Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bon Iver

Just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on this album.

It's been in my house for over 2 months now, and it has slowly become a part of me. I knew right off that I loved the record, and had given it a perfect 5/5 star review for the news paper that I write for. I personally think we are gunna be hard pressed to find an album later this year that will be as accomplished as this. Justin Vernon's voice and unique guitar sound on this album ranks him amoungst some of the greatest debut albums of all time in my opinion. It reminds me alot of Neil Young's Everybody Know's this is nowhere with a dash of Tonight's the night intimacy. If you havent yet listened to this soon to be classic record, I highly suggest you do.

Re: Bon Iver

I don't like it. But, I'm not in the mood these days for anything slow and moody like that which seems to be everything that is being released. Where's my summer music?

Well, I agree with Kevin, I've completely fallen for it, and I often overlook or fail to latch onto your average softly-spoken indie folksmith. I've only heard it 4 or 5 times through, but it sits tied for 1st place with Portishead thus far on my best-of-2008 list at the moment. Geez, i guess with those two, I should be after some summer music too - maybe I need to lighten up a bit!

I think it's great too, an 8.5 for me. The only album I prefer to Bon Iver of this year is Shallow Graves.

It's definitely in the top tier for me, but not at the very top. A great sound that for me, never hits quite hard enough to be considered great.

Though, in my alternate formula for critic rankings, it just passed Portishead for #1.