Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatles Survivor: Cut 20- Wild card round!

I didn't see any negative response to a wild card week so let's do it. This seems to be the perfect time to do it, before we get into the top 100 and while new voters are coming in.

IMPORTANT: THIS WEEK WE ARE VOTING FOR THE SONGS THAT WE WANT BACK IN THE COMPETITION. 5 SONGS WILL BE ADDED WITH THE SAME RULES APPLYING TO TIES.

I'm going to change the rules for this wild card round only. ONLY NOMINATE 5 SONGS giving 5 points to #1, 4 points to #2 etc. Please remember to use the format as described below in the normal rules. The colon is important as it helps me separate tabs in Excel in one or two clicks.

Eliminated:

16 points: Birthday
13 points: The Word
12 points: Baby's in Black
11 points: Glass Onion
11 points: The Ballad of John and Yoko
11 points: Dig a Pony

Close: Because, Polythene Pam, And I Love Her, Mean Mr. Mustard

RULES: Vote for 10 Beatles songs assigning 5 points to two, 4 points to two, 3 points to two, 2 points to two and 1 point to two. Please put the point value next to each song. Please follow this format to make it easy for me to plug into Excel.

5: Song
5: Song
4: Song
4: Song etc...

Comments are very welcome but not required. I'd like it if you give an overall comment but you don't have to.

5 songs will be eliminated every Monday and Thursday and a new vote will begin each day. The deadline for submitting a list is 2PM on each elimination day. In the event of a tie all songs receiving the elimination vote will be eliminated.

THE MASTER LIST!

211. Revolution #9
210. Love Me Do
209. Dig It!
208. Dizzy Miss Lizzie
207. Maggie Mae
206. Devil in Her Heart
205. A Taste of Honey
204. Matchbox
203. You Know My Name (Look up the Number)
202. Bad Boy
201. PS I Love You
200. When I Get Home
199. Wild Honey Pie
198. Boys
197. Flying
196. Mr. Moonlight
195. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey
194. Anna (Go To Him)
193. Run For Your Life
192. Her Majesty
191. Act Naturally
190. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
189. Chains
188. Honey Don't
187. Not a Second Time
186. You Really Got a Hold On Me
185. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
184. Baby It's You
183. Till There Was You
182. Rock and Roll Music
181. Roll Over Beethoven
180. Misery
179. It's All Too Much
178. Words of Love
177. When I'm 64
176. For You Blue
175. Blue Jay Way
174. The Inner Light
173. Money (That's What I Want)
172. Please, Mr. Postman
171. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
170. Only a Northern Song
169. You Like Me Too Much
168. Slow Down
167. Good Night
166. Thank You Girl
165. Little Child
164. Rocky Raccoon
163. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
162. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
161. One After 909
160. All Together Now
159. I Wanna Be Your Man
158. Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
157. Yes It Is
156. There's a Place
155. Ask Me Why
154. I'll Get You
153. Yellow Submarine
152. Hold Me Tight
151. I Me Mine
150. Octopus's Garden
149. I Need You
148. Your Mother Should Know
147. Revolution 1
146. Honey Pie
145. Don't Bother Me
144. Tell Me What You See
143. Do You Want To Know a Secret?
142. All I've Got To Do
141. Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
140. Drive My Car
139. I've Got a Feeling
138. Michelle
137. What Goes On
136. Hey Bulldog
135. Piggies
134. All You Need Is Love
133. Another Girl
132. Any Time at All
131. The Long and Winding Road
130. Within You, Without You
129. This Boy
128. I Don't Want To Spoil the Party
127. Old Brown Shoe
126. It's Only Love
125. Don't Pass Me By
124. Long Tall Sally
123. I Call Your Name
122. I'll Cry Instead
121. I'm Down
120. Tell Me Why
119. The Night Before
118. Every Little Thing
117. Long, Long, Long
116. What You're Doing
115. I'll Be Back
114. Sun King
113. Wait
112. She's a Woman
111. You Can't Do That
110. Doctor Robert
109. Yer Blues
108. It Won't Be Long
107. Birthday
106. The Word
105. Baby's in Black
104. Glass Onion
103. The Ballad of John and Yoko
102. Dig a Pony

Discography

Please Please Me

1. I Saw Her Standing There
7. Please Please Me
14. Twist And Shout

With the Beatles

3. All My Loving

A Hard Day's Night

1. Hard Day's Night, A
2. I Should Have Known Better
3. If I Fell
5. And I Love Her
7. Can't Buy Me Love
10. Things We Said Today

Beatles For Sale

1. No Reply
2. I'm A Loser
5. I'll Follow The Sun
8. Eight Days A Week

Help!

