The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
portishead

My dear fellow AMers,

I need your assistance. I've proposed the bosses on the site I write for to review the new Portishead.
Fact is I'm not a huge fan of the band (although I really like their first album), and I haven't much to say about "Third".

So would you help me with my homework ? I mean I'm not gonna copy/paste what you'll say, of course
Anyway it'll be in French, so you won't be able to tell

"Explain why you love (or don't love) Portishead's Third"

Re: portishead

God, I can't stand that album...

That, of course, could make for a very entertaining review.

Well, finally after a third listening, i have to admit the music is very well written and played, but the problem is that Beth Gibbons seems to be over depressed to the unbearable
and I 'm not a fan of that cold direction they gave to their sound
evreybody does that nowadays... they've lost a ot of their originality (that subtle mix of dance and pop they had crafted for Dummy>:i>)
and it's way too depressed for me

oh this html...

A Swedish magazine called it "a soundtrack to Amstetten"...

Well, I like it a lot. But nowhere near as much as I like Dummy.

I agree, it's probably the best trip-hop in 10 years (lack of competition I suppose) but Dummy was definitely better.

i've sent my review now
strange album : I agree the music is sometimes beautiful, but anyway it is the perfect album for the very predictable critics : experimental, dark, and unaccessible to the general public, much less accessible than "Dummy"
Once they managed to appeal to electronic dance lovers and alternative rock fans, now they fall in the second category only.
That's more or less what i wrote
Despite being still very idiosynchratic and personnal, their music is no longer original.
Now, with their krautrock influenced music and their self pitying lyrics, they are not so far from Radiohead's niche.
And it is painful and tiring to me hearing a beautiful 40-year old woman singing the same claustrophobic lyrics all through the album like a lost teenager.
That exactly the point raised by Toni in the Beatles Survivor thread : depressed songs and lyrics are always praised by the critics
Humor, exuberance and frivolity are often cast aside.
Pity.

Not really, Nicolas. Please witness Oasis.

As for Third, I think it's rather dry and smoked.

And this doesn't only apply to music-critics. It's the same with film-critics: To get an OSCAR you have a much better chance, if you play a character that is mentally ill or if the movie is a drama.
A comedy has no chance.

Sure it does. It's just harder. But surely someone taking that fact on as a challenge instead of an obstacle would be better off.

Whoa, I'm listening to Sun Kil Moon right now.. Portishead would probably sound like Santa Claus on a snowy morning right about now. My god this is depressing.

Do post a link to your review when it gets published, Nicolas

I will
It will be released on the 27th
I wish I could translate those reviews for non-French speakers but I have no time and energy left for that...

I think Third's on the same level as Dummy. But then again I think Dummy's a little overrated.

Third is currently my favorite album in the last five years, but it's starting to come down a bit.

Let me post a (quite) funny personal true story that illustrates the scary qualities of the last Portishead incarnation. On Wednesday night my 8 year-old son Miguel jumped into our bed during the night.
Honorio: What’s the matter, Miguel?
Miguel: I’m scared, I was having a nightmare.
H: Don’t worry, Mike, it was just a dream. But tell me, what kind of nightmare, son?
M: I was dreaming about those little men of daddy’s magazine.
H: What daddy’s magazine? And what little men? Anyway, don’t worry, Mike, you’re with mom and dad now. Sleep here with us for a while.
Next morning I saw the magazine (“daddy’s magazine” was the last issue of Rockdelux) and I just had to laugh. On the cover there was a photo of Portishead and I had to admit that was really creepy. The expression on the face of Beth Gibbons (with her eyes almost out of the sockets) was quite terrifying but the thing that scared my son the most was the two blurred figures of Barlow and Utley in the background.

share your files at box.net

Maybe if Rockdelux staff had chosen this other relaxed picture my son could have had sweet dreams…

share your files at box.net

Here is my review (en Français, sorry)