Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AYCOADB: Thread 9

... what a blissful time for history to get carved in concrete shatters like these...
1989 was all about the man in his buddy car who accidently happened to save the world.
my paean to him and my childhood... making cheeseburgers famous will never be the same again

now hassel this, Cold War..

Re: AYCOADB: Thread 9

10. (--) Epic (1989). Faith No More

caused a broad uproar due to the alleged death of a fish.

obviously, pianos do not matter in this world anymore..

09. (--) Like A Prayer (1989). Madonna

dearest Pepsi, I'd prefer you over that soap dish Coca groat ANYtime, but frankly spoken: whenever I drink you I think of something else. you're cowardly pathetic..

08. (01) Teenage Riot (198 . Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot

to whom it may concern: we're off the road now and back on the streets.

07. (--) Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) (1989). Soul II Soul

computer blue at its core. still forecasts how overtly needed those 1990's actually were...

06. (02) Waiting Room (198 . Fugazi

Fugazi - Fugazi

once it sounded like the path of modern guitar music.
that was before it ended in Sunny Day Real Estate, of course...

06. (02) Waiting Room (198 . Fugazi

Fugazi - Fugazi

AND I CAN'T STAND THE FRIGGING SUNGLASSES GUY

05. (--) Debaser (1989). Pixies

(bostonfoodsucks)

04. (06) Freak Scene (198 . Dinosaur Jr.

Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene

the essence of what went horrifingly right in the 1980's ( )

03. (--) Fight The Power (1989). Public Enemy

they called this mellow aiello. (quite... uhmm.. fightly)

02. (--) Fools Gold (1989). The Stone Roses

clubbed to death and glory, I surely do NOT need to tell you what's going down...

Great list, netjade. And, as usual, clever and funny comments (like the one about Pepsi!). But you’re getting me really anxious about the Number 1.
Number One… Number One… Number One…

thanks very much, Honorio. I hope that number 1 will somehow be of use to you, because apart from its greatness it's first of all a small tribute to the very first album I possessed...

01. (--) ME MYSELF AND I (1989). De La Soul

believe it or not, it was my Dad who introduced me to that kind of music by playing stuff like Boogie Down Production's "Ghetto Music" or Kool Moe Dee's "Knowledge Is King" on his car stereo while picking me up from school (it was a rather strange phase of him as he turned back to jazz, Gilles Servat and Van Morrison very, very soon after that..). All I knew about Hip Hop at that time was Walk This Way, a best friend's mixtape with "Licensed To Ill" on the one and "Hot, Cool, Vicious" on the other side and two songs from the radio I was thoroughly devoted to: Fat Boys' "Wipe Out" and "Say No Go" by... well... of course my father had noticed that and proposed me to join him on one of his record buying weekend sessions, so the rest of this story is rather clear and somehow explains why I'm now here...

anyway.. Salute, 3FHAR, you (and Aretha Franklin) have definitely made my life...

Hot, Cool & Vicious jade? Awesome!

according to the wee papa rules,

The Conclusion:

01.(--/01) Me Myself And I (1989). De La Soul
02.(--/01) Fools Gold (1989). The Stone Roses
03.(--/01) Fight The Power (1989). Public Enemy
04.(06/02) Freak Scene (1988). Dinosaur Jr.
05.(--/01) Debaser (1989). Pixies
06.(02/02) Waiting Room (1988). Fugazi
07.(--/01) Back To Life (1989). Soul II Soul
08.(01/02) Teenage Riot (1988). Sonic Youth
09.(--/01) Like A Prayer (1989). Madonna
10.(--/01) Epic (1989). Faith No More

yeah, Moonbeam, those songs definitely branded my childhood - all along with the Theme from Ghostbusters, Huey Lewis' The Power Of Love, Aretha's Who's Zoomin' Who, Sam Cooke's The Man And His Music, You Can Call Me Al, Jokerman and that signature tune from Local Hero ...

netjade, many thanks for this!

Now we know all about thou, thyself and thee.

Excellent list, netjade, and excellent #1.
My anxiety has completely gone… I’ll explain it: I planned to vote out Joy Division (yes, the sense of culpability for eliminating The Beach Boys). But if your #1 had been “Love Will Tear Us Apart” I couldn’t have broke the (unwritten) rule of not voting out the number one of last year. So you made it much easier for me.

So tomorrow Sunday DJ Hon will host the 1990 program. Stay tuned.

netjade, you have no chance to survive make your time.

fuhgettit... all my splinters are belong to me....

That rule was broken already, cause Don Henley (my #1 of 1984) was voted off the round after. Not that I blame whoever did that, because I can understand the dislike, but still..

Hi, one question: are netjade and mismaiome actually the same person?!! sorry that I haven't caught the joke yet. So long, and in any case, I love this site. Greetings, Pat.