1. Help
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl
7. Ticket To Ride
12. I've Just Seen A Face
13. Yesterday

Rubber Soul

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won't See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. Think For Yourself
9. Girl
10. I'm Looking Through You
11. In My Life
13. If I Needed Someone

Revolver

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Love You To
5. Here, There And Everywhere
7. She Said She Said
8. Good Day Sunshine
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Got To Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
13. A Day In The Life

Magical Mystery Tour

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Fool On The Hill, The
6. I Am The Walrus
7. Hello Goodbye
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane
10. Baby You're A Rich Man

The Beatles (White Album)

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. Martha My Dear
10. I'm So Tired
11. Blackbird
16. I Will
17. Julia

3. Mother Nature's Son
4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
5. Sexy Sadie
6. Helter Skelter
10. Savoy Truffle
11. Cry Baby Cry

Yellow Submarine (ELIMINATED)

Abbey Road

1. Come Together
2. Something
4. Oh! Darling
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. End, The

Let It Be

1. Two Of Us
2. Dig A Pony
3. Across The Universe
6. Let It Be
12. Get Back

A Sides and B Sides:

From Me To You
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Rain
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down

Re: Beatles Survivor: Cut 20- Wild card round!

5: I've Got a Feeling
4: The Night Before
3: I Need You
2: Don't Bother Me
1: She's a Woman

5: Money (That's What I Want)
4: Any Time at All
3: Every Little Thing
2: There's a Place
1: It Won't Be Long

Wow! I didn't expect to see a cover voted for let alone a 5 point vote.

5: The Long and Winding Road
4: All You Need Is Love
3: Octopus's Garden
2: Piggies
1: When I'm 64

Clearly I favor the later stuff...

5: THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD: It borders on saccharine, but it's also one of Paul's best piano compositions - an effortless melody (with a heartwrenching orchestral arrangement) and touching lyrics -- making it a fitting swan song to the greatest collective career in pop music history.
4: PIGGIES: It's silly, but also deceptively clever. A "damn good whacking" to those who voted it out.
3: ASK ME WHY: It's true-woo-woo-woo-woo -- this one is a bit of guilty pleasure (if indeed that label can apply to the Beatles). Lennon's vocal is delicious.
2: THERE'S A PLACE: Another "Please Please Me" vote. Killer harmonies, and just a great arrangement.
1: YER BLUES: Jack White took some cues from this one.

I have to agree that the vocal is pretty good in Ask Me Why. But the song is pretty atrocious. But, I understand the guilty pleasure.

I'm puzzled why no one else is explaining their choices. Sell us on these songs! Use this as an opportunity to perhaps change some minds, in the event that any of your picks make it back into the game. Otherwise, they could get voted back out as quickly as the first time.

Yeah I should have. I was starting too, but it all sounded the same. I'll try again later.

Sorry,explanations are not my strong point

5 - The Long And Winding Road
4 - All You Need Is Love
3 - Yer Blues
2 - Yellow Submarine
1 - Doctor Robert

Looks like The Long and Winding Road is coming back...

5 pts - Rocky Raccoon : one of my favorite Beatles song
4 - Revolution 1
3 - Piggies
4 - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
5 - The long and winding road

One of the best qualities of the Beatles I think is that they never took themselves too seriously

5: All You Need Is Love - A great message, a captivating chorus, beautiful harmonies and lots of trumpets. All in all, this is one of Beatles' best songs!
4: Piggies - The straggling songs on the White album are (not surprisingly) voted out too fast in this game. Piggies, with George's left-wing lyrics, is one of Beatles most important songs.
3: When I'm Sixty-Four - I love the music hall mood. One of Paul's best.
2: Love Me Do - I'm sure this was voted out because it's simple and well-known. But it is A LOT better than the simple lesser know songs. In fact, it's an impressive first single.
1: Drive My Car - Beep beep, beep beep, yeah!

This was pretty easy for me, the most of the rest really isn't that good.

These ones belong for sure to the Top 100:
1. Drive My Car: sorry for quoting myself, but from Cut 14: … a great song, one of the best rockers from Paul McCartney & The Beatles, with a fresh cowbell-based beat, a propulsive bass and guitar riff (one of the few cases that Macca approved a Harrison idea for an arrangement), a fine keyboard part, a tight Lennon-McCartney harmony, an inspired blues-based melody and a quite funny lyrics (maybe most of you have penalized it for the lyrics). Too many flavours in my opinion for being punished like that. I don’t care if it really deserves the Top 10, but for sure it’s Top 100 (in my humble opinion, of course).
2. All You Need Is Love: although I surely understand the reason because it’s gone so early (horreur, hippie lyrics!) this is an excellent piece with a groundbreaking use of fragments of other songs (yes, I know, The Beatles didn’t invented this too).
3. The Long and Winding Road: Anthony said it perfectly, it’s impossible to find a better closer to The Beatles career. Paul shows here that he can croon (almost) better than Frank Sinatra, write a melody (almost) better than Burt Bacharach and write a lyric (almost) better than John Lennon.
4. Piggies: I wanted to vote for some Harrison tune here, first I thought of “It’s All Too Much”, then of “For You Blue”, but seeing the love (that I share) for the sweet yet bizarre “Piggies” I’m going to do a strategic vote: Save the Piggies!
5. Not a Second Time: hate to quote myself again, but you can go to Cut 7 (if you want).

Thanks for the props, Honorio!

And yes, looks like one little piggy is "wee wee wee"ing all the way home. (or something like that, lol) I'm surprised by the support, actually.

Piggies is a great song, it's like a cartoon
and after hearing it you see those piggies living pigy lives with their piggy wives

Thursday 19 September, 1968

Basic track recordings for the splendidly acerbic social comment George Harrison song, easily as biting (and equally lacking in subtlety!) as his 'Taxman'.

"All four Beatles were there for the session and we were working in number two" recalls Chris Thomas. "I wandered into number one and found a harpsichord, not knowing that it had been set up overnight for a classical recording. So we discussed wheeling the thing into number two but Ken Scott said 'No, we can't, it's there for another session!'. So we moved our session into number one instead"

Eleven takes were made of the 'Piggies' basic rhythm track on this night; harpsichord (Thomas), acoustic guitar (George), tambourine (Ringo) and a good bass line by Paul, his individual string plucking managing to evoke the sound of a pig grunting. That was as far as 'Piggies' went for the moment, but overdubbing would begin and end on 20 September.

(from Lewisohn's book, Beatles Recording Sessions)

All right here's why you should put these back in and stop the madness:

I've Got a Feeling- A Day In the Life showed the differences between Lennon and McCartney in the mid-60's. This song shows the difference between Paul and John at the end and it melds them together beautifully. You see John's negative side and Paul's optimism like a conversation between the two, one saying that the world is falling apart while Paul retorts, "But I have a feeling it's going to change". This is also the Beatles best "rock" song.

The Night Before- Help and Rubber Soul are my favorite Beatles albums because they took those simple early songs and began to tell stories with similar subjects. It's as close as they ever got to Dylan type songs but with amazing harmonies and vocals. They weren't Dylan but they lost the cheesiness of the early catalog and hadn't yet started writing more abstract psychedelia. It's just great pop that we can all relate to. The Night Before takes everything great about an early Beatles song and adds a dash of maturity.

I Need You- George Harrison writing a confessional Lennon-esque song.... and he succeeds. It's simple, to the point and beautiful.

Don't Bother Me- Another Harrison song. George actually said this is one of his worst songs, but I think it's his second best next to I Need You. Lyrically, it was way different than anything the Lennon/McCartney were writing at that time and probably the most negative song pre-Beatles For Sale. It stands out next to the early Beatles work.

She's A Woman- I don't really expect this one to get back in, but again, it's another McCartney rock song that I really like. The chorus is a little bit lacking, but the verses rival any Beatles song.

Nicely put, John. Out of your picks, I'd say that "I Need You" is the one that best deserves to still be around, although, you do make a good case for "Don't Bother Me" too. (Wait... I didn't vote for any of those, did I? lol)

And more of the John/Paul dichotomy:

McCartney: "It's getting better all the time"
Lennon: "It can't get no worse"

or...

McCartney: "We can work it out"
Lennon: "Life is very short..."

I've Got a Feeling happens to be just like A Day in the Life though as it's two completely different songs that were joined together. Paul was writing about Linda who he was going to marry and John was writing about his past year when a whole bunch of bad things happened to him including his divorce to Cynthia.

5: It's All Too Much
4: Hey Bulldog
3: Don't Pass Me By
2: The Inner Light
1: She's A Woman

5: Octopus's Garden
I like Ringo and most of his simple kept, but dear and entertaining songs. But I'm probably biased by the German "Sesame Street"-version: "Ich woll't ich wär/ unten im Meer..."

4: Your Mother Should Know
I think it's a potentially great song that loses its drive a bit after the really great beginning. I think that the melody of the first few lines is really wonderful and charming. Sadly the melanchonical mood doesn't last throughout the whole song, but still: a good song.

3: Drive My Car
Never thought that this would be eliminated that early. It's a well written and flawlessly performed song that is a favourite of many people I know, and by right.

2: Michelle
Cheesy? Well, not in my opinion. I really loved that song years ago; I'm not that fond of it any more, but still think that it deserves at least to be within the Top 100 Beatles songs. It has a nice melody, is very moody and the guitar work is very well played.

1: You like me too much
What I always liked about that song is that it lacks this all too well known verse-chorus pattern. The verse is sung in a catchy melody with short notes and is the true attraction of the song.

Wow, this week's elimination was maybe the most hurting to me! I would like to vote for The Word, Dig a Pony and maybe Birthday to come back, but it's way more sensate to vote for songs that have been eliminated in a long time.

5) Piggies: My #7 Beatles track. This is one of those rare cases of pseudo-bad songs. Apparently its only a catchy silly song to pass some political content but, after an amount of auditions, you realize that those delicious harpsichord melodies and Harrison's kind vocals are solid enough to continue looking enthusiastic. With a short melody as a basis, George and co. developed a variable and atypical piece, constructing the most strange of the White Album's folky tracks. Yet, it still is the perfect sequence to the standard Blackbird. Anytime I finish listening to Macca's one, the introduction solo of Piggies instantly come to my mind.
4) I Me Mine: Since the obscure beginning to the unexpected and open ending, passing by the awesome guitar work, by Spector's haunting arrangements and by George's attempt at compass variations, this song is thrilling anytime I listen to it.
3) Your Mother Should Know: This is maybe my favorite of those hall music tracks recorded by Paul. Here we have an innocent but shining vocal that, along with the piano accords, flow effortlessly during the song time while the backing vocals go slightly growing and marking the song's evolution. An amazing lucid moment within Magical Mystery Tour's psychedelic travel.
2) Drive My Car: Undoubtedly one of The Beatles greatest classics. As in tfguenther's case, it's a favorite of many people I know, either. It's one of Rubber Soul's tracks that mostly retains the fab's early spirit, but bringing it to the highest possible quality level. Beep beep'm beep beep, yeah!!!
1) I've Got a Feeling: See John's comments above.

And there are still many other tracks I would like to vote for. As the majority are those pre-Rubber Soul's energetic songs (Tell Me Why, Any Time at All, The Night Before, Another Girl, and some others that are so hated here that I won't tell,hehe), I had thought of putting One After 909 to represent them all, but, as it wasn't possible, it stays in this comment as a "Bonus".

5: Hey Bulldog
4: It's All Too Much
3: All You Need Is Love
2: Piggies
1: Octopus's Garden

5: Drive My Car: The underlying piano during the chorus is pure bliss. Beep beep...what everyone else said.
4: Rocky Raccoon: Yes, it could easily fit in a children's book. Not every song has to be so serious...
3: Long and Winding Road: Wonderfully cinematic.
2: My favourite of the 64/Mother Should Know/Honey "granny music" trilogy by Paul..perhaps because it's the most tongue-in-cheek.
1: Till There Was You: Not that it has a chance to get in, but wanted to voice my appreciation for a great band covering a great showtune.

While the Beatles were recording 'Drive My Car',Dylan was recording 'Desolation Row' and 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' - it's like Britney Spears and Radiohead in the late 90s,early 2000s

That's obviously meant for shock value. Beck vs. Radiohead would be a better comparison. When they were performing those songs Tommy James and the Shondells were doing Hanky Panky.

Oh, not that Beatles vs Dylan debate again....
I love them both

A little late with my comments, but I figured a couple of remarks were in order about my choices. I didn't think my 5 points would be enough to put "Money" back in play, but I just wanted to reiterate my earlier comment that it's the cover version that's the exception to the rule, even more so than "Twist and Shout" (which is thankfully still around) - it's harder-edged and crazier, with that relentlessly pumping piano and Paul and George's manically robotic backing vocals (which, admittedly, drive some people up the wall), and John going nuts on top of it all.

As for my other four choices ("Any Time at All", "Every Little Thing", "There's a Place", and "It Won't Be Long"), they're all of a piece: shining examples of the impeccably crafted yet still exciting pop-rock gems that Lennon and McCartney were effortlessly cranking out from the beginning. All feature indelible melodies and harmonies and are dotted with perfect little grace notes (the piano doubling the guitar on "Any Time"'s bridge, the timpani on the chorus of "Every Little Thing", Ringo's drumming on "There's a Place", the coda of "It Won't Be Long") that a less sophisticated group (working with a less sophisticated producer - mustn't ever forget to acknowledge Mr. Martin) wouldn't even think of adding.