composer and not the actual orchestra playing it.
Is a piece just supposed to sound the same if played by any orchestra?

Re: Classical Music

No, of course they don't sound the same.

Sometimes the orchestra is not as talented as you'd expect, while sometimes it is. And sometimes they take a slightly different approach to things that some appreciate and some dislike.

Some orchestras have a lot of reputation, but the problem is that you'll not find a lot of consensus for many. Folks see flaws that aren't there, and miss out on others that are.

It used to bother me too. But getting twenty versions of the same pieces, each by a different orchestra, is not feasible. So just get whatever someone knowledgeable-sounding recommends you.

Me, I treat orchestras like I treat different versions of pop albums. I look through a few, think a la "well, is the DCC Gold version better? is the Toshiba Black Triangle? or maybe the 25th anniversary remaster?" and decide on one and never listen to the others again.

Though, of course, more recent composers do tend to have their own renditions of their works - which are probably more definitive than not.

But the bulk of classical renditions can range from anywhere from tame to off-the-wall. You're usually informed if it's off-the-wall beforehand, though.

Hey Joe,

You might want to pick up the Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music. I think it's about $30 but it tells you the best available version of any piece (according to the writers). Also see this website

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best-classic-wks.html

The list of greatest conductors is kind of helpful - at the very least it points you towards the big names and you might find that you like the work of one more than others, etc.

Great recommendations, Greg.

The CBS Great Performances collection is good. Many times the CD's they have are considered the best you can get for that particular piece.