On Friday evenings yes. (vodka martini)

Hi everyone. Good morning, good afternoon or good evening (depending on the part of the world you’re on). You’re listening to WWAM, your favourite radio station. Are you ready for the party?
Well, let’s go then. I’m DJ Hon, hosting our end of the year special program 9 years after the last time. In 1981 the list was invaded by robots, those were the days of synthesizers and vocoders. But at the end of the 80s decade we have lived two simultaneous revolutions (that somehow reproduced the ones that we lived at the end of the 70s). While in 1977-1978 there were the punk and disco revolutions, in 1988-1989 there were the alternative-rock and the rave-house ones. And not forgetting the hip-hop explosion.

So now is party time. And we are 24-hour party people. Just what it is what you want to do? We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna get “Loaded”, we wanna have a good time. That’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna have a good time. We’re gonna have a party.

10. (NEW) Primal Scream – Loaded

Wow, great party (but maybe too much dope). Anyway I don’t want to lose the load, let’s go to another party. Look there, this is a really exclusive one. Please read it again, I’m on the guest list, that’s for sure. Strike a pose… Come on… “Vogue”… Let your body move to the music…

9. (NEW) Madonna - Vogue

That was a classy party, boys. But let’s get away from this sophistication, I need something much rawer. But, wait a minute, this is not a party. This is a riot. Sonic Youth and their daydream nation (Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Mark E. Smith, Sun Ra, Daniel Johnston, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Dennis Wilson, Ian MacKaye, Mike Watt, Joni Mitchell, Nick Cave, Henry Rollins and many others, just see the video below) are leading a “Teenage Riot” on a public station.

8. (8 ) (3 years) Sonic Youth – Teenage Riot

Not enough riot? Not enough fighting? Well, let’s join Public Enemy fighting the power. Just scroll up to see the video and get it, let’s get this party started right. Right on! C’mon! What we got to say, power to the people, no delay.

7. (3) (2 years) Public Enemy – Fight the Power

But enough fighting and enjoy LIFE now. Let’s get into a party that we will never want to leave. Let’s have a bubble bath, let’s dress up, let’s drink, let’s dance, let’s kiss. Let me in, I’ve got an invitation with a quote: “She was never bored because she was never boring”. We got too much time to find for ourselves, we will never worry that time would come to an end.

6. (NEW) Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring

Sad to leave this party, I would be glad to stay there forever but… Look, not everyone is having fun. Look, there is a girl crying. She’s the girl of VU’s “All Tomorrow Parties” that “cried behind the door”. She goes out every night and sleeps all day but nothing can take away these blues. Because, you know, “Nothing Compares 2 U”.

5. (NEW) Sinéad O’Connor – Nothing Compares 2 U

The echoes of two fantastic parties of last year are lingering still. First there was that Daisy Age Party hosted by De La Soul represented here with “Me. Myself and I”. And then there was that bizarre Doolittle Party with some Andalou chien slicing up eyeballs. The two best 1989 albums are still getting props here in WWAM.

4. (1) (2 years) De La Soul – Me, Myself and I

3. (5) (2 years) Pixies – Debaser

(scroll up to see the videos)

But here we are, in the definitive party, the mother of all parties. We’re going to dance and have some fun. House, disco, funk, hip-hop. Bootsy Collins on bass, Maceo Parker on brass, Q-Tip on rap, Towa Tei and Dmitry on scratching and sampling and, of course, Lady Miss Kier on soulful vocals. Remember, “Groove Is in the Heart”. Just de-lovely and delicious.

2. (NEW) Deee-Lite – Groove Is in the Heart

Well, hope you had enjoyed with me this trip from one party to another. But now we must decide where we want to stay. And I have no doubt. I want to stay in pop heaven, in a place where I could feed my addiction, where I could listen to this sweet pop song again and again. “There She Goes”, there she goes again, pulsing through my veins.

1. (NEW) The La’s – There She Goes

The list:
1. (NEW) The La’s – There She Goes
2. (NEW) Deee-Lite – Groove Is in the Heart
3. (5) (2 years) Pixies – Debaser
4. (1) (2 years) De La Soul – Me, Myself and I
5. (NEW) Sinéad O’Connor – Nothing Compares 2 U
6. (NEW) Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring
7. (3) (2 years) Public Enemy – Fight the Power
8. (8 ) (3 years) Sonic Youth – Teenage Riot
9. (NEW) Madonna - Vogue
10. (NEW) Primal Scream – Loaded

Eliminated:
The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene
Fugazi - Waiting Room
Soul II Soul - Back to Life
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Faith No More - Epic

Missed the cut:
Happy Mondays – Step On
Garth Brooks – Friends in Low Places
LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
Digital Underground – The Humpty Dance

And that was all for this century. See you in XXI Century, and don’t let the party stops. Stay tuned in WWAM.

Great story Honorio! Like Shara Nelson in the Unfinished Sympathy video, I was walking in a crowded big city, except it was nighttime and I checked out all the clubs along the street. What a street it was!

Thanks a lot, Henrik. If there is no big city with that wonderful clubs we must invent it!

Sayeth Voltaire!

Any unbooked year left ?

great lists Nj and Honorio
Love that variety

Pencilultimate post in last thread, Panda from Rwanda!
Videlicet: 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

(Yes, somebody took 2007.)

Have a choice!

2002 for me, some great songs some of you would dare overlook !
(no wonder why nobody wants 1999 )

1991 otisredding
1992 Rune
1993 Jonah
1994 John
1995 Slush
1996 netjade
1997 Penguin
1998 mismaiome
1999 ?
2000 nicolas
2001 Honorio
2002 Lonesome Panda
2003 ?
2004 ?
2005 ?
2006 ?
2007 Slush

otis, your lists have always inspired me, so I really look forward to your list for 1991!

I'd like to take too-taw-zound-seax.

Thanks to Henrik be included in the year 1991 and Honorio for offering to help but these days I can not do this job. Keep yourselves that you do very well.

This is just a test. I've never hung a video and I want to know if I understand correctly the instructions of Stephan and Honorio.

## (--) Sexuality (1991). Billy Bragg

I am surprised: is the easiest things I've done in my life. Thanks to Stephan and Honorio. Try to deal with any year, but later, because now I can not.

Don't worry, Otis. There's no hurry. Choose the year you want. I'll translate anyway.

Haha, I just looked at 1999. No wonder no one wants to do that list, it's possible that no song from 1999 would make it.

No wonder no one wants to do that list, it's possible that no song from 1999 would make it.

I smell a lot of dead end Prince jokes in that sphere...

who takes 1991 if otis can not ?
(well... i could )

I've asked a friend to take it. He's already made his top. He'll post it later today.

Pandy mandy, you can take 1998. I'll take 1999.

I already have 2002, might be too close from each other

Nah, come on. I can still remember the while it took to get from 1998 to 2002. It seemed like a fair amount of time back then.

Sorry, it's the first time I read this thread. Is it a game ?
I'd like to be part of it.
What have I to do ? Choosing one of the year mentioned and making a personal top 10 songs of that year illustrated by videos ?
If I'm right, I'm OK to do any of the years. It looks very fun !

Yes, but you can only pick from the 10 songs featured in the last top 10 and the 10 top-ranked songs on AM for the particular year. We try to host it sort of like a radio show.

Hey, Dumbangel. Sure.

You have to choose between the 10 songs of the person from the last year, and from the 10 songs of your year.

So you have to make a Top 10 out of 20 songs.

This is interesting because it shows us how our different tastes filter the most acclaimed songs.

Ah ok...
I don't like much the top songs on AM during the 10 last years. It's full of hip-hop/R&B and you all know what I think about it.

Dumbangel, how about doing 2008 according to the current Rate Your Music! list?

I'm assuming you could choose whichever Hot Chip song you liked out of the three.

Bof bof...

< font size="91" >1991!< /font >"The year that punk broke through!"

1991!

The year that punk broke through.

Does Bono know what this song means? They shouldn't play it at weddings, anyway!

10. (NEW) U2 – One (1991)

Pop perfectly disguised as metal. Think twice before you dismiss its catchiness. Reminds me of Doom (the game) - those were the days.

9. (NEW) Metallica – Enter Sandman (1991)

The other 91 anthem.

8. (NEW) Pearl Jam – Jeremy (1991)

Sorry - was having big problems posting yesterday for unexplained reasons.

Such a cute and crazy song.

7. (2) (2 years) Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart (1990)

Scary scary video. But the song is great.

6. (6) (2 years) Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring (1990)

They couldn't, for the life of them, think of writing a pop single - but then their producer helped them out, and in fact their best song came through.

5. (NEW) Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The Bridge (1991)

And now this. Their finest moment.

4. (NEW) R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (1991)

It came out in 1988, but it took the slightly different remix from 1990 - which focused on the hook - for it to become a timeless classic.

4. (1) (2 years) The La's - There She Goes (1990)

Sorry, above I meant

3. (1) (2 years) The La's - There She Goes (1990)

It's strange how 1991 seemed to define that whole decade, in the end. Perhaps this song defined it better than any other.

2. (NEW) Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (1991)

Whoops! Unfinished Sympathy's video:

And finally.

Kurt's attempt at the ultimate pop song worked. Take that, Michael Jackson.

1. (NEW) Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (1991)

1. (NEW) Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (1991)
2. (NEW) Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (1991)
3. (1) (2 years) The La's - There She Goes (1990)
4. (NEW) R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (1991)
5. (NEW) Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The Bridge (1991)
6. (6) (2 years) Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring (1990)
7. (2) (2 years) Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart (1990)
8. (NEW) Pearl Jam – Jeremy (1991)
9. (NEW) Metallica – Enter Sandman (1991)
10. (NEW) U2 – One (1991)

How to make the 80s disappear completely...welcome to AM vanilla path